PDA

View Full Version : I'm calling it now; we're beating Nova and may not lose again in the regular season

thespywhozaggedme
12-01-2017, 08:23 PM
As most of you know, I've been extremely bullish on this team since the summer. We are so deep and so talented on any given night anyone of 7 different players can step up if someone is having an off night. I called us making the EE before the season began and I'm even more confident of that now. I love this team. Go Zags!

Zagceo
12-01-2017, 08:23 PM
OK

Zagceo
12-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Not surprised

DixieZag
12-01-2017, 08:25 PM
I called it 10 minutes ago, this thread was coming within 20 minutes.

Zagceo
12-01-2017, 08:25 PM
Makes us NAT CHAMPS

thespywhozaggedme
12-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Makes us NAT CHAMPS

I meant for the regular season, sorry for not being clear

Zag_Dad
12-01-2017, 08:27 PM
LOL... not gonna predict a win , but just decided to take son-in-law to NY for the game. Anyone got leads on tickets?

ZagMan in Philly
12-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Sounds like Philadelphia Eagles fans around here.

23dpg
12-01-2017, 08:29 PM
I called it 10 minutes ago, this thread was coming within 20 minutes.

(Drops the mike)

LongIslandZagFan
12-01-2017, 08:33 PM
LOL... not gonna predict a win , but just decided to take son-in-law to NY for the game. Anyone got leads on tickets?

Choices were slim when I bought a couple weeks ago but some seats may be left.

Zag_Dad
12-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Choices were slim when I bought a couple weeks ago but some seats may be left.

Still quite a few on StubHub. Would prefer to sit with Zag fans so please let me know if anyon3 has a lead on tx in a Zag section.

Zagricultural
12-01-2017, 09:13 PM
I predicted we'd beat Creighton, and lose to Nova. Haven't seen anything to change my mind yet

Zag_Dad
12-01-2017, 09:18 PM
I predicted we'd beat Creighton, and lose to Nova. Haven't seen anything to change my mind yet

Okay, Mr Grinch. GU just beat the #23 team in country by almost 20 points without one of our starting players in the game. Yet, you see “nothing” to convince you GU “could” win at MSG?
I, for one, am encouraged by this. To me, it looks like we can and will compete with anyone...anywhere. I’m bullish on the Zags.

Let’s Go!!

thespywhozaggedme
12-01-2017, 09:18 PM

And what exactly has Villanova done to prove that they're better than us? Would you be shocked if I showed you their opponents thus far:

AR SEASON
vs CLMB W75-60
vs NICH W113-77
vs LAF W104-57
vs WKU W66-58
vs TENN W85-76
vs UNI W64-50
vs PENN W90-62

Goshzagit
12-01-2017, 09:30 PM
And what exactly has Villanova done to prove that they're better than us? Would you be shocked if I showed you their opponents thus far:

AR SEASON
vs CLMB W75-60
vs NICH W113-77
vs LAF W104-57
vs WKU W66-58
vs TENN W85-76
vs UNI W64-50
vs PENN W90-62

Tennessee beat NC State and a very good Top-20 Purdue team before being beat up by Nova.

Purdue has beaten Arizona, Marquette, Maryland, and Top-20 Louisville this season, but couldn't beat the Vols.

W. Kentucky beat Top-20 Purdue, yet also lost to Nova.

UNI beat UNLV, NC State, and SMU before being blown out by Nova.

Villanova hasn't played a world-beater schedule, yet handled business vs some good teams.

All (5) starters avg double figures, they shoot 51% FG, 38% 3pt. They are Top-30 in almost EVERY statistical category defensively and offensively.

Just as AMMO said, they simply do everything well, and consistently. Interestingly, they are a hybrid of Florida and Creighton combined. They have elite guards, athletic, high power offense, not the best bigs around, yet can score in a variety of ways.

Nova very similar to Florida but better defensively in almost every area.

