PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down Defense

Markburn1
12-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Gonzaga basketball has always been a work in progress. They have seemingly always had success on the offensive side of the ball. In the last three years they have made significant strides on the defensive end. Part of that is due to the quality and length of the athletes and part of it is due to the coaching staff placing a greater emphasis on technique. However you slice it, it has resulted in another step forward for the program. The results are obvious.

I thought I would do my own film session and break down the Zags first half against Creighton. Creighton is very good offensively, but the Zags defensive performance more than likely caused the coaching staff to force themselves to keep their pregame meal down.

I awarded good defense and bad defense to individual players and also broke it down between zone and man possessions. Keep in mind, this is all subjective on my part and the coaches may have seen things that I missed or had a different interpretation of the action.

Not surprisingly, Melson graded out almost perfectly. I credited him with 7 good defensive plays and only one missed play. The play he missed was an inbounds play when he and Tillie miscommunicated on their assignments and Melson's man was left alone for an uncontested three.

Norvell had a couple of sequences while in the zone that caused wide open threes with half hearted contests. Both times he was too high and allowed the wing on his side to find an open spot that was too far away for the baseline wing to close for a contest.

Jonathon Williams had the worst half from a defensive perspective. I gave him five bad defenses. Three of those were in zone defense when Creighton entered the ball to their big in the center of the zone. Williams hung back several feet away and allowed the guy to basically do whatever he wanted. A couple times he shot uncontested and a couple times he passed to an open wing with absolutely no resistance. Again, the coaches may have a different take. When Larsen was in, he stayed low on the entry pass as well. Maybe the game plan was to let that guy operate freely and hang back to protect the rim. Didn't work. Williams worst defensive play came on a pick and roll in man defense. Tillie's man set a pick for a guard and Tillie played the driver perfectly. Williams man was on the perimeter in the corner and he was playing off of him. As the guard penetrated Williams completely forgot about his man and hung behind Tillie getting ready to block a shot. Tillie had it covered completely and the guard kicked it out to the corner resulting in an uncontested three.

Hachimura got caught in zone following a man too far across the bottom of the lane leaving a wide open shooter on the wing. He was playing a baseline wing and an entry pass was made to the big at the free throw line. A Creighton player in the short corner cut across the key on the baseline bringing Rui with him. Williams covered the big and Tillie on the opposite baseline wing position slid into the key to cover Rui's cutter. Rui didn't recognize Tillies cover and that left a wing shooter and a top of the key shooter for the big to choose. Poor Perkins was caught trying to guess which one he would have no shot to cover. Uncontested three from the wing.

Tillie had three very good defensive plays and so did Jeremy Jones. Jones on the baseline wing on the same side Hachimura and Norvell were having problems actually covered it very well causing a couple of traps and created a couple turnovers.

From a team perspective, I gave the Zags a little edge on good plays while in man. 11-9 In zone, more bad than good. 6-5

Overall, the coaches were probably not pleased.

What changed in the second half? First and foremost, the Zags picked up their intensity on the defensive side. It was immediately noticeable. Secondly, they abandoned the zone and played much better on the ball defense along with being more aware on the help side.

Against Villanova they cannot afford a half like this. They can't even afford a few minutes. Look for the initial intensity from the Zags and their commitment to defense. If they come out in the first few minutes with the same intensity they did against Creighton in the second half, they will be in the game. If not.....

bballbeachbum
12-04-2017, 02:53 PM
that was cool, thanks

would add that the reason the Zags got out of M2M appeared to be from 3rd degree burns, including Zach early both on the perimeter and underneath in that switching perimeter M2M d Zags have been trying. Zags have also pressured the perimeter well out of the zone although not so well vs. Creighton 1st half, their guards just too good forcing pressure instead of Zags forcing it

also another key difference appeared that 2nd half the Zags scrapped the heavy switching M2M on the screens coming out like they used 1st half and instead fought over the screens, appeared to be a tactical switch, caused problems right out of the gate

curious, did you count how many 3s Creighton made without having to dribble in the 1st half?

Markburn1
12-04-2017, 03:11 PM
that was cool, thanks

would add that the reason the Zags got out of M2M appeared to be from 3rd degree burns, including Zach early both on the perimeter and underneath in that switching perimeter M2M d Zags have been trying. Zags have also pressured the perimeter well out of the zone although not so well vs. Creighton 1st half, their guards just too good forcing pressure instead of Zags forcing it

also another key difference appeared that 2nd half the Zags scrapped the heavy switching M2M on the screens coming out like they used 1st half and instead fought over the screens, appeared to be a tactical switch, caused problems right out of the gate

curious, did you count how many 3s Creighton made without having to dribble in the 1st half?

Good observations.

I did not count the no dribble threes, but I don't remember a three that was created off the dribble. Maybe one by Foster.