PDA

View Full Version : We got any ballers in here?

gozagswoohoo
11-28-2017, 12:25 PM
So I know that about 75% of posters feel that they know more about basketball/recruiting than our coaching staff (LOLZ), but I have a serious question for you.

Back in your PRIME, do you think you could have ever played for/walked-on at Gonzaga? (I know we have at least 1 former zag on here, hi Reborn). How bout the rest of us?

gozagswoohoo
11-28-2017, 12:26 PM
So I know that about 75% of posters feel that they know more about basketball/recruiting than our coaching staff (LOLZ), but I have a serious question for you.

Back in your PRIME, do you think you could have ever played for/walked-on at Gonzaga? (I know we have at least 1 former zag on here, hi Reborn). How bout the rest of us?

I'll go first and answer the question about myself.

No.

bartruff1
11-28-2017, 12:27 PM
:roll:.......my HS graduating class had 14 so everyone that wanted to play played .....well.... after high school we used to play pick up games at the Y during the winter...Reborn might remember the McDonald boys.... our shooting guard was a kid named Ron Santo who I understand played some third base during the summer...Gonzaga,..... no way but my roommate played....I played intermural at Gonzaga....too short....too young....too small....too slow....

I am one of the 25% that think the coaches know what they are doing...

gonzagafan62
11-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Nope. I walked on to my 8th grade basketball team and got cut

zagnut2012
11-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Only in my dreams........:pray:...........Played for a High School with a Senior class of 26 (yes 26 in the graduating class) We were good though. Lost the A-4 Idaho State Championship by 3 points. The Glory Days......Aaah.....

gozagswoohoo
11-28-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm a lifelong hooper, played 3rd grade through high school, and then in some very competitive rec leagues for the last decade. Basketball is my passion.

That being said, I was usually the last starter, or maybe first off the bench...

gozagswoohoo
11-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Only in my dreams........:pray:...........Played for a High School with a Senior class of 26 (yes 26 in the graduating class) We were good though. Lost the A-4 Idaho State Championship by 3 points. The Glory Days......Aaah.....

Wow! That's awesome!

Also, 26? Wow. I bet your high school dances were SUPER exciting. :roll:

Markburn1
11-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Yes. And that's all you'll get from me.

TexasZagFan
11-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Me neither. I made it as far as JV in HS.

Having said that, over the past 50 years, I've watched thousands upon thousands of basketball games. Enough to speak somewhat intelligently about the game.

gozagswoohoo
11-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Yes. And that's all you'll get from me.

Hmmm....

This is interesting...

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2017, 12:39 PM
I have a point guard body (at least I did in the day) and a power forward game.

I had good vertical back in the day... could grab the rim and I was 6ft tall... now my vertical might be about 3-4 inches.

My three pointer is far better now than it was back in the day. Funny thing is when I play in over-40 leagues I get slapped down low... which I am more than OK with... got plenty of weight to throw in the paint now.

TexasZagFan
11-28-2017, 12:40 PM

I wish my son was enrolled at a small school like that. Shoot, 80 boys tried out for his freshman team last year.

Our school's too big IMO: for example, in football we have varsity, two JV, and two freshman teams. Programs like Allen (the school with the $60 million stadium, enrollment 6000+) have roughly 400+ playing.

CarolinaZagFan
11-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Nope. If you saw me shoot around in an open gym you would think possibly. However as soon as somebody starts playing a little defense I've got nothing.

jazzdelmar
11-28-2017, 12:46 PM
All Brooklyn playground .... at least the one I played in. Ran with some pretty good players, the Mullins, the Dunleavys, lots of hard nose NYC point guards who played collegiately all around the country. But I could only shoot; the banker. Both sons played D1 if that matters.......

CarolinaZagFan
11-28-2017, 12:46 PM
I wish my son was enrolled at a small school like that. Shoot, 80 boys tried out for his freshman team last year.

Our school's too big IMO: for example, in football we have varsity, two JV, and two freshman teams. Programs like Allen (the school with the $60 million stadium, enrollment 6000+) have roughly 400+ playing.

What school does your son attend? My cousins went to Southlake Carroll. I couldn't believe their stadium!

Markburn1
11-28-2017, 12:50 PM
All Brooklyn playground .... at least the one I played in. Ran with some pretty good players, the Mullins, the Dunleavys, lots of hard nose NYC point guards who played collegiately all around the country. But I could only shoot; the banker. Both sons played D1 if that matters.......

Some of the best basketball played is on the streets. Oakland was my playground.

john montana
11-28-2017, 12:50 PM
I played through high school, small college ball in MN and one year overseas (England)...but emphatically NO. Zero chance I could have ever played at GU. I still play on Friday's with a bunch of (much younger) middle school teachers. I can still shoot it a bit and get to the rim some, but lost my hops and my first step isn't quite what it used to be! hah hah!

My son is pretty good...just a fifth grader, but he already handles the ball better than I ever did. Amazing how quickly these young kids develop now.

TexasZagFan
11-28-2017, 12:52 PM
What school does your son attend? My cousins went to Southlake Carroll. I couldn't believe their stadium!

Coppell...no love lost between those two schools...lol.

Hoopaholic
11-28-2017, 12:55 PM
No way was a pounder and bruiser in high school with good inside game and decent mid range game......undersized center.........have a picture of Christian Welp dunking (hard dunk) and me simply looking up the net to see ball coming down on my face hard...........

Played thru high school varsity all four years (3 year starter) but baseball was my bread and butter

Coached at Odea and Eastside Catholic and Seattle Addidas summer team with kids that could have played for Zags

Son was All state but not caliber of zag level

Just starting my move to the DARK SIDE....completed my refereeing apprenticeship awaiting my first high school game to ref in..........oh my

jazzdelmar
11-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Some of the best basketball played is on the streets. Oakland was my playground.

McClymonds kids?

GU69
11-28-2017, 01:00 PM
No way.

