PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-UW

Section 116
12-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Hudson: Zags receiving cheers from a lot of blue and red clad fans as they leave the floor after a 97-70 victory. Game tied at 4, Zags go ahead to stay and never trailed. GU executed in the second half and just did whatever they wanted, UW just did not put up any resistance. They really turned it around after the poor performance in NYC. Zags hovered around 60-65% shooting for the second half. UW shot well in the second half as well but they just couldn't keep up. 6 players carry the offensive load for the Zags; starters and Hachimura all in double figures. Kispert with 3 and Larsen with a couple rounded out the GU scoring. Zags owned the boards 42-27 and GU also shot well from the line, 21-26 @ 81%.

Michaelson: What a response after Villanova. It's hard to beat Kansas as Kansas and this is the game of the year for them, a full house and for us to come in here and do what we did, well must wow. For the most part we took good care of the ball. Once we settled in we controlled the glass, they only had 2 offensive rebounds in the second half. NOt many threes for them, Dickerson had some but we were willing to let him take them and he made them. This might the best game Perkins ever played in a Zag uniform. Rui responded and Snaks is Snaks, what can I say, third game in row over 20 ( I think). It was good Kispert got some minutes at home. It's unfortunate he had to battle that injury before coming over here. Our bench played really well when they had to come in to relieve some of our guys in foul trouble. Finals are coming up and won';t be easy. UND is an NCAA team and they have three starters back and they bring in a guy who might be the best in the Big Sky. And San Diego St is a tough place to play. They are a hard team to beat at their place. We're really happy with Rui. After he missed a couple early shots Daniels turned to me and said, Rui's got em right where he wants him, huh and they he went off.

Back to Hudson and Morrison: 23 points for JW3, 12 rebounds and a couple assists. Only one turnover, a great response after a really tough game at Villanova. Hudson and Morrison really liked the Norvell dunk and the and one. They said we didn't know he had that in him. Norvell played 36 minutes tonight, most of any Zag. Perkins 4-5, 8 assists and four steals. The Zags took all hope away from the Huskies in the second half as UW was happy to just run up and down the floor and just trade baskets. Morrison said he was really jealous as his memory of playing there we going 0ff for 43 and losing. He said the Zags were running up and down the floor and really yapping at UW and that is what he really wanted to do. UW leading scoring Dickerson with 18 and Crisp with 16. Thybulle was a non factor with 5. Hudson said if you would have told me Norvell was going to get 36 minutes tonight, I would have really scratched my head. Few told Hudson the way Larsen had played recently he really has earned more playing time but he picked up a couple fouls and J3 was playing really well and they just didn;t have to use him. Morrison noted Larsen and Jones both are good team players and they will wait there turn for additional minutes and I know they will contribute. Kispert is still bothered somewhat by the ankle but he did get 13 minutes. That's pretty much it from the radio.

Added radio: GU's defense was very proactive tonight and they did all the right things.

Norvell interview: It was amazing. Coach told us coming over here UW had a lot of good guards. Right after the NYC game we told ourselves we were going to fix those mistakes, so we worked really hard on that. I feel like I'm a really confident guy when it comes to my shot. I have to work on my defense. Hudson siad Silas wants to borrow some of Norvell's confidence. The coaches are always telling me to keep going, keep shooting. Norvell said he likes Spokane a lot. Also said he doens't care if he starts as he has filled in for Kispert. He just wants to help the team.

Morrison said the GU's take the UW rivalry seriously, they always say Spokane is a dump so we really like to put it to them.

willandi
12-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Not post game radio, but I was listening to the Husky feed (only one I could get...and I think it was on there) and the color guy talked up Ammo. Said he averaged 13+ his rookie NBA season, injured his knee and the new coach wanted nothing to do with him. Pointed out that current NBA guys played against him, and he dominated at every level. It was the changing of the head coach, and the going to a stacked Lakers team that made people think he was a bust. He assured the listeners that he most certainly was not a bust. He was a victim of circumstance.

RenoZag
12-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Don MacLean told virtually the same anecdote during the PAC12 network telecast. . .

