PDA

View Full Version : Corey Kispert injury

Therunner
11-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Deserves its own thread for updates.

Goes without saying, Corey is incredibly important to our team's success this season. Our only 'glue guy'. A legit small fwd who can rebound, pass, shoot, and demand defensive attention all over the court. He consistently makes the extra pass, the tough play, and crashes the boards with the big guys, while playing ball with the small guys.

Unfortunately, Kispert hurt his knee at the end of the 1st half, jumped and landed awkwardly.

He walked to bench with a noticeable limp and wincing in pain.

Since then, he went the lockerroom, did not start 2nd half, and is no longer on the team bench. I find his absence of note.

I've said this team is 1 injury away from being woefully thin. BTW, Corey has logged the 3rd most minutes of any player on our team thus far (only behind Silas & Josh).

We are praying for you Corey :pray:.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-29-2017, 06:21 PM
The fact heís not even on the bench for 2nd half really worries me. If a minor injury isnít the norm for the player to just sit out the 2nd half and cheer on his teammates from the bench?

Goshzagit
11-29-2017, 06:24 PM
The fact he’s not even on the bench for 2nd half really worries me. If a minor injury isn’t the norm for the player to just sit out the 2nd half and cheer on his teammates?

this.

We've had guys over the years twist an ankle, tweak a knee, etc, yet they ALWAYS return to the bench and cheer on the team.

Definitely a concern.

Maybe training staff felt something with the knee test, or he's in more pain than we realize? Only time will tell....really a shame...

It was off a pointless alley oop pass attempt which was off the mark. Tried to adjust to the pass and seemed to tweaked something.

All signs at this moment don't look good...He is the PERFECT player to face Creighton and Villanova whom are both undersized compared to last season.

We need this kid healthy, playing, developing, and helping this team. I don't feel this unique squad can absorb losing ANY current starters to injury. All so important in so many ways, moreso individually than previous years, imo

DixieZag
11-29-2017, 06:41 PM
There is no way to read "not coming out" for the second half as positive in any way at all. I tried. Tried to make it about just starting the icing, wrap, etc. earlier b/c of a game in 48 hours, makes no sense.

Goshzagit
11-29-2017, 06:45 PM
There is no way to read "not coming out" for the second half as positive in any way at all. I tried. Tried to make it about just starting the icing, wrap, etc. earlier b/c of a game in 48 hours, makes no sense.

no beating around the bush about how awkward it appeared on TV. I cringed BEFORE Corey did. It just didn't look smooth or right at all. He appeared to stop, jump, and twist at the same time.

Don't want to fear the worst, but this isn't a good sign whatsoever.

If Corey goes down, I can only imagine if someone else did...this season goes from uphill promise, to unfair real quick.

Must be optimistic.

This season would certainly lose some luster if we lost Kispert. My favorite player right now.

Just didn't look good.

SWZag
11-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Looks like he just came back to the bench at 2:22 left.

zagfan24
11-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Back on bench...no L shoe and got up gingerly

Zagceo
11-29-2017, 06:48 PM
Back on bench...no L shoe and got up gingerly

Hudson/Morrison said looked like ankle

DixieZag
11-29-2017, 06:49 PM
no beating around the bush about how awkward it appeared on TV. I cringed BEFORE Corey did. It just didn't look smooth or right at all. He appeared to stop, jump, and twist at the same time.

Don't want to fear the worst, but this isn't a good sign whatsoever.

If Corey goes down, I can only imagine if someone else did...this season goes from uphill promise, to unfair real quick.

Must be optimistic.

This season would certainly lose some luster if we lost Kispert. My favorite player right now.

Just didn't look good.

I didn't see it and now have no intention of reviewing it. Just really hope for the kid. It's his and our worst nightmare, if it's a tear.

Malastein
11-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Hoping it’s not serious and they were just working on his knee in the trainer’s room. This injury could really affect the success of the season with so many unproven players. Rui looks like he could step in, but man the bench looks that much bleaker after...

bballbeachbum
11-29-2017, 06:52 PM
limping pretty clearly in the handshake line, pain

Zagceo
11-29-2017, 06:52 PM
Hoping it’s not serious and they were just working on his knee in the trainer’s room. This injury could really affect the success of the season with so many unproven players. Rui looks like he could step in, but man the bench looks that much bleaker after...

who said knee?

SWZag
11-29-2017, 06:53 PM
Kispert in the end-game huddle at center court. That's a good sign!

Baldwinzag
11-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Kispert's toughness alone would be a devastating loss.

He brings much needed grit, fluid play, and heart. A true glue-guy as a freshman big guard, wing, foward.

A do-it-all player we desperately need at his position. Confident, hard nosed, and makes the right play at the right time, and receives major mins as a result.

He's logged:

46 of 50 mins vs Florida. His 15 pts vs Gators were instrumental and came at the perfect time.

38 of 40 mins vs Texas.

Scored 10 pts in 18 mins vs Ohio St.

Then again, he brings so much more than points. He is one of the most trusted by the staff of any player not named Perkins.

Whether ankle or knee, most likely out vs Creighton, and maybe Villanova. Not sure we can pull it off without him.

So so important to this year's team.

