PDA

View Full Version : Shot location chart

LTownZag
11-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Is there any website that shows where on the floor a player's shots (makes and misses) have come from?

Perkins seems to me like he's shooting about 75% from three when he's on the center or right side of the arc.

I wonder if it's observation bias or reality.

zagdontzig
11-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Is there any website that shows where on the floor a player's shots (makes and misses) have come from?

Perkins seems to me like he's shooting about 75% from three when he's on the center or right side of the arc.

I wonder if it's observation bias or reality.

I know espn does for games. May try playing with some of the functions to see if it can be mined out for players

MDABE80
11-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Zagdont I think the ESPN graphic is for the whole team.........I've tried to split out individual players but no luck. It's got to be somewhere.....maybe Reno knows of such a place.....or ZN. I'd like to see it if such a depiction is available.

LTownZag
11-28-2017, 09:49 PM
I figured out how to use the ESPN chart for each game, which can then be filtered by player. Since there have only been 6 games, I just aded them up.

The first 3 games that we played don't have any shot charts.

The last 3 games (PK80 against tougher teams)

Josh was 11 of 12 from the top or right side of the arc. That's amazing!

Josh was 3/12 from the left side.

zagdontzig
11-28-2017, 10:08 PM
Zagdont I think the ESPN graphic is for the whole team.........I've tried to split out individual players but no luck. It's got to be somewhere.....maybe Reno knows of such a place.....or ZN. I'd like to see it if such a depiction is available.

I figured out how to use the ESPN chart for each game, which can then be filtered by player. Since there have only been 6 games, I just aded them up.

The first 3 games that we played don't have any shot charts.

The last 3 games (PK80 against tougher teams)

Josh was 11 of 12 from the top or right side of the arc. That's amazing!

Josh was 3/12 from the left side.

Nice work y'all!!! And yields compelling information too...

Zagceo
11-28-2017, 10:34 PM
On ESPN ....go to Gonzaga ....click on any game played..click play by play...pull down menu with players right side of shot chart

charts donít exist for first 3 games....

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-29-2017, 02:40 AM
Nice work y'all!!! And yields compelling information too...

Yeah but in the interest of not helping our opponents with their scouting reports maybe mods should delete LTownZags post :-)

DixieZag
11-29-2017, 04:11 AM
Yeah but in the interest of not helping our opponents with their scouting reports maybe mods should delete LTownZags post :-)

Do that right after he forwards it to the staff, just in case their chart person hasn't had time to put it all together. Be sure to have it there by Friday night.

And tell JP to shoot only from the left side versus IW.

LTownZag - That might be one of the most outstanding "casual observations" I've ever read on this board in 10 years.

WallaWallaZag
11-29-2017, 05:22 AM
Do that right after he forwards it to the staff, just in case their chart person hasn't had time to put it all together. Be sure to have it there by Friday night.
LTownZag - That might be one of the most outstanding "casual observations" I've ever read on this board in 10 years.

save it for creighton...just noticed that josh is shooting 22.7% from inside the arc so far this year...i knew it wasn't good, but that really needs to improve or he's going to have fewer and fewer looks at threes.

kitzbuel
11-29-2017, 05:41 AM

I am pretty certain that, given this staff's reliance on data analytics, thanks to Dr. Jerry Krause, they are already aware of all this (as well as our opponents). The staff gets detailed sports analytics products. Don't know if you all remember this article:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jan/22/gonzaga-joins-expanding-analytics-trend/