PDA

View Full Version : Kenpom in The Athletic on defense and Gonzaga

Ekrub
11-28-2017, 08:25 AM
https://theathletic.com/167724/2017/11/28/kenpom-early-defensive-shooting-trends-bode-well-for-zags/

willandi
11-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Can't finish w/o paying, so I won't.

Pomeroy has always been an athletic supporter.

scrooner
11-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Funny picture. Silas is going for the block, while Zach is...running out of the way? :p

Goshzagit
11-28-2017, 11:42 AM
this is the gist:

Opponents have posted an effective field goal percentage of 44.5, which ranks the Gonzaga defense 42nd nationally. But that figure doesnít tell the whole story. The Bulldogs have allowed opponents to make just 38.8 percent of their 2-point attempts, which ranks ninth. And yet opponents have shot 35.8 percent on their 3-point attempts, ranking the Zags 205th.

Our Coaches and players always preach, "hard 2's" when discussing our defense.

It's their mantra.

Although Florida is going to do what they did vs a lot of teams this year. They were on track to do the same vs Duke until they fatigued in 2nd half. Also, Duke sent their bigs to guard the 3pt line giving Florida easier buckets around the rim, yet the strategy worked over 10 or 12 mins.

Stopped the bleeding from 3pt, yet giving up some penetration or mid-range shots.

hockeyzag
11-28-2017, 01:33 PM
https://theathletic.com/167724/2017/11/28/kenpom-early-defensive-shooting-trends-bode-well-for-zags/
Puhleeeease someone post the rest of this article

ZagNative
11-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Jazz did post the rest of the article, but now it's been deleted. It's not kosher to post an article from behind a paywall.

RenoZag
11-28-2017, 02:32 PM

Doing so would be Copyright violation and a violation of the Terms of Use of the GUB website. Brief excerpts and links are permitted; pasting articles in their entirety is not.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?17050-Please-Read-GUBoards-Rules

gu03alum
11-28-2017, 02:38 PM
I don’t get why we pay for things we pay for but don’t want to pay someone for their work if it’s available on the internet. I see people not paying for cable wanting to get free feeds to the games. This #### ain’t free to make. Writers got to eat. Pay them for their writing.

Reborn
11-28-2017, 03:03 PM
I checked KenPom offensive stats and ranks. Zags were ranked 16th.

hockeyzag
11-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Jazz did post the rest of the article, but now it's been deleted. It's not kosher to post an article from behind a paywall.

I know, youíre right. Itís my crazy Gonzaga fan side that makes me want to break the rules.

Radbooks
11-28-2017, 05:44 PM
I believe you can sign up for a 7 day free trial to check it out.

Zags_Fanatic
11-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Seriously people, sign up for it. I think they have an extra good deal this week. Quality is top notch and you don't have to sift through all the garbage, popup ads, etc. Vecenie is on a tear pushing the GU brand after visiting the Zags for Kraziness in the Kennel and said on his podcast today that he is preparing a long article on Rui that will come out soon.

RenoZag
11-28-2017, 06:07 PM
Seriously people, sign up for it. I think they have an extra good deal this week. Quality is top notch and you don't have to sift through all the garbage, popup ads, etc. Vecenie is on a tear pushing the GU brand after visiting the Zags for Kraziness in the Kennel and said on his podcast today that he is preparing a long article on Rui that will come out soon.

I signed up after seeing a few "samples" via Seth Davis' twitter feed. Find it better than "The Ringer" and am considering dumping the ESPN Insider subscription. I like Vecenie too.

Zags_Fanatic
11-28-2017, 06:13 PM
I signed up after seeing a few "samples" via Seth Davis' twitter feed. Find it better than "The Ringer" and am considering dumping the ESPN Insider subscription. I like Vecenie too.

The trick to ESPN is to get an amazing deal on the magazine which comes with Insider subscription. I see deals all the time where you can get an annual subscription for $4-6. Once you get the first issue punch the ESN# from the address label and you are good to go. A lot of those deals let you sign up for multiple years at that price, too.

MDABE80
11-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Well, compared to last years team, the D isn't going to win a lot of games. Average in man.. Zone a bit better. 111 pts put up? Not exactly a strong showing. Hope it improves.

Zags_Fanatic
11-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Well, compared to last years team, the D isn't going to win a lot of games. Average in man.. Zone a bit better. 111 pts put up? Not exactly a strong showing. Hope it improves.

To be fair, they held an incredible Florida offense to 29 pts in the first half and then even when the wheels came off and they hit every 3 pointer they threw up it was 78 at the end of regulation which was almost 30 below their average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phxfireflames
11-29-2017, 08:19 AM

I also have a subscription with the Athletic. Many top CBB writers tranistioned over like Davis, Vecenie, & O'neil. Well worth the $$ especially when you get articles by Ken Pompery!

titopoet
11-29-2017, 10:08 AM
I donít get why we pay for things we pay for but donít want to pay someone for their work if itís available on the internet. I see people not paying for cable wanting to get free feeds to the games. This #### ainít free to make. Writers got to eat. Pay them for their writing.

Amen

DixieZag
11-29-2017, 10:17 AM
To be fair, they held an incredible Florida offense to 29 pts in the first half and then even when the wheels came off and they hit every 3 pointer they threw up it was 78 at the end of regulation which was almost 30 below their average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should we also mention that on 2 three pters that they did miss, we got called for blocking out fouls, putting their missed 3s on the line for double bonus FTs, AND, the first 5 pt play I've seen in quite a while?

MDABE80
11-29-2017, 11:12 AM
I'm standing corrected. Actually we got killed in the OT. Did ok ( considering how FL is a scoring machine) in Regulation. Dang I wish we'd have won that game. One thing is quite obvious. We have a high caliber team that could have won that tournament.

CdAZagFan
11-29-2017, 08:40 PM
One thing is quite obvious. We have a high caliber team that could have won that tournament.

Duke is pretty good - watched them pull away late again against Michigan. Would have been fun to see how the Zags would have matched up.

gu03alum
11-30-2017, 06:43 AM
Duke is pretty good - watched them pull away late again against Michigan. Would have been fun to see how the Zags would have matched up.

Duke played Indiana. You watched UNC beat Michigan.