Baldwinzag
11-29-2017, 06:58 PM
limping pretty clearly in the handshake line, pain

definitely in pain. Probably xrays and further imaging tomorrow.

I would guess doubtful, at best, vs Creighton.

Damn.

I'd argue only J3 and Perkins are more important on the court than Kispert. He is a big reason we are very fluid passing team. Runs through Kispert.

Zagceo
11-29-2017, 07:01 PM
I'm going with Morrison observation until more credible info.......ankle and didn't look that bad to him (Morrison)

bballbeachbum
11-29-2017, 07:04 PM
I'm going with Morrison observation until more credible info.......ankle and didn't look that bad to him (Morrison)

thanks for the word, hope that's it, no doubt he'd be missed

GU69
11-29-2017, 07:05 PM

Brian Michelson said Kispert rolled his ankle.

Zagceo
11-29-2017, 07:06 PM
thanks for the word, hope that's it, no doubt he'd be missed

Brian M just confirmed on radio....rolled it pretty good

bballbeachbum
11-29-2017, 07:06 PM

thanks again, damn

MDABE80
11-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Wrap it up and rub some dirt on it...........Corey's solution. Tough kid.....he'll be ready.

Radbooks
11-29-2017, 07:14 PM
From Twitter

Tony Black‏Verified account @KREMTony

Kispert says he came down wrong on his ankle on a lob in the first half. Says he expects to play Friday.

DixieZag
11-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Said it before, that can be anything from "stiff" in 48 hours to 6 months in a boot.

Most frustrating thing when I did it w/ 3rd degree was there was a negative feedback loop in recovery. It was always weaker and thus would tend to "roll" doing silling things, stepping off a curb weirdly is one I vividly remember.

He will have the best of the best advising him, hope he listens better than me.

Hoopaholic
11-29-2017, 07:16 PM

Couldn't be that bad no ice while on bench no elevation either

Some treatment and I wager he starts Friday

zagdontzig
11-29-2017, 07:16 PM
The kid thinks otherwise

https://twitter.com/srjimm/status/936085423264219136

Zagceo
11-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Couldn't be that bad no ice while on bench no elevation either

Some treatment and I wager he starts Friday

yep

zagdontzig
11-29-2017, 07:18 PM
https://twitter.com/srjimm/status/936085423264219136

sylean
11-29-2017, 07:23 PM
he's getting an mri.?..he's icing his knee down.?..he's doing stretching exercises.?..any number of reasons and the sooner the dx or treatment the better....

Baldwinzag
11-29-2017, 07:27 PM
On replay, it looked like he rolled it inward, rather than the classic sprain.

Not sure if this is good or bad.

Hope he's ready to go, yet given his response post-game, I'd say he's out for a game 48 hrs from now.

But here's to hoping (wishing, praying)!

Section 116
11-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Confirming what has already been posted. Michaelson said ankle on post game radio. Morrison said he'd been there done that. Could be ready by Friday or maybe not. Of course this was pre the Meehan tweet re Kispert. In any event Morrison felt Hachimura and/or Norvell would fill the slot more than adequately. Speaking of Norvell Hudson and Morrison noted Norvell got a quite a bit of time at the point this evening which Morrison felt was very important as the season moves along.

Zagceo
11-29-2017, 07:45 PM
CK had operation on right foot in Feb.....this is left ankle at least

LeightonZag
11-29-2017, 07:59 PM
According to Twitter, he's feeling fine and expects to play full speed on Friday.

Goshzagit
11-29-2017, 08:08 PM
According to Twitter, he's feeling fine and expects to play full speed on Friday.

Goes to show how tough he is...its evident with how he plays, what he says, and how he carries himself.

Tough kid.

Nothing will hold him back, so taking his hopeful words with a grain of salt.

He's so tough and spirited, he could be hurt, yet not letting himself even entertain the thought/idea.

We'll know more come Friday.

Hope he's good to go. Creighton is good.

ZagsObserver
11-29-2017, 08:18 PM
My guess it swells overnight. I wouldn’t bet on him playing Creighton, even if he feels ok now. Good that it’s the ankle and not the knee.

amaronizag
11-29-2017, 08:27 PM
Even if he says he's ready to go, only use him in an emergency Friday against Creighton, and rest him until Villanova on Tuesday. I think we handle Creighton without him, but need him Tuesday.

zagdontzig
11-29-2017, 08:56 PM
Even if he says he's ready to go, only use him in an emergency Friday against Creighton, and rest him until Villanova on Tuesday. I think we handle Creighton without him, but need him Tuesday.

Don't sleep on Creighton though. They got ranked to old fashioned way.

JPtheBeasta
11-29-2017, 08:57 PM
If the ankle is structurally sound on physical exam and imaging, and he is able to jump and cut on the ankle, he should be totally fine to play. Assuming everything is structurally sound, the ability to play would be based on Kispert's subjective stability and pain level.

Sprained ankles are more prone to future sprains, but that would be the case a year from now, too (and then some). A metanalysis on Pubmed1 concluded the following: After 1 year of follow-up, a high percentage of patients still experienced pain and subjective instability, while within a period of 3 years, as much as 34% of the patients reported at least 1 re-sprain. From 36% up to 85% of the patients reported full recovery within a period of 3 years.

In other words, if you want to make sure he's healthy, you might have to sit him out until he's a senior.