The closest I can come is that I was fairly good friends with a couple guys who were on the team.

webspinnre
11-28-2017, 01:01 PM

This is roughly how I described my game, except less athletic. 5'10" and was excellent at rebounding, relative to my size. Played acceptable defense. Couldn't shoot or dribble worth a lick. If I'd showed up to try out for my high school team (school size of roughly 1600), they would've laughed at me.

kitzbuel
11-28-2017, 01:13 PM
I made the x-country team.

No way I would make it now, though. The team is tons better then when I was there.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

meadgrad02
11-28-2017, 01:20 PM
I think I would have had a shot at walking on. I played AAU with Morrie starting in the third grade, and was the shooting guard who played alongside him at Mead. One of us holds the all-time three point record (career) for Mead High School, and his name is not Adam. I think I could have shot my way onto the team. I miss those days...

Markburn1
11-28-2017, 01:25 PM
McClymonds kids?

Remember when you took the SAT and you reached a point when your brain just ran out of corpuscles?

That's how I knew I had reached max return on my game. Nate Williams. Sheesh.

cjm720
11-28-2017, 01:29 PM
No chance for me. Ended in 7th grade when I couldn’t make a left handed layup. I then played pickup games for the next 20 years or so-and my left hand scoop layup became one of my go to moves. My nickname was the grifter.

I did steal the ball from John Stockton at the Martin Center once-at least that’s how I remember it!

zagnut2012
11-28-2017, 01:30 PM

Yes it was great. I started 9 games as a Freshman. The 3 point line was put in the year after I graduated. We would have won, as we were a 3 point bombing team. And yes the High School dances were awesome! I met my wife at Junior Prom.

CDC84
11-28-2017, 01:39 PM
I could walk-on to the floor............

gozagswoohoo
11-28-2017, 01:40 PM
I think I would have had a shot at walking on. I played AAU with Morrie starting in the third grade, and was the shooting guard who played alongside him at Mead. One of us holds the all-time three point record (career) for Mead High School, and his name is not Adam. I think I could have shot my way onto the team. I miss those days...

SWEET!! That's a pretty cool stat/piece of trivia to have.

gozagswoohoo
11-28-2017, 01:40 PM
I could walk-on to the floor............

:roll:

Angelo Roncalli
11-28-2017, 01:44 PM

There were 4 (four) in my graduating class. And, there was a guy who was 3 years ahead of me at my school who played for the Zags JV team (back in the days of college JV's in the mid-'70's).

billyberu
11-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Absolutely not, but my smack could rival Quentin Hall's. And I'm about as tall as him too. [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

gozagswoohoo
11-28-2017, 01:57 PM
I actually still hold a record from when I was in high school.

I'm the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody.

hooter73
11-28-2017, 02:05 PM
I played two years of D1 and against GU once. The score indicated that no, no I could not have ever played for a GU team lol.

sage
11-28-2017, 02:12 PM
No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn several years ago.

tinfoilzag
11-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Our AAU team won some tourneys in high school. My brush with greatness was guarding Damon Stoudamire in a semi-final game. I was taken to the woodshed. I started reevaluating my dreams of playing basketball at the next level after that.

Looking back I can tell you that I was a idiot at 18 and I am always impressed with players that have the wherewithal to pick GU.

SWZag
11-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryDOy3AosBw[/url]

jazzdelmar
11-28-2017, 02:20 PM

Tonya?

bballbeachbum
11-28-2017, 02:22 PM
no, but maybe coached a couple of kids who could have

where in Oakland did you run?

Reborn
11-28-2017, 02:23 PM
:roll:.......my HS graduating class had 14 so everyone that wanted to play played .....well.... after high school we used to play pick up games at the Y during the winter...Reborn might remember the McDonald boys.... our shooting guard was a kid named Ron Santo who I understand played some third base during the summer...Gonzaga,..... no way but my roommate played....I played intermural at Gonzaga....too short....too young....too small....too slow....

I am one of the 25% that think the coaches know what they are doing...

Yes I did know all the McDonald's. I played with Scott and Dick. Played with Scott in '65 when we were state undefeated champs. Played with Dick in '66 my senior year. Great memories. Thanks

Reborn
11-28-2017, 02:25 PM
I'm a lifelong hooper, played 3rd grade through high school, and then in some very competitive rec leagues for the last decade. Basketball is my passion.

That being said, I was usually the last starter, or maybe first off the bench...

I think when it comes to passion for the game we are certainly equals. There's nothing in the world likea Zag Fan. Great thread though.

I started playing basketball as soon as I can remember being able to shoot a tennis ball into a garbage can in my brother's and my bedroon. He also played sometimes. I began playing on outdoor baskets in 3rd grade with a tennis ball. In 4th grade I joined my first CYO team; and began playing with a real ball in a gym. I also began going to my brother's practices in 4th grade. It was great. They even let me shoot layins with them. I went to all of my brother's games and in 5th grade I got to actually play on the team. One of the starters was out; so they stuck me in. Their coach was also my CYO coach and he told everyone to throw the ball to me. I knew them all so they were ok with that. I ended up the high scorer on the team with 16 points. once i began playing on a regular basis in 6th grade I started for every team I played on. From grade 6 all the way to 1969 at Gonzaga University. In high school I was lucky enough to play for an undefeated state championship team in 1A basketball for Marquette High School. The state games at that time were played at the PLU Fieldhouse. A great gymnasium. I was ALL-State 2 years. I remember when I started out at Gonzaga the other players would rank on me and ridcule me because I cam from a 1A school in Yakima Washington, a very small city. I had a strong mind and very strong spirit, and none of them were ever able to break my confidence in myself. I will always have a place in my heart for all the kids who come from Washington and Oregon and played for small schools and became stars at Gonzaga. There really are a lot, and the latest is Corey Kispert. I'm almost positive he played 1A BASKETBALL for Kings HS. No wonder he's my favorite.