TexasZagFan
12-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Not post game radio, but I was listening to the Husky feed (only one I could get...and I think it was on there) and the color guy talked up Ammo. Said he averaged 13+ his rookie NBA season, injured his knee and the new coach wanted nothing to do with him. Pointed out that current NBA guys played against him, and he dominated at every level. It was the changing of the head coach, and the going to a stacked Lakers team that made people think he was a bust. He assured the listeners that he most certainly was not a bust. He was a victim of circumstance.

Wasn't that Spencer Hawes making those remarks? I heard he was doing color for UW. I remember Ammo being named Rookie of the Month for November. Drafted by the wrong team, just like Sabonis. I saw Adam against the Mavs, he was never meant for the triangle offense. In the second half they let him play, and he looked the old Ammo, flying around the court, moving without the ball...scored a dozen or so in ten minutes.

Hawes is right.

willandi
12-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Wasn't that Spencer Hawes making those remarks? I heard he was doing color for UW. I remember Ammo being named Rookie of the Month for November. Drafted by the wrong team, just like Sabonis. I saw Adam against the Mavs, he was never meant for the triangle offense. In the second half they let him play, and he looked the old Ammo, flying around the court, moving without the ball...scored a dozen or so in ten minutes.

Hawes is right.

It could have been. I was late to the broadcast, trying to get everything else to work. He did talk about the 42 in a losing cause, and being drafted 3 slots higher than Brandon Roy...and he said it was no mistake. The mistake was the coaching.

sittingon50
12-10-2017, 07:01 PM
McLean said it on Pac Network.

Have no idea about huskie broadcast.

JPtheBeasta
12-10-2017, 07:32 PM

I'm not a Kobe Bryant fan, but he said that Ammo could really play. That simple sentence said a lot.

I really thought Adam was going to get a second shot when he was going off for 40 during summer league a couple of years ago....

ZionZag
12-10-2017, 07:44 PM
I'm not a Kobe Bryant fan, but he said that Ammo could really play. That simple sentence said a lot.

I really thought Adam was going to get a second shot when he was going off for 40 during summer league a couple of years ago....

Don't worry.....I think he made about $20m and has 2 rings....That's not a failure

TexasZagFan
12-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Ammo had the respect of his peers, I'm certain that's all that mattered to him. He didn't give a hoot about what others thought of him.

billyberu
12-10-2017, 08:01 PM
I nearly spit my drink out when the color guy says after Perkins made his first 3pter "the Huskies can live with that shot because how many times is Perkins going to make that shot?"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

zagbeliever
12-10-2017, 08:03 PM
I like Adam and I will always like him. He's doing well on the radio too.

Mantua
12-10-2017, 09:12 PM
I nearly spit my drink out when the color guy says after Perkins made his first 3pter "the Huskies can live with that shot because how many times is Perkins going to make that shot?"

Yeah:) That killed me!

Until we went on the 10-0 run he seemed to be commenting based on his assumptions with no research whatsoever.

a13coach
12-10-2017, 10:04 PM

And I believe on the very next Husky possession Dickerson hits a three and McClean doesn't point out that the Zags would definitely live with the Husky's 5-man hanging out in 3point land. McClean clearly did not do any research or back ground prep on the Zags for this game.

CDC84
12-11-2017, 12:49 AM

This is a true story folks = Adam was struggling with his shot when he was Charlotte. He asked a few Bobcat assistants to stay behind to help him with his shot. One asssitant said (I paraphrase): "It's all about the games at this level sonny, I need to prepare for the next opponent. Your bad shot is your problem."
This is despite the fact that Charlotte invested a ton of money in Ammo. In other words, this wasn't pick 57.

So Adam had to bring in, shall we say, a "hired" shot doctor from the outside.