-----

1What is the clinical course of acute ankle sprains? A systematic literature review. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18374692

Hoopaholic
11-29-2017, 09:01 PM
If the ankle is structurally sound on physical exam and imaging, and he is able to jump and cut on the ankle, he should be totally fine to play. Assuming everything is structurally sound, the ability to play would be based on Kispert's subjective stability and pain level.

Sprained ankles are more prone to future sprains, but that would be the case a year from now, too (and then some). A metanalysis on Pubmed1 concluded the following: After 1 year of follow-up, a high percentage of patients still experienced pain and subjective instability, while within a period of 3 years, as much as 34% of the patients reported at least 1 re-sprain. From 36% up to 85% of the patients reported full recovery within a period of 3 years.

In other words, if you want to make sure he's healthy, you might have to sit him out until he's a senior.

-----

1What is the clinical course of acute ankle sprains? A systematic literature review. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18374692

What's it say about pain and instability 40 years later......;)

bartruff1
11-29-2017, 11:58 PM
Norvell and Rui appear ready ....

CDC84
11-30-2017, 01:26 AM
It sucks to be in these situations, but let's be honest. It's going to be harder to beat Nova at MSG than it will be to beat Creighton at K2. That's not to say that beating Creighton at K2 won't be challenging.....with or without Corey.

But if GU beats Nova, that will be one of the top 3-4 non-con wins that any team gets. And I don't know if GU can beat Nova without Corey.

Zagger
11-30-2017, 03:55 AM
It sucks to be in these situations, but let's be honest. It's going to be harder to beat Nova at MSG than it will be to beat Creighton at K2. That's not to say that beating Creighton at K2 won't be challenging.....with or without Corey.

But if GU beats Nova, that will be one of the top 3-4 non-con wins that any team gets. And I don't know if GU can beat Nova without Corey.

First, I'm betting Cory plays Friday & Tuesday and does OK. Second, the Zags are improving quite quickly and playing with a lot of confidence. I really liked what I saw last night with Norvell, Hachimura, Wade and Larsen - those 4 are looking more and more comfy on the floor with each game. I don't mean to at all belittle Cory's value to the team but I think we'll do OK with either Rui or Zach taking up some of Cory's time - even against Villanova. I'd like to not see Cory taking chances on further injuring his ankle by putting in too much time on Friday. Cory is one driven player and I figure he might re-injure his foot via his customary 110% drive/efforts.

DixieZag
11-30-2017, 04:44 AM

-----

Thank you for laying out the medical reality underneath my personal experience.

Mine was far worse than Kispert's, but I can easily see how everything above is absolutely true, even if he says he's fine and plays.

Zaga
11-30-2017, 05:56 AM

Love the humor play. Slip on a Mueller ATF 2 ankle brace and get back in the game CK!

Reborn
11-30-2017, 06:16 AM
I'm not sure whether Kispert will play or not play against Creighton and Villanova. But I agree with what one of our posters said about what Adam Morrison said, that he thinks Kispert could play, but if he doesn't that the Zags will be fine with Rui and Norvell filling in for him. If Kispert can't play I think that Norvell would play the 2 and Melson would move over to the 3. Melson often played the 3 last year and played great. I think Rui is certainly improving a lot, and I think he's ready to take on more minutes at the 3. I was impressed with Norvell last night but still have reservations about saying he's ready to contribute against teams like Creighton and Villanove. I think he would play well at home in K2 because he's comfortable there. However, playing in Madison Garden is quite different. My guess would be that Jones will play more than Norvell in Madison Square Garden.

willandi
11-30-2017, 07:24 AM
I'm not sure whether Kispert will play or not play against Creighton and Villanova. But I agree with what one of our posters said about what Adam Morrison said, that he thinks Kispert could play, but if he doesn't that the Zags will be fine with Rui and Norvell filling in for him. If Kispert can't play I think that Norvell would play the 2 and Melson would move over to the 3. Melson often played the 3 last year and played great. I think Rui is certainly improving a lot, and I think he's ready to take on more minutes at the 3. I was impressed with Norvell last night but still have reservations about saying he's ready to contribute against teams like Creighton and Villanove. I think he would play well at home in K2 because he's comfortable there. However, playing in Madison Garden is quite different. My guess would be that Jones will play more than Norvell in Madison Square Garden.

I think they leave Melson at the 2 and put Rui in if CK can't go Friday.

I see Perks, Melson and Norvell Jr at the 2 guard spots, Tillie, J3 and Larsen at the two Big spots and CK, Rui and JJ primarliy ate the 3 but able to slide into the 4 for some sets (and short time at the 2).

CDC84
11-30-2017, 07:28 AM
I think some announcer is going to call him Krispert by mistake. A lot easier mistake to make than calling Pargo "Prego."

