PDA

View Full Version : Gary Parrish Podcast re the Zags

ZagNative
12-02-2017, 12:59 PM
This is a fun podcast from Gary Parrish, with heavy emphasis on the Zags, starting at about 11:52: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/podcast-gonzaga-looks-terrific-again-despite-losing-four-of-its-top-five-scorers/

gu03alum
12-02-2017, 01:28 PM
This is a fun podcast from Gary Parrish, with heavy emphasis on the Zags, starting at about 11:52: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/podcast-gonzaga-looks-terrific-again-despite-losing-four-of-its-top-five-scorers/

I was just going to post about this. I agree, lots of Zags talk on there. They talk about the Zags moving to the Big East and that the Creighton game was setup for that reason. They talked about how there are 4 potential draft picks on the team.

sittingon50
12-02-2017, 01:44 PM
That WAS very good, Native. Thanks.

Zagger
12-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Nice hearing the respect for the Zags program/Few and our guys but .... not much about the game and lots about conjecture that we've all heard before. I'm biased though cuz I like the WCC and getting to play schools out west. It's nice having a dang near certain shot at the NCAAs each year. I'd much rather see the WCC improve over GU leaving the conference (at least for a conference that's mainly E of the Mississippi). All that extra airtime adds up for the various sports/athletes involved. If we're going to talk serious about something along the lines I'd personally be interested in it would be for GU to start up a football program then look to joining some other conference out west. Dreaming on :)

GU32
12-02-2017, 09:26 PM
I'd much rather see the WCC improve over GU leaving the conference (at least for a conference that's mainly E of the Mississippi).

The WCC won’t improve without schools receiving support from the fan base/alumni and administration. Other than BYU, none of the other WCC schools receive much of either type of support. Including Saint Mary’s.

Couple things I found interesting... 1) This Creighton/Villanova turn around being a test run for Big East conference. Parrish made it sound like the Big East requested it? 2) Zags all onboard for making the jump to the big east “just an extra 90 minutes flying” 3) as of right now, they don’t have enough votes from the big east to get in... obviously, this is being seriously considered if the conference is voting on it/setting up test runs.

webspinnre
12-02-2017, 10:06 PM
The real issue is all of the other sports we play. GU basketball might make sense, but the travel for all of the other teams? Not sure it makes sense. We're limited by geography and school type.

ZagsGoZags
12-02-2017, 10:10 PM
can we stay in WCC for everything else,
and go independent for basketball?
basketball Gonzaga U. like Notre Dame in football ?

sittingon50
12-02-2017, 10:17 PM

Without the $ that the Zags MBB bring to the league office, pretty sure the other GU sports would be asked to close the door behind them.

Ezag
12-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Gonzaga has been waiting for the WCC to improve for 20 years. This is as good as it will get

CDC84
12-03-2017, 12:11 AM
It would be impossible for a team to be independent in D-1 basketball due to all of the conference expansion that has happened. There aren't any scheduling gaps during league season anymore.

A lot of the talk regarding this is going to center around the WCC and its lack of improvement, but from GU's perspective, I think they are more concerned about what is happening outside the WCC.

With power-5 conference re-alignment and expansion, and more conference games being played, it's going to be increasingly difficult for GU to schedule homes and homes in the future. Another issue are all these made for TV neutral floor events like the Champions Classic and the CBS Sports Classic that involve teams that Gonzaga wants to play. The heavy hitters. I think GU is fearful that it's going to get to the point where even a really good non-blue blood BCS team will only play in a Turkey Tournament, and then play a BCS heavy hitter on a neutral floor and that's it. The rest of their non-league games will be against the Arkansas Pine-Bluff's of the world. I think they fear not being able to assemble an at large resume like they used to. This will result in crummy seeds and more years where they must win the WCC tournament to get in the dance. I feel this is a legitimate concern. That it could cause the program to regress. Also, add on to this the possibility of BYU leaving and some BCS AD getting smart and offering Randy Bennett a 25 million buck coaching contract. The WCC, in its infinite stupidity, will go add some 225+ RPI team to replace BYU, making the league worse than it was before BYU joined and St. Mary's elevated itself. And also taking away two valuable non-league games from Gonzaga. I mean, at the end of the day, I would rather play a consistent winner like Belmont or VCU than a new WCC team like Denver.