This is why I get so pissed when people say that NBA coaches are better at teaching basketball skills than college coaches, and that because players can shoot 1,000,000 balls a day because of the NCAA time limit rules on practicing. In the NBA it's all about the games, and that is what the coaches are mostly about. Certain organizations like San Antonio do a much better job of training their players, but for the most part, what I say about Adam is true. There are just too many games. He learned more from his coaches at Gonzaga than he did in the NBA. And it only makes sense. Mark Few wins, what, 81% of his games. He has do it predominantly with players who don't possess NBA talent. If he can train those players to compete against a North Carolina, just imagine what he could do with great, great talents without ego who are open to coaching? Well, a hell of a lot better than the Charlotte idiots did with Adam. Mark is a teacher who teaches the game.

As far as the G-League is concerned? The whole idea is to get out! The fans don't care about the outcome of any of the games. They just want to see Sportscenter dunks. The guys are being brought up and sent down. It is not conducive to learning to be a winner in a cooperative sport. The G-League encourages selfishness in players, even if they mean well. Too many of those players would be learning so much more by playing college basketball, but if academics is not their thing, I understand that. I'd rather the scholarship go to someone who wants to go to school.

As we all know, Adam suffered an injury that also debilitated his ability to ever succeed as well. I 100% agree with many of the posters is this thread. Adam may have never been a multi-time NBA all star, but you cannot dominate college basketball at the level he did and not make a mark somewhere unless someone else played a significant hand in your demise. I understand the 2 levels are different, but that mainly applies to guys like JP Batista and Karnowski. That doesn't apply to a transcendent player like Adam who was of the games best college players of the past thirty years.

See my other post about the S-R analysis on the Pac 12 Network performance tonight. MacLean admitted that he never saw much of Gonzaga this season. The comment about Gonzaga not getting tested nearly enough in the WCC than they would if they were in the Pac 12 was beyond hilarious. Especially after Gonzaga just made the national title game besides not being in a power league.

CDC84
12-11-2017, 12:50 AM

He's only shooting 50% three (at a high volume). Without question one of the deadliest shooters in D-1 ball.

GrizZAG
12-11-2017, 01:36 AM
IMHO Adam was the most exciting player in a Zag uniform in our recent era and maybe ever. He played with MJ intensity and literally took over games at times. He embodies the rise of the Zag nation of fans. That UCLA snafu game derailed what would have been our first final four IMO. Adam would have got us there no doubt. His will to win was unsurpassed.

Zagger
12-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Ammo's doing a fine job on the radio broadcast. Thought he was a bit shaky early in the season but not any more :)
Ammo's the main reason my fan genes got turned on for GU - when I really started to pay attention to what the program was doing ... and what it keeps doing better and better, season after season. I really love Spokane and Adam was from town. We both went through Mead too so it was darn hard not becoming involved as a Zags fan when he exploded. Helped that between the wife, kid and I we have 4 GU degrees too :) Life is good! Go Zags!

Reborn
12-11-2017, 06:30 AM
It was weird for me to not watch the game on TV, However, I thought Adam Morrison was great. I was quite surprised. I think Hudson and Morrison are far better announcers than the crew that announces for Root. Hire Morrison. he has a great voice, and he is a great analyst.

I didn't like the noise, cheering. I could hardly hear the voices. I'm glad that we are only playing one team from the Pac-12.

GU69
12-11-2017, 09:18 AM
I think Hudson and Morrison are far better announcers than the crew that announces for Root. Hire Morrison. he has a great voice, and he is a great analyst.

Adam is a very good announcer. He knows what he is talking about and he is entertaining.

hooter73
12-11-2017, 10:20 AM
I like hearing his take because he's real about it. Says if GU screwed up, says if the refs are idiots, but always says why with a good, logical, technical explanation.

john montana
12-11-2017, 10:28 AM
He's only shooting 50% three (at a high volume). Without question one of the deadliest shooters in D-1 ball.

A “Decent” shooter according to one poster.

SWZag
12-11-2017, 12:07 PM
Thanks 116! Always appreciate the rundowns.

Adam is a very good announcer. He knows what he is talking about and he is entertaining.
One thing I like about Adam is that he says it like it is. He doesn't beat around the bush on events or calls during the game. He's point blank, "that was a bad call" and explains why. And then he's not a homer, he says "That's a good call" and explains why, even when it's against GU. I like that.