Zagceo
11-30-2017, 07:45 AM
How many noticed this? he's got two bad ankles

Corey audio interview first top left.....LINK (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/nov/29/tv-take-attendance-injuries-the-major-talking-poin/#/0)

It started Friday when he rolled his right ankle against Florida in the PK80 in Portland.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/nov/29/gonzagas-kispert-leaves-incarnate-word-game-with-l/

bballbeachbum
11-30-2017, 07:54 AM

it says to see what my ankles are lol

thespywhozaggedme
11-30-2017, 08:07 AM

See this is where I think the CK hype may be a little much. I love his passion, heart and talent, but he has been utterly atrocious on defense and his 3 point shooting hasn't been anywhere close to what it was hyped to be. Again, I flat out love the guy, but he has his flaws too. ZN and Rui will be more than capable of picking up the slack.

webspinnre
11-30-2017, 08:25 AM
See this is where I think the CK hype may be a little much. I love his passion, heart and talent, but he has been utterly atrocious on defense and his 3 point shooting hasn't been anywhere close to what it was hyped to be. Again, I flat out love the guy, but he has his flaws too. ZN and Rui will be more than capable of picking up the slack.

Utterly atrocious on defense? Really? Looks more like he makes typical freshman mistake to me.

ZagsObserver
11-30-2017, 08:31 AM
The team has three vitally important players in jwil3, Perkins and Tillie. After that, we have important spokes in the wheel. Several players have the opportunity to get to the next level but aren’t quite there.

bballbeachbum
11-30-2017, 08:37 AM
would add Silas to the vitally important

zagdontzig
11-30-2017, 08:48 AM

The most polarizing figure on the roster. But yes, I am in your camp; we need him.

gonstu
11-30-2017, 08:48 AM

agree!

thespywhozaggedme
11-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Utterly atrocious on defense? Really? Looks more like he makes typical freshman mistake to me.

Yes, really. I flat out love the guy and think he's gonna go down as one of the greats. But he's terrible on defense. And its ok to acknowledge that.

ldszagfan
11-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Yes, really. I flat out love the guy and think he's gonna go down as one of the greats. But he's terrible on defense. And its ok to acknowledge that.

"Terrible" is pretty extreme, almost alarmist. Kispert played good defense against Florida's Egor Koulechov. Held him to well below his season average. Kispert may have made a few blatant (and costly) defensive mistakes, but he's not defensively inept.

webspinnre
11-30-2017, 11:23 AM
"Terrible" is pretty extreme, almost alarmist. Kispert played good defense against Florida's Egor Koulechov. Held him to well below his season average. Kispert may have made a few blatant (and costly) defensive mistakes, but he's not defensively inept.

This has been my impression as well.

Bogozags
11-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Just to add something to this thread...

Psst - keep this on the down-low but it is my understanding Cory starts for GU but he isn't 18, rather he has had plastic surgery to make him look 18, while in fact he is 32! Still, I refuse to turn him in to the NCAA for this blatant oversight...this is actually worse than UL, USC, UA and AU's involvement with paying players...

cggonzaga
11-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Average at worst.

LongIslandZagFan
11-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Thank you for laying out the medical reality underneath my personal experience.

Mine was far worse than Kispert's, but I can easily see how everything above is absolutely true, even if he says he's fine and plays.

I rolled my ankle pretty seriously about 3 years ago. It took 1.5 years before it felt fully stable... about another year where I didn't have some occasional pain.

titopoet
11-30-2017, 01:15 PM
The team has three vitally important players in jwil3, Perkins and Tillie. After that, we have important spokes in the wheel. Several players have the opportunity to get to the next level but arenít quite there.

I would add Silias to that list. The core four from last years team. Silas ias added for his D, experience, and grit. I think Crieghton being a run and gun team, Rui would be a better fit in that game than Cory (even healthy) as good as Rui is in the open court,

titopoet
11-30-2017, 01:20 PM

It was mostly Tillie that was on Koulechov. Cory is still learning to play D at this level (he will get there) like knowing how to use his hip to direct his defender not over rotating and leaving his man. He is not terrible (no one on the Zags is "terrible" but all three of Rui, Cory and Norvell are learning that part of the game at this level)

CDC84
11-30-2017, 02:35 PM
Jim Meehan said that Kispert holding Florida's Egor Koulechov to 1-9 shooting was one of the keys to the game that allowed Gonzaga to have a chance to win it. Igor had been on a tear going into that game. I wouldn't call his defense as being terrible. It's just typical of a freshman. Up and down. At least he tries hard. Most freshmen don't know much about defense because they are told by their high school coaches to avoid fouls at all costs.

The guy who is very deficient on defense right now (it was also a weak spot with him in HS) is Norvell. Any time Few talks about Zach, he talks about his defense and his need to step it up if he wants to see consistent minutes.

75Zag
11-30-2017, 05:04 PM
Sorry for skipping the first 63 posts on this thread, but is there any verified news regarding Kispert's status? The NFL is not my favorite sport, but at least their rules require teams to give injury / status reports on affected players to the media prior to each game. If I am going to be betting my 90 year-old mother's remaining retirement savings on the outcome of the next GU game, I would like to have the latest information available.

Go Bulldogs!

JPtheBeasta
11-30-2017, 05:13 PM

:)

I think you are supposed to tough it out until everything else hurts equally as bad.

bartruff1
11-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Sorry for skipping the first 63 posts on this thread, but is there any verified news regarding Kispert's status? The NFL is not my favorite sport, but at least their rules require teams to give injury / status reports on affected players to the media prior to each game. If I am going to be betting my 90 year-old mother's remaining retirement savings on the outcome of the next GU game, I would like to have the latest information available.

