PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Incarnate Word Post Game thoughts and analysis

Reborn
11-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Gonzaga 103
Incarnate Word 68

There is no surprise in the score, but the big surprise is who scored the points. This will make many many of you very happy. The bench players scored 64 of GU's 103 points led by Hachimura with 18, Norvell with 17 and Larsen 14. That was an incredible performance by our bench. I wonder if the bench set a record tonight of most points scored by a Gonzaga Bench. Way to go guys. Hachimura continued to look really good, and now Norvell finally played the way I thought he would. He looked so much better tonight. Perkins was the lone starter to score in double figures. He had 16. So the Zags continue to have four players in double figures but tonight three of them were off the bench. Zags shot 84% for the night and 43% from behind the arc, making 12 threes. Finally they shot 71% from the line and only had 10 turnovers tonight.

Looking forward to Friday nights game vs Creighton.

Zagceo
11-29-2017, 07:19 PM
Hudson said Wade was a little under the weather....but still played 19 min

Perkins 29-51 from 3's on season

whatazag
11-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Tried to watch Wade a lot since our biggest weakness is lack of backup PG. Like a lot of what I saw out of his first extended play. Moved his feet pretty well on D, active hands. Had the one turnover but was making some decent passes. Seemed to hang out in the corners a bit much rather than rotating, but I don't know if that was a function of the 2nd team being in and running different plays. Someone mentioned that Norvell was bringing up the ball for a while rather than Wade, which was curious. I think if he develops a nice mid range floater it would really augment his game.

Baldwinzag
11-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Hudson said Wade was a little under the weather....but still played 19 min

Perkins 29-51 from 3's on season

Given 50+ attempts, is this the best start/% from 3pt in Zag history?

He has been incredible so far this season.

If he could finish a bit better in the lane or around the rim, he has the ball handling, passing, and shooting to be in NBA.

Maybe use this off-season to refine his floater and finishing. Has all the other tools needed.

Zagceo
11-29-2017, 07:32 PM
B-Mike in post radio interview said Perkins on pace for 150 threes......Dickau holds record 120's?

Zag365
11-29-2017, 07:51 PM
This team does not have ego issues. Plays hard each game. Sometimes in prior seasons, our guys play down to the competition. This team doesn't. Very consistent.

Reborn
11-29-2017, 08:08 PM
I felt the same way. The bench kept the pedal to the meddle and really played well. 64 points from the bench.

willandi
11-29-2017, 08:25 PM
Tried to watch Wade a lot since our biggest weakness is lack of backup PG. Like a lot of what I saw out of his first extended play. Moved his feet pretty well on D, active hands. Had the one turnover but was making some decent passes. Seemed to hang out in the corners a bit much rather than rotating, but I don't know if that was a function of the 2nd team being in and running different plays. Someone mentioned that Norvell was bringing up the ball for a while rather than Wade, which was curious. I think if he develops a nice mid range floater it would really augment his game.

He had the turnover but got back and broke up a 2 on 1 until help arrived.

I liked what I saw

sittingon50
11-29-2017, 09:55 PM
Jesse was working hard.

bartruff1
11-29-2017, 11:53 PM
Play local or regional teams...

Zags11
11-30-2017, 12:13 AM
Won like they were supposed to....but the ball movement is beautiful. Wow.

tyra
11-30-2017, 03:33 AM
I really liked: 1) Zach N playing within control so much more than heretofore. 2) Jesse getting some minutes. I isolated on him and largely liked what i saw.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-30-2017, 04:20 AM
Rui seems to have made a big progression the past two games; you can tell he is way more comfortable in every aspect and it’s translating into playing harder...especially in terms of rebounding and defending. He has such a smoothe stroke; I think he is gonna become a 15-20 ppg scorer for this team....which would be incredible.

If his ankle is not 100% than I’d rather Zags keep Kispert out vs Creighton and start Rui in his place. Whoever picks up a foul first between Williams, Tillie, Rui gets subbed out immediately. Jones, Larsen and of course Norvell will need to step up.

If Kispert tweaks his angle again Friday there’s a good chance he misses out on the opportunity to play in MSG...memory of a lifetime for any baller.

DixieZag
11-30-2017, 04:29 AM
Rui seems to have made a big progression the past two games; you can tell he is way more comfortable in every aspect and it’s translating into playing harder...especially in terms of rebounding and defending. He has such a smoothe stroke; I think he is gonna become a 15-20 ppg scorer for this team....which would be incredible.

If his ankle is not 100% than I’d rather Zags keep Kispert out vs Creighton and start Rui in his place. Whoever picks up a foul first between Williams, Tillie, Rui gets subbed out immediately. Jones, Larsen and of course Norvell will need to step up.

If Kispert tweaks his angle again Friday there’s a good chance he misses out on the opportunity to play in MSG...memory of a lifetime for any baller.

You hit a critical point that I'm sure they're going to take a hard look at.

Is Rui's play now solid enough that they're comfortable resting that ankle Friday night, starting Rui and keeping Kispert on the bench, healing up for Tuesday.

It's a tough tough call b/c if they were to lose Friday, takes a lot of the glow of winning Tuesday out.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-30-2017, 04:41 AM
You hit a critical point that I'm sure they're going to take a hard look at.

Is Rui's play now solid enough that they're comfortable resting that ankle Friday night, starting Rui and keeping Kispert on the bench, healing up for Tuesday.

It's a tough tough call b/c if they were to lose Friday, takes a lot of the glow of winning Tuesday out.

