PDA

View Full Version : Mike Roth comments on Big East Expansion

Zagceo
12-07-2017, 09:53 PM
http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/12/07/web-quote_t1170.jpg?e2225bc5c1a75a1036ca3021fecba2b477 92abfe

Seem interested in keeping idea alive thats for sure.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/07/gonzaga-playing-in-the-big-east-far-fetched-or-the/

webspinnre
12-07-2017, 10:22 PM
While I don't think it'll ever happen, I'd be concerned if he wasn't doing this.

strikenowhere
12-08-2017, 05:38 AM
Its pretty obvious that once there are enough votes in place from the other Big East schools Gonzaga will bolt the WCC lickety split.

TexasZagFan
12-08-2017, 05:49 AM
The Volkar Center is not being built to keep Pepperdine (and others) from ascending in the WCC.

bartruff1
12-08-2017, 05:57 AM
They should have spent the 24 million on teleporting research.....

Zagdawg
12-08-2017, 06:02 AM
Glad that they are having the discussions and at least looking into it.

The time may come in the near future when we are ready to lose the ball and chain that is the WCC.......get er done!

The larger obstacle in recruiting is the WCC.

raise the zag
12-08-2017, 07:09 AM
As long as its bball only, the travel issue is overblown.

If worried about time zone changes, schedule GU games early, no later than 7 EST. Worried about student athletes? Well, they do all their 'homework' and tutoring on flights as is. An extra 90 mins to catch up on academics. Worried about cost? We already charter flights, and one more pit stop is easy and seamless.

We are only talking about January - March of coast to coast travel. I have friends who do it EVERY wk, 52 wks of year.

What do NBA teams do on a weekly basis? Sometimes several times a week.

Gonzaga would arguably have a better schedule than they do now under the new WCC commish. We travel for Thur and Saturday games, home and away.

In the BE, we would travel 1 wk, technically stay home the next 2 wks, then head back east after being home for 2 wks for 3 months. Same applies for the rest of BE schools, as they would travel to Spokane ONCE per year. Gonzaga would travel 5 or 6 trips in total. Maybe less if they bring on Wichita St.

Much like we already do now in OOC play...

Japan, Orlando, New York, Hawaii, etc.

A flight to San Diego is roughly 2 hr 40 mins, a flight to NY is around 4 hrs. Pretty big difference, yet they travel well, and can get more work done, if anything.

Geograhic location is a hurdle, but also an opportunity for both parties.

CDC84
12-08-2017, 08:22 AM
While I don't think it'll ever happen, I'd be concerned if he wasn't doing this.

For those who are in favor of GU staying in the WCC......this could be nothing more than a tactic to ignite the non-SMC/GU/BYU teams to start investing more in basketball. They like that tournament money that GU keeps bringing in. They don't want to GU to leave.

ZagsObserver
12-08-2017, 08:23 AM
GU should get to keep the bulk of the money they bring in. It’s a real shame.

509er
12-08-2017, 08:48 AM
The non basketball sports seem like they’d be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

Big East - West:
Gonzaga
SMC
BYU
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton
??

Saxon_zag
12-08-2017, 08:59 AM

Big East - West:
Gonzaga
SMC
BYU
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton
??

no SMC doesn't get to come lol. That would require them to leave their home state for road games and their HS gym is to small-time anyway.

strikenowhere
12-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Big East - West:
Gonzaga
SMC
BYU
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton
??

Wichita St. (Even though I know they just joined the AAC). Also, no way St. Mary's gets in.

thebigsmoove
12-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Whenever this discussion comes up, everyone talks about the issue of traveling for basketball...thats not an issue really, we would make it work. its 100% about the other sports. Thats the big hang up. Its not just us either, the big east teams dont want to have to send volleyball, soccer, cross country, rowing, track, and baseball out west. Its expensive.

bartruff1
12-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Well it would make perfect sense for the California Basketball League to vote Gonzaga, BYU and Portland off the island... a yuge reduction in their travel and per diem expenses....buses are pretty cheap and there would be few if any overnight stays...

