PDA

View Full Version : Opponents websites

zag buddy
12-04-2017, 11:34 AM
If there is a kindhearted fan out there who is more computer savey than me, it would really be helpful year to year to have our opponents websites listed along with the schedule so we could get a better grasp and understanding about them. I admire all the players for their achievements- Americas best- and love to interact with their fans. thanks.

RenoZag
12-04-2017, 11:41 AM
If there is a kindhearted fan out there who is more computer savey than me, it would really be helpful year to year to have our opponents websites listed along with the schedule so we could get a better grasp and understanding about them. I admire all the players for their achievements- Americas best- and love to interact with their fans. thanks.

There are links to WCC opponent websites in the WCC sub-board of this forum.

DixieZag
12-04-2017, 11:53 AM
One Nova forum: https://247sports.com/college/villanova/Board/Villanova-Basketball-Other-Sports-Free-106104

thebigsmoove
12-04-2017, 12:23 PM
One Nova forum: https://247sports.com/college/villanova/Board/Villanova-Basketball-Other-Sports-Free-106104

My goodness their opinion of us stinks, hahaha

zag buddy
12-04-2017, 12:25 PM
tx what is a sub-board.

jazzdelmar
12-04-2017, 12:28 PM
From time immemorial, Nova fans and alums had rep as extremely arrogant. Going back to the days of Jack Kraft. Compared to Temple, Penn, Saint Joe and LaSalle, very cool fanbases.....so I am sure nothing is different now with all this success.......they aren't on the Main Line for nothing......Love to beat their arses just because.

thebigsmoove
12-04-2017, 01:20 PM
From time immemorial, Nova fans and alums had rep as extremely arrogant. Going back to the days of Jack Kraft. Compared to Temple, Penn, Saint Joe and LaSalle, very cool fanbases.....so I am sure nothing is different now with all this success.......they aren't on the Main Line for nothing......Love to beat their arses just because.

I second that motion. Really salivating at the opportunity to prove our mettle tomorrow night.

gonzagafan62
12-04-2017, 02:09 PM

GlenDog is the one that doesn't know two sh1t$ of what he's talking about. This isn't even close to the worst mark few led team lmao. Such a dummy and needs a better eye on basketball for sure. Bet he's never watched a full zag game till tomorrow. What's funny is we have 4 guys getting looked at by scouts. He said there's not a lot to work with.... REALLY??? Lmao. Wow. Pass some to me

DixieZag
12-04-2017, 02:58 PM
GlenDog is the one that doesn't know two sh1t$ of what he's talking about. This isn't even close to the worst mark few led team lmao. Such a dummy and needs a better eye on basketball for sure. Bet he's never watched a full zag game till tomorrow. What's funny is we have 4 guys getting looked at by scouts. He said there's not a lot to work with.... REALLY??? Lmao. Wow. Pass some to me

The guy then said he still doesn't believe last year's team was "that great" - given we finished 2nd, that sure speaks poorly on all those teams below us.

This site appears to be a little better, though you must be a Rivals subscriber to even see the posts. I've not yet encountered that anywhere else. https://villanova.forums.rivals.com/forums/nova-nation.24/

Great article, with nice extra stuff about Jimmy Valvano himself: https://www.vuhoops.com/2017/12/4/16732478/jimmy-v-classic-preview-villanova-vs-gonzaga

Gonzaga’s mantra on defense is “hard 2’s,” which is reflected in the advanced statistics. Gonzaga’s opponents have posted an effective field goal percentage of 47.0, which ranks the Bulldogs at 68th nationally. However, to unpack that, Gonzaga ranks 6th in two-point defense, holding opponents to just 40.2% of their 2-point attempts. Further reflective of Gonzaga’s emphasis on defending against the 2, they rank 288th in three-point defense. So, what does this mean for Villanova? Likely, an air raid.

As regards preparation for this game, the Wildcats faced a similar duo, in Isaac Haas (7’2) and Caleb Swanigan (6’8), last season against Purdue. As Wildcat fans will recall, Haas and Swanigan combined for 42 points due, in part, to Villanova getting in severe foul trouble early, punctuated by Eric Paschall fouling out in just 9 minutes. While Williams and Tille are different players (and not actually Isaac Haas), the challenge will be for Villanova to play strong help defense down low without fouling and limit the entry passes down low. The game will be a baptism by fire for Omari Spellman who will be facing arguably the two most talented big men he has faced this season…at the exact same time.

DixieZag
12-04-2017, 03:23 PM
If one watches the highlights of the last second win by Valvano's '83 N.C. State's national championship team, don't forget to notice Dave Rose's despair as a member of that Houston Phi Slamma Jamma team.

Kong-Kool-Aid
12-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Their board looks dead.

thebigsmoove
12-04-2017, 04:39 PM
The guy then said he still doesn't believe last year's team was "that great" - given we finished 2nd, that sure speaks poorly on all those teams below us.

This site appears to be a little better, though you must be a Rivals subscriber to even see the posts. I've not yet encountered that anywhere else. https://villanova.forums.rivals.com/forums/nova-nation.24/

Great article, with nice extra stuff about Jimmy Valvano himself: https://www.vuhoops.com/2017/12/4/16732478/jimmy-v-classic-preview-villanova-vs-gonzaga

Yeah hes obviously a tool. I really enjoyed that VUHoops article too. Well written with thoughtful analysis rooted in quality statistical metrics. I agree with their analysis that the results of the game depend on Nova's ability to stay out of foul trouble down low and to make bunches of threes. I also agree that we do not have any depth at PG. Worst point depth we have had in the Mark Few era, IMO, JP cannot get into foul trouble in this game. We have to find a way to keep him in the game.

