PDA

View Full Version : After win @UW Zag's @ #10 Kenpom. Significant?

MontanaCoyote
12-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Just asking.

sittingon50
12-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Well for me it means they're a better club than I expected them to be, though I felt they would be good.

TexasZagFan
12-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Well for me it means they're a better club than I expected them to be, though I felt they would be good.

Looks like our team learned the lesson delivered by Nova a few days ago.

thebigsmoove
12-11-2017, 04:59 AM
our offense was spectacular vs Washington and we are now the 8th ranked offense in the country. Defense was much better than vs Nova, but it still leaves a lot to be desired compared to last seasons #1 ranked defense (we are now 27th). We just need to continue to work on our weaknesses and by march we will be much better than we are now.

Ekrub
12-11-2017, 05:37 AM
our offense was spectacular vs Washington and we are now the 8th ranked offense in the country. Defense was much better than vs Nova, but it still leaves a lot to be desired compared to last seasons #1 ranked defense (we are now 27th). We just need to continue to work on our weaknesses and by march we will be much better than we are now.

No disrespect to our current players, but don't think we come close to last year defensively without karnowski. Larsen may develop into that kind of presence (maybe) but he has a ways to go.

Zagnificent
12-11-2017, 05:42 AM
No disrespect to our current players, but don't think we come close to last year defensively without karnowski. Larsen may develop into that kind of presence (maybe) but he has a ways to go.

We will trend up in the defensive ranking as a larger sample size is created. Those Florida and Nova games currently hold a lot of weight. Florida especially shot lights out. From a qualitative standpoint, we're very good, and certainly top-20 defensively, but there's not replacing a Karnowski. Best we can do is hope to make up for that loss in the aggregate, but that's not gonna happen this year with all the fresh faces.

willandi
12-11-2017, 06:34 AM
Not worth starting a new thread over, but...Should Larsen grow a full beard? Become Mount Lars in the middle!

MontanaCoyote
12-11-2017, 06:49 AM

Sure hope Larsen "Karnowski's." But ain't it the truth. Just the fact that Karno was there, present and waiting on D, made such a huge difference on D. It's Hard to Move A Mountain!

bartruff1
12-11-2017, 07:06 AM
To me the ratings are interesting but not significant.....winning solves everything in sports....Gonzaga will likely improve in all the numbers as other teams lose...

WallaWallaZag
12-11-2017, 07:06 AM
Sure hope Larsen "Karnowski's." But ain't it the truth. Just the fact that Karno was there, present and waiting on D, made such a huge difference on D. It's Hard to Move A Mountain!

what made karnowski special aside from his pure size was his innate understanding of positioning...he didn't allow the opponent to get to the spots they were comfortable playing from. of course, doing so is much easier when no one can move you from where you want to go or back you down. larsen will have to utilize his superior athleticism to make up for the size difference he lack in comparison to karno.

gonzagafan62
12-11-2017, 07:09 AM
We are too 10 in offensive efficiency and top 30 in defense. I can live with that. Defense needs some work though

TexasZagFan
12-11-2017, 08:08 AM
Referring to the thread's title, what was "significant" to me was how they responded to the Villanova game, as compared to say Arizona or Kansas.

The Zags went into the opponent's house, and absolutely dominated the game. If anyone had questions about this team's character, those should have been dispelled.

As usual, the coaching staff prepared them well for UW (not saying they didn't prepare them well for Nova).

O/T, the way we didn't respond to Nova IMO should be a cautionary tale about the rumors of joining the Big East. Our record on trips to the East Coast is hardly stellar, only game I can favorably recall is when we upset UNC. Losses to Duke and Davidson are what come to mind for me.

TravelinZag
12-11-2017, 09:06 AM
We are too 10 in offensive efficiency and top 30 in defense. I can live with that. Defense needs some work though

That's excellent given our record. Would prefer the reverse: #10 defense, #30 offense. Points please fans and taco purveyors. Defense wins championships. Either way, believe both figures should, and will improve. If we improve steadily during the rest of the season, should make the dance with five or six losses, even if we lose both the regular season and league tourney. Beyond five or six losses, need to top the WCC in at least one. Gonzaga could win both and be the only WCC team invited. Excluding the Zags, no way the WCC gets two bids. "We gotta get out of this place . . ."

Go Zags!

DixieZag
12-11-2017, 09:17 AM
what made karnowski special aside from his pure size was his innate understanding of positioning...he didn't allow the opponent to get to the spots they were comfortable playing from. of course, doing so is much easier when no one can move you from where you want to go or back you down. larsen will have to utilize his superior athleticism to make up for the size difference he lack in comparison to karno.

Agree that Karno's sheer mass and height altered the game, and he had a good understanding of angles, etc, great "vision."

Hope Larsen becomes his own man. If one recalls, Karno didn't step into the spotlight playing as he did as a senior. His Frosh year he hustled a bit more, but also fell a lot and a lot of wasted movement that passed as he learned. Larsen is a better athlete it seems (that's actually not a high bar, but also not the biggest concern). He seems longer, and quicker.

Larsen doesn't have the frame Karno had and likely will never have the bulk Karno had. But, as he learns that court presence, he may end up having just as big an impact using his abilities unique to him.

Certainly a fantastic kid, and it is our right as Zags to have a great 7' footer as part of the group. Sacre, Olynick, Shem, Collins, Larsen .... good company.