No. Arizona 57
Santa Clara 89

Texas So. 87
Oakland 97

Cent. Penn. 64
Howard 81

seacatfan
11-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Is Texas Southern gonna 0-fer in OOC? They are well on their way (0-7). Maybe a couple winnable games coming up in Toledo and Wyoming, but doubtful they're gonna beat Oregon, Baylor, BYU or TCU on the road. Their scheduling is stupid, playing every game on the road is ridiculous. Their Athletic Department should be ashamed the men's hoops team has to go through this every year as a fund raiser.

seacatfan
11-30-2017, 10:09 PM
Michigan St. handled Notre Dame. Might be Izzo's best team in quite a while.

Bogozags
12-01-2017, 05:01 AM
Is Texas Southern gonna 0-fer in OOC? They are well on their way (0-7). Maybe a couple winnable games coming up in Toledo and Wyoming, but doubtful they're gonna beat Oregon, Baylor, BYU or TCU on the road. Their scheduling is stupid, playing every game on the road is ridiculous. Their Athletic Department should be ashamed the men's hoops team has to go through this every year as a fund raiser.

Yes, I agree with you...I don't thing the football team shows any kind of a profit and most probably the Men's BB team finances the entire athletic department and maybe even a portion of the schools operating budget too...

Well, no doubt Mike Davis will have his team ready for conference play and the NCAA...maybe he'll win a game...a play in game!

DixieZag
12-01-2017, 05:24 AM

Those schools downright abuse those kids. I realize that they get almost nothing from the legislatures in those states, the HBCs get scraps. Thus these games pay for the program and their spot in D-1. Can't help but wonder if these games also pay for other programs, and some money float to salaries.

Regardless, I refuse to believe that they can't do 2 or 3 inexpensive home/home with schools similarly situated. But, every team in their conference is in the same boat, and it's not that unusual for a team to go into the conference games with no wins, but then win their conference and/or tournament.

Disappointed that USD lost to SDSU, that was a chance for a statement "We're legit top 75 RPI." Their schedule wasn't horrible, not D-III, NAIA, and the teams they played they were the type they'd have lost to in years past, and they're winning by double digits.

DixieZag
12-01-2017, 05:26 AM
Yes, I agree with you...I don't thing the football team shows any kind of a profit and most probably the Men's BB team finances the entire athletic department and maybe even a portion of the schools operating budget too...

Well, no doubt Mike Davis will have his team ready for conference play and the NCAA...maybe he'll win a game...a play in game!

Sorry, hadn't seen your post when I wrote mine.

bartruff1
12-01-2017, 05:38 AM

I don't think they are stupid, that is how they pay for their program...similar to Long Beach State.....and how prepare for their league....and they have pretty good success in their league...and win the automatic bid frequently... kind of the opposite of St Mary's...

sittingon50
12-01-2017, 09:26 AM
FYI Texas So.

The basketball team DOES NOT fund other sports at their school. They get to keep all the money for themselves. Thus one of the perks, for example when in Spokane, they stayed at the Davenport.

Birddog
12-01-2017, 09:39 AM
I wish TSU could bring along "The Motion of the Ocean" and "The Ocean of Soul"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKGkrKJk7KE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huECVS-de1Q

kitzbuel
12-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Those schools downright abuse those kids. I realize that they get almost nothing from the legislatures in those states, the HBCs get scraps. Thus these games pay for the program and their spot in D-1. Can't help but wonder if these games also pay for other programs, and some money float to salaries.

Regardless, I refuse to believe that they can't do 2 or 3 inexpensive home/home with schools similarly situated. But, every team in their conference is in the same boat, and it's not that unusual for a team to go into the conference games with no wins, but then win their conference and/or tournament.

Disappointed that USD lost to SDSU, that was a chance for a statement "We're legit top 75 RPI." Their schedule wasn't horrible, not D-III, NAIA, and the teams they played they were the type they'd have lost to in years past, and they're winning by double digits.", I refuse to believe that they can't do 2 or 3 inexpensive home/home with schools similarly situated"

Those are called conference games.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

seacatfan
12-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Beach's record is a bit better than I realized. Beat USF on the road and Oregon St. neutral site (2nd meeting of the year, lost a fairly close one in Corvallis). Got beaten like a rented mule on the road at West Virginia and Arizona and neutral site against Missouri. 3-5 record at this point. Have Stanford and Pepperdine coming up, then a fun little trip to East Lansing to play Sparty.

Bogozags
12-01-2017, 01:34 PM
FYI Texas So.

The basketball team DOES NOT fund other sports at their school. They get to keep all the money for themselves. Thus one of the perks, for example when in Spokane, they stayed at the Davenport.

Interesting, so they make a ton of money from those road games and wonder how much Davis makes off of each game?

Also, TSU has won their conference tournament in all four years that Davis has been their coach...no doubt this schedule prepares their team for conference play...

seacatfan
12-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Well, it's gotta suck for TSU fans that they can't even see their team play a home game until late December or early January. That's just bizarre. Looks like Long Beach actually plays a few home games.

seacatfan
12-01-2017, 03:09 PM
I think Texas Southern actually won at Michigan St. a few years ago. I think Beach has beaten some quality opponents in years past too. And games they didn't win they were competitive against teams like North Carolina and Louisville. I don't think Texas Southern or Long Beach are nearly as good this year as they've been in recent years looking at some game scores. And while the strategy might be working for TSU, Beach has rarely gotten a Tourney bid out of the Big West (only once in Monson's 10 years, w/ 3 NIT bids). Their schedule doesn't seem to be preparing them all that well for their conference.

DixieZag
12-01-2017, 04:13 PM
", I refuse to believe that they can't do 2 or 3 inexpensive home/home with schools similarly situated"

Those are called conference games.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

You knew what I meant. :)

A couple games with other low majors, or even other HBCs from another conference.

I am glad to hear they get to keep their own money.

This isn't just Texas Southern that schedules all away games, I believe the entire conference does near the same thing, maybe not all games, but a lot of them. So, no team gets an advantage, they've all done it.

Anyway, heartened by it all staying in BB. And I believe every Zag opponent stays in the Davenport, Zags get a great rate for each team by scheduling all that out well beforehand, TV, too. At least that's what I've heard.