Go Bulldogs!

Nothing official on Cory, but the Zags are favored by 7 and Grant Gibbs is not expected to play for Creighton ....

All Weather Fan
11-30-2017, 05:40 PM
OMG ! If Grant Gibbs is injured Creighton will surely petition NCAA for yet another year of eligibility.
He's had a nice long career there ! :jk:

sittingon50
11-30-2017, 07:35 PM
I'm drawin' the line with you knuckleheads!!! Grant Gibbs was one of my favorites!

JPtheBeasta
11-30-2017, 08:13 PM
Nothing official on Cory, but the Zags are favored by 7 and Grant Gibbs is not expected to play for Creighton ....

good one :]

GrizZAG
11-30-2017, 08:16 PM
I rolled an ankle a couple of times in Tennis matches. I Kept playing and it worked itself out both times quickly and didn't amount to much although hurt like the devil at the time. I didn't miss a beat. Hoping that is CK's experience as well.

MDABE80
11-30-2017, 10:19 PM
It depends on the severity of the damage. Nobody will release that appraisal. Can't do that. Don't expect anything. The Law you know...
If Corey want's to speak up, fine. He won't.

Bogozags
12-01-2017, 04:55 AM
I'm drawin' the line with you knuckleheads!!! Grant Gibbs was one of my favorites!

I'm with you...I loved to watch him play and also believe if he hadn't gotten hurt, he would have had a positive impact playing for GU...

Enjoyed watching him and McDermott play...

kitzbuel
12-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Go Bulldogs!NFL, the players are employees and injuries affecting employment can be part of employment record.

Not so for student athletes.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

CDC84
12-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if a decision is not made until just before the opening tip :)

Markburn1
12-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if a decision is not made until just before the opening tip :)

Steve Kerr was pretty candid when asked the question about injuries and whether a player would go or not. He said the "game time decision" was mostly BS to appease the reporters. Coaches and trainers are pretty much sure if a player will be able to go long before tipoff. More often than not, the decision is made the day before or very early on game day.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-01-2017, 11:59 AM
If Kispert doesn’t play I really, really hope Rui gets the start at the 3. Creighton starts 3 guards so Rui will be a matchup nightmare for them. Creighton’s first big off the bench is 6’10”, 250 lbs... let Larsen bang w him.

CDC84
12-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Steve Kerr was pretty candid when asked the question about injuries and whether a player would go or not. He said the "game time decision" was mostly BS to appease the reporters. Coaches and trainers are pretty much sure if a player will be able to go long before tipoff. More often than not, the decision is made the day before or very early on game day.

Yeah, but most coaches are not Steve Kerr. Kerr has been able to sit Curry and Durant or Green and Durant and still beat NBA teams. He has the talent to afford to be able to get away with that.

Most coaches want to foul up the other team....to force them to have two different scouting reports for as long as possible. One for if the player plays, one for if he doesn't play. Just keep 'em guessing. I am sure Gonzaga knows right now whether Corey is going to play or not, but they are not going to tell Creighton. Anything to get an edge......whether it is really an edge or not.

Bogozags
12-01-2017, 02:53 PM
If Kispert doesn’t play I really, really hope Rui gets the start at the 3. Creighton starts 3 guards so Rui will be a matchup nightmare for them. Creighton’s first big off the bench is 6’10”, 250 lbs... let Larsen bang w him.

Flex
I think Rui has made remarkable progress and yes he would be a match-up nightmare for them but I also think those guards would be a tough match-up for Rui...not sure he has the lateral quickness at this point in time BUT if he does start, we will find out PDQ...

ZagsGoZags
12-01-2017, 03:31 PM
The team has three vitally important players in jwil3, Perkins and Tillie. After that, we have important spokes in the wheel. Several players have the opportunity to get to the next level but arenít quite there.

my take is four vitally important players: JW3, Perkins, Tillie and Cory. I am forced to put Melson in the next group, because he is not an elite shooter, passer, small turnover, or take it to the basket guy. He has improved vastly on the last three items since being at GU, to his credit.

His defense is the one argument that could challenge my view.

cggonzaga
12-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Flex
I think Rui has made remarkable progress and yes he would be a match-up nightmare for them but I also think those guards would be a tough match-up for Rui...not sure he has the lateral quickness at this point in time BUT if he does start, we will find out PDQ...

Pretty sure we play a lot of zone no matter who starts.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Flex

Very true...extended zone maybe? Very excited for this game.

DixieZag
12-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Flex

Really good post, Bogo.

Yeah, originally I was heartened knowing that Rui is coming on so strong, thinking that maybe he might explode and be an advantage. Defense is a question with Rui. Though, people have questioned Kispert's defense. I don't know if his defense is good/bad, haven't watched him in iso that much.

Zagdawg
12-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Agree-- don't want to get Rui a couple of quick fouls trying to stay in front of a smaller guy -- we lose his offense when he is riding the pine with foul issues.

Airball
12-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Kispert in street clothes and walking boot.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Kispert in street clothes and walking boot.

Wow....really really hope he can be ready for Villanova in MSG because 1) good for the team; 2) chance of a lifetime to play there.

Goshzagit
12-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Hurts.

Kispert makes such a difference running our offense.

