PDA

View Full Version : Empty Seats

Zagricultural
11-27-2017, 12:49 PM
One thing I've noticed the last few home games is the amount of empty seats. Why don't people get someone to use the seats if they are unable to attend? I live about an hour away, and would be beyond excited to purchase tickets to any game at face value! I'm sure many of you would too. Sort of sad to see those seats empty at tip-off.

WallaWallaZag
11-27-2017, 01:03 PM
One thing I've noticed the last few home games is the amount of empty seats. Why don't people get someone to use the seats if they are unable to attend? I live about an hour away, and would be beyond excited to purchase tickets to any game at face value! I'm sure many of you would too. Sort of sad to see those seats empty at tip-off.

they usually eventually do get filled up...the social set

Zagricultural
11-27-2017, 04:15 PM
they usually eventually do get filled up...the social set

That's probably true, but I bet there'll be lots of empty ones all game on Wednesday night. Anyhow, I didn't mean to offend anyone. ( one star rating :) People pay big money for the right to those seats, and they certainly don't owe the rest of us anything. In fact I know many people do give those tickets out, and I've even been given the opportunity to buy some and attend a game which I really appreciated. Just something I noticed.

AirborneJag
11-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Pretty typical Spokane culture - come late and leave early. Really surprising given the overall true cost of season tickets. I’ve had season tickets since the the MAC opened and drive from the TriCities to catch the games. I can make it before tip off but many who live in Spokane can’t. As for giving away tickets, I don’t know any season ticket holders that do that. Most I know sell them, and despite the rules prohibiting such conduct do so well over face value. I don’t sell mine; I just give them away.

Zagsker
11-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Pretty typical Spokane culture - come late and leave early. Really surprising given the overall true cost of season tickets. Iíve had season tickets since the the MAC opened and drive from the TriCities to catch the games. I can make it before tip off but many who live in Spokane canít. As for giving away tickets, I donít know any season ticket holders that do that. Most I know sell them, and despite the rules prohibiting such conduct do so well over face value. I donít sell mine; I just give them away.

Prove it...I would love to go the Creighton game;)

sylean
11-27-2017, 08:43 PM
similar to the girls games...batches of lower tier seats empty...I'm sure some well meaning people buy tickets to "support" the team...many are simply ticket buyers, not necessarily fans...

Zags_Fanatic
11-27-2017, 09:20 PM
I can only speak for my cozy little section in the upper half of 113 but I haven't seen any empty seats this season. I see people leaving early which I have a hard time understanding, but the level of competition at home so far hasn't exactly been stellar.

Gonezagaga
11-27-2017, 09:50 PM
6:00 pm tip times might be hard to make for people who have to work until 6:00. Just sayin’.

Zagdawg
11-28-2017, 07:21 PM
Husky BBall 10 minutes before tip.....

https://twitter.com/ryan_s_clark/status/935687346741063680

sittingon50
11-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Guess I'm gonna' have to lay off Pepperdine now....

Zagger
11-29-2017, 05:43 AM
Itís too bad there hasnít bee a good way to fill/sell empty seats. GU might make some decent change by being able to sell the seats - if not channeling in $ to those who have paid for them. The ZAG club does a fairly good job of announcing availability of tickets and getting them sold (excepting that there were still tickets for tonightís game against Incarnate Word available yesterday). Weíre going tonight via season tickets of some pals. When GU plays little known schools like IW demand for tickets drops off. IMHO thatís a slice of the pie for why weíre not seeing BIS games. But, there are no ZAG club tickets available for Fridayís 7:15 PM tip-off against Creighton. Youíll likely see a few empty seats tonight but not on Friday.

TexasZagFan
11-29-2017, 06:33 AM
Guess I'm gonna' have to lay off Pepperdine now....

Why? Too many night surfers out there? lol

According to Bud Withers, Pepperdine's a "flaccid" member of the WCC.

Zaglaw
11-29-2017, 11:46 AM
As for giving away tickets, I don’t know any season ticket holders that do that. Most I know sell them, and despite the rules prohibiting such conduct do so well over face value. I don’t sell mine; I just give them away.

