PDA

View Full Version : Congrats...

Qhall43
10-24-2007, 11:28 PM
to Chris Pontarolo-Maag. Our newest walk-on and future crowd favorite. :)

finechina2003
10-25-2007, 05:28 AM
How can you not love walk-ons??? What incredible odds to overcome to make a team at Gonzaga's level as a walk-on. What is his background?

Birddog
10-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Some of you oldsters may recall a certain Pontarolo who was legendary in his own way. I remember a "train ride" and a "bachelor party" for starters. Who knows, maybe he's a poster here. Perhaps this young man even if not related will contribute to the Pontarolo legends.

Birddog

77Zag
10-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Picture?? History??

Qhall43
10-25-2007, 09:29 AM
He's a 2005 graduate of Quincy. Was listed as a 5' 10" point guard his senior year of high school. That year's team lost the state 2A chamionship game 44-41 to Medical lake. Honorable mention, 2005 2A all-state team (same year Steven Gray was 2A player of the year at Chimacum). Averaged 10.4 pts./gm that season.

You can see a photo here:
http://www.tourneytown.com/galleries/2005/031105Grandboysstate.shtml

That's all I found. Maybe those who actually know him can fill in with some more

GDaleZag
10-25-2007, 09:38 AM
He's a great player, and an excellent magician.

zagfan07
10-25-2007, 09:53 AM
He made the team? WOW! I've played against the guy a few times in the past couple of years down at the Martin Center and he must have really, REALLY improved. Good for him!

I would think he'll redshirt this year, but what about next year with all of the talent coming in and only Pendo, Kuso and maybe Heytvelt leaving?

Rubbadub
10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
He's walking on Zagfan

zagfan07
10-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I understand that, but I'm thinking he'll do the same thing Sorenson did where he sits out for a year. I hope he doesn't get pushed out with all of the recruits coming in next year and only a few players leaving; but I don't think Few would do that. It'll be nice to have two walkons on the team, I always enjoy cheering for those guys, especially because they're good people off the court as well.

harryzag
10-25-2007, 10:41 AM
This could not have happened to a better person. Magic Chris is a great addition to the team, plus he can entertain everyone on those long trips with his magic tricks.

bulldogshawn
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
MAGIC CHRIS?!? sweeeet, this kid is awesome. Guarantee that team chemistry just increased 10x.

BobZag
10-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Good to hear glowing reviews of Chris from those who know him. Walkons like Chris and Andrew are just as important off the court than on, perhaps more so.

Anybody know the answer to Birddog's query?

Ikancagin
10-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Regarding Bird's inquiry,I don't think he is a relative (certainly not the immediate family) but sounds like he is about the same height as the original. Hopefully he has a better shoulder socket.

KYShake'nBake
10-25-2007, 07:05 PM
to Birddog et al,

Chris (new walk-on) is indeed nephew of train-riding, bad shoulder socket, memorable bachelor party certain older Zag in town who also has 4 Zag-in-Florence's of his own. Congrats Chris! We're thrilled for you and will watch bench as well as game! All those Quincy games and Hoopfests paid off!

Birddog
10-26-2007, 05:02 AM
Some of you oldsters may recall a certain Pontarolo who was legendary in his own way. I remember a "train ride" and a "bachelor party" for starters. Who knows, maybe he's a poster here. Perhaps this young man even if not related will contribute to the Pontarolo legends

I'm being technical here, but there is "no query", just alerting to the possibility of a relationship, and thanks for the confirmation.

More importantly though, by a show of hands, how many of you know the story of either the "train ride" or the "bachelor party". I myself am in the dark on the "shoulder socket", unless it's related to the bachelor party. Gawd, what a scene that was at "The Bubble". Some things one will never forget.

Birddog

Ikancagin
10-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Bird and Shake'n Bake
I know about both of your legendary selections and more. I didn't know about the relationship

Ikancagin
10-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Bird and Ky:
I know about Bird's two selections and more; I did not know about the relationship with Chris; congrats to him for making the team; condolences on the other.

zaguarxj
10-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Good to hear glowing reviews of Chris from those who know him. Walkons like Chris and Andrew are just as important off the court than on, perhaps more so.

I don't know beans about coaching in general or GU's coaching staff, in particular. So I was wondering how much the selection of a walk-on is determined by basketball ability -vs- how much he'll contribute to team chemistry or being a great guy to have along on road trips, etc... Obviously, a guy has to be able to play, or he won't be able to help the team out in practice. But would the staff pick a lesser player that they felt would contribute more in terms of character/chemistry?

nlwhittle
11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Chris,

I can't tell you how shocked I was to see your name in the box score! Then, after thinking it through, I wasn't shocked at all. If anyone was going to walk on to a top ten team, it would be you! I taught Chris in high school and tried many times, in vain, to get him to play tennis on the high school varsity. To all of Gonzaga's fans, you would be glad to know that I couldn't pull him out of the gym. He led the Jacks to a second place finish in state. (Almost 1st) I have yet to meet another student-athlete that trained so hard. Chris is a modern day Rudy. I can't wait to see you play this year. I'll wear the Jack's state shirt! You have a lot of support Chris.

Whittle

If you get a chance and want to say hi, look me up at East Valley High School in Yakima and send an email!