Zags would have to to string TWO halves together like they did in 2nd half tonight to escape Villanova.

Bench would have to play as they did vs Incarnate Word too.

It CAN happen, but really need a complete effort from everyone. Will be like a home game for Nova too.

Zagricultural
12-01-2017, 09:39 PM
If It was in Spokane I'd feel different. I certainly believe we can beat them, but we're underdogs for a reason.

Zagricultural
12-01-2017, 09:42 PM
Okay, Mr Grinch. GU just beat the #23 team in country by almost 20 points without one of our starting players in the game. Yet, you see “nothing” to convince you GU “could” win at MSG?
I, for one, am encouraged by this. To me, it looks like we can and will compete with anyone...anywhere. I’m bullish on the Zags.

Let’s Go!!

I'm saying that I saw what I expected to see result wise, but I believe Nova in NY is a whole different beast. We're certainly able to beat them though.

I never said GU "couldn't" win. We're good enough to beat anyone in the country.

thespywhozaggedme
12-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Tennessee beat NC State and a very good Top-20 Purdue team before being beat up by Nova.

Purdue has beaten Arizona, Marquette, Maryland, and Top-20 Louisville this season, but couldn't beat the Vols.

Villanova hasn't played a world-beater schedule, yet handled business vs some good teams.

All (5) starters avg double figures, they shoot 51% FG, 38% 3pt. They are Top-30 in almost EVERY statistical category defensively and offensively.

Just as AMMO said, they simply do everything well, and consistently. Interestingly, they are a hybrid of Florida and Creighton combined. They have elite guards, athletic, high power offense, not the best bigs around, yet can score in a variety of ways.

Nova very similar to Florida but better defensively in almost every area.

Zags would have to to string TWO halves together like they did in 2nd half tonight to escape Villanova.

Bench would have to play as they did vs Incarnate Word too.

It CAN happen, but really need a complete effort from everyone. Will be like a home game for Nova too.

Our top 6 average double figures, we as a team shoot 51% from the field and 40% from three.

JPtheBeasta
12-01-2017, 09:47 PM

This reminds me of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game ;]

Zag_Dad
12-01-2017, 09:55 PM
I'm saying that I saw what I expected to see result wise, but I believe Nova in NY is a whole different beast. We're certainly able to beat them though.

I never said GU "couldn't" win. We're good enough to beat anyone in the country.

I came into this season with very tempered expectations.. I really did think we would have to battle SMC for the WCC title. From what I’ve seen so far, I am more and more optimistic after every game. SMC is no longer a team we will have to beat and we look like we can beat or compete with anyone. No doubt, it will be tough to win in NY but I BELIEVE we can win. Totally understand your point though... Villanova “should” be favored.

JPtheBeasta
12-01-2017, 09:59 PM
Assuming no bad losses in the conference schedule, has this team punched an at-large bid already?

gonstu
12-01-2017, 10:03 PM
Assuming no bad losses in the conference schedule, has this team punched an at-large bid already?

Not yet, but getting closer.

TexasZagFan
12-01-2017, 11:30 PM
I swore off predictions two years ago. A week before Karno injured his back, I predicted the Zags wouldn't lose their tenth game until December of this year.

Still, our tenth loss happened against UNC in the title game. We are now 44-3 over our last 47 games...pretty heady stuff.

TexasZagFan
12-01-2017, 11:31 PM

JP, I'm with gonstu. Let's take a look after we've played SDSU and UW.

sheps001
12-02-2017, 02:17 AM
Phew. Lets just give up and have some Pizza or hit some golf balls at Chelsea Pier.

Malastein
12-02-2017, 02:34 AM
As most of you know, I've been extremely bullish on this team since the summer. We are so deep and so talented on any given night anyone of 7 different players can step up if someone is having an off night. I called us making the EE before the season began and I'm even more confident of that now. I love this team. Go Zags!