Always in the perfect spot, right pass, smart shot, good spacing, etc.

Norvell and Rui one on one and dumb shot selection.

Our offensive rhythm suffers a bit

Hoopaholic
12-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Hurts.

Kispert makes such a difference running our offense.

Always in the perfect spot, right pass, smart shot, good spacing, etc.

Norvell and Rui one on one and dumb shot selection.

Our offensive rhythm suffers a bit

Hmmmmm

soccerdud
12-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Hmmmmm

well, he appeared to be correct as of halftime...

Zag_Dad
12-01-2017, 08:34 PM
I hope he’s available on Tuesday but we learned tonight that the team can adjust to his absence. Would prefer that he’s available but after what I saw tonight .... I think we’ll compete even if he’s unavailable

Hoopaholic
12-01-2017, 08:36 PM
well, he appeared to be correct as of halftime...

We scored 37 not exactly sputtering and was first time we saw doubles all way out to three line. Adjustment at half

Didn't see any one on one nor dumb shots ( missed shots but within context of offense)

bballbeachbum
12-01-2017, 08:41 PM
We scored 37 not exactly sputtering and was first time we saw doubles all way out to three line. Adjustment at half

Didn't see any one on one nor dumb shots ( missed shots but within context of offense)

on some of those doubles, the pony tailed guy would be top of the key and once the ball moved to the wing, he would fly over to double. they also doubled the dribble off the screen/roll...they had some looks defensively that were tough. also looked like they committed the weak side wing defender deep into the paint to muddle cuts and allow the opposite corner, which the Zags exploited poorly first half, beautifully 2nd half imo

Mantua
12-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Yeah, but most coaches are not Steve Kerr. Kerr has been able to sit Curry and Durant or Green and Durant and still beat NBA teams. He has the talent to afford to be able to get away with that.

Most coaches want to foul up the other team....to force them to have two different scouting reports for as long as possible. One for if the player plays, one for if he doesn't play. Just keep 'em guessing. I am sure Gonzaga knows right now whether Corey is going to play or not, but they are not going to tell Creighton. Anything to get an edge......whether it is really an edge or not.

The Warriors lost to the Kings this week while resting Steph and KD and when everyone who rested was finally back they were a little out of sync and almost lost to the Lakers.

Zagger
12-02-2017, 04:06 AM
Wow....really really hope he can be ready for Villanova in MSG because 1) good for the team; 2) chance of a lifetime to play there.

Yeah, we did pretty well without Cory last night but it can't hurt to have all hands on deck @ MSG. I tried to get the Mrs. to go to NYC for the game but we're just too dang busy + had other travels already this year. Would be sweet to see the Zags in MSG .... someday! Although .... we surely didn't do the Cougs any good going to this year's Apple Cup! ;)

jazzdelmar
12-02-2017, 05:05 AM
That walking boot was unsettling to see......

zag67
12-02-2017, 05:23 AM
Many of us have to keep remembering that Rui and Norvell both did not play last year. Yes they are out of position many times but they seem to be working on getting better. All of them are looking better and better. I was happy to see Norvell keep shooting when he was missing those open shots. That shows he is trusted by the coaches and he is a player that knows how to help the team. Rui did not score but he did many other things to help us win. Yes we will have downers, but this team is going to be fun to watch.

Zaga
12-02-2017, 05:39 AM
Kudos to Snacks for stepping up in the 2nd half. Great to see the confidence in his play when we really needed it. Nova will try the same on JP so we will need Silas to continue his stellar play to keep it close. Impressed with Few's confidence in the bench to get them in the rotation early. JJ, Jacob played important minutes IMO. Tillie...Tillie

Go Zags....Beat Nova!

raise the zag
12-02-2017, 06:29 AM
Kispert is awesome. Maybe the smartest player on the team in a half court set, yet his injury could have been a blessing in disguise.

We needed Norvell's 20 2nd half points and to get his confidence rolling.

As good as Kispert is, he can't score 20+ pts in a single half. Because he is almost too unselfish at times and we needed a transition game and to defend smaller, strong guards down the stretch.

Basically, Norvell was the perfect dribble drive threat we NEEDED vs Creightons extended man double defense.

Funny how we keep saying we have no depth when Rui, Norvell have won games for us and been leading scorer, etc.

Both Norvell and Tillie are decision players. They chose how much intensity they bring, because when they fly around, they are good. Like next level good. Wish they did it every game.

Hope they both "bring it" in New York.

Kinda got to light a fire under both of them.

ZagMan in Philly
12-02-2017, 06:50 AM

Yes, but it gives ZN and Rui a chance to shine. And they are.
Any good suggestions for a good NYC deli around Manhattan Jazz?
Beat Nova!

TravelinZag
12-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Cory’s injury is forcing development minutes from other players, as demonstrated last night. Want Cory back badly, but not a minute before he is 100%. Ankle injuries have a way of recurring, and it’s a long season.

Go Zags!

jazzdelmar
12-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Yes, but it gives ZN and Rui a chance to shine. And they are.
Any good suggestions for a good NYC deli around Manhattan Jazz?
Beat Nova!

Theyre all good, Phil. If u want a great local Italian joint near the Garden, check out Bella Napoli....Madison and the low 30s.