Agreed, but if it had to be either or I’d take a win vs top 5 Villanova on the road at MSG (or equivalent for any Committee member paying attention) and the loss at home vs top 25 Creighton while missing a starter vs win over Creighton and loss to Villanova. Two wins gets Zags in or very near to Top 10.

Reborn
11-30-2017, 05:48 AM
Gosh. I really enjoyed the game last night. It was really fun to see our bench players play so well. I am really happy that Coach Few let them play so much. It was fun to see all the guys playing and a lot of our bench players getting a lot of minutes. I'm sure we all have followed these young Zags through the whole recruiting process and for most of the year after they signed. It was good to see Jesse Wade play a lot. There is a lot of talent in that young player that one day will be released. I also got to see two players who will be stars one day, and sooner than later I think. I'm talking about Rui and Norvell. Boy. They both were so entertaining last night. It WAS NICE to be able to just relax during the whole game and just enjoy the level of talent on this team.

I'm so glad to hear that Corey Kispert is going to be ok, and that most likely his injury won't keep him off the court for too long.

Omg I almost forgot Mr Larsen. He too will be a star one day. I enjoy watching him play too. He can really dominate inside against these weaker teams. IWU went wire to wire with Loyola Marrymount, and our bench was better than IWU. That says quite a bit about THIS Zag team.

Go Zags

Birddog
11-30-2017, 06:09 AM
Ya gotta love a guy named Simi Socks.

hooter73
11-30-2017, 07:33 AM
I'm guessing the staff has given Jesse direction offensively. He's playing very differently from how he did in high school. He was a Morrison type of always, always moving, and unafraid. Last night I was honestly getting frustrated watching him camp out on the arc or when he had the ball, give it up when you could literally see his first instinct was to create the shot. I thought his handling was actually better than Norvell's, decision making for passes at least too. Norvell is a great shooting guard, let Jesse handle and distribute imo.

Tillie is still a mystery to me. Dumb fouls or miss a little runner, then he'll just light you up when he seems to turn his mind off and just play. He is what we keep hearing "a year away" but man do I like watching him.

Was glad to see Larsen and Norvell get some extended play. Zac especially I thought looked like he was turning the corner of understanding where and how he fit into the game. Jacob needs to lock down those bunnies versus smaller teams. He had lots of misses at point blank tonight but to his credit got the offensive rebound and stuck with it each time. Bigs need game time to develop and I think Larsen is coming along nicely.

TexasZagFan
11-30-2017, 08:29 AM
Bigs need game time to develop and I think Larsen is coming along nicely.

Zach, Jeremy, Jesse, and Larsen need more minutes...they'll be needed to contribute in March. There should be plenty of opportunities, particularly in WCC play. Looks to me like Rui is earning more minutes. The other four listed received extended playing time last night, and they all played well, albeit against an overmatched opponent.

Next two games are huge. I expect the rotation will be reduced to 8, maybe 7, depending on potential foul trouble. UW & SDSU games loom large, too.

john montana
11-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Norvell looks light years ahead of Wade if you ask me. Pretty clearly he is the "3rd ballhandler" on this team behind Perk and Silas. I have been pretty underwhelmed thus far by Wade. Simply doesn't have the footspeed or length to give much defensively and his handle isn't strong enough (yet...might simply be a strength issue) to take care of the ball under duress. Obviously he can shoot it, but I haven't seen anything yet this season that makes me think he will play any meaningful minutes for us until next season. Maybe his shooting will get him on the floor more...he can stroke it.

LouisianaZag
11-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Ya gotta love a guy named Simi Socks.

Yes you do, Simi Socks, what a great name!

75Zag
11-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Am I the only GU fan / alumni who is embarrassed to have GU playing teams like Incarnate Word? Can't GU's Athletic Director find somebody (or anybody) - perhaps the South-by-Southeast Northern Mississippi Technical College - to play instead? Even if you ignore the religious mumbo-jumbo, this seems like a really, really bad idea.
Are there any alumni of the old Brewster Packing Company team who might be available next year? I will pay for the uniforms.

Go Bulldogs!

scott257
11-30-2017, 05:28 PM
Am I the only GU fan / alumni who is embarrassed to have GU playing teams like Incarnate Word? Can't GU's Athletic Director find somebody (or anybody) - perhaps the South-by-Southeast Northern Mississippi Technical College - to play instead? Even if you ignore the religious mumbo-jumbo, this seems like a really, really bad idea.
Are there any alumni of the old Brewster Packing Company team who might be available next year? I will pay for the uniforms.

Go Bulldogs!

I am right there with you. Embarrassing to play such a weak team, my wife’s secretary’s kid played for them not too far back and while I liked the kid, the team stunk and wasn’t worth watching then. Seeing them last night, they certainly haven’t improved much. Really sad to think LMU struggled against them so the only real takeaway from this game is that LMU is going to stink this year.

JPtheBeasta
11-30-2017, 05:37 PM
I didn’t notice any tape on Wade’s shoulder. That’s a good sign.

He showed some decent feel. The shots aren’t falling as much as I thought they might. I’m looking forward to seeing him play more.

sittingon50
11-30-2017, 07:30 PM
The Cardinals were missing two projected starter's to injury; 6'8" & 7'0. Have no idea about their skill level, but were obviously better than the 2 backups that did start.

How about a LITTLE compassion from the congregation?

Hoopaholic
11-30-2017, 07:33 PM
The Cardinals were missing two projected starter's to injury; 6'8" & 7'0. Have no idea about their skill level, but were obviously better than the 2 backups that did start.

How about a LITTLE compassion from the congregation?

Isn't it considered a sin to not fully utilize the gifs the good lord gives us? ( soft sarcastic humor)