I know one college basketball analyst who still feels it was an awful mistake to bring BYU into the league. Before you had a situation with Gonzaga at the top and St. Mary's chasing their tail. But there was that 3rd spot. This analyst feels that WCC teams more than ever thru in the towel when BYU joined. They felt they had zero ability to compete, and that is why you are not seeing improvement. Remember all that talk about Pepperdine building a small but state of the art gym? Maybe it's still under consideration, but I have heard zilch. The idea might've been tossed into the Pacific Ocean as soon as BYU joined the WCC.

I find it interesting at the end when Norlander says that he wouldn't be surprised to see GU in a new league by 2027 (or whatever year it was), and that the Pac 12 needs Gonzaga more than the Big East does.

Also, it isn't just an extra 1.5 hours to fly from Spokane to New York City as opposed to San Jose. More like 3 hours, plus a pit stop in between to get gasoline. In the end I just don't see it happening because teams like Georgetown and St. John's really have no interest in flying to Spokane to play some 11PM ET league game, even if it's Gonzaga. The Big East can get 4 or 5 teams in the dance regularly. There isn't enough upside.

Murphy outgo lifer
12-03-2017, 12:38 AM
I just read another article talking about how with the ACC and Big 10 moving to 20 games in conference that it will most likely lead to removing some tougher games from their non-conference schedules. The article was from a website similar to the Slipper Still Fits but for Marquette and the concern from the writer was in the reduction of available tough non-conference match-ups and the importance of moving to a 20 game conference schedule themselves. However, they only have 10 teams so they would need to add 11 to accomplish that and they would obviously want it to be a school that was a high-level performer. The two schools mentioned were UConn and Gonzaga and the drawbacks for each are that UConn is heavily focused on its football team and Gonzaga's distance.

In terms of basketball it is almost laughable that some of these other BE schools think that it would be too far to travel. If they adopted the 20 game schedule with home and away, that means that each school would have to travel ONCE to Spokane each season. Gonzaga in contrast would have to travel further distances 10 times and they have the mentality that hey 2 or 3 extra hours on a plane is not that big of a deal. The BE is seeking legitimacy after losing Syracuse, UConn, Louisville and they have done a great job so far but adding GU would make them that much more credible.

The biggest issue is, as others have stated, is the other sports and who knows maybe no one is worried about traveling for basketball at all; maybe just all of the other sports.

I think we have really figured out how to be successful in utilizing the WCC to bring along talented freshman and allow the transfers and new players to completely gel before the tournament. So we will continue to be successful in the WCC, however, the teams are just atrociously bad (save St. Mary's) and it is not exciting basketball. If I was a recruit I would not want to play against those teams, I just wouldn't. As a fan I would love to see us battling with multiple top 25 teams every year in conference.

The BE is all about putting basketball first, just like we are. It would be the first national conference and I think that both the conference and GU would benefit from this. More money for GU in TV contracts and tournament money that we can use to continue to expand facilities and that combined with a better conference will allow us to recruit better players. I happen to believe that Mark Few is one of the best coaches in the country and if he had access to the same recruits as some of the big boys he would do what he did last year, almost every year.

Honestly, for us it makes sense. We fly all over the place in non-conference trying to get good games so we would just flip it and fly more in conference and stay closer to home for non-conference. Not a big deal. The big question is whether the BE willing to make this happen and unfortunately for us this is are only real option for moving conferences and it will be a tough sell.

MDABE80
12-03-2017, 12:48 AM
I listen and I think the guy who commented as a 2nd voice was more realistic. Several things line up against Big East membership. geography is huge.....no no....really huge. These kids are students and the 6-8 trips east would just be incredibly hard on them. Plus if we'd have to involve, softball, baseball, and so on....the deal would die. Why? BB makes money, the others do not. Also, the difficulty going back and forth would apply to the other sports as well.
I love the idea of a better league but until we get a "way back" (Loved Rocky and Bullwinkle)or some time travel molecular machine who can send us to another time zone immediately, this is just too tall for college kids.