Like Woohoo, I had a big passion for the game. I played rec ball until I was 40, and always played on good teams. I loved playing with the good younger guys who loved to call me "Old Man."" After I turn maybe 37 they stuck me down on the low blocks. I was playing on a six foot and under team, and I was the toughest defender and rebounder we had. I remember guarding a couple 6'6" players in two tournaments that we won. One in Yakima, guarding a guy who played for YVCC, and when I was teaching over at the Olympic Penninsula I guarded a 6'6" guy who played at Gray's Harber CC. Those were the days. I started coaching my two sons and their friends when I was 37. I took two AAU teams to Nationals, one in Michigan and one in Florida. The last one Florida, the boys were 8th graders and we placed 16th in the nation. That was maybe even more fun then playing the game. When they entered 9th grade I let them all go, including my two sons, and they all played for Either Ike or Davis. I wish the had stayed together and one of the schools. They would have been much better. Oh well.

upan8th
11-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Absolutely! If the game was played on ice . . .

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
11-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Tonya?

No, Happy Gilmore.

And to the OP, no. I was a pretty good PG, made Varsity my Soph season. But I got my girlfriend pregnant (now wife, been married 17+ years), and had to go to work. No more basketball for me after that season.

I was too short (5'8") but I could still grab the rim. I think if I could have kept at it, I would have been able to dunk it, maybe and I mean maybe make some junior college team as a walk-on, but no D1 would even had sniffed me.

ZagsObserver
11-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Zero chance. Not tall enough, too skinny, no vertical and my shot can be erratic.

GU cross-country, however. Terrible work ethic but lots of talent. Would love to have been on a current GU squad. Back in my day no one got scholarships. If even partials were given it would have changed everything. The new coach has brought a ton of energy to the program and exciting things are coming.

Birddog
11-28-2017, 02:42 PM
I played JV in a small school outside Spokane as a HS Jr and would have made varsity as a Sr but had a compound fracture of the clavicle. I would have ridden the pine anyway. We were poorly coached, unskilled, short and slow afoot. In short, we were terrible. I was a 5'8" small forward and a rebounding machine. (7 or 8 per game) I could draw fouls like crazy but couldn't make FT's for squat (about 25%). Did I mention that we were poorly coached, unskilled, short and slow?

stevet75
11-28-2017, 02:43 PM
I played my junior year in high school. I was second string. It was a very small school and my job was more of a hockey style enforcer. Our coach was a French Canadian hockey player. We were not good.
So no I couldn't hold the jock strap of anyone who played at GU.

MontanaCoyote
11-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Absolutely Not. I thought I could play some off the bench at Seattle U a few years after Baylor. But after playing with/against a few SU starters and backups in a pick up game or two in '62, I learned I couldn't walk on at North West Arkansas State College of Wood Splitting. No " livin' the dream " here. Reality can be so cruel, but we all have to grow up and face it sometime, I guess.

cggonzaga
11-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Probably college ball but not GU. Will never know however as my body fell apart on me after making varsity my sophomore year. Pretty good point guard, passer and shutdown defender. Wish things would’ve turned out a little differently in regards to my body staying healthy.

Zagdawg
11-28-2017, 03:49 PM
No walk on now-a-days.....maybe when I was at Gonzaga in the late 80's (no....not really). Played my high school ball at a small B school up north.

bdmiller7
11-28-2017, 03:49 PM
Good enough to play baseball, but not basketball at GU. Didn't have the dedication to stick that out either at 18. Most people never realize the demand on time and how much these kids put into their sport at the D1 level. It's a full time job. Did get to play Calvary and Gourde in pick up after the season. Definitely several levels above my basketball skills.

mgadfly
11-28-2017, 03:58 PM

I was an assistant coach in the GSL back then. I was a three year varsity player at a larger school (at the time, they're smaller now) on the west side of the state. We defeated O'Dea when they were ranked in the top 10 nationally and lost to Jason Terry's team by a point for the state championship. I played against lots of players that either ended up at GU or an equivalent program in the 90s and know that I couldn't have even walked on at GU (unless they were just looking for a practice guy with a great attitude and work ethic that would never be able to contribute in any meaningful way). But it was your team that made me feel old for the first time because as you thumped everyone (including NC) in the GSL, I wondered what would happen if our teams could play. Glory days and all that...

More recently Steven Gray played on the adult rec league team I sponsor for two games while he waited to finalize a contract. We have some really good players but Steven was definitely in another league (but maybe that's because half of us are now in our 40s too ... or maybe he is just a lot better than most of us). It was awesome and he is a great guy.

scrooner
11-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Meech is a way better shooter than me.

dan71w
11-28-2017, 04:26 PM
nope not even close, way to short and skinny to be considered for any sport, and legally blind to boot. i feel i was fairly athletic for my size (could reach half way up the net in a single bound) and could out run most people in my prime, but in sports; size does matter. :fingergun:

though volleyball was a girls only sport while i was in school, i learned to play it while in the Navy, and even tried out for the all navy team.

edit to add

A to Zags
11-28-2017, 04:38 PM
nope not even close, way to short and skinny to be considered for any sport, and legally blind to boot. i feel i was fairly athletic for my size (could reach half way up the net in a single bound) and could out run most people in my prime, but in sports; size does matter. :fingergun:

In a word, no, but played a year of D1. Injuries and taking down the peach basket exploited my weakness. If a game of horse broke out I had a shot but playing defense seemed unfair so I wisely chose another profession.

nonzagzag
11-28-2017, 04:42 PM
had one offer from small university in Canada for basketball - ended up playing University men's volleyball for 3 years (it is a thing in Canada)

gu03alum
11-28-2017, 04:50 PM
But it was your team that made me feel old for the first time because as you thumped everyone (including NC) in the GSL, I wondered what would happen if our teams could play.

I went to NC. I played for a JV squad that went 0 for the season my sophomore year in 96-97. Understandably I along with nearly all of my teammates were not selected to continue our basketball careers the following year.

Zagsker
11-28-2017, 04:54 PM

Happy

Once and Future Zag
11-28-2017, 05:00 PM

I had good vertical back in the day... could grab the rim and I was 6ft tall... now my vertical might be about 3-4 inches.

My three pointer is far better now than it was back in the day. Funny thing is when I play in over-40 leagues I get slapped down low... which I am more than OK with... got plenty of weight to throw in the paint now.

Are we twins?

Skimhvn
11-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Highschool coaches love fastbreak so much in US, too?lol
In Japan, if you are 5'10 in junior highschool, you will be center.haha

DixieZag
11-28-2017, 05:31 PM
I read a lot.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-28-2017, 06:05 PM
I was technically on a high school varsity team, but I was buried so far down the bench that I only went into games as an act of sheer desperation when the coach needed to protect better players from foul trouble. For a time, he joked that my position was, “Check in and go foul No. 42.”

I probably should have walked on with the caveat that I couldn’t shoot, dribble, or jump, but I could foul on demand.

RenoZag
11-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Would never in my dreams see the court.

I was four feet, 11 inches tall when I started high school. Made it to four feet, nine and three quarters by the time I graduated in 1975. I was the towel boy for our CYO teams in 7th and 8th grade. The Coach, George Albano, was paralyzed from the waist down and had once been a semi-pro baseball standout. He was a legend in my hometown, coaching CYO basketball, American Legion baseball, and Mexican American league baseball. Thinking of George gave me a lot of inspiration when I was dealing with the hand dealt to my late wife,

I was a public address announcer for high school games during my last year at Tracy High. Watched future Zag Scott Finnie play for the Bishop O'Dowd Dragons at the Tracy Lions Club Christmas basketball tournament in 1974.

I love college basketball. I was mildly disappointed when I saw the size of the crowd at my first game in Kennedy Pavilion in the 1975-76 season. Adrian Buoncristiani was the head coach.

Like CDC, I could walk on the court. Might have been a okay student manager. Living and breathing Zags hoops from November to April ( or March ) gets me through the winter months, especially the last two seasons.

Fun thread, woohoo. Thanks

GrizZAG
11-28-2017, 07:00 PM
If fans were some kind of team themselves I would have been a lottery pick. Have loved the game since my high school in Missoula went to the state championship game when I was a sophomore. Been hooked on BB since. Zags stole my heart in 98-99 and loyal fan since. I played a lot of intramural ball and had absolutely no clue what I was doing but sure had fun. GU Board has educated me a great deal so thanks to all sincerely. WooHoo has convinced me that goat farming might be nice to take up in retirement.

DixieZag
11-28-2017, 07:05 PM
A fun question to ask is how many of today's elite ballers can hit a fastball, or throw an out pattern.

Those of us lucky enough to be over 35 enjoyed a "golden age" of sports in which there were sports for all seasons and we played them all.

Nowadays, unless you're "just" interested in having "fun," any self-respecting 12 year old knows he's a year behind in his specialization process, whereby he plays one sport, and no others, at least not competitively.

I read an article by Dr. James Andrews, orthopedists to the star athletes, in which he was talking about now having to do "Tommy John surgeries" on freshman pitchers in college, or high school seniors.

He said it wasn't that the kids were doing anything fundamentally different, it's that a college pitcher in today's game has thrown as many total pitches as a 30 year old just a generation ago.

He said, "When we were kids, baseball season 'ended' and we all put our pads on and played football, or basketball, or swimming or whatever, and the arm got 4-5 months of rest from repetitive motion. That doesn't happen today bc baseball season is never over for the elite pitcher, basketball season never ends, hockey, it's all specialization down to grade school."

I don't think the quality of play in 18 year olds has ever been better, bc that specialization allows muscle-memory and skill-development to really bake-in. There are, however, many downsides to many kids.

willandi
11-28-2017, 07:07 PM
In 1962 I played on the Freshman team in our California HS. I played the same position Morrison did his second playing season in the show...or maybe it was Wiltjer.

You know. Stand there in the corner on the baseline. If the ball comes to you, shoot it!

I was about 25% from 5' and in, didn't have a long shot then.

Larryzag
11-28-2017, 07:15 PM
My high school in So. Cal. had a starting 5 with a 7' center 6'7" forward and a 6'1" freshman that was a four year starter and broke Bill Walton's all time California scoring record. I think he averaged over 35 points a game as a senior, and that was before the 3 point shot. An LA tv crew came out to televise a game and I remember the camera just followed him the whole game. He ended up getting a scholarship to USC but never excelled there. But he also got drafted as a pitcher by I think the Angels. Never made it to the majors....... So no I didn't play on our HS team.

zagdontzig
11-28-2017, 08:15 PM
2A state title my senior year, that's it.

MDABE80
11-28-2017, 08:23 PM

Few didn't. Couldn't. Never tried. SO if that's a measuring stick of knowing the game, my friend, WooHoo, it's defeated. You don't need to play the college game to fully know it and understand it;)
Back then though, I was throwing strikes upstairs in Kennedy during the Winter months on a clay mound.

Basketball got over for me in HS. Played lots of pickup at Kennedy though. Somebody was always around for a game.

Scooter
11-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Nope. Not even close!
I love the stories. Fun thread.
I played varsity at a small school in WI. I loved playing but I was no basketball player, more of a scrapper off the bench. My JV coach as a sophomore was Paul Mall, assistant coach to Ray Meyer of Depaul and a national championship boxing coach. He retired and got bored and finished out coaching a bunch of us kids for something to do. 0-16 as freshman and he immediately had the same guys 12-4 as sophomores. Man he loved to yell at us! But we loved him. I was the kid who played better when he was yelled at. Coach Mall love to scream at me...”you’ll be a basketball player when my balls turn to stone!” He was wrong of course...I never became a bb player. Ha!

Go Zags!

GeorgiaZagFan
11-28-2017, 08:51 PM

...yes, when I was younger and in my prime I could have done wonders for Zags, a better version of David Stockton, ...and I have no doubt a couple more FF appearances would have happened...and then that damn alarm clock would start making it's annoying noise and I'd wake up!!! LOL

I did play baseball against the Zags back in the 70's when I was an Eastern Washington State University Eagle....I pitched and had a fastball that traveled well over 100 MPH...it went up to the plate at about 85 mph and left well in excess of 100 MPH !!