We always give our tickets away, gratis, if we can't make a game. I want butts in the seats.

CDC84
11-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Not enough people around to carry people out of the Herak Club to their seats............

jbslicer
11-29-2017, 12:58 PM
6:00 pm tip times might be hard to make for people who have to work until 6:00. Just sayiní.

If you're not there by six, I'm moving up a row.

Sarenyon
11-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Watching on the W.tv and shows the Kennel area. WOW! I think there was more kennel club members in attendance in '96 when I was there. I know its UIW, but still, gotta show up for the Zags!

A certain twitter user might call it #sad

ZagsGoZags
11-29-2017, 08:55 PM
What about a Kennel Club Standby provision?
Ten or Fifteen minutes after tip off, people in this line get to buy the empty seats in the Kennel Club area.
Would also reduce late student arrivals.
would make money for the program
would allow fans the RARE opportunity to see the zags play a season game in the Kennel
would show that they value this fat opportunity to service the fan base, most of which cannot see zag games EVER.

on the other hand, I am sure there is a good reason not to, maybe it would break some by-laws or something
anyway when a fan sees empty seats in the Kennel, the contradiction between that and hard it is to see their team
provokes imagining and searching for a possible win-win solution out of this.

Fonebone
11-29-2017, 09:30 PM

Hereís the flipside of the story. I talked to at least 10 people the last two days trying to give away one ticket to the game tonight. Most people were interested but were busy and had other things going. Youíll probably say well theyíre really not Zag fans but thatís just the situation. Itís really not uncommon at all for me to have trouble giving tickets away. About half the people I talk to really do love to go to games but they just had other stuff schedule.

I spent a fair amount of time trying to get rid of the ticket and eventually I just give up. Iíve got a lot of other stuff to do and Iíll spend a certain mount of time and then Iíll simply just give up.

So thatís a little bit of perspective of the story. Itís not like season-ticket holderís donít give a darn and donít care and donít try to give the tickets away sometimes it just doesnít work out. I usually take the extra ticket to the game and if I see someone standing outside Iíll just give it to them but about half the time or more thereís nobody outside either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagdawg
11-29-2017, 09:32 PM
Probably the poorest attended game (while school is in session) by students since I have had my season tickets -- hoping they are saving their energy for the Friday game.

Notice a number of what looked like high school teams in the stands in the student section that was not occupied by students.

All Weather Fan
11-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Definitely the poorest attended game (while school in session) since the Mac opened ! This trend started last season when we were able to purchase extra tickets to most conference games not against St. Marys or BYU. One would think the students and faculty would clamor for their ticket allotment to watch the 15th ranked team in the country who just played in the National Championship game. Tonight was an all time low though. I purchased 4 extra tickets last week and could have bought more yesterday. Concerning........

sittingon50
11-29-2017, 10:38 PM
Kennel Club leadership better get it figured out.

Zagceo
11-29-2017, 10:42 PM
Hard for students to get excited when so many Washington Generals on the schedule.

Lets see how many empty seats Friday.

ZagNation
11-29-2017, 10:49 PM
Definitely the poorest attended game (while school in session) since the Mac opened ! This trend started last season when we were able to purchase extra tickets to most conference games not against St. Marys or BYU. One would think the students and faculty would clamor for their ticket allotment to watch the 15th ranked team in the country who just played in the National Championship game. Tonight was an all time low though. I purchased 4 extra tickets last week and could have bought more yesterday. Concerning........

Good thing Gonzaga didn't build a larger arena.

bartruff1
11-29-2017, 11:49 PM
Had they played Eastern it would have been full....or Seattle U.....;)

Zags11
11-29-2017, 11:53 PM
Its because ppl expect wins even more so and it was crappy team.

Mantua
11-30-2017, 12:32 AM
I was excited about seeing the bench perform in this game. They seemed to have learned a little from the tournament. If we had started the season with mostly returning stars on the team blowouts wouldnít have as much to offer.

Iíd like to see fans turn out to supporters the players.