Also, I 've never heard anything like "votes" being taken to admit or deny entry to the Big East. These two games ( ie Jays and Nova) are not experiments.....never hear that from either AD's. Just some games with comparable schools. Convenient the Big East guys were looking for Jesuit schools to play. As many know, Creighton's been on the agenda for years.

Nobody doubts the value of a better league. Seems like it's just too complicated/impractical. If the Big East could develop a WesternDivision, maybe.....nothing so far though.

Murphy outgo lifer
12-03-2017, 01:18 AM
I listen and I think the guy who commented as a 2nd voice was more realistic. Several things line up against Big East membership. geography is huge.....no no....really huge. These kids are students and the 6-8 trips east would just be incredibly hard on them. Plus if we'd have to involve, softball, baseball, and so on....the deal would die. Why? BB makes money, the others do not. Also, the difficulty going back and forth would apply to the other sports as well.
I love the idea of a better league but until we get a "way back" (Loved Rocky and Bullwinkle)or some time travel molecular machine who can send us to another time zone immediately, this is just too tall for college kids.

The fact that this would be hardest on GU is the most interesting part about this whole thing. The BE is saying, oh the travel would be so hard but in reality for most sports it means one longer plane trip to Spokane each year. I am trying to think if there is another sport that would require the Big East teams to travel to Spokane more, maybe rowing and cross country (but maybe these would just be on the east coast for GU).

To be honest my opinion mirrors that of Gonzaga in that I think that college athletics normally requires a lot of travel anyways so what is the big difference in 2 or 3 extra hours on a plane. You are going to have to spend the night wherever you go anyways. Also, we usually travel a ton in our non-conference so if they were to move to the BE they could cut the travel in that area which might equal out over the whole season.

The biggest difference would be for the other sports as they probably don't travel as much as the basketball teams, however, this would be a great opportunity for them to continue to increase their competitiveness in all sports.

Bogozags
12-03-2017, 06:06 AM
Here are some "IFs" to think about regarding joining the BE...

1. Who is the other team joining BE besides us (SMC, SCU, USF...). Whichever school in might be would have to consider the below issues.

2. The BE would have to be split into two divisions an East and West.

3. To limit traveling across the continent "every week," an unbalanced schedule would have to be implemented, where we would only play each East team once a season and that way only three teams would have to travel west or east, where each BE team would only play 16 conference games and then four BE tournament games.

4. Saving money and time on east coast trips...teams might have to stay on the road for three games as this would optimize travel dollars; however, this would keep kids out of classes much longer than usual but would still leave ample time for course work.

5. Competition level would rise immensely and GU winning 30 games would be a most difficult task. On the other hand, I believe recruiting of US 4/5 star recruits would be easier as our recruiting base would increase in size.

6. Income from joining the BE would IMO increase substantially but we wouldn't be on ESPN but rather I believe a CBS affiliate.

7. What to do with the non-revenue sports...where would they play? I would bet all my money the WCC will not open it's arms and let them continue to play in that league. Maybe, the Mountain West or the Big Sky would take them for a price!

8. This would also effect the Women's team so I'd assume they would have to be included in this conversation BUT IMO they would be all for it.

9. What about the start-up costs for both men's and women's teams to join the BE. Would there be an initiation fee? If so, how much and who would pay it - not the school but most likely Alumni.

10. What about all the NCAA Tournament money over the next five years...would GU still get their slice of the pie or would the conference keep it for the remaining eight schools?

Sure, as fans we would all like GU to leave WCC and play in a "better" league but there would be many issues...I am sure more than I mentioned above.