My high school basketball highlights included teaming up to hold Clint Richardson of Odea High School to 26 points in a game (about 10 points below his average) but we still lost 100+ to about 75...Richardson went on to play in the NBA for a number of years, a poor man's David Thompson.

Gonezagaga
11-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Was too small for basketball in high school so I played golf. Ended up growing to abou 6’1 and became a pretty good basketball player after high school. Can still grab the rim at 51.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-29-2017, 01:35 AM
I did play baseball against the Zags back in the 70's when I was an Eastern Washington State University Eagle....I pitched and had a fastball that traveled well over 100 MPH...it went up to the plate at about 85 mph and left well in excess of 100 MPH !!

:cool:

Skimhvn
11-29-2017, 02:06 AM
You often see 6'6+ taller people in US...?

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-29-2017, 02:23 AM

6’6” is not common. 6’3” is common.

Skimhvn
11-29-2017, 02:30 AM
6’6” is not common. 6’3” is common.
I'm relieved to hear that lol.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-29-2017, 02:37 AM
I like to think if Pitino had been coaching when I was a senior in high school he might have offered me some cash. Alas, he was not and my hoop dreams were never realized.

WallaWallaZag
11-29-2017, 04:47 AM
definitely not for the modern day zags, but maybe early fitz years as an end of bench walk on...played some hoops with tommy and went head-to-head against bankhead in pickup games before (didn't feel he was div 1 material so i guess you never know...:)).

TexasZag
11-29-2017, 05:37 AM

No. But I was a band geek, anyway (in one of the top two High school band programs in the state of Florida), so I had no time for organized sports, let alone during high school. But if I had played high school sports it would have been baseball, which I was able to walk-on for in college (briefly, before an unplanned pregnancy sent me out into the working world--I know, this doesn't quite fit the band geek stereotype).

But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. And for the record, I am also part of the 25% that believe the coaches know what they are doing.

gozagswoohoo
11-29-2017, 05:54 AM
Was too small for basketball in high school so I played golf. Ended up growing to abou 6’1 and became a pretty good basketball player after high school. Can still grab the rim at 51.

No kidding?? Wow. That's seriously impressive.

Nice to hear from you. Hope you and the fam are doing well.

gozagswoohoo
11-29-2017, 05:56 AM
And as a few of you have already stated, yes, this is a fun thread. It's interesting to read some of your sporting backgrounds!

How much fun would an all-ages, all-skill-levels, forum intramural league be?? HAHA. I think it would last about 2 weeks because we'd all be injured by then.

rennis
11-29-2017, 06:07 AM
I've played pick-up ball with a number of players from GU. I can say without a doubt there is no way I could have even come close to walking on. Their talent level is so far above most people it's ludicrous.

One of my roommates tried to walk on back in the year 2000. He was super athletic, could dunk like crazy and shoot from distance (won two state HS championships in Colorado IIRC.) He consistently dominated in the pickup games in the field house. Even he didn't have a chance.

If you haven't seen these guys play pickup style ball it's a shame. Their athleticism is almost stifled on purpose to manage the game. When they are freewheeling the stuff they can do would blow your mind. three-quarter-court alley-oops, for example.

TexasZagFan
11-29-2017, 06:19 AM

I can, too...when the rim is set at 8 feet. :lmao:

Looking back, I just wasn't serious enough with athletics in HS. Although I would go on to win state and city titles in bowling, averaging 205+ my last five years, I understood that being a good local bowler was as far as it went. I didn't have the drive necessary to practice 20+ games a day, nor spend the thousands necessary for equipment and travel.

I thank Jim Frazier for that. He was the #2 bowler in Spokane in the 70s, and gave the tour a shot. I think he cashed about 20% of the time. No matter the sport, the jump from one level to the next is huge.

rennis
11-29-2017, 06:19 AM
I played JV in a small school outside Spokane as a HS Jr and would have made varsity as a Sr but had a compound fracture of the clavicle. I would have ridden the pine anyway. We were poorly coached, unskilled, short and slow afoot. In short, we were terrible. I was a 5'8" small forward and a rebounding machine. (7 or 8 per game) I could draw fouls like crazy but couldn't make FT's for squat (about 25%). Did I mention that we were poorly coached, unskilled, short and slow?

Bi-County school?

gozagswoohoo
11-29-2017, 06:21 AM
I actually 'attempted' to walk on at the small D2 school I attended right out of high school. I went to Harding University in Searcy, AR. I saw a flyer that they were having tryouts for a walk on spot on xyz night. I thought....hey, I've played ball since 3rd grade, and it's a walk on spot, so it can't hurt to try out!!! There were probably at least 30 people there to try out for ONE spot. As we were shooting around and getting warmed up, there was a white guy there that was absolutely ripped. His muscles had muscles. While I'm shooting some boring jumpers, he's dunking and stroking 3 after 3. So....I left. haha. Didn't even stay for the actual tryout. (I know, looking back on it, I wish I would have stayed just for the experience and to not be such a copout). That guy DID end up being the one to earn the walk on spot though, and I later learned he ended up being a starter and was EXTREMELY good. Earned some sort of conference honors. Wish I knew his story now.

bigblahla
11-29-2017, 06:26 AM
Never in my wildest dreams....I've played the game and loved it since grade school.....real late bloomer....was a tear on asphalt between the ages of 28-33. Played 5 days a week, full court all day on Sat. in Kaimuki on Oahu, up off of Waielae Ave. close to Chaminade....had tickets to the game but didn't go when they beat Virginia, I did see them beat Louisville it was a helluva game...no vertical but real quick hands and feet and could shoot from anywhere....moved to Cali in "84" and was shooting down at Laguna Beach and got invited to play in a money game ala "White Men Can't jump". Did good enough I got asked back.

Now, the hands are still quick and the feet are like cement blocks...my 6'2" mini me beats me a little over half the time in horse, I'm 5' 10"....I got no legs left...I'm 66 so I don't feel bad about it....I can still swim 25 meters under water....and my avatar isn't my granddaughter she's my lady....life isn't good....It's GREAT for da blahla!!!