Dont be turned away by the decor...food is great and plentiful.........more adventurous, try Eatalys

http://www.bellanapoli.com/

https://www.eataly.com/

Great deli also is Sarge's

http://www.sargesdeli.com/

Or Blooms

http://www.bloomsnewyorkdeli.com/Welcome.tpl?action=nc&from=Top133&thisurl=/Welcome.tpl

TacomaZAG
12-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Not to rain on the "group hug", but last night I was talking to my brother who follows HS B-Ball in the NW and he told me that Kispert missed most or all of his HS senior year with an ankle injury, to the same ankle that is currently in the boot.

Is that true?? If so, it may mean this is potentially a lot more serious than initially thought.

Hoping for a quick return for Corey as he is an integral part of the team this year, and for years to come.

Go ZAGS

soccerdud
12-02-2017, 09:41 AM
Not to rain on the "group hug", but last night I was talking to my brother who follows HS B-Ball in the NW and he told me that Kispert missed most or all of his HS senior year with an ankle injury, to the same ankle that is currently in the boot.

Is that true?? If so, it may mean this is potentially a lot more serious than initially thought.

Hoping for a quick return for Corey as he is an integral part of the team this year, and for years to come.

Go ZAGS

not quite. was a fractured foot.

TacomaZAG
12-02-2017, 09:46 AM
not quite. was a fractured foot.

Thanks for the clarification. Same foot that is in the boot??

Go ZAGS

DixieZag
12-02-2017, 09:51 AM

Yes.

I understand why the team is quiet about the whole thing, why tell Nova what to prepare for?

But, looking at our schedule, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them keep Corey out and give him another 5 days rest before the UW on Sunday next week.

Ankle injuries are 10x as frustrating as knee or hand. They just keep re-injuring themselves, so it seems.

tinfoilzag
12-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Same foot that is in the boot??

Go ZAGS

I think they said it was the other foot that was injured in HS during the IWU game.

Zagdawg
12-02-2017, 10:47 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/02/gonzaga-wing-corey-kispert-close-to-returning/

Zag365
12-02-2017, 10:53 AM
But, looking at our schedule, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them keep Corey out and give him another 5 days rest before the UW on Sunday next week.

Agree. Given the balanced attack we showed against CU with CK out of the line-up, I'm not sure there's any need to push him to play in the 'Nova game. Would like to see him get as much recovery time as possible. It would be shame if he weren't able to play in his first game back to Seattle - both for him, the team, and the program.

Zag_Dad
12-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Has there been any word on Kispert's availability tonight? Hoping he plays but obviously his long term availability would be more important.

GO ZAGS!

ZagOD7540
12-05-2017, 07:07 AM
Has there been any word on Kispert's availability tonight? Hoping he plays but obviously his long term availability would be more important.

GO ZAGS!

If you look at the pictures posted on twitter, it looks like he is still in the boot...ugh

NovaScotiaZagFan
12-05-2017, 07:09 AM
If you look at the pictures posted on twitter, it looks like he is still in the boot...ugh

Ya just saw the same!

https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/937924775606931457

Zagricultural
12-05-2017, 07:14 AM
Ya just saw the same!

https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/937924775606931457

I'm not seeing a boot in those pictures...?

strikenowhere
12-05-2017, 07:20 AM
I'm not seeing a boot in those pictures...?

Group pic on the right hand side of the photo - look at Kispert's left leg.

Zag_Dad
12-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Group pic on the right hand side of the photo - look at Kispert's left leg.

Bummer... It too the first half against Creighton for team to adjust to playing without Kispert and for Norvell to find his rhythm, but I'd still prefer that Kispert were available.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Bummer... It too the first half against Creighton for team to adjust to playing without Kispert and for Norvell to find his rhythm, but I'd still prefer that Kispert were available.

Norvell bringing some well earned confidence and Chicago toughness into MSG for the Zags tonight. I think he’ll rise to the occasion while CK gets right for a return vs UW in his hometown next week.

strikenowhere
12-05-2017, 08:05 AM
Maybe the boot was just a precaution while walking around the city?

willandi
12-05-2017, 08:07 AM

He isn't from the Canadian pipeline, so it isn't aboot time!

Bogozags
12-05-2017, 08:20 AM

Some people will try/do anything to get laugh...
(Cute!)

strikenowhere
12-05-2017, 08:25 AM

:roll:

ZagOD7540
12-05-2017, 08:32 AM

I was hoping the same, too.

gozagswoohoo
12-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Will someone just text Coach Few already and get it over with? I need to know Kispert's status.

gozagswoohoo
12-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Hey guys, I think he's basically saying it will be a gametime decision.

https://i.imgur.com/KBV5x0j.png

DixieZag
12-05-2017, 09:47 AM
http://www.omahapoa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Cruiser-2.jpg

zaguarxj
12-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Francis is having a bad influence on WooHoo.

TexasZagFan
12-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Does woohoo live in Indiana? Sure hope not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNM5g2ARGyY

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Hey guys, I think he's basically saying it will be a gametime decision.

https://i.imgur.com/KBV5x0j.png

Post of the year!

thebigsmoove
12-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Thanks for taking one for the team Nathan. Good luck in your pretrial, im sure we can call pitch in to get you something slightly better than a public defender.