Would it be practical for GU to leave for the BE just so it's fan base have better home games to watch?

raise the zag
12-03-2017, 06:27 AM
3. To limit traveling across the continent "every week," an unbalanced schedule would have to be implemented, where we would only play each East team once a season and that way only three teams would have to travel west or east, where each BE team would only play 16 conference games and then four BE tournament games.

This. Good suggestion.

C'mon, we're overthinking it; if not for geography/travel constraints, we would have joined the Big East years ago. Perfect fit from an athletics, affiliation, & association standpoint.

We have to get creative to mitigate this issue, such as Bogo posted.

I say we build a satellite arena in Minneapolis for Conference games, that way, we can meet in the middle with all these East teams, direct/easy flights, and I can watch all the games in person!

Hey, there are a TON of Zag fans in MN, just sayin'....Pohlad family lives here too, bet they'd be throw down. ;)

bartruff1
12-03-2017, 06:29 AM
" Don't mess with happy ".........

The WCC has not prevented Gonzaga from getting a high ranking and a high seed...... in fact... it is just about a automatic bid to the NCAA..... and they can participate in nearly any early season tournament and schedule marque games in the non conference...

Gonzaga needs the WCC more than the Conference needs them.

Baldwinzag
12-03-2017, 06:40 AM
Conference games are half a season i.e. January - March.

It would be once every other week to play 2 games on the East Coast.

I chuckle at the travel issues.

What do NBA teams do? And they play multiple games EVERY week all over the country. Both coasts. Being a student athlete doesn't matter -- more time to study/homework on the plane ride, if anything.

We could be savvy with the travel and schedule. When we play St Johns we drive over and play Seton Hall, etc.

Then two teams from 'over there' come to play us the next week in Spokane (where we'll be for 2 more wks). Better than OOC schedule most years.

Everyone, including the officials and boards, are overthinking it.

Just think about OOC play for a minute. November - January. Nearly the same length. Well, we travel to Bahamas, Hawaii, New York, Orlando, East Coast, Mid-West, etc etc. It was worse years ago.

Baldwinzag
12-03-2017, 06:47 AM

Stop. Works both ways.

One time, maybe twice in last 19 seasons we needed to win the WCC Tournament to get in. We were headed for an auto bid in every year prior...

Also, WCC allows almost zero margin for error. We have to play perfect in OOC and esp WCC play. We are the marquee game for every single WCC team, including BYU and SMC.

In another conference, we could develop our bench or role players in OOC play. We don't have to hit the ground running every season, requiring us to beat every Power 5 team we play, save the Top-10 match-ups. Not to mention, ANY loss in Conference is generally worth 3 or 4 seed lines, and national criticism, significant drop in rankings, etc. Scheduling could be more evenly spaced, and even better before conference season. Less travel. Pick and choose.

Perfection in conference play is expected, moreso now than ever.

We could go .500 in Big East and still be in the discussion to get in...with arguably a better seed. Gonzaga has to go 30-1 to get Top seed. We lose a handful of games, 27-5 is a 8 or 9 seed for us. Maybe bit better given our name-brand these days, but still...

Point is, our standard of play, pedigree, brand, and program deserve a promotion.

Ever have a bad day at work? or call in sick? Well, Gonzaga doesn't have the luxury. In the Big East, its forgiven, esp early season. Not to mention, simply more competitive overall, and into March.

amaronizag
12-03-2017, 06:48 AM
I just don't think the cross country travel will ever happen for all of the reasons stated above. I know absolutely ZERO about this subject, but it seems much more reasonable that GU and maybe St Mary's or BYU would join the PAC12. I could live with playing those teams. Not sure if we're wanted, if we want it, or how it would impact the other sports at GU. Is this stupid on my part? Has it already been considered and dismissed?

willandi
12-03-2017, 06:52 AM

Maybe Gonzaga can field a JV team that would stay in the WCC and send the 'Big Boy' team to play in the Big East.

Baldwinzag
12-03-2017, 06:57 AM
I just don't think the cross country travel will ever happen for all of the reasons stated above. I know absolutely ZERO about this subject, but it seems much more reasonable that GU and maybe St Mary's or BYU would join the PAC12. I could live with playing those teams. Not sure if we're wanted, if we want it, or how it would impact the other sports at GU. Is this stupid on my part? Has it already been considered and dismissed?

Or what if we took St Mary's, BYU, and Gonzaga to join with the Mountain West?

At least an uptick in competitive play, and we would add serious credibility to said conference.

Gonzaga, San Diego St, BYU, St Marys, Boise St, UNLV, Nevada, even Wyoming (always solid) would be an interesting bball conference.

Although, St Mary's would never go for it, as they'd probably love if Gonzaga left WCC. You would think the opposite, as we are their biggest game of the year, yet you get the sense they are dying to be a Big Fish in a Small Pond. You can tell this in how they schedule and how Randy Bennett shakes hands. lol

willandi
12-03-2017, 07:07 AM
It seems that the only way it could work is, as was stated above, a conference with east and west divisions. Within the division it is home and home, for the other division it alternates each year, With 8 team divisions, it would be two trips back east each regular season, playing Th-Sat, or Fri-Sun (of course that would eliminate BYU as a travel partner).

The other sports would have to travel for play on the same trips whenever possible. It does seem that many of the other sports (not WBB) play outside of conference play a lot. I am not familiar with most, so can't really address that.

The Zags and the WCC seem like a good fit, aside from most of the other teams not improving, but several just got new, high profile, head coaches, so we really need to see how that pans out before we toss out the bath water.

jazzdelmar
12-03-2017, 07:07 AM
BE West makes too much sense......with 2 Big East East trips once a year ..... 2 games with adjacent schools..... BE West might be GU, SMC, Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Saint Loo.... Catholick' college prexies, not lowly ADs, need to get in a room in Hawaii and make it happen. Only prob: There's no great Dave Gavitt to kick their buttz. SMC game site an issue; hafta move to SF place. Even Zags may need an occasional larger venue for the likes of Nova.

thespywhozaggedme
12-03-2017, 07:40 AM
" Don't mess with happy ".........

The WCC has been not prevented Gonzaga from getting a high ranking and a high seed...... in fact... it is just about a automatic bid to the NCAA..... and they can participate in nearly any early season tournament and schedule marque games in the non conference...

Are you kidding me? Without us the WCC is worse than the Southland Concerence

basketballzag
12-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Are you kidding me? Without us the WCC is worse than the Southland Concerence

And when the ESPN deal collapses due to bankruptcy we better be prepared to make a move. CBS will be limited in which conferences they bring on.

TexasZagFan
12-03-2017, 09:18 AM
And when the ESPN deal collapses due to bankruptcy we better be prepared to make a move. CBS will be limited in which conferences they bring on.

Yes, we need an escape route when ESPN capsizes.

jazzdelmar
12-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Travel Partners: BIG EAST-WEST CONFERENCE

Arguably, the 2d best MBB conference in the country

BIG EAST-EAST
St Johns-Seton Hall
Providence-Holy Cross
G’Town-Nova
Saint Joe-LaSalle

BIG EAST-WEST
Creighton-Saint Loo
Xavier-Butler
DePaul-Marquette
GU-SMC

DixieZag
12-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Yes, we need an escape route when ESPN capsizes.

We need not worry, https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/09/29/nfl-espn-2017-ratings ESPN and https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/05/espn-layoffs-future/524922/

The less hyperbolic story is that, over the last decade, ESPN built perhaps the most profitable business in media, and the future of its business will likely exist somewhere beneath that superlative. But as long as Americans enjoy sports—and as long as individual sports leagues see a financial benefit in selling access to an entertainment company rather than selling straight to consumers—there is every reason to expect ESPN will continue to be an extremely valuable network.

Some contracts may not be quite as rich, but, a problem for another day.

I like the idea of being one of the first schools in the modern period to simply start up a Division One football program from scratch and join the new Pac 14 with BYU. :)

bartruff1
12-03-2017, 11:38 AM
ESPN isn't going anywhere and neither is Gonzaga. The WCC has been around since the 50's (California Basketball Conference) and has been ......along with the Ivy League....... one of the most stable conferences...