RenoZag
12-04-2017, 05:08 PM
tx what is a sub-board.

Go to the GUB Home Page: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/index.php to see the index of forums ( or sub-boards )

Kong-Kool-Aid
12-04-2017, 06:52 PM
It blows my mind that Villanova doesnt have one good message board.

DixieZag
12-04-2017, 07:29 PM
It blows my mind that Villanova doesnt have one good message board.

Me, too.

For a bit, I thought their football team must still be playing in the FCS championship and thus they're not talking basketball yet. But, nope, they're evidently a rather indifferent fanbase.

willandi
12-04-2017, 08:42 PM

If they don't like the Zags now, how much more when they have lost? It will have to be the fault of the refs.

GrizZAG
12-04-2017, 09:43 PM
"GlenDog" is a typical dipstick bonehead that has no clue about CBB. Sports fans can be awfully obnoxious can't they? Insufferable idiot land.

MDABE80
12-04-2017, 09:51 PM
We have a very good one thanks to the founding fathers. The tradition continues. Other, not so much. Thank the mods for keeping this one insightful and instuctive

bartruff1
12-05-2017, 12:08 AM

Gonzaga is there with 3 Big East Teams....will Ucon and Cuse fans root for or against Villanova ?

Zagceo
12-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Gonzaga is there with 3 Big East Teams....will Ucon and Cuse fans root for or against Villanova ?

1 Big East team and 2 former ..Syacuse ACC and UCONN American Athletic Conference

I say good chance both fan basis root against Villanova

kitzbuel
12-05-2017, 01:35 AM

More activity in the comment here than in the forums. Nova fans suspect that both UCONN and Syracuse fans will root against them.

jazzdelmar
12-05-2017, 02:48 AM
Nova in a nutshell. Very preppy, nyc and philly area kids of lawyers, doctors etc with suburban bucks and grades just shy of ivies. Many from higher end catholic high schools or prep schools. They or their parents also drawn by the RC atmosphere and choose Nova over schools like bucknell and Colgate and swarthmore. Maybe a catholic duke. But a bit lower grades and a tad less snootier. The east coast Notre Dame maybe. Not as good a school as Boston college or Georgetown or even holy cross but think they are. Nova is 46,Boston is 32, GT is 20,HC is 33. They are. Obnoxious.

Zaga
12-05-2017, 04:59 AM

Hoping for Tillie and the Zags to have a game like Heyvelt did against North Carolina back a Few years now. Thinking that game was in the Garden was it not?

jazzdelmar
12-05-2017, 05:36 AM
Hoping for Tillie and the Zags to have a game like Heyvelt did against North Carolina back a Few years now. Thinking that game was in the Garden was it not?

Yes.....pre season NIT....lost to Butler days later.......Lawson was UNC pg

TheGonzagaFactor
12-05-2017, 08:17 AM

OP:
"Hands down the worst team of the Mark Few era and in the last 20 years. Just not a lot to work with here. Pretty surprising he didnít have a stronger class coming in knowing so much talent was exiting the program. Nova will put the hammer to these guys at MSG. Ignore the ridiculous # next to their name. This team wouldnít finish in the top 5 of the Big East."

Response:
"Gdog, quick question: Is this like last year when you told us all year that Gonzaga sucked? And then they made it to their first Final Four in school history and advanced to the NCAA Final, ending the season with a 37-2 record, the #1 Kenpom rating and ranked #2 in the final coaches poll?

Or is this different?"

LMAO

gueastcoast
12-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Nova in a nutshell. Very preppy, nyc and philly area kids of lawyers, doctors etc with suburban bucks and grades just shy of ivies. Many from higher end catholic high schools or prep schools. They or their parents also drawn by the RC atmosphere and choose Nova over schools like bucknell and Colgate and swarthmore. Maybe a catholic duke. But a bit lower grades and a tad less snootier. The east coast Notre Dame maybe. Not as good a school as Boston college or Georgetown or even holy cross but think they are. Nova is 46,Boston is 32, GT is 20,HC is 33. They are. Obnoxious.

Well and aptly put.

Zagnificent
12-05-2017, 09:33 AM

Ugh, the "Main Line." I worked as a part-time pharmacist at a place less than a mile from Nova that serviced many of the wealthiest main-liners. Every day was a new adventure in learning how much I disliked the upper-crust of Philadelphia. I hope they lose by 50.

raise the zag
12-05-2017, 11:44 AM

I follow this comparison, save the Notre Dame mention.

I have several friends' kids who attended Boston College BECAUSE they were kindly declined by Notre Dame i.e. couldn't gain admission.

Obviously, both are terrific institutions yet Notre Dame on a different lvl than B.C. apparently. As least from what I've seen, or maybe they seek a different type of student profile.

jazzdelmar
12-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Raise, absolutely right. ND way over Villanova and prob BC too. I was just describing how Nova pple might view their school. ND, like em or hate em, is a big brand that swims w the big boys; BUT they too are deluded. They are NOT top tier either, even w all the TD Jesusís and novenas. And arrogant? Make Nova look like choir boys. ND is #18 in usnews.

QUOTE=raise the zag;1343021]I follow this comparison, save the Notre Dame mention.

I have several friends' kids who attended Boston College BECAUSE they were kindly declined by Notre Dame i.e. couldn't gain admission.

Obviously, both are terrific institutions yet Notre Dame on a different lvl than B.C. apparently. As least from what I've seen, or maybe they seek a different type of student profile.[/QUOTE]