Go!! Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
11-29-2017, 06:30 AM
I've mentioned this before; in my prime I played pickup ball at the Y in Manhattan and while not a good scorer, I was an awesome pg and 3 point shooter and held my own. I then practiced with a juco team and their star player, a 6'4 sg was the best player I had ever seen in person, he was just an incredible natural born scorer. I was sure he was gonna go to Villanova, Syracuse or one of the other high profile East Coast teams at the time. He transferred to a D III school and averaged about 14 ppg. The point is, even the worst DI players are better than anyone you've most likely ever met or played against.

TexasZagFan
11-29-2017, 06:37 AM
I've mentioned this before; in my prime I played pickup ball at the Y in Manhattan and while not a good scorer, I was an awesome pg and 3 point shooter and held my own. I then practiced with a juco team and their star player, a 6'4 sg was the best player I had ever seen in person, he was just an incredible natural born scorer. I was sure he was gonna go to Villanova, Syracuse or one of the other high profile East Coast teams at the time. He transferred to a D III school and averaged about 14 ppg. The point is, even the worst DI players are better than anyone you've most likely ever met or played against.

Lot of truth to that last statement. Last year, my son was at the local fitness center, training for a shot at his freshman team. Saw a guy that simply dominated in a pickup game, head and shoulders above everyone else. Stopped by to offer my son a few tips on shooting free throws. He asked my permission, though he didn't need to. I could see his talent. Didn't ask his name, but he said he played four years at Kansas. He downplayed it, saying he rode the bench, but was on scholarship.

kitzbuel
11-29-2017, 06:39 AM

I would not say often, but you do see them.

gozagswoohoo
11-29-2017, 06:41 AM
I think many of you will find this interesting.

So as I said before, I've played in some extremely competitive rec leagues over the last decade or so. A few years ago, a guard joined the league and was dominating everyone. He and I are friends now, and we text often. He played at a D2 school, and had a really good career. But he's, FAR AND AWAY, 100x better than me. It's quite depressing actually, I try to guard him and he's just so much faster and stronger than me. But he was SO much better than everyone in our most competitive league. It's like the game was slower for him, he could just do anything he wanted. Speed-wise, strength-wise, athleticism-wise, he owned everyone. So anyway, he was telling me about a rec-league he played in a couple years ago in Colorado. He said it was even a step up in competition from the league he and I were playing in at the time, and said MOST of the guys in the league were more on his level....

So one day, he's sitting there waiting to play against a team, and in walks a dark-headed guy wearing some GU shorts. He didn't recognize him immediately (he wasn't a huge GU fan just yet), but people started talking, and he overheard that the guy was a former D1 player. He said he guarded him some in the game, and got absolutely TORCHED. This is hard for me to even compute, because like I said, all I have EVER seen is this particular guy dominate EVERYONE. But he said that in the same way he was on another level in our rec league, this zags shorts guy was on another level over all of them. He said the player was just so much better than EVERYONE THERE in strength, speed, athleticism, etc...and virtually did anything he wanted all game long, and made many of them look like rookies.

Turns out, it was one of my favs....Matty B.

I don't know, things like that are just fascinating to me. Every level of basketball that you go 'up' to, you just can't understand how the speed and strength of the game just rises. That's why it's hard for people to compute how someone like Rui might dominate his previous games, and have trouble in NCAA D1 games, but the speed/size/movement of everyone is just on another level that is hard for everyone to immediately recognize. If that makes sense.

ehk 21
11-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Never could have played for anyone. Although I enjoy watching the sport, was a horrendously terrible basketball player and never played a minute of organized basketball in my life. I was poor at all sports that required hand-eye coordination, but the one thing, and only thing, I could do athletically is run very fast. Received a track scholarship to be a sprinter at a Division I university. Raced against lots of Olympians including Carl Lewis and still hold the school record in the 200 meters at my university, three decades later.

gueastcoast
11-29-2017, 06:53 AM
Started in HS, decent shooting guard with no handle, played smaller than I am (6'0"), guarded Kevin Johnson in summer league once (who led the state of California that year in scoring at 38 ppg) which was humbling to say the least, realized early on that academics might be a more promising path :doh:

LouisianaZag
11-29-2017, 06:58 AM
I played in high school. Not remotely good enough to have played for the Zags in any way. Then coached for many years.

Birddog
11-29-2017, 07:25 AM
Bi-County school?

Nope, Deer Park of the old NE A League in the mid 60's. Played against those wickedly good Colville Indian teams. We were one of the smaller schools back then. Kettle Falls, Colville, Chewelah, Selkirk, Newport, East Valley, Cheney,Mead, and Medical Lake IIRC. I've mentioned it here before, but Newport HS had a very old gym much like the old Boone Ave GU gym, except there were 2 support columns about 6" in diameter and about 2 or 3 feet into the court from the side lines. The Newport players used those columns as picks to perfection. I don't remember any padding on them either. Most of the local class B teams probably would have run circles around our team, we were really horrid.

I can still grab the rim of my coffee cup
and I can dunk a donut

mgadfly
11-29-2017, 07:39 AM

I think this is true for most people on the board, but my personal experience has been the opposite. The difference between some players that never make it and those that do can be little things. We had a guard on our rec league team that plays in all the pro-am tournaments and out scores NBA guys consistently. He was better than them in high school and if you were watching, you would think he was better today. But he is a bit of a head case (now has a lifetime ban from our league) and got into trouble and never got a shot. He’s made money being The Guy on good semipro teams but even that is falling way short of his talent. Another player on our team was all-State his senior year, was mvp of the game, had high major college offers from all over the country before going to prison for a crime he was later exonerated for. We had another guy play for us who makes a living winning dunk contests (Hoopfest included) but isn’t really that good of a basketball player.

My point is only that sometimes it is an inability to do little things, commit to defense, be a good teammate, pass the ball well, have a good work ethic, that distinguishes pros from college stars or even playground stars. For example, Rui may never make it, but that isn’t due to size, strength, or athleticism.

