PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-CU

Section 116
12-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Random thoughts I recall from the drive home:

Creighton, after shooting 58% in the first half appeared to be on task to end the Zags streak of 63 straight game holding opponents under 50% shooting for the game. The lockdown defensive performance in the second half made Creighton victim 64 as they finished at 48%.

Zach Norvell Jr. 0-5 in the first half, missed his first shot in the second half and then made 7 straight. Adam Morrison noted you could see it in his eyes after the first one went down, and his body language totally changed, slapping the floor in defensive stance etc.

Creighton's Foster was 6-11 from the floor in the first half and was killing the Zags. Foster was 2-9 in the second half as GU defensive switches put a lot of length on Foster and really bothered him.

The kid who guarded Perkins (Thomas?) I think Hudson said was the defensive player of the year last year in the Big East and really bothered Perkins. Perkins 5 points all came from the free throw line but he did have six rebounds and 4 assists.

Tillie had a monster game, leading the Zags with 22. Also 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals. His athleticism and length really bothered Creighton and Tillie scored most every way, a dunk, from three, driving to the hoop. Morrison noted Tillie is quietly becoming a leader on the team and he is doing it by his play and example as he is not a big rah rah guy.

Michaelson noted Melson really kept us in the game in the first half with his 16 points as he too finished with a career high or 21 as were Tillies 22. Michaelson said defensive inattentiveness really hurt GU in the first half and led to the great shooting half of CU.

Morrison noted CU really doubled down on the left side when JW3 had the ball down low and he really had to work hard for his 15.

I think the Hegner kid for Creighton was very doubtful for tonights game (I think that's the kid Michaelson was referring to and the Zags were surprised to see him on the floor. Michaelson noted Hegner first shot was contested and not very pretty but it swirled down and he ended up having a pretty good shooting night 4-6 and 2 threes to finish with 10.

A personal observation is Creighton will say they were homered by the refs as the Zags went 19-25 on the free throw lines and the Blue Jays were only 4-8. Another observation Creighton travels well as there were a lot of Blue Jay fans up in Section 116 and more scattered around the arena. Probably one of the better visiting team fan bases I have seen, and they cheered loudly for their team but were not rude or disrespectful (I'm being polite here,
as there are other adjectives I could use) like some WCC fan bases I have seen including one unnamed Utah university.

Michaelson noted the Zags will be in really tough on Tuesday against a Villanova squad that does everything well, consistently!

Zag_Dad
12-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Thank you for the summary.

GO ZAGS

JPtheBeasta
12-01-2017, 09:40 PM
The free-throw discrepancy was something I hadn't noticed. I actually thought the Zags got the short end of several 50-50 offensive foul calls. The timing of the fouls is obviously important for the free-throw statistic, as exhibited by a fairly even foul tally for both teams; Creighton had 18 and Gonzaga had 14.

Mantua
12-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Some of the Creighton players had insufferable attitudes.

Zagceo
12-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Some of the Creighton players had insufferable attitudes.

according to TV Perkins was on verge of getting run for arguing with refs

JPtheBeasta
12-01-2017, 10:37 PM
according to TV Perkins was on verge of getting run for arguing with refs

Hmmm. Doubling to get the ball out of his hands must have been frustrating, but is a good strategy. Cut off the head of the snake, so they say. I must have missed some off the ball stuff. Maybe there were some times when they hedged too hard on screens and bodied him. But I missed all of that and probably need to watch it over again.

TexasZagFan
12-01-2017, 11:00 PM
The free-throw discrepancy was something I hadn't noticed. I actually thought the Zags got the short end of several 50-50 offensive foul calls. The timing of the fouls is obviously important for the free-throw statistic, as exhibited by a fairly even foul tally for both teams; Creighton had 18 and Gonzaga had 14.

Not likely to get as many FTs when your offense is heavy on three pointers.

Zags11
12-01-2017, 11:58 PM
Yea some Creighton fans where I was sitting. Kc was OK tonight. Off and on IMO. Great win.

cggonzaga
12-02-2017, 12:06 AM
There is actually a fairly large Creighton alumni base here. Don’t believe too many traveled here from Omaha. Creighton social at the Onion was fun. Good people.

I thought the KC was great tonight as well as the general population.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-02-2017, 04:19 AM
Thanks for your traditional postgame radio thread Section! It’s become a favorite accompaniment to my morning coffee. Much appreciated.

RenoZag
12-02-2017, 04:41 AM
Thanks for your traditional postgame radio thread Section! It’s become a favorite accompaniment to my morning coffee. Much appreciated.

Indeed. Thanks for the radio recap, Section 116. Have a great weekend

Zags11
12-02-2017, 05:16 AM
There is actually a fairly large Creighton alumni base here. Don’t believe too many traveled here from Omaha. Creighton social at the Onion was fun. Good people.

I thought the KC was great tonight as well as the general population.

It was buzzing at the start but went quiet a lot and then would pick back up. Differing opinions. Some were frome Seattle the Creighton fans.

ZionZag
12-02-2017, 05:34 AM
It was buzzing at the start but went quiet a lot and then would pick back up. Differing opinions. Some were frome Seattle the Creighton fans.

In the early 70's one of Creighton's Dental School graduating classes was 10% from Spokane.......Some attorney in Omaha are Zag Law School grads......many intermingled marriages. Wearing Zag stuff in Omaha will often get comments about this or that connection to Zagville

Zags11
12-02-2017, 06:41 AM
In the early 70's one of Creighton's Dental School graduating classes was 10% from Spokane.......Some attorney in Omaha are Zag Law School grads......many intermingled marriages. Wearing Zag stuff in Omaha will often get comments about this or that connection to Zagville

Great tidbit! Thx!

Zagceo
12-02-2017, 07:42 AM

How does a Jesuit school with 4k undergrads get a medical/dental/law/nursing school? Omaha?

Zagceo
12-02-2017, 07:50 AM
At the very end of Melsons interview on radio Hudson makes a comment about oh here comes Rui we'll get him on air next time and test his English.

sittingon50
12-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Silas mentioned that sometimes he lacks a little confidence in his shooting when things are not falling. But then mentioned that Zach is never that way; even with an o-fer in the 1st half, he has total confidence in putting up the next one.

Zag365
12-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Nice mention of Jeremy Jones contribution. High energy and defensive work, including a steal (plus a nice bucket in separate play on the offensive end). He really contributed significantly during his brief appearance. Rightfully mentioned in the radio post-game with Hudson and Ammo (although it may have been the ESPN TV crew).

Zagcity
12-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Indeed. Thanks for the radio recap, Section 116. Have a great weekend

Yes, thanks
I was stuck in the parking garage after the game and couldn't get reception. Was hoping to hear what Adam had too say.

soccerdud
12-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Nice mention of Jeremy Jones contribution. High energy and defensive work, including a steal (plus a nice bucket in separate play on the offensive end). He really contributed significantly during his brief appearance. Rightfully mentioned in the radio post-game with Hudson and Ammo (although it may have been the ESPN TV crew).

that looked like a helluva layup. wish they had shown a closer replay where we could see that footwork. if anyone finds one, please link.