Even if this team wins out, I currently doubt if they go beyond the Sweet Sixteen because I don’t see the same depth as everyone else. There’s definitely a solid group of starters and a couple bench players who seem capable of becoming regular contributors, but until the bench players become consistent then I can’t count on that production when talking about the team.

Zags11
12-02-2017, 05:14 AM
Even if this team wins out, I currently doubt if they go beyond the Sweet Sixteen because I don’t see the same depth as everyone else. There’s definitely a solid group of starters and a couple bench players who seem capable of becoming regular contributors, but until the bench players become consistent then I can’t count on that production when talking about the team.

Still early in the year. I see the same thing you do. However I also see the team making sw16 at worst this yr. Future is bright.

zag67
12-02-2017, 06:16 AM
Mal, I am going to disagree some. Yes we might not make it past the sweet sixteen, but part of that is going to be on our seed. I think that Norvell and Rui have started to show that they can contribute at both ends. I also think by March you are going to see a force in Larsen. He protects the middle and is doing a great job of finding the open man on passing. Some of his passes tp Tillie have really been beautiful to watch. Also Jones showed he is going to be a solid defensive contributor. Lastly we will start to see Wade in the next few months, so he is an unknown.

ZagsObserver
12-02-2017, 06:26 AM
Not likely. This team, imo, is not as good as last year. Lost to BYU last year. We will lose once in conference and maybe to nova as well.

Zaga
12-02-2017, 06:35 AM
Villanova hasn't played a world-beater schedule, yet handled business vs some good teams. Interestingly, they are a hybrid of Florida and Creighton combined. They have elite guards, athletic, high power offense, not the best bigs around, yet can score in a variety of ways. Nova very similar to Florida but better defensively in almost every area. Zags would have to to string TWO halves together like they did in 2nd half tonight to escape Villanova. It CAN happen, but really need a complete effort from everyone. Will be like a home game for Nova too.

+1 Tillie...Tillie!

DixieZag
12-02-2017, 06:48 AM
This team doesn't have the talent of last year's team, but this year's team has way more room to grow. We have the types of players, Rui, Larsen, Kispert, Norvelle, who could improve vastly during the year.

Right now I do not believe we are a top 8 team, never mind top 4.

But, we have a lot of room to grow, and who knows, maybe things will really start coming together. It will definitely take a couple of losses and some soul searching for the team to really grow and reach its potential, but it could.

They've shown some toughness against FLA, and in being down 7 and playing like crap, coming out and just beating down CU takes some mental toughness that was great to see.

Predicting no losses from here on out (through the regular season) is absurd, IMO.

soccerdud
12-02-2017, 09:28 AM
This team doesn't have the talent of last year's team, but this year's team has way more room to grow. We have the types of players, Rui, Larsen, Kispert, Norvelle, who could improve vastly during the year.

Right now I do not believe we are a top 8 team, never mind top 4.

But, we have a lot of room to grow, and who knows, maybe things will really start coming together. It will definitely take a couple of losses and some soul searching for the team to really grow and reach its potential, but it could.

They've shown some toughness against FLA, and in being down 7 and playing like crap, coming out and just beating down CU takes some mental toughness that was great to see.

Predicting no losses from here on out (through the regular season) is absurd, IMO.

agree with this entirely.

for some reason, and i've never entirely understood this, spy's thing seems to be loud and uncouched absurdity. his posting conscience reminds me of norvell's shooting conscience-- but with few runs like norvell's 2nd half.

TexasZagFan
12-02-2017, 09:42 AM

for some reason, and i've never entirely understood this, spy's thing seems to be loud and uncouched absurdity. his posting conscience reminds me of norvell's shooting conscience-- but with few runs like norvell's 2nd half.

I'm a big fan of loud and uncouched absurdity...very Zaglike.

Kiddwell
12-02-2017, 10:02 AM
...at 29-1 again (or whatever this year's schedule adds up to). If we can edge out Nova, there's a real chance this could happen. If Nova edges us out, we've still a real chance to go into the WCC tourney with only two losses, which again would be pretty awesome.

Hope Spy's prognostication holds true. If so, and assuming WCC tourney champions, we'd be a likely 1 or 2 seed in the Big Dance. (Ain't high hopes fun?)

:boxing:

:]

thespywhozaggedme
12-02-2017, 11:00 AM

Rui, Larsen and Norvell would be starting for 90% of Division I teams. That is excellent bench depth, I have no idea what you're talking about.

thespywhozaggedme
12-02-2017, 11:02 AM
Not likely. This team, imo, is not as good as last year. Lost to BYU last year. We will lose once in conference and maybe to nova as well.

I honestly don't know how you could have watched every one of our games and seen the talent and the depth and think that someone in our conference will beat us this year. Our conference stinks and we are superior to every team in it.

soccerdud
12-02-2017, 11:05 AM
I'm a big fan of loud and uncouched absurdity...very Zaglike.

but bloviations a little less so. we get plenty of that from trump and lavar. you'll notice few and team usually make their statements on the court.

I honestly don't know how you could have watched every one of our games and seen the talent and the depth and think that someone in our conference will beat us this year. Our conference stinks and we are superior to every team in it.

because predicting 20 straight wins is completely different than thinking that we will probably win each of 20 games individually. i honestly don't know how you could bump the same prediction thread after every game last year, repeatedly bringing yourself and THE SAME PREDICTION into the spotlight, only to see it fall apart -- at home, on senior night, in the last game of the year -- and NOT have learned that lesson.

ZagsObserver
12-02-2017, 11:07 AM

Wasn’t that true last year as well? They’ll be the favorite, no doubt. I still think they’ll drop one. Call it an “off” game.

thespywhozaggedme
12-02-2017, 11:14 AM

Why the ######baggery?
I started a similar thread last year and other than the BYU game we did run the table. This year our conference as a whole is worse and other than Villanova who out of conference scares you?

amaronizag
12-02-2017, 11:16 AM
The uncertainty of how new guys will play is something the Blue Bloods deal with every year. Yes, they're recruiting the top kids, but they're still young and inexperienced. Once you get over the initial nerves, it's just another basketball game, not mortal combat, but a chance to go out, play your tail off, and beat a great team. At PK80 we had some guys looking like deer in the headlights. That was a great learning experience. The Gardens will do that to the most experienced players. There is also that "hard to shoot in" stadium thing that always seems to kill GU in that venue. With all of that self doubt and negativism out of the way, I feel really good about this teams chances of beating NOVA.

We have some experienced guys who are playing solid defense in stretches and can light it up on offense. We have some solid new guys that spent last year on the bench with injuries or playing limited minutes. That year of experience counts for something too. Plus we have some hot new shooting hands this year. Last summer I predicted this team of great shooters would set a school record and average 86 points per game. I still think we can do that. And our defense will continue to tighten up as the season progresses making us a very tough out in March and April. But it's still early in the season so the game could go either way. I like our chances. If we win this game, the sky is the limit. If we get beat, it won't kill us because we were expected to lose. After last nights 2nd half performance, I'm hoping our early season jitters are turning into excitement, confidence, and a take no prisoners toughness that will help us eek out a win against NOVA. Zags by 8 points.

thespywhozaggedme
12-02-2017, 11:46 AM
but bloviations a little less so. we get plenty of that from trump and lavar. you'll notice few and team usually make their statements on the court.

because predicting 20 straight wins is completely different than thinking that we will probably win each of 20 games individually. i honestly don't know how you could bump the same prediction thread after every game last year, repeatedly bringing yourself and THE SAME PREDICTION into the spotlight, only to see it fall apart -- at home, on senior night, in the last game of the year -- and NOT have learned that lesson.

Learn the lesson? LOL I'm just some anonymous dork posting on a message board like you. We have no bearing on the outcome of the game and the amount of hubris it would take to think that what I post on the message board has any correlation whatsoever to what occurs on the basketball court is comical.

thespywhozaggedme
12-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Wasn’t that true last year as well? They’ll be the favorite, no doubt. I still think they’ll drop one. Call it an “off” game.

Yes but my point is that the talent gap may be even greater this year between us and our conference opponents. Last year there were some really good teams in the conference, I don't think that is the case this year, at least as far as competing against our talent and depth. Just outta curiosity, who do you think will beat us if you think we drop one?

soccerdud
12-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Why the ######baggery?
I started a similar thread last year and other than the BYU game we did run the table. This year our conference as a whole is worse and other than Villanova who out of conference scares you?

honestly? because that's the tone you and i take when we are frustrated with someone.

and yeah, i'm aware, i pointed it out in my previous post.

no one scares me. not even a little. i just understand probability when applied to a series of events.

ETA:

Learn the lesson? LOL I'm just some anonymous dork posting on a message board like you. We have no bearing on the outcome of the game and the amount of hubris it would take to think that what I post on the message board has any correlation whatsoever to what occurs on the basketball court is comical.

huh? my point wasn't some ridiculousness about a jynx or anything else. truly unsure if that is you being intentionally obtuse or not. my hope was that YOU would have learned something about:
probability when applied to a series of events.

thespywhozaggedme
12-02-2017, 01:16 PM
honestly? because that's the tone you and i take when we are frustrated with someone.

and yeah, i'm aware, i pointed it out in my previous post.

no one scares me. not even a little. i just understand probability when applied to a series of events.

ETA:

huh? my point wasn't some ridiculousness about a jynx or anything else. truly unsure if that is you being intentionally obtuse or not. my hope was that YOU would have learned something about:

You're not getting the point. There are literally no consequences to my prognostications, therefore no lesson to be learned. The drivel that I write has no bearing on the outcome of the game. We're not as important as you seem to think we are. lol

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-02-2017, 01:52 PM
You're not getting the point. There are literally no consequences to my prognostications, therefore no lesson to be learned. The drivel that I write has no bearing on the outcome of the game. We're not as important as you seem to think we are. lol

You would make a lousy Red Sox fan.

TexasZagFan
12-02-2017, 05:11 PM
You would make a lousy Red Sox fan.

I never knew of a GOOD Red Sox Fan. :lmao:

krozman
12-02-2017, 06:00 PM
All joking aside, the reason why nobody should expect GU to win is because you see the best of what they do and the worst of what they do in the same game. Literally a game of two halves that look like two different teams. Consistency is what they'll be striving for by March, but at this point I'm not convinced that they will put a good game together. I think it's just as likely they play an entire game like the first half of yesterday's game and lose by 25, and equally likely that they play an entire game shooting 64% and winning by 30. Or it'll be a balance of the two. I'll be watching, but don't put real money on this one.

sylean
12-02-2017, 06:15 PM
I like this team better than last year....Josh is playing lights out....they could very well go deep in the tourney...

DixieZag
12-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Without disparaging this team in any way, not the slightest bit, we ought to recognize that last year's team had poised, mature, leadership of the type that one sees maybe once a decade, or generation, if one is lucky.

I LOVE this scrappy group we've got. They boat race, they fly through the air, they punch with tough teams, and they shoot lights out.

But, in terms of going "ultra-deep" in March? I don't think it was a coincidence that the one year we had a Nigel Williams-Goss was the one year (so far) that we've gone to the Final Four.

This post is in praise of just how special Nigel's overall presence was to this team/school, it is not even a tiny slight on this team.

Can we go to the Final Four without a NWG? Of course. It's just much tougher, and we need bigger things in other areas. This team isn't there yet, but I can't think of a recent Zag team that had more room to "fill out its clothes" than this team. We also have a couple of guys who could grow to find a "Nigel-like" presence about them.

ZagOD7540
12-02-2017, 07:43 PM
I like this team better than last year....Josh is playing lights out....they could very well go deep in the tourney...

Are you kidding me...better than last year?

cggonzaga
12-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Why the ######baggery?

I’m sorry but who started that thread?

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58217-Do-we-lose-this-year

siliconzag
12-03-2017, 01:24 AM
Hello again fellow Zag fans. Please excuse the tardy congratulations for a convincing victory over Creighton. I could not get ESPN to transmit the video feed across the Atlantic, so I followed on Gametracker. It seems as though the wheels came off in the second half for the Bluejays and the Zags found a new hero. I harbor no bitterness; being a double alum has its advantages as well as drawbacks. I always root for Jesuit teams when they play unless that Jesuit team happens to be playing Creighton or Gonzaga, as in Marquette or USF. And so I guess in a figurative way, Creighton is my wife and Gonzaga my mistress. The article in the Omaha World Herald was quite insightful, although its author consistently, in true Midwest fashion, understates the case to be made for the homeboys. A special thanks to Reborn, Former 1 D, and Jazz for their private messages.

So now, I return to my former “double agent” status. I wish the Zags the best in NYC. They will find a throng of Villanova fans, as Philly is geographically advantaged and NYC before Christmas is purge magic. MSG is a wonderful venue. I recommend an Italian restaurant nearby called, I Trulli, recommended to me by Jazzdelmar. It serves very good Pugliese cuisine. There are some great bars nearby the Garden. You may have to elbow a Nova fan or two, but they are harmless. Far less arrogant than Duke fans, they are actually classy elites in my experience. They kind of smile condescendingly at their opponents' fans, like parents would at their toddlers..

How to beat Villanova? First and foremost pray. Hope that the shots go in early and often. Getting off to a good start is paramount, as they are not used to coming from behind. Hardly ever happens, and when it does the teamwork dissolves. Defense is the second key. Deny entry passes, and challenge every pass and shot. Challenge them at half court at least. No room for the wicked. Play defense with the feet, and none of this pray away the three and put your hands up after the shots are launched malarkey.

Can the Zags do it? I think they can. I think they are that good. They need another night like they had against the Bluejays. If Villanova gets the kind of lead Creighton got, I would say that its probably time to turn out the lights and declare the party over. They have a lot of talent on that team and once they get going, their fans go from mild mannered to raucous.

As they say over here, “…in bocca al lupo.” (In the cheek of the wolf). This means break a leg, or metaphorically, good luck. There is a wonderful response that you hear some Tuscans say, “…crepi il lupo.” , meaning may the wolf die. I actually think it comes from the idea that the wolf represents Rome and there is a strong anti imperial sentiment in Tuscany. Actually it is the perfect response, since if you have the good luck to be in the cheek of the wolf, better that he dies than you.

Like Guido Sarducci, I thought I would share the weather report: Baby, it's cold outside! We have had the fire going in the farmhouse for days on end now. Better sign off,. Beat Villanova. They have it coming and richly deserve an upset. Besides when they think they are invincible, they frequently become so. The Jays have two games with them this year, one in Philly, one in the Clink. Possibly another in MSG during the Big East Tournament if all goes according to plan. Kyrie Eleison.

PS. Thanks to JP, TZF and Reborn for the shoutout in response to my "How I became Siliconjay" post. Buon Natale a tutti dalla Toscana.

jazzdelmar
12-03-2017, 04:15 AM
Sil: Anti imperial hardly covers it. More like anarchy, yes? Check out your Barzini tomes. Love that guy; fellow Columbia lion....His “The Italians” should be a guide book for all young Italos, even partials like my grandsons.....God bless, Silster, and Buon Natale and Ano to you and yours....Ciao.

QUOTE=siliconzag;1342535]Hello again fellow Zag fans. Please excuse the tardy congratulations for a convincing victory over Creighton. I could not get ESPN to transmit the video feed across the Atlantic, so I followed on Gametracker. It seems as though the wheels came off in the second half for the Bluejays and the Zags found a new hero. I harbor no bitterness; being a double alum has its advantages as well as drawbacks. I always root for Jesuit teams when they play unless that Jesuit team happens to be playing Creighton or Gonzaga, as in Marquette or USF. And so I guess in a figurative way, Creighton is my wife and Gonzaga my mistress. The article in the Omaha World Herald was quite insightful, although its author consistently, in true Midwest fashion, understates the case to be made for the homeboys. A special thanks to Reborn, Former 1 D, and Jazz for their private messages.

So now, I return to my former “double agent” status. I wish the Zags the best in NYC. They will find a throng of Villanova fans, as Philly is geographically advantaged and NYC before Christmas is purge magic. MSG is a wonderful venue. I recommend an Italian restaurant nearby called, I Trulli, recommended to me by Jazzdelmar. It serves very good Pugliese cuisine. There are some great bars nearby the Garden. You may have to elbow a Nova fan or two, but they are harmless. Far less arrogant than Duke fans, they are actually classy elites in my experience. They kind of smile condescendingly at their opponents' fans, like parents would at their toddlers..

How to beat Villanova? First and foremost pray. Hope that the shots go in early and often. Getting off to a good start is paramount, as they are not used to coming from behind. Hardly ever happens, and when it does the teamwork dissolves. Defense is the second key. Deny entry passes, and challenge every pass and shot. Challenge them at half court at least. No room for the wicked. Play defense with the feet, and none of this pray away the three and put your hands up after the shots are launched malarkey.

Can the Zags do it? I think they can. I think they are that good. They need another night like they had against the Bluejays. If Villanova gets the kind of lead Creighton got, I would say that its probably time to turn out the lights and declare the party over. They have a lot of talent on that team and once they get going, their fans go from mild mannered to raucous.

As they say over here, “…in bocca al lupo.” (In the cheek of the wolf). This means break a leg, or metaphorically, good luck. There is a wonderful response that you hear some Tuscans say, “…crepi il lupo.” , meaning may the wolf die. I actually think it comes from the idea that the wolf represents Rome and there is a strong anti imperial sentiment in Tuscany. Actually it is the perfect response, since if you have the good luck to be in the cheek of the wolf, better that he dies than you.

Like Guido Sarducci, I thought I would share the weather report: Baby, it's cold outside! We have had the fire going in the farmhouse for days on end now. Better sign off,. Beat Villanova. They have it coming and richly deserve an upset. Besides when they think they are invincible, they frequently become so. The Jays have two games with them this year, one in Philly, one in the Clink. Possibly another in MSG during the Big East Tournament if all goes according to plan. Kyrie Eleison.

PS. Thanks to JP, TZF and Reborn for the shoutout in response to my "How I became Siliconjay" post. Buon Natale a tutti dalla Toscana.[/QUOTE]

Zagquette
12-03-2017, 06:54 AM
In the last decades we have had two wins over top 5 teams. Clemson in Alaska (97?) and UNC in NYC. This would be a Top five all time win in program history. I would love to see it, but history has not been on our side vs the elites.

Zagnificent
12-03-2017, 08:07 AM
I came into this season with very tempered expectations.. I really did think we would have to battle SMC for the WCC title. From what I’ve seen so far, I am more and more optimistic after every game. SMC is no longer a team we will have to beat and we look like we can beat or compete with anyone. No doubt, it will be tough to win in NY but I BELIEVE we can win. Totally understand your point though... Villanova “should” be favored.

I consider it a win if Perkins doesn't get kicked in the face.

MontanaCoyote
12-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Zag's climbing fast @ Kenpom. Now #12 with AdjO 12 and AdjD 21. Villanova at # 1 with AdjO 2 and AdjD 6.

Will leave it to our number guys to comment on relevancy of these stats at this point of the season. Seems to indicate a real challenge and demand the best game Zag's can play. Will be interested in comments, opinions.