Given the competition for recreation spending in California, It makes no economic sense for those schools to invest the millions of dollars in facilities and staffing that it would take to compete in the top 25 in basketball.

They don't need Gonzaga or BYU, in fact Gonzaga and BYU are very lucky that they have the Conference and the 15 sports it sanctions....WCC has won 9 National Championships in soccer....

If Gonzaga wants to take it's marbles and head for a different conference, I am sure they would say good luck and don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out... and would not miss the trips to the frozen north and the Spokane Media Market.

I would assume by their actions that they are perfectly happy to have a mid major conference and get their auto to the NCAA..

The endowments at places like Santa Clara and Pepperdine are nearly a Billion Dollars.... Gonzaga and Portland and St Mary's are the relatively poor schools....

jazzdelmar
12-03-2017, 11:44 AM
ESPN isn't going anywhere and neither is Gonzaga. The WCC has been around since the 50's (California Basketball Conference) and has been ......along with the Ivy League....... one of the most stable conferences...

Given the competition for recreation spending in California, It makes no economic sense for those schools to invest the millions of dollars in facilities and staffing that it would take to compete in the top 25 in basketball.

They don't need Gonzaga or BYU, in fact Gonzaga and BYU are very lucky that they have the Conference and the 15 sports it sanctions....WCC has won 9 National Championships in soccer....

If Gonzaga wants to take it's marbles and head for a different conference, I am sure they would say good luck and don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out... and would not miss the trips to the frozen north and the Spokane Media Market.

I would assume by their actions that they are perfectly happy to have a mid major conference and get their auto to the NCAA..

No doubt. But why are you arguing from the small end of the telescope. Mediocrity would be an upgrade for the remaining WCC teams.

bartruff1
12-03-2017, 11:58 AM
If anything the $500 million dollar contract the Big East has with Fox is at greater risk than ESPN...

Zagceo
12-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Everyone enjoy the taste of Ohio State Florida Texas Creighton and Villanova because just around the corner is Pacific Santa Clara Pepperdine and Loyola.....like having dessert before dinner and cocktail hour isn't till March...wash rinse repeat

jazzdelmar
12-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Everyone enjoy the taste of Ohio State Florida Texas Creighton and Villanova because just around the corner is Pacific Santa Clara Pepperdine and Loyola.....like having dessert before dinner and cocktail hour isn't till March...wash rinse repeat

More like having dessert before a colonoscopy cleanse.

bartruff1
12-03-2017, 01:42 PM
No one can make you watch....you are perfectly free to follow a team that meets your standards....

jazzdelmar
12-03-2017, 01:45 PM
No one can make you watch....you are perfectly free to follow a team that meets your standards....

Trust me, I skip plenty of second halves vs WCC dreck. But thanks for the clarification

Zagceo
12-03-2017, 01:52 PM
More like having dessert before a colonoscopy cleanse.

At least with colonoscopy you get Propofol

Pleasant Peninsula
12-03-2017, 02:18 PM
The WCC is a joke and Gonzaga needs to figure out how to move up. I predict it will happen in the next five years.

CDC84
12-03-2017, 09:01 PM
If anything, what this podcast proves is that whether you like the idea or not as a Gonzaga fan, the athletic dept. is seriously considering it and has taken steps towards making it a reality.

One person mentioned to me today that this whole thing might just be a "veiled threat" on Gonzaga's part to alert the WCC "cellar dwellers" that leaving is an option, and that they ought to think about it before they take away anymore more money from their own basketball programs.

Zagceo
12-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Pepperdine Loyola and USF are not interested in building competitive basketball programs. Gonzaga leaving WCC as a “veiled threat” would probably be welcomed by some because it would stop the persistent whining by others to invest more resources into a basketball programs they see as not important or maybe even a distraction.

USD Santa Clara Pacific Portland have invested money into programs but have struggled to compete.

IMO schools have made a decision based on self interest.....not money...could be wrong.

jchocolate99
12-04-2017, 02:51 AM
I honestly don't understand why everyone keeps adding St. Mary's as some potential western partner to join the Big East. Even though GU has distance issues from the rest of the Big East we still have a school that's all in with regards to pouring money and resources into the bball program and sports overall... SMC does not have that support nor legit financial means. Adding St. Mary's in any dream or hypothetical scenario does not make long term sense. They are not a program made for the long term and looking at their present success is short sighted and does not make business sense whatsoever for a legit conference.

TexasZagFan
12-04-2017, 05:23 AM
I honestly don't understand why everyone keeps adding St. Mary's as some potential western partner to join the Big East. Even though GU has distance issues from the rest of the Big East we still have a school that's all in with regards to pouring money and resources into the bball program and sports overall... SMC does not have that support nor legit financial means. Adding St. Mary's in any dream or hypothetical scenario does not make long term sense. They are not a program made for the long term and looking at their present success is short sighted and does not make business sense whatsoever for a legit conference.

What are the arena sizes of the current Big East programs? I can't imagine that McKeon would be viewed favorably.

strikenowhere
12-04-2017, 05:52 AM

BYU is the only school that makes sense as the other addition, both from a footprint standpoint and from a competitive one.

jazzdelmar
12-04-2017, 05:57 AM

Even as pie in the sky, GU's entry to the BE would require a travel partner, hence the SMC reference. But you make a great point. Who else then? BYU? Not a good fit and they have major FB. Oddly, only USD has a BE level, well almost, venue among the dwarves.

bartruff1
12-04-2017, 06:52 AM
At some point......when they don't get their way....many 5 year olds make a veiled threat to run away and take their imaginary friend with them ....of course...... they soon discover that they really have no where to go....... and it is almost time for lunch.... and home looks pretty good.....and they live happily ever after... :)

strikenowhere
12-04-2017, 07:15 AM
At some point......when they don't get their way....many 5 year olds make a veiled threat to run away and take their imaginary friend with them ....of course...... they soon discover that they really have no where to go....... and it is almost time for lunch.... and home looks pretty good.....and they live happily ever after... :)

At some point, those precocious 5-year olds grow up and move out of their parents' house on to bigger and better things.

TexasZagFan
12-04-2017, 07:26 AM

Are you suggesting the Zags have nowhere to go besides the WCC?

IMO, the future realignment of college football will cause a similar shift in college hoops. Four conferences, 16 teams each. Perfect setup for a true playoff for college football. The TV money will be gargantuan.

If you aren't one of the 64, the focus inevitably will turn to college basketball, and create more basketball only conferences. Gonzaga would definitely be a major player in that scenario.

Fox Sports SW (Houston) leaped at the opportunity to televise the Zags' games against TSU and IW.

I could see a deal with the Zags and Fox Pac NW. Our brand was good last year, making it to the title game put our brand into the stratosphere.

bartruff1
12-04-2017, 07:28 AM
Thursday's Child has far to go....

bartruff1
12-04-2017, 07:32 AM
I am certain they have no better place to go....and I see no possibility of your scenario .....

Like every living thing, Colleges including Gonzaga, seek their own self interest....IMHO that is the WCC.

TexasZagFan
12-04-2017, 07:35 AM
At some point, those precocious 5-year olds grow up and move out of their parents' house on to bigger and better things.

Don't hold your breath...my 28 YO son moved back in last year, and we see no sign of him moving out. At least he's working and is going back to school.

Different world today. Part of the reason I chose GU was its distance from home (900 miles). There were no issues at home, my sister and I both left the house at 18. That's pretty much how it was done 40+ years ago.

I think we're closer to an impatient 16YO, instead of the precocious 5YO. The addition of the Volkar Center should pay dividends, and we're becoming a go-to school for elite Euros who want to play in the NBA. Ayayi and Filip are the latest 4/5 star additions to the Zag family. No doubt the staff is applying lessons learned from Rui's first year and a half. GU remains the close knit, welcoming community that I've always remembered.