PDA

View Full Version : It's been awhile

sittingon50
12-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Going back on KenPom it looks like that's the 1st butt-kicking GU has absorbed since the Zag's lost to Arizona 84-61 on 3-29-14 in the NCAA's. Lost to Duke by 14 in the NCAA's on 3-29-15, but IIRC, Zags were in that game.

So since that game Zag's have lost by 3 (OT),3,14,1,5,5,1,3,9,5,3,8,6,6 (OT).

Their record since the Arizona beatdown was 107-14.

I'll have to admit that I've gotten kind of spoiled.

BEAT THE HUSKIES (BADLY).

bartruff1
12-05-2017, 06:37 PM
That won't be easy....and the game is on the PAC Network...

TexasZagFan
12-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Going back on KenPom it looks like that's the 1st butt-kicking GU has absorbed since the Zag's lost to Arizona 84-61 on 3-29-14 in the NCAA's. Lost to Duke by 14 in the NCAA's on 3-29-15, but IIRC, Zags were in that game.

So since that game Zag's have lost by 3 (OT),3,14,1,5,5,1,3,9,5,3,8,6,6 (OT).

Their record since the Arizona beatdown was 107-14.

I'll have to admit that I've gotten kind of spoiled.

BEAT THE HUSKIES (BADLY).

50, you were right about Duke. We were in it until a couple minutes to go, Wiltjer missed a point blank shot that I think would have tied it. Balloon deflated after that, Duke took over. We were there, one of the best games I ever saw.

JPtheBeasta
12-05-2017, 08:09 PM
50, you were right about Duke. We were in it until a couple minutes to go, Wiltjer missed a point blank shot that I think would have tied it. Balloon deflated after that, Duke took over. We were there, one of the best games I ever saw.

Coach K bit his tongue during the interview at the half when he started to say, "Who knew they could play d--" I think he was surprised to see Karnowski shut down Jabari Parker, and to see the Zags play so well. That would have been a nice one to win. Their small forward hit a couple big-time shots when both sides were shooting poorly to kind of ice the game, if I remember...

seacatfan
12-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Coach K bit his tongue during the interview at the half when he started to say, "Who knew they could play d--" I think he was surprised to see Karnowski shut down Jabari Parker, and to see the Zags play so well. That would have been a nice one to win. Their small forward hit a couple big-time shots when both sides were shooting poorly to kind of ice the game, if I remember...

Okafor, not Parker.

Zags11
12-05-2017, 10:39 PM
Got our ... Kicked. Outclassed from top to bottom.

gueastcoast
12-06-2017, 03:33 AM
Was at the Garden, difficult game to watch. Reminds me why I prefer to watch on TV -- the semi-obligation to socialize and be socially appropriate while dying inside. That said, by the second half I had an epiphany similar to the original post -- it occurred to me that it has been two seasons (going back to the Syracuse Sweet 16 year) since I've watched a game that I felt we really didn't deserve to win (not that we "couldn't win", those are two different things). It was actually calming to think (unlike with BYU and UNC last year) that we were simply outclassed and outplayed, and that was that. Doesn't mean we can't/won't learn from it and get better, but that's who we were last night.

jazzdelmar
12-06-2017, 04:36 AM
Was at the Garden, difficult game to watch. Reminds me why I prefer to watch on TV -- the semi-obligation to socialize and be socially appropriate while dying inside. That said, by the second half I had an epiphany similar to the original post -- it occurred to me that it has been two seasons (going back to the Syracuse Sweet 16 year) since I've watched a game that I felt we really didn't deserve to win (not that we "couldn't win", those are two different things). It was actually calming to think (unlike with BYU and UNC last year) that we were simply outclassed and outplayed, and that was that. Doesn't mean we can't/won't learn from it and get better, but that's who we were last night.

Wonderful point, Gueast. If u stayed for the feature game, you experienced a taste of what the Big East was like most nights back in the eighties, spectacular.....Mullin, Pearl, Patrick......

zagamatic
12-06-2017, 04:59 AM
We really have been pretty spoiled as a fan base in that I can't remember the last 20+ point loss or even losing as a 2 or 3 seed in the first round of the tournament like Duke and some other teams.
The thing that strikes me about when this team seems like they are sputtering is that it seems like it stems from the defensive end and carries over to the offensive end. I'm not sure why we are running so much zone as it seems like this team is struggling with man to man. And as I've heard from many sources, you have to be good at man to man before you can play zone effectively. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see how the team reacts to this. Either way, let's enjoy the ride.

gozagswoohoo
12-06-2017, 06:03 AM
The feeling I had during the game last night was not a good one. After roughly 5 minutes, the game seemed to get worse and worse, and felt virtually unwinnable. We were just outmatched/outplayed/out-coached in nearly every facet of this particular game. It was a very frustrating game to watch.

But I feel pretty lucky, because I bet we've had less than 5 games of this nature in the last......?? I don't know?? 6-8 years? Even in most all of the games we've lost, we're generally 'in' all of them.

And that's why I personally feel very lucky. We do not have to experience this feeling often at all. But look around at the other 300+ D1 schools around the country. This happens to them MULTIPLE times per season, yet we can count on one hand how many times we've been 'handled' like that over the last 'x' number of seasons.

Does that make sense? Anyone share these sentiments?

bartruff1
12-06-2017, 06:10 AM
Their record against top ten teams is not good for a program that is considered elite by many on the board...

gozagswoohoo
12-06-2017, 06:10 AM
The feeling I had during the game last night was not a good one. After roughly 5 minutes, the game seemed to get worse and worse, and felt virtually unwinnable. We were just outmatched/outplayed/out-coached in nearly every facet of this particular game. It was a very frustrating game to watch.

But I feel pretty lucky, because I bet we've had less than 5 games of this nature in the last......?? I don't know?? 6-8 years? Even in most all of the games we've lost, we're generally 'in' all of them.

And that's why I personally feel very lucky. We do not have to experience this feeling often at all. But look around at the other 300+ D1 schools around the country. This happens to them MULTIPLE times per season, yet we can count on one hand how many times we've been 'handled' like that over the last 'x' number of seasons.

Does that make sense? Anyone share these sentiments?

I had initially made this post as a brand new thread, but after reading this 'its been a while' thread, I see that someone has already pointed this out!

TexasZagFan
12-06-2017, 07:54 AM
Their record against top ten teams is not good for a program that is considered elite by many on the board...

Also says that top 10 teams rarely venture into the Kennel. When we play top 10 teams, it's usually on a neutral court, or at their house.

bballbeachbum
12-06-2017, 08:21 AM

great post, thanks, agree with all points.

Zags need games like that. Zach adjusted. I wonder if he's ever played in a game of that tempo in his life. Also thought Zags controlled tempo better in 2nd half with paint production, a great way to slow other teams down, and the game did slow down for a spell imo. and then down the stretch the Zags looked like they'd already spent what they had, with limited bench minutes and under that pressure trying to overcome 1st half rattles. I credit Nova for that tho, not discredit the Zags, and see it as a necessary for this team to endure, address and overcome. we'll see

SwainZag
12-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Also says that top 10 teams rarely venture into the Kennel. When we play top 10 teams, it's usually on a neutral court, or at their house.

This exactly. Almost every major conference team gets a shot or multiple shots at Top 10 teams at home every season.