Zagdawg
12-08-2017, 10:28 AM
They would lose a good percentage of their sports budgets when they have much less NCAA tournament money. ESPN would drop the WCC -- and there goes their broadcast money, as far as selling tickets to their games..... we know the primary draw is when the Zags come to town (and they package the 4 game ticket package--to get into see the Zags-- to make more money)-- so might as well toss out that revenue also.

Not a bright idea on their part -- that is why they do not shoot the golden goose.

CDC84
12-08-2017, 10:31 AM
I listened to Randy Bennett the other night on radio. Unless I heard him incorrectly, they signed a 3 year deal with Cal-Berkeley where every game is a Cal home game. This is despite the fact that Cal is now a bottom feeder in the Pac 12, has a brand new coach, and has an athletic dept. that's in a financial mess.

Yes, I know playing Cal at Cal saves on travel money, but there is really no resume benefit in playing these games for St. Mary's.

bartruff1
12-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Nickels and dimes...they would get their auto bid and follow the Ivy League example.....they know they can't compete against the professional sports teams their areas....makes no sense to invest millions in college basketball... they would be fine...

Like Gonzaga, they have their own agendas and will pursue their own self interests.

TexasZagFan
12-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Nickels and dimes...they would get their auto bid and follow the Ivy League example.....they know they can't compete against the professional sports teams their areas....makes no sense to invest millions in college basketball... they would be fine...

Like Gonzaga, they have their own agendas and will pursue their own self interests.

They can kiss the post season tournament in Vegas good bye. Without the Zags, the Orleans would lose tens of thousands of dollars.

I suppose they'd move it back to the Jenny Craig Center.

Zagceo
12-08-2017, 10:53 AM

because 22 million people in southern California couldn't possibly fill gyms the size of Pepperdine and Loyola on the same day....:D

Zagdawg
12-08-2017, 11:07 AM
ESPN contract runs through the 2018-2019 year-- makes you wonder with their revamp and challenges if they will extend it or let it go (or choose to just target specific schools).

Fox Big East contract gives $4 million per school per year.

ESPN WCC money estimate is $300K per school per year

"Something more comparable to the WCC is perhaps the Atlantic 10. The 16-school A-10 reportedly split $5 million per season or about $300,000 per year per team from their TV deals alone. It is a solid basketball-only conference doing a lot of the same kinds of things the WCC is doing, but with the added benefit of working with East Coast schools in some large TV markets."

https://www.loyalcougars.com/2015/03/23/byu-basketball/6761-wcc-revenue-more-than-doubled-from-2007-to-2012/

CDC84
12-08-2017, 12:46 PM
The money that Gonzaga gains from the ESPN contract is not what really matters to them. It's nice, but it's really about the exposure. 6pm PT games on ESPN or ESPN2 that everyone can watch. They get more money from their own contract with Root Sports.

zagdontzig
12-09-2017, 01:39 AM
I think this is the more telling quote from Roth: "We don’t invite our way in. This is by invitation only."

TexasZagFan
12-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Well it would make perfect sense for the California Basketball League to vote Gonzaga, BYU and Portland off the island... a yuge reduction in their travel and per diem expenses....buses are pretty cheap and there would be few if any overnight stays...

And Motel 6 will leave the light on for them.

Perhaps Fr. Bob Spitzer should have a talk with these university presidents. He saw the potential of how an upcoming, competitive sports program could energize students and alumni equally. Basketball is simply not that expensive on an annual basis: a few coaches and 13 scholarships.

Every school has alumni that would pony up if they saw the money was being spent wisely. I don't think the pitch can be "we're going after Gonzaga", but with a goal of making it to the Big Dance within 3-4 years.

As I've said before, Texas should be a focal point of every WCC team's recruiting effort. Thousands of kids are playing high quality basketball, in regions that can't compare with the natural beauty California has to offer. As a parent, all you have to do is get me on campus: "you're going to give my son a scholarship to be a student-athlete HERE? Where do I sign?"

One of our local boys, Jett Raines, played 4 years at Pepperdine. His senior year, he was honorable mention. Grab those 2-3 stars, coach 'em up for 4 years...you'll have a competitive team.

I've lived in Texas nearly 40 years, I love it here. However, I grew up in the Bay Area, and have visited most of the campuses in the WCC. The beauty of the WCC schools is a built-in advantage to most locales in Texas, and they are excellent universities.

Texas can be a gold mine...most schools in our area field two teams in both JV and freshman...there are at least a half dozen schools with student enrollment over 5000. To put it in perspective, Washington state's population is 7.5 million. North Texas has a half million less.

TexasZagFan
12-09-2017, 07:39 AM
because 22 million people in southern California couldn't possibly fill gyms the size of Pepperdine and Loyola on the same day....:D

No way, they're all at the beach.

TexasZagFan
12-09-2017, 07:47 AM
I think this is the more telling quote from Roth: "We don’t invite our way in. This is by invitation only."

Is he saying, "come talk to us, we're interested?" Zags are now a national brand, but bring little in terms of the number of viewers (Spokane's a very small market). That's BYU's problem, too. SMC is content to be who they are, so they don't bring much, because they're forgotten about behind all the pro sports and Cal and Stanford.

The days of ESPN overbidding (against themselves) for live sports are over. They will still be a player, but these gargantuan contracts have just about run their course. In order to keep the Big East competitive for TV, they may have to look at a coast to coast conference to bring in West Coast (and Texas viewers). I don't know what the ratings are in Texas, but except for alumni of BE schools, I don't know many here that give a hoot.

What I do know is the Texas Southern and IW games were broadcast on ATT (the Houston channel), plenty of ads for the Rockets. Never saw the ratings, but the Zags are appreciated in Texas.

bartruff1
12-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Both Butler and Creighton are national brands but Omaha and Indy are small media markets compared to the other teams in the Big East....the ratings for the Big East on Fox Sports are improving, but are still about half what they were under ESPN and the Old Big East...

I am not going to research the ratings for individual games, but I suspect without Villanova the ratings would be abysmal .... if St Johns could compete for the Championship that would really help ....

The league is about 3 or 4 years into their 12 year contract and I doubt they are considering expansion into smaller markets..

They sold their soul to Fox and the way people are watching sports is changing and..... as CEO pointed out....it might be al la cart in the future...

TexasZagFan
12-09-2017, 08:04 AM
Both Butler and Creighton are national brands but Omaha and Indy are small media markets compared to the other teams in the Big East....the ratings for the Big East on Fox Sports are improving, but are still about half what they were under ESPN and the Old Big East...

I am not going to research the ratings for individual games, but I suspect without Villanova the rating would be abysmal .... if St Johns could compete for the Championship that would really help ....

The league is about 3 or 4 years into their 12 year contract and I doubt they are considering expansion into smaller markets..

They sold their soul to Fox and the way people are watching sports is changing and as CEO pointed out....it might be al la cart in the future...

Thanks for the info on the Fox contract. IMO, that makes any talk about the Big East moot for the next 8-9 years. Each team's getting $4 million a year, I'm sure they don't want a smaller slice to bring in other schools.

bartruff1
12-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Besides, I would have to send WooHoo four wall clocks ...one for each of the time zones so he wouldn't miss the Gonzaga games..:).

mgadfly
12-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the info on the Fox contract. IMO, that makes any talk about the Big East moot for the next 8-9 years. Each team's getting $4 million a year, I'm sure they don't want a smaller slice to bring in other schools.

I’d imagine there is a provision in the contract that allows for the opening of certain terms if the conference expands and increases its inventory of games. Adding more schools may or may not increase the pie enough to make it worth adding them.

TexasZagFan
12-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Besides, I would have to send WooHoo four wall clocks ...one for each of the time zones so he wouldn't miss the Gonzaga games..:).

https://media.makeameme.org/created/damn-thats-cold.jpg

TexasZagFan
12-09-2017, 08:34 AM
I’d imagine there is a provision in the contract that allows for the opening of certain terms if the conference expands and increases its inventory of games. Adding more schools may or may not increase the pie enough to make it worth adding them.

No question that the Zags would increase the pie, but as you said, by how much? Who would be their travel partner?

TravelinZag
12-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Big East is the only logical expansion that fits. Please. Soon!!

GoZags!!

jazzdelmar
12-09-2017, 09:34 AM

GoZags!!

Agree. But it makes way too much sense. Other than Nova and maybe Butler, the Zags would be the BE’s most bankable attraction.

strikenowhere
12-14-2017, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know if this deal:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/21766966/disney-fox-deal-add-22-regional-sports-networks-espn

includes the Big East network? It seems that Fox is retaining some of the sport assets but I'm not sure where the Big East would wind up. I'd be very curious to know if that is the case because it seems that would make it easier for the Zags to jump ship TV contract-wise.

willandi
12-14-2017, 06:40 AM

GoZags!!

What happens to all the other sports?

Just abandon everything but Basketball? I don't think so, and I don't think the WCC would allow them to compete there without the cash cow of Basketball.

hooter73
12-14-2017, 07:11 AM

Just abandon everything but Basketball? I don't think so, and I don't think the WCC would allow them to compete there without the cash cow of Basketball.

We've propped them all up for so long now they had better just show some gratitude and say yes. Like that would happen...

SteelCityZag
12-14-2017, 07:15 AM
Does anyone know if this deal:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/21766966/disney-fox-deal-add-22-regional-sports-networks-espn

includes the Big East network? It seems that Fox is retaining some of the sport assets but I'm not sure where the Big East would wind up. I'd be very curious to know if that is the case because it seems that would make it easier for the Zags to jump ship TV contract-wise.

A new company will be formed to oversee Fox News and all the sports networks, it appears. (Not part of the Disney sale). If this is the case, nothing must change wrt sports contracts.

Birddog
12-14-2017, 07:18 AM

The WCC said as much a few years ago. Paraphrasing, they said if you take your basketball and go home, you should take your baseball, volleyball, golf ball, tennis ball and skimpy shorts too. because you won't be welcome here.
Title 9 rules make it imperative that GU find a home for the Olympic Sports too.

TexasZagFan
12-14-2017, 07:26 AM
We've propped them all up for so long now they had better just show some gratitude and say yes. Like that would happen...

Zags IMHO are positioning themselves for the next round of realignment in college hoops. The Volkar Center is the last piece, combined with The Kennel.

IIRC the Big East deal is with FS1, which remains with 20th Century Fox.

With Wichita State moving to the AAC, Zags could go there too.

Zags are like the Bachelor, will have multiple options when the time is right.

willandi
12-14-2017, 07:30 AM
The WCC said as much a few years ago. Paraphrasing, they said if you take your basketball and go home, you should take your baseball, volleyball, golf ball, tennis ball and skimpy shorts too. because you won't be welcome here.
Title 9 rules make it imperative that GU find a home for the Olympic Sports too.

I thought that it required equal funding. If women's Bball had the same funding as men's, would that not do it?

I don't see Gonzaga eliminating all the other sports though, they add too much to the student life.

MileHigh
12-14-2017, 07:55 AM
West divisioin with Wich St, Gonzaga, Creighton, Depaul, Butler. Marquette. Travel partners Gonzaga/ WichSt, Creighton/Butler, Depaul/Marquette

play round robin in division and every team once in eastern division.

Flying to Milwaukee, Omaha, chicago not that much longer than flying to san diego and socal

Other gonzaga sports play in big sky or Mountain west

Gonzaga might have to give up a share of their TV money initially as incentive for east coast teams to buy into more travel, but getting West Coast exposure for some of those Universities may be worth it.

TexasZagFan
12-14-2017, 08:24 AM
West divisioin with Wich St, Gonzaga, Creighton, Depaul, Butler. Marquette. Travel partners Gonzaga/ WichSt, Creighton/Butler, Depaul/Marquette

Flying to Milwaukee, Omaha, chicago not that much longer than flying to san diego and socal

Gonzaga might have to give up a share of their TV money initially as incentive for east coast teams to buy into more travel, but getting West Coast exposure for some of those Universities may be worth it.

Zags would make up money left behind with WCC in a year or two. Affiliation in a "super conference" would garner 4+ tickets to the Dance, instead of the one or two from the WCC. Instead of a guaranteed $1.6 million from one team, you're looking at an additional $5 million on just the first round games. Those four additional wins last year equal over $6.5 million to the WCC (spread over 6 years), on top of the wins the previous two years.

No wonder Few (and Roth) are not saying no to everyone outside of the WCC. Excuse my bias, but if I was WCC Commish Holtzman, I'd be doing everything I could to keep the Zags happy, and exert what pressure possible for member schools to upgrade their programs. Put another way, without the Zags, WCC is a 9 team conference with little hope, and little future.

cbbfanatic
12-14-2017, 08:40 AM
i dont think the big east would want wichita state... bad institutional fit (and hopefully the remaining schools learned a lesson on that front). feel like gonzaga's biggest problem, aside from travel, is there there just arent other good fits out there to bring on. SMC would also never get any interest. it's really gonzaga and nobody else, it seems, and i dont know if the BE wants to just add one team that presents such logistical challenges

if the right invite came, also pretty sure GU could find a way to leave its other sports in the WCC. what leverage would the WCC really have here? im sure there would be at least temporary financial considerations to make that happen, but would likely be worth it for GU

on the bankability front, i'd rank a gonzaga-inclusive BE as follows:
villanova/georgetown
gonzaga/xavier/marquette
seton hall/st johns
butler/providence/creighton
depaul (could improve dramatically w/new arena and some success due to being in a key market)

TexasZagFan
12-14-2017, 09:15 AM
i dont think the big east would want wichita state... bad institutional fit (and hopefully the remaining schools learned a lesson on that front). feel like gonzaga's biggest problem, aside from travel, is there there just arent other good fits out there to bring on. SMC would also never get any interest. it's really gonzaga and nobody else, it seems, and i dont know if the BE wants to just add one team that presents such logistical challenges

if the right invite came, also pretty sure GU could find a way to leave its other sports in the WCC. what leverage would the WCC really have here? im sure there would be at least temporary financial considerations to make that happen, but would likely be worth it for GU

on the bankability front, i'd rank a gonzaga-inclusive BE as follows:
villanova/georgetown
gonzaga/xavier/marquette
seton hall/st johns
butler/providence/creighton
depaul (could improve dramatically w/new arena and some success due to being in a key market)

In looking at the schools in the American Athletic Conference, I see an opportunity:

They currently have 12 schools, getting a 14th might be a problem...just don't see SMC as a fit, not with McKeon.

Wichita State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Memphis

With the addition of Wichita State, the AAC should get 3 bids in March.

cbbfanatic
12-14-2017, 09:34 AM
In looking at the schools in the American Athletic Conference, I see an opportunity:

They currently have 12 schools, getting a 14th might be a problem...just don't see SMC as a fit, not with McKeon.

Wichita State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Memphis

With the addition of Wichita State, the AAC should get 3 bids in March.

those are all poor institutional fits for GU, and its also a conference where all the tentpoles (if you can call them that) want out. the whole thing started as an island of misfit toys that nobody else wanted... it's not a sustainable situation, and i would think a move to the AAC would be a bad long term move for GU basketball, the school, the brand, all of it

big east schools, on the other hand, represent the perfect institutional and athletic fit. small, private, focused on basketball, invested in basketball.

a hybrid FB/BB conference just has too many conflicts of interest

TexasZagFan
12-14-2017, 10:04 AM
those are all poor institutional fits for GU, and its also a conference where all the tentpoles (if you can call them that) want out. the whole thing started as an island of misfit toys that nobody else wanted... it's not a sustainable situation, and i would think a move to the AAC would be a bad long term move for GU basketball, the school, the brand, all of it

big east schools, on the other hand, represent the perfect institutional and athletic fit. small, private, focused on basketball, invested in basketball.

a hybrid FB/BB conference just has too many conflicts of interest

Can't disagree with you, which means no further talk is necessary until the Big East's TV contract runs out in 6-7 years. Why would those schools want to put at risk the $4 million they're each getting every year?

Zagdawg
12-14-2017, 10:25 AM
If Big East expands to 12 members from 10 -- the contract increases $100 million (from $500 to $600 million).

"The new Big East yesterday formally inked a 12-year, $500M contract with Fox Sports, a “sum that will rise" to $600M if, "as expected, the league expands to 12 members,” according to Richard Sandomir of the N.Y. TIMES."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/03/21/Media/Big-East-MWC.aspx

cbbfanatic
12-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Can't disagree with you, which means no further talk is necessary until the Big East's TV contract runs out in 6-7 years. Why would those schools want to put at risk the $4 million they're each getting every year?

well, like zagdawg said, if the BE could find another worthy addition, the window can come sooner. problem is there doesnt seem to be another gonzaga out there (THE perfect institutional fit)... a school that would make sense AND be accretive to the league draw

for GU, i think waiting to find the right long term play is key (cpt obvious over here). learn from some of the mistakes that led to the demise of the old BE (which, from a bb only standpoint, was incredibly awesome... and still fell apart)

509er
12-14-2017, 12:23 PM

Why would the Big Sky or Mtn West want their other sports?

ZagsObserver
12-14-2017, 12:27 PM
I would argue BYU is a good fit. Great facilities. National draw. Some court success, though not super recent.

TexasZagFan
12-14-2017, 01:05 PM
well, like zagdawg said, if the BE could find another worthy addition, the window can come sooner. problem is there doesnt seem to be another gonzaga out there (THE perfect institutional fit)... a school that would make sense AND be accretive to the league draw

for GU, i think waiting to find the right long term play is key (cpt obvious over here). learn from some of the mistakes that led to the demise of the old BE (which, from a bb only standpoint, was incredibly awesome... and still fell apart)

I think I'll go back and look at the ESPN 30 for 30 on the Big East.

cbbfanatic
12-14-2017, 01:48 PM
I would argue BYU is a good fit. Great facilities. National draw. Some court success, though not super recent.

BYU would be a good fit alongside Gonzaga, but their football-driving-the-bus leaning doesnt help (on their end or that of the BE). currently being independent in FCS is good for the case, but also makes them an eventual flight risk. either way, good institutional fit that could actually make sense, though i am unsure that the mutual benefit is there to the level where they'd make a change

LouisianaZag
12-14-2017, 01:53 PM
I cant see it working without a strong western division that might include Marquette, DePaul, St Louis, Creighton, BYU. Denver. and Gonzaga. That would be 12 games and add 7 or 8 more Eastern games where you would swap games each year. I cant see the Big
East ever agreeing to split the television money that many ways and some of the other schools might not be interested. Also,you always have to keep in mind that without the present coaching staff the WCC might look pretty good.

thespywhozaggedme
12-14-2017, 03:09 PM
BYU would be a good fit alongside Gonzaga, but their football-driving-the-bus leaning doesnt help (on their end or that of the BE). currently being independent in FCS is good for the case, but also makes them an eventual flight risk. either way, good institutional fit that could actually make sense, though i am unsure that the mutual benefit is there to the level where they'd make a change

Huh? Their football team is an independent. It is a non-issue

seacatfan
12-14-2017, 03:20 PM

They've been flirting w/ the Big 12 off and on ever since they joined the WCC. If the Big 12 ever quit dilly dallying and invited 2 more schools to join in all sports, and BYU was one of those, the Cougars would do it in a heartbeat. So say they join an expanded, geography be damned Big East, there would be nothing stopping them from leaving a year or two later if they got an invite to join a P5 conference that placed an emphasis on football.

bartruff1
12-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Now I understand the Bitcoin phenomenon .....

cbbfanatic
12-15-2017, 11:52 AM

i'd type up my own response, but it would essentially be verbatim of what seacatfan said... independent now, but probably not forever, and football will always drive the bus. that's a problem at some point probably in the next 10 years.

and again, think the BE learned their lesson. which is why gonzaga needs another gonzaga to bring with them, but there just isnt another that isnt already in that league

near nature, but really far away from anything else --- that should be the new slogan

thespywhozaggedme
12-15-2017, 12:41 PM
They've been flirting w/ the Big 12 off and on ever since they joined the WCC. If the Big 12 ever quit dilly dallying and invited 2 more schools to join in all sports, and BYU was one of those, the Cougars would do it in a heartbeat. So say they join an expanded, geography be damned Big East, there would be nothing stopping them from leaving a year or two later if they got an invite to join a P5 conference that placed an emphasis on football.

No they weren't, they were never on the big 12 radar despite what BYU fans say. The big 12 wont take their team because they do not play games on Sundays

ZagsObserver
12-15-2017, 12:49 PM
i'd type up my own response, but it would essentially be verbatim of what seacatfan said... independent now, but probably not forever, and football will always drive the bus. that's a problem at some point probably in the next 10 years.

and again, think the BE learned their lesson. which is why gonzaga needs another gonzaga to bring with them, but there just isnt another that isnt already in that league

near nature, but really far away from anything else --- that should be the new slogan

I considered that angle. However, the last proposal I saw (back when the big 12 looked like it was going to expand) was that they were just going to take the BYU football team and not all sports. That’s what the thinking on the cougar board was, anyhow.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Big East - West:
Gonzaga
SMC
BYU
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton
??

I cringe whenever someone suggests SMC come with us when we leave. They've done nothing to deserve it.

BYU I can understand, they haven't been good but at least they have the arena/fanbase and travel in their OOC schedule.

SMC might not win a game in the BE if they were in it. I'm serious.

ZagsObserver
12-15-2017, 03:16 PM
I cringe whenever someone suggests SMC come with us when we leave. They've done nothing to deserve it.

BYU I can understand, they haven't been good but at least they have the arena/fanbase and travel in their OOC schedule.

Agreed. Little chance of SMC. Facilities are poor. Resources not there. Doesn’t draw particularly well. Team is good but not great, and there is no way you overcome the shortfallings.

willandi
12-15-2017, 03:29 PM
Agreed. Little chance of SMC. Facilities are poor. Resources not there. Doesn’t draw particularly well. Team is good but not great, and there is no way you overcome the shortfallings.

But if the Zags and BYU left...they would finally be the big fish in a small pond, the one they have believed they were for some time now.

Of course, San Diego might have something to say about that, and several other of the one bid WCC.

GoZags
12-16-2017, 02:25 PM

That's something we will never, ever find out.

Bogozags
12-16-2017, 02:36 PM

Big East - West:
Gonzaga
SMC
BYU
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton
??

I think this is a good possibility...

GU
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton
Butler
Wichita State (I think they would jump but it would be in a couple of years)

Don't think SMC would ever be considered and BYU is a football school and don't think they would look at them...if so, then they would look at UNI first...imo

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 03:03 PM
I think this is a good possibility...

GU
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton
Butler
Wichita State (I think they would jump but it would be in a couple of years)

Don't think SMC would ever be considered and BYU is a football school and don't think they would look at them...if so, then they would look at UNI first...imo

You're onto something Bogo.

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 03:08 PM
That's something we will never, ever find out.

SMC made its bed with the extension given to Bennett. Randy is undoubtedly a good coach, but even diehard Gaels fans are questioning his OOC scheduling. They see their season slipping away, and GIAG traffic, or lack there of, reflects that.