Zagdawg
12-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account
@JonRothstein
1h1 hour ago
More
Gonzaga's Corey Kispert (ankle) went through shoot around, but did not move well, per Mark Few. Status for tonight against Villanova will be determined in warmups.

DixieZag
12-05-2017, 11:55 AM
I think it's safe to assume he's not going to be playing tonight.

Poor kid. Probably looked forward to playing in this game for nearly a full year.

gozagswoohoo
12-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Thanks for taking one for the team Nathan. Good luck in your pretrial, im sure we can call pitch in to get you something slightly better than a public defender.

:cheers:

Billfish'80
12-05-2017, 12:18 PM
So does this imply that, since a public defender will cost Woohoo $0, that we will be able to rent him a "better" lawyer for the $10 we have, so far, collected for his defense? Glad to hear it. "We've got your back Wooho!"

kitzbuel
12-05-2017, 12:25 PM
So does this imply that, since a public defender will cost Woohoo $0, that we will be able to rent him a "better" lawyer for the $10 we have, so far, collected for his defense? Glad to hear it. "We've got your back Wooho!"

I would think that with all the arm chair coaching experts around here there have to be some equally qualified arm chair attorneys. We should be able to get him out in a flash.

gozagswoohoo
12-05-2017, 12:25 PM

Paging Angelo Roncalli.

How much would you charge for your services? I think we have a very strong case here.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Iím pretty sure one of regular posters used to be a water rights lawyer. Them guysíre tough.

http://duckboy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/540x360/521038d3e98391b49ed35b0dcfe49472/w/a/water_rights.jpg

http://duckboy.com/postcards/discussing-water-rights-a-western-pastime.html

Bogozags
12-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account
@JonRothstein
1h1 hour ago
More
Gonzaga's Corey Kispert (ankle) went through shoot around, but did not move well, per Mark Few. Status for tonight against Villanova will be determined in warmups.

Winning is everything...give him a shot of a pain-killer, put some tape around his ankle and push him on to the court...real men suck it up and go...we fans need this win...

and then maybe not...stay away and fight another day might well be the best course of action!!!

ZagMan in Philly
12-05-2017, 02:47 PM
watching him warming up and moving around good...looks great.

Rangerzag
12-05-2017, 02:48 PM
Huddy and Mo say Cory is warming up and will give it a try.

Section 116
12-05-2017, 02:48 PM
Hudson and Santangelo both noted in the pregame radio show Kispert is currently on the floor warming up and they do expect him to play tonight. Not sure if he will start but they expect him to play. Morrison said he appears to moving pretty well and not favoring the ankle. He also said if he needed a shot of adrenaline to make it through the game tonight's opponent should supply that.

bballbeachbum
12-05-2017, 02:51 PM
awesome, thanks for the updates!

ZagMan in Philly
12-05-2017, 02:59 PM
think krispert is starting

CarolinaZagFan
12-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Sure could use Kispert out there!

Birddog
12-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Sure could use Kispert out there!

Not if he is at all slow or hobbled IMO. A healthy Kispert, yeah, you're right.

CDC84
12-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Corey wouldn't have won the game tonight, but Gonzaga just doesn't have the depth to be able to withstand his absence. He's simply a better all around player than anyone coming off the pine. GU needs all hands on deck.

btzag
12-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Really sad that he gets hurt against Incarnate Word and misses Creighton AND Villanova. Thin team and tonight was a great example of depth being tested.

sittingon50
12-05-2017, 07:05 PM
Should be good to go in his home town on Sunday.

wiszag
12-06-2017, 03:09 PM
I was sitting pretty close to him and he was moving well in warmups but I got the feeling that it tightened up while he was sitting in the first half.

I thought Norvell played pretty well, as did Larson.

The kids will be alright.

72Prep
12-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Should be good to go in his home town on Sunday.

With all due respect, CK is from Edmonds, Snohomish Co. Me too. We are not Seattlites.

Go Zags!

sittingon50
12-06-2017, 08:32 PM
With all due respect, CK is from Edmonds, Snohomish Co. Me too. We are not Seattlites.

Go Zags!

Sorry 72. Having never lived on the West side, I'm afraid that "Seattle" to me is quite a large area.

willandi
12-06-2017, 08:42 PM
Sorry 72. Having never lived on the West side, I'm afraid that "Seattle" to me is quite a large area.

I lived on the West Side briefly, but never went past Airway Heights. Is there something beyond that?

sittingon50
12-06-2017, 09:08 PM
I lived on the West Side briefly, but never went past Airway Heights. Is there something beyond that?

Moses Lake, presumptive capital of the Evergreen State.

willandi
12-07-2017, 05:48 AM
Moses Lake, presumptive capital of the Evergreen State.

Ah, yes. The Far West!

willandi
12-07-2017, 05:53 AM
The story goes that during the Spokane Firestorm of 1991, an aide to the Governor ran in and declared "The East side is on fire! It's all burning up!"

To which the Governor responded "Bellevue is on fire"?

Bogozags
12-07-2017, 06:12 AM
The story goes that during the Spokane Firestorm of 1991, an aide to the Governor ran in and declared "The East side is on fire! It's all burning up!"

To which the Governor responded "Bellevue is on fire"?

:roll: