PDA

View Full Version : The Last Time GU Played Creighton...

Angelo Roncalli
11-30-2017, 09:10 AM
was in mid-January in 1977.

Creighton was coached by Tom Apke and his little brother Rick was the Bluejay's best player. It is the only brother-brother/coach-player tandem I can remember. Creighton did not have much size, Apke was their center at 6'7", but they ran a beautiful up-tempo passing game. Creighton won 100-83, but the game wasn't really that close. At that time, Creighton was the best team I had ever seen in the old Kennel. I believe they were independent, and earned an NIT berth (the NCAA was a 32-team tournament then).

SWZag
11-30-2017, 09:17 AM
was in mid-January in 1977.

Creighton was coached by Tom Apke and his little brother Rick was the Bluejay's best player. It is the only brother-brother/coach-player tandem I can remember. Creighton did not have much size, Apke was their center at 6'7", but they ran a beautiful up-tempo passing game. Creighton won 100-83, but the game wasn't really that close. At that time, Creighton was the best team I had ever seen in the old Kennel. I believe they were independent, and earned an NIT berth (the NCAA was a 32-team tournament then).

Angelo, thanks for the memory!!

509er
11-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Likewise. I was there too. I don’t remember details like that but remember thinking Creighton was really good.

thebigsmoove
11-30-2017, 09:33 AM
Shoot it wasnt until 1975 that the NCAA even allowed more than 1 team per conference anyways, so the NIT was comparable to possibly even better.