WallaWallaZag
11-29-2017, 07:43 AM
I think this is true for most people on the board, but my personal experience has been the opposite. The difference between some players that never make it and those that do can be little things. We had a guard on our rec league team that plays in all the pro-am tournaments and out scores NBA guys consistently. He was better than them in high school and if you were watching, you would think he was better today. But he is a bit of a head case (now has a lifetime ban from our league) and got into trouble and never got a shot. He’s made money being The Guy on good semipro teams but even that is falling way short of his talent. Another player on our team was all-State his senior year, was mvp of the game, had high major college offers from all over the country before going to prison for a crime he was later exonerated for. We had another guy play for us who makes a living winning dunk contests (Hoopfest included) but isn’t really that good of a basketball player.

My point is only that sometimes it is an inability to do little things, commit to defense, be a good teammate, pass the ball well, have a good work ethic, that distinguishes pros from college stars or even playground stars. For example, Rui may never make it, but that isn’t due to size, strength, or athleticism.

bol kong

bigblahla
11-29-2017, 07:44 AM
Nope, Deer Park of the old NE A League in the mid 60's. Played against those wickedly good Colville Indian teams. We were one of the smaller schools back then. Kettle Falls, Colville, Chewelah, Selkirk, Newport, East Valley, Cheney,Mead, and Medical Lake IIRC. I've mentioned it here before, but Newport HS had a very old gym much like the old Boone Ave GU gym, except there were 2 support columns about 6" in diameter and about 2 or 3 feet into the court from the side lines. The Newport players used those columns as picks to perfection. I don't remember any padding on them either. Most of the local class B teams probably would have run circles around our team, we were really horrid.

I can still grab the rim of my coffee cup and I can dunk a donut

You mean against Douvia, Schuerman, West, Clarke. Olson, Kegel, Haney, Sinner and the rest of the boys... they could score a 100 points in a high school game unless you tried to take the air out of the ball....best high school game I ever saw was class B Springdale against the #1 ranked class A Colville team in the Christmas tournament when a little lefty by the name of Wayne Gilman played for the Chargers. It was won by Colville in triple overtime, Gilman was phenomenal and kept Springdale in the game. . Yep the same legendary coach of Ferris. Bob Haney became a legend himself as the football coach at Shadle Park.

Damn bird....we're getting old ;)

Go !! Zags!!!

former1dog
11-29-2017, 08:08 AM
I was a walk on cross country and track athlete at Gonzaga U. In Cross Country, I was honorable mention all conference as a freshman and first team all conference for my sophomore, junior and senior seasons (http://www.gozags.com/trads/gonz-all-wcc-selections.html). In track, I set the GU 10k record and it held up for 10 years. Our cross country team took 2nd place in the conference championships each of the 4 years I competed. Our team was the first ever for Gonzaga to compete in the NCAA cross country regional championships in 1989.

I wasn't a very good basketball player though, even though I played a lot of pick up ball. That was essentially our only recreation growing up on the rez in the 80's. That or getting drunk and/or high, which wasn't my thing.

Fortunately, my hometown was represented well in basketball as well as cross country and track at Gonzaga. My good friend, Felix McGowan (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/felix-mcgowan-1.html), who I grew up with was a junior college transfer to Gonzaga and he played for 2 years. His first season he played behind Jarrod Davis. Memorably Felix was brought into several close games at the end because he could create his own offense off the dribble (thank you rez ball!!!), including as I recall against Pepperdine in the conference championship tournament game. Felix started his senior season as a starter but sufferred a broken thumb and was sidelined most of the year but managed to contribute at the end of the season. He was teammates with Jeff Brown, Geoff Goss and others. Those guys are the ones who really got things rolling in the right direction for Gonzaga Basketball, IMHO, as they really were not very good just a couple seasons previous.

Following Felix's basketball career at Gonzaga is what really turned me into a fanatic for GU basketball. I went to games previously, but was a bit apathetic because of their general poor results and my personal perception at the time that the basketball players got preferential treatment to other athletes at Gonzaga (like me!!)

Felix comes from a very athletic family. His younger brother, Scott McGowan (https://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/proud-plainsman), was a fantastic track athlete who among other things broke my high school 3200 meter record, then broke the state 1600m record, then became the first Montanan to ever run sub 4 minutes for the mile!!

JPtheBeasta
11-29-2017, 08:25 AM
Fun thread, woohoo. Thanks

+1

I love basketball and was a decent shooter, but never would have played college ball. I remember getting smoked in pick-up ball at Pacific Lutheran as a freshman by their freshman PG and it was humbling. He drove by me all game and I found a way to keep him in front of me one time and stopped him in transition-- he pulled up at the free throw line, swished it, and said, "Good D." I think he was being sincere... at least I hope so.

LeightonZag
11-29-2017, 08:49 AM
I played D2 here in Nebraska but it would take a whole bunch of stars aligning to be able to walk on a place like Gonzaga....Now Nebraska on the other hand....

john montana
11-29-2017, 09:24 AM
In college I played against two guys that ended up in the NBA. One started for the lakers for several years, the other had basically a cup of coffee. It was a ridiculous joke when we played those guys. They looked like they were going 1/2 speed the entire game and would end up with 25 and 12 and you could swear they weren't even sweating. I remember my freshman year I was on the floor and being pressured...so I blew by the guy like I have done my entire life and went down the lane (I'm 5 ft 10, could dunk a breakaway in my prime and in high school was a scorer)...I torched the pressure, and zipped down the lane for a layup just like highschool...only there was a 7 foot kid blocking my path and I threw the ball over the backboard. Had never played against anyone that size. Spent the rest of my college career as the designated "break the press guy" and getting the ball to our big farm kid.

I played one year in England...not in a paid league, but a level below. Found our real quickly that I had 0 chance making money at hoops. Even so, back then it just wasn't as big of a deal. The best players on the teams over there were either American or Canadian. Our coach was greek, spoke very little english and everyone played a 2/3 zone. I got to run up and down and shoot as much as I wanted. It was awesome, but even that was eye opening. The guys that really stood out...well, they really stood out. Some fantastic athletes...we had a greek kid (7 footer) that ended up getting paid the next season somewhere in Europe. He was a monster.

Corky
11-29-2017, 09:49 AM
Not me as I was a wrestler and baseball player at a small college back in the disco era. Not a hooper although I love playing. My little brother played at U of W for Harshman. He was 7th or 8th man during his time there. I think he could have played at GU in the early eighties for sure, maybe today but I don't think he'd be too high up in the rotation.

BoZarth
11-29-2017, 10:47 AM
520 kids in my high school graduation class so I can say I played varsity at a big school. Three players from my class played college ball. One as a Division One walk-on.

I attended a couple of camps at GU and as a soon to be 9th grader played three on three with some GU players. Some guy named Stockton was on my team. We won. He was the best player I had ever seen in person, let alone play with.

No way I play at GU.

But I do get to coach AAU hoops and love it.

Go Zags!!!!

MDABE80
11-29-2017, 11:07 AM
I always marveled at how the best players in the HS BBall league would go to a mid level D1 team and look so average. We had those who were stars, leapers, quick, always found the hoop.........and then average or less when they joined a D1 team. Always astounded me but the best of the best make it to D1. It's a pretty rare bird who excels in D1.

D1 kids are the best of their HS. In GU's case, most were spectacular in HS. I doubt any of us could serious compete at GU. Few's a superior coach. He never played in college. Who knows how did at Creswell, Ore. But he understands the game.

Great thread WooHoo. Nice job! A lot of fun.

BULLDOG#1
11-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Played university ball in Canada in mid 80s. Had a few options overseas for pro contracts but opted for grad school. Impossible to say regarding walking on today as it's a different world. The kids today are so much more physically gifted and most are incredibly talented. A guy like Triano would have probably lit up the same league I lit up, but it's still seems unrealistic that a younger version of me could have walked on to this amazing program.

zagsfanforlife
11-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Was a decent Division II player.. the confident guy in me thinks he could have walked on at least for GU. That i will never know.

gozagswoohoo
11-29-2017, 11:44 AM
I always marveled at how the best players in the HS BBall league would go to a mid level D1 team and look so average. We had those who were stars, leapers, quick, always found the hoop.........and then average or less when they joined a D1 team. Always astounded me but the best of the best make it to D1. It's a pretty rare bird who excels in D1.

D1 kids are the best of their HS. In GU's case, most were spectacular in HS. I doubt any of us could serious compete at GU. Few's a superior coach. He never played in college. Who knows how did at Creswell, Ore. But he understands the game.

Great thread WooHoo. Nice job! A lot of fun.

Yes! Exactly. I remember 3-4 years ago, there was a TON of buzz here locally around a HS kid named Cullen VanLeer. His played for his dad, who was a FIERY coach for one of our conference rivals, the Pacific Tigers. Anyway, Cullen was straight up MURDERING everyone on the court. I hadn't seen a HS game in years, but I decided to attend the game in which my alma mater was playing against VanLeer and the Tigers. At one point, he went off and scored on like 6 straight possessions, all while being double and often triple teamed. Straight up, he took them on a visit to MurderTown Central, and he was the mayor. He had an unbelievable high school career.

SO....he ends up going to Mizzou, and he's now a junior and averages 4 points per game. Keep in mind, ESPECIALLY up until this year, Mizzou absolutely blew goats. But it's interesting, nobody could touch the kid in high school, yet he's a mediocre-AT BEST D1 player, who I personally think would have not even been a shoe-in to walk on at GU...

GoZags
11-29-2017, 12:14 PM
While I was never much of a playa—- like many on this board my coaching skills are top notch. I stand at the ready to brainstorm with Few, Tommy etc. about topics like rotations, substitutions, recruiting ... you name it. Just waiting for the call. Still.

bballbeachbum
11-29-2017, 12:20 PM
While I was never much of a playa—- like many on this board my coaching skills are top notch. I stand at the ready to brainstorm with Few, Tommy etc. about topics like rotations, substitutions, recruiting ... you name it. Just waiting for the call. Still.

:lmao:

on playing with pros and collegiates, at the Berkeley RSF way back when it used to happen. Got to run with KJ and it was incredible. Manute Bol was the coolest though. One time he showed up, blocked everyone's shot, then pulled up from half court or darn near and made it to win the game, the only shot he took

CDC84
11-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Baseball was definitely my sport. I was a really good long range good shooter in basketball but my handle was just awful.

TexasZagFan
11-29-2017, 12:35 PM

Good news! Stephen Gentry remembered who you were when I passed on your "hello." Maybe that incoming call is closer than you think.

:lmao:

Marcus
11-29-2017, 02:07 PM
I played college in Canada for a small school. I was a very athletic 6'4" guard/small forward, no problem dunking, above average on D, a great slasher and could get to the hoop and finish. On the other hand, I couldn't shoot a jumper to save my life, especially from 3. So no, not a DI talent at all, especially in a system like GU and Mark Few run.

avid-zag-fan
11-29-2017, 02:31 PM
I was all conference back in the 60's, led the league in scoring, set a school scoring record but only an A school. Played on a small college Freshmen team. Back then there was no 3 point line, no shot clock, no dunking and freshmen couldn't play varsity. way different game for sure. even the zag's walk-on's are way better than I ever even dreamed of being.

Billfish'80
11-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Definitely not me! I was a late bloomer. 5'8" & 120 as a senior in hs at a N Idaho A2 school. I realized I could jump though, and long jumped and triple jumped my jr and sr years. Discovered I could dunk, while playing in the gym at noon my sr year. Went on to place 6th in state in both track events, but never was good enough to play organized b-ball with all my buddies. Only 3 other kids in the hs could dunk (all 6'3 to 6'6), so that was fun. I made it to 5'91/2 at age 20, but now I'm back to 5'9 and, well, a "little" more than 120 . I'm 55 now and still touch the rim (barely) I could have been a good rotation player on to my highschool team now!

CdAZagFan
11-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Was a good in street ball and rec leagues, but definitely not college-level...