PDA

View Full Version : Great Zag opponent games

LTownZag
12-04-2017, 02:17 PM
I have a ton of love for great performances and players rising to the occasion, even if those players aren't playing for Gonzaga.

So far this season we've seen some amazing skill and performance from Chiozza and Hudson w/Florida, and Thomas and Foster w/Creighton. Over the past few years it has been fun to see Brownridge with Santa Clara bring his A-game amid generally bleak WCC games.

What do you remember about great performances against the zags that earned your respect for a player or team that you didn't know about? Here are 3 for me, and I'm now a fan of all 3 guys:

Jevon Carter '16-'17 - WVU --- This guy nearly single handedly continued the GU streak of seeing their playoff hopes end in the round of 16 or 8. Lots of hustle and fight on that WV team

Deonte Burton - ISU 16'-17 --- The amazing play of a (6'6"?) throwback forward against our trip of 7' players last year nearly won the game following an amazing comeback for Iowa State. I was rooting for them the whole rest of the year.

Steph Curry - Davidson '07-'08 ---- We got an unfortunate taste of his skills before most of the country knew who he was. It's a lot easier to cheer for a great opponent when their performance doesn't end the zags' year.

GonzaGAW
12-04-2017, 06:41 PM
- few years ago as a senior, draymond green on Michigan state came into the kennel and torched the zags for 30 something points, which was his career high game.

Gonzdb8
12-04-2017, 06:54 PM
brandon paul put the boots to us about 5 years ago in the kennel. i think he dropped something like 38 on us and there wasn't a zag out there who could slow him down one on one.

gonzagafan62
12-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Dior Lowhorn (USF) John Bryant (Santa Clara) Johnny Dee (San Diego) Bobby Sharpe (Portland) Brandon Paul (Illinois) Matthew Dellavadova (Saint Marys) Diamon Simpson (Saint Marys) Patty Mills (Saint Marys) Mickey McConnell (Saint Mary's) Brandon Johnson (SAN Diego) Orlando Mendez-Valdez (Western Kentucky) Deividas Dulkys (Florida State) Andy Rautins (Syracuse) Jimmer Fredette (BYU) Ron Baker (Wichita State) Josh Johnson (Memphis)

That's about the extent of it ... that I remember off the top of my head anyway

gonzagafan62
12-04-2017, 07:02 PM
brandon paul put the boots to us about 5 years ago in the kennel. i think he dropped something like 38 on us and there wasn't a zag out there who could slow him down one on one.

Yup. One of our three losses. That one sucked big time

seacatfan
12-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Nevada beat the Zags handily in the Tourney and then a year or two later in the Battle in Seattle. IIRC they had some big individual performances in those games. Memory is a bit fuzzy. I wanna say Nick Fazekas and Kirk Snyder maybe?

northsidezagfan
12-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Sean Singletary from UVA

seacatfan
12-04-2017, 07:24 PM
I don't remember the specifics but the Zags got steamrolled by the Illinois team that was national runner up w/ Deron Williams, Dee Brown, Luther Head. One or more of those guys probably went off that game.

seacatfan
12-04-2017, 07:26 PM
How about the short fat post player that had a career game for the Bizon (I know it's spelled wrong but it's phonetic) in a 1st round Tourney game. Don't even want to remember his name, he was a nobody. Thankfully Zags won that game.

sittingon50
12-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Orlando Lightfoot of Idaho fame went off for 50 in K1 ('93?). His mates only chipped in another 15 as the Zags prevailed.

Steve Nash came in to K1 one time & only had 5 at half. He had 35 more in the 2nd & OT however as the Broncos prevailed.

Markburn1
12-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Meyers Leonard had a near perfect game in 2011. 9-11 FG. 21 points in 24 minutes. Pissed me off. Illinois won 82-75.

Akzag
12-05-2017, 12:24 AM
Jameer Nelson

ZagsGoZags
12-05-2017, 12:34 AM
These are three defeats from great shooters that I remember,
some mentioned above
Clay from WSU
Curry from Davidson
Jimmy F from BYU

very frustrating to watch them explode on us
these days we have better defense, although I don't see us double team greater shooters very often,
for last few years we have been able to bottle up best shooter on opponents team pretty well,
Hudson from Florida ate us alive, however, and we looked helpless

WallaWallaZag
12-05-2017, 12:42 AM
These are three defeats from great shooters that I remember,
some mentioned above
Clay from WSU
Curry from Davidson
Jimmy F from BYU

very frustrating to watch them explode on us
these days we have better defense, although I don't see us double team greater shooters very often,
for last few years we have been able to bottle up best shooter on opponents team pretty well,
Hudson from Florida ate us alive, however, and we looked helpless

i know what kenpom says about three point defense, but to me it seems fairly obvious that so far this year our three point defense isn't nearly as good as it was last year. i think the gap from nwg/mathews to the two freshmen norvell/kispert plays a role, but i also think the comparative lack of rim protection has not allowed the zags to play as tight on the shooters.

fsu just completely shut down the gators shooters today...and it was at florida too.

raise the zag
12-05-2017, 01:09 AM
A few I didn't see mentioned above which come mind:

While I was a GU student from (2001-2005), I recall these players having amazing performances, sometimes several times over...

Paul Marigney (St Mary's)

Nate Robinson (Washington)

Pooh Jeter (Portland) *personal favorite, played to the crowd*

Yakhouba Diawara (Pepperdine)

Glen McGowan (Pepperdine)

Kevinn Pinkney (Nevada)

After my time, I recall...

Kevin Foster (Santa Clara)

Brandon Davies (BYU)

John Bryant (Santa Clara)

Jared Brownridge (Santa Clara)

Homer FatHamSamwich (St Marys)

Wesley Johnson (Syracuse)

WallaWallaZag
12-05-2017, 01:17 AM
i noticed tyler haws...actually thought collinsworth gave us more trouble than haws...gb2 usually handled haws pretty decently

raise the zag
12-05-2017, 01:27 AM
i noticed tyler haws...actually thought collinsworth gave us more trouble than haws...gb2 usually handled haws pretty decently

Good point. GBJ was the man, no one fought thru screens like he did. It was Davies who did most of the damage. Pretty sure he had 25+ pts everytime we played them, at least it felt like it...

I replaced him with Wes Johnson from Cuse who went off on us in 2010

Ekrub
12-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Dominguez from Portland state?

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Villanova’s Bridges just made the list.