Stache
11-30-2017, 05:19 AM
Moda was louder than kennel. It was odd last night. Dead week before finals and overmatched opponent, but the student section has been there in full voice for so long that it was just weird to see and hear it at something so far below its capacity. Itís easy to become spoiled.

509er
11-30-2017, 05:58 AM
Here’s the flipside of the story. I talked to at least 10 people the last two days trying to give away one ticket to the game tonight. Most people were interested but were busy and had other things going. You’ll probably say well they’re really not Zag fans but that’s just the situation. It’s really not uncommon at all for me to have trouble giving tickets away. About half the people I talk to really do love to go to games but they just had other stuff schedule.

I spent a fair amount of time trying to get rid of the ticket and eventually I just give up. I’ve got a lot of other stuff to do and I’ll spend a certain mount of time and then I’ll simply just give up.

So that’s a little bit of perspective of the story. It’s not like season-ticket holder’s don’t give a darn and don’t care and don’t try to give the tickets away sometimes it just doesn’t work out. I usually take the extra ticket to the game and if I see someone standing outside I’ll just give it to them but about half the time or more there’s nobody outside either.

6-7 years ago there were a lot of true Zag fans who live locally that had never set foot in the kennel and would have dropped just about anything they were doing to go to a game, even if it was UIW (sounds like a labor union to me) including school plays, work dinners etc. By now, most of them have had opportunities to get to the kennel and it's just not as exciting to go to a game like this. Friday night for Creighton, the school play can wait.

Hoopaholic
11-30-2017, 06:12 AM
6-7 years ago there were a lot of true Zag fans who live locally that had never set foot in the kennel and would have dropped just about anything they were doing to go to a game, even if it was UIW (sounds like a labor union to me) including school plays, work dinners etc. By now, most of them have had opportunities to get to the kennel and it's just not as exciting to go to a game like this.

I am still in that "older category" and would drop anything to go to any game..........

Zagricultural
11-30-2017, 07:04 AM
Hereís the flipside of the story. I talked to at least 10 people the last two days trying to give away one ticket to the game tonight. Most people were interested but were busy and had other things going. Youíll probably say well theyíre really not Zag fans but thatís just the situation. Itís really not uncommon at all for me to have trouble giving tickets away. About half the people I talk to really do love to go to games but they just had other stuff schedule.

I spent a fair amount of time trying to get rid of the ticket and eventually I just give up. Iíve got a lot of other stuff to do and Iíll spend a certain mount of time and then Iíll simply just give up.

So thatís a little bit of perspective of the story. Itís not like season-ticket holderís donít give a darn and donít care and donít try to give the tickets away sometimes it just doesnít work out. I usually take the extra ticket to the game and if I see someone standing outside Iíll just give it to them but about half the time or more thereís nobody outside either.

Appreciate the perspective. It's hard for me to imagine, as I'd drop pretty much anything to make it to a game.

AirborneJag
11-30-2017, 07:20 AM
We always give our tickets away, gratis, if we can't make a game. I want butts in the seats.

Thatís great! Thank you for being so generous.

Fonebone
11-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Appreciate the perspective. It's hard for me to imagine, as I'd drop pretty much anything to make it to a game.

Me too. I schedule everything around the games. I never leave early, even if we are 40 points ahead. I treasure every moment, and I find it really interesting just to watch the game carefully, its actually a learning experience to watch the subtleties of each player, and how they function together. Its fun to try to understand anything more fully, and doing it watching great basketball is a double bonus.

ZagsGoZags
11-30-2017, 08:25 PM
it is for that reason I watch every game at least twice, and keep the DVR copy all season

willandi
11-30-2017, 09:06 PM
I am still in that "older category" and would drop anything to go to any game..........

I am in that category too, and wish I could drop everything, but having a small, local store, mid afternoon games (other than on Sundays or Mondays) are virtually impossible. 5 and 6 pm games are also kind of rough, with the need to get there early and be able to park. Plus we live in Deer Park, so leaving and getting home becomes very late. The dogs get so upset at not being able to go out or eat. LOL