PDA

View Full Version : PK80 Grades from CBS Matt Norlander

irishzag_09
11-27-2017, 08:23 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/pk80-notebook-grades-takeaways-on-all-16-teams-from-college-basketballs-mega-event/

willandi
11-27-2017, 08:36 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/pk80-notebook-grades-takeaways-on-all-16-teams-from-college-basketballs-mega-event/

The one thing not mentioned, and it irked the crap out of me, is why, with two venues so close to each other, they didn't schedule the games properly. Having the Zags games scheduled to start 2 hours after the first game on the same court, was physically impossible, and a big negative for me.

They easily could have scheduled the games 2 1/2 hours apart, with one venue starting 1/2 hour after the other.

Did I mention how much this irked me?

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 09:10 AM
The one thing not mentioned, and it irked the crap out of me, is why, with two venues so close to each other, they didn't schedule the games properly. Having the Zags games scheduled to start 2 hours after the first game on the same court, was physically impossible, and a big negative for me.

They easily could have scheduled the games 2 1/2 hours apart, with one venue starting 1/2 hour after the other.

What irked me were all the popup ads accompanying the article...I thought I was playing whack-a-mole.

Hoopaholic
11-27-2017, 09:27 AM

because it allowed me to go between venues and see the other teams playing......i think the intent was to allow the customers the ability to see as much and as many games as possible......

willandi
11-27-2017, 09:36 AM
because it allowed me to go between venues and see the other teams playing......i think the intent was to allow the customers the ability to see as much and as many games as possible......

It wouldn't have changed any of that. It just would have meant scheduling the games a little differently.

Hoopaholic
11-27-2017, 10:13 AM
It wouldn't have changed any of that. It just would have meant scheduling the games a little differently.

not sure how.........the splits allowed fans to migrate and watch most of a game in one venue and then walk the 30 steps to the other venue to catch the start of a new game......short of scheduling to ensure no game overlaps that woul dhave created logitical nightmare not only for fans, but for referee's etc..........

I was very happy with the format, scheduling and got to watch ALOT of great basketball

SteelCityZag
11-27-2017, 10:27 AM
"Josh Perkins is a player I've undeniably underrated. His composure is unflinching"

Love Perk and thought his play was very good...elite for long stretches. But I think I might have seen him flinch, at least once :)

75Zag
11-27-2017, 10:38 AM
PK80 was the best pre-season tournament I have ever attended and I have done my share of those events. The only annoyance was that due to rules about no "re-entry", I was unable to walk back and forth between the Moda Center and the Veteran's Memorial facility to watch the most exciting game at the moment.
Next year the Maui tournament will feature Arizona, Auburn, Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, San Diego State and Xavier. It will not be the equal of Phil Knight's Birthday Party, but it will be darn close.

See you on the beach!

Go Bulldogs!

Hoopaholic
11-27-2017, 10:41 AM
PK80 was the best pre-season tournament I have ever attended and I have done my share of those events. The only annoyance was that due to rules about no "re-entry", I was unable to walk back and forth between the Moda Center and the Veteran's Memorial facility to watch the most exciting game at the moment.
Next year the Maui tournament will feature Arizona, Auburn, Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, San Diego State and Xavier. It will not be the equal of Phil Knight's Birthday Party, but it will be darn close.

See you on the beach!

Go Bulldogs!

the inconsistency was evident all three days...I walked back and forth during same session.....simply asked them to scan me out before I left

We had a smaller baby back pack for bottle, diapers etc for my 1 year old grand son....no problems until sunday afternoon.....inconsistencies but not unheard of when such an event is put together

WallaWallaZag
11-27-2017, 12:07 PM
"Josh Perkins is a player I've undeniably underrated. His composure is unflinching"

Love Perk and thought his play was very good...elite for long stretches. But I think I might have seen him flinch, at least once :)

writer must have missed the end of regulation against texas...but it's nice to pick up learning moments while still getting a "w"

CDC84
11-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Unlike some other people, I don't believe this event will ever be staged in another city, and I question if it will be staged again period. It is hard to get this many teams to commit. Part of what made this event work was having the two arenas adjacent to each other. People just had to walk. There is no other American city that I am aware of that has two big sized arenas right next to each other besides Portland. You need to have venues that hold at least 12,000 each, with preferably an 18,000 seater for the bigger games. Milwaukee has the Mecca Arena and the Bradley Center, but the Bradley Center will be torn down soon. Detroit has Cobo Hall and Joe Louis Arena, but JLA is going to be torn down soon. I don't think an event like this works if the two venues are too far away from one another. You want to create a package so that fans can buy tickets to EVERY game so that they can walk from one arena to the next depending on what game they wish to watch.

Secondly, this event is to honor Phil Knight. Phil was born in Oregon, and the company is in Oregon.

Lastly, Norlander doesn't understand that Calipari and other big time coaches have a long history of avoiding holiday tournaments for various reasons. They simply don't want to do them. Calipari wanted no part of this event. Also, you have all these other tournaments like the champions classic and the CBS Sports Classic that could create situations where if Kansas participated in the PK tourney, they might play Duke twice in the same season. They probably don't want to do that.

thespywhozaggedme
11-27-2017, 01:11 PM
So am I the only one that thought it was absurd that the two champions didn't play one another for an overall tourney champ?

Hoopaholic
11-27-2017, 01:25 PM
So am I the only one that thought it was absurd that the two champions didn't play one another for an overall tourney champ?

would have been ideal but would have added a fourth game to two teams and that creates unbalanced scheduling issues

Hoopaholic
11-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Unlike some other people, I don't believe this event will ever be staged in another city, and I question if it will be staged again period. It is hard to get this many teams to commit. Part of what made this event work was having the two arenas adjacent to each other. People just had to walk. There is no other American city that I am aware of that has two big sized arenas right next to each other besides Portland. You need to have venues that hold at least 12,000 each, with preferably an 18,000 seater for the bigger games. Milwaukee has the Mecca Arena and the Bradley Center, but the Bradley Center will be torn down soon. Detroit has Cobo Hall and Joe Louis Arena, but JLA is going to be torn down soon. I don't think an event like this works if the two venues are too far away from one another. You want to create a package so that fans can buy tickets to EVERY game so that they can walk from one arena to the next depending on what game they wish to watch.

Secondly, this event is to honor Phil Knight. Phil was born in Oregon, and the company is in Oregon.

Lastly, Norlander doesn't understand that Calipari and other big time coaches have a long history of avoiding holiday tournaments for various reasons. They simply don't want to do them. Calipari wanted no part of this event. Also, you have all these other tournaments like the champions classic and the CBS Sports Classic that could create situations where if Kansas participated in the PK tourney, they might play Duke twice in the same season. They probably don't want to do that.

the venue is what made it appealing and unique......truly 50 yards apart with parking garages adjacent to both arena's.........was awesome

Birddog
11-27-2017, 02:33 PM
There is no other American city that I am aware of that has two big sized arenas right next to each other besides Portland. You need to have venues that hold at least 12,000 each, with preferably an 18,000 seater for the bigger games.

OKC, the Chesapeake Arena is across the street from the Cox Center. The Cox Center is scheduled to be demolished down the road though.

DixieZag
11-27-2017, 02:36 PM

I believe there's an NCAA rule limiting intra-season tournaments to no more than 3 games.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-27-2017, 03:40 PM
I believe there's an NCAA rule limiting intra-season tournaments to no more than 3 games.

There is also a rule that prohibits conference foes from playing in the same tournament. If the two champions met, there might have been a Duke-NC or similar matchup.

Bogozags
11-27-2017, 03:52 PM
would have been ideal but would have added a fourth game to two teams and that creates unbalanced scheduling issues

I believe the main reason the two champions didn’t play each other was that this tournament’s three games per school only counted as one game on their 27 game schedule...I’m sure if they played four games then that would have counted as four games vice just the one.

Section 116
11-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Irish, that was a good read.

Zagsker
11-27-2017, 04:34 PM

The Kennel and the Arena....let's do it

75Zag
11-27-2017, 06:12 PM
My friends at Nike told me 4 or 5 years ago about the potential of a PK80 and you might even be able to find some of my nonsensical posts on this blog about that. If Phil K. makes it to 90 (or even better 100) I could imagine the event being re-created, but otherwise, no chance. It was unfortunate that Kentucky and Louisville were not at PK 80, but are they Nike schools?

PS - NCAA rules prohibit two teams from the same conference playing each other except during the regular season or in a conference tournament or in the NCAA Tournament. That is why PK80 had two divisions and no playoff because the playoff could have resulted in a Duke vs. UNC game (or a GU vs. UP game), which is prohibited.

Go Bulldogs!

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 06:14 PM
My friends at Nike told me 4 or 5 years ago about the potential of a PK80 and you might even be able to find some of my nonsensical posts on that subject about that long ago. If Phil K. makes it to 90 or even better 100 I could imagine the event being re-created, but otherwise, no chance. It was unfortunate that Kentucky and Louisville were not at PK 80, but are they Nike schools?

Go Bulldogs!

UL is Adidas...for now...lol.

75Zag
11-27-2017, 06:36 PM
Perhaps Adidas will host a huge NCAA basketball tournament in honor of the 80th birthday of the man or woman who founded Adidas.

So long as the tournament is not held in Berlin, I will probably be there.

Go Bulldogs!

JPtheBeasta
11-27-2017, 06:48 PM

I would just arrange the 4th game under the auspices of the UNC African American Studies department- they could play a fake game for a fake championship that still counts somehow.

Markburn1
11-27-2017, 08:03 PM
The tournament was unreal. The proximity of the arenas, the quality of the basketball and the energy in the building was electric.

I've seen a lot of basketball in my life. There is nothing better than seeing it live. The Zags and Florida put on a spectacular show.

Now, for the downside. Portland is an absolute S#$T hole. The streets are a garbage dump and you can't walk without bumping into smelly human beings that would just as soon maul you as ask for a quarter. You can't walk through the river park without stepping on syringes and on the other side of the river graffiti is everywhere along with tent cities and garbage, Did I already mention the garbage? When you ride the transit train from the MODA Center to the airport, there is a tent city on nearly every underpass along with the requisite garbage. People urinating and defecating in full view is routine. The town smells like a toilet and we decided not to spend money in the restaurants or the shops because supporting a city like that goes against my grain. That place is driving people away and I will not be going back unless I can bunk inside the MODA Center. And the garbage. Sheesh. The bloom is off the Rose.

Zagceo
11-27-2017, 08:24 PM
Vegas has ....T-Mobile Arena.....MGM...

better weather...direct flights

scrooner
11-27-2017, 08:51 PM
Weird, I've been living in Portland for 20 years and haven't seen anyone pee or poop in public yet. I guess I don't know the cool places to hang out.

MDABE80
11-27-2017, 09:30 PM
https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/Gonzaga-Put-Together-An-Impressive-Performance-At-The-PK80-111273688

Markburn1
11-28-2017, 06:46 AM
Weird, I've been living in Portland for 20 years and haven't seen anyone pee or poop in public yet. I guess I don't know the cool places to hang out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5122441/Death-threats-public-defecation-worry-Portland-store.html

A few days ago, one of our employees had to run into traffic when a stranger outside our office followed her and threatened to kill her,' he said.

He added that the company's employees have suffered so many break-ins that they've started referring to parking in the area as a 'laptop donation program.'

'Given these experiences, it is a relief when the only thing we are dealing with is the garbage and human waste by our front door,' he wrote.

'Think about that for a minute.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5122441/Death-threats-public-defecation-worry-Portland-store.html#ixzz4zk3GaYML
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This article was written this morning.

mgadfly
11-28-2017, 07:15 AM
Duke won the Championship on Nov. 14th in Chicago 88-81. How cool would it have been if they'd scheduled that game for this week (following the PK 80) rather than before the tournament.

And I think anyone who says there is "no chance" of a similar event being done at some time in the future is kidding themselves. It'd be difficult, but there is no reason a tournament needs two arenas with seating at 12k+, and there is no shortage of good teams that would play if the price is right. Anything is possible especially where the payout can be huge.

Super awesome tournament to be at.

CDC84
11-28-2017, 07:29 AM
OKC, the Chesapeake Arena is across the street from the Cox Center. The Cox Center is scheduled to be demolished down the road though.

Yes, didn't they use to call that the Myriad Arena or something like that? It was the site of Bryce Drew's famous NCAA tournament shot.

Zagnificent
11-28-2017, 07:33 AM
The tournament was unreal. The proximity of the arenas, the quality of the basketball and the energy in the building was electric.

I've seen a lot of basketball in my life. There is nothing better than seeing it live. The Zags and Florida put on a spectacular show.

Now, for the downside. Portland is an absolute S#$T hole. The streets are a garbage dump and you can't walk without bumping into smelly human beings that would just as soon maul you as ask for a quarter. You can't walk through the river park without stepping on syringes and on the other side of the river graffiti is everywhere along with tent cities and garbage, Did I already mention the garbage? When you ride the transit train from the MODA Center to the airport, there is a tent city on nearly every underpass along with the requisite garbage. People urinating and defecating in full view is routine. The town smells like a toilet and we decided not to spend money in the restaurants or the shops because supporting a city like that goes against my grain. That place is driving people away and I will not be going back unless I can bunk inside the MODA Center. And the garbage. Sheesh. The bloom is off the Rose.

We need to be tolerant of the junkie bums that harass tourists and turn the streets to filth. Who are you to judge the way they live? /s

Seriously though. Portland is a dump. I once saw this beast of a woman drop trou right on the sidewalk and let lose like a fire hydrant right into the gutter. I never want to go back there again. Portland needs to check itself.

Birddog
11-28-2017, 07:49 AM
Yes, didn't they use to call that the Myriad Arena or something like that? It was the site of Bryce Drew's famous NCAA tournament shot.

Yep it was born in '72 and was called the Myriad for years . It seats about 15K. It was renamed after naming rights became a necessity for extra $$. The "Peake" was originally the "Ford".

CDC84
11-28-2017, 07:57 AM
Vegas has ....T-Mobile Arena.....MGM...

better weather...direct flights

It's still not the same as having two arenas that are right next door to each other. For me, 70% of the uniqueness and charm of the PK event was the fact that even if you were an elderly man, you could walk right next door and see another game. It wouldn't be the same if people had to battle crazy traffic and everything else to get to the next venue to take in the 2nd half of another game.

Plus, I think if the Big Ten Commish were to try a PK event again, it would be in some place like Indianapolis or Chicago. More central. Norlander kind of suggested this.

I also feel the competition aspect of the PK event was overrated as I knew it would be. The Great Alaska Shootout back in the day had fields that were better than PK because they had all the power but not the dead wood. It's hard to pick 18 teams two or three years in advance and to know they will all be very good. And again, certain teams that are always good (Kentucky) refuse to play in these events, and any tournament organizer has to keep in mind that teams like UNC and Michigan State are locked into events each year where they play each other. Not an easy thing to organize.

I could see it maybe happening again, but it wouldn't involve Phil Knight. They would base it around something else.

scrooner
11-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Well, yeah, downtown Portland is a "S#$T hole". Nobody goes there unless they absolutely have to.

dadair
11-28-2017, 08:24 AM

I guess one sees what one wants to see. I spend a lot of time in Portland and have never experienced the conditions you describe.

Ebay
11-28-2017, 08:33 AM
That place is driving people away

http://www.kptv.com/story/36863360/report-oregons-population-continues-to-grow-as-more-people-move-from-out-of-state

Just the opposite actually...

I love living in Portland, but I will admit the Rose Quarter is in some dire need of improvements. You should have ventured a couple miles north to Mississippi/Alberta or across the bridge into NW 21st/23rd. The restaurant scene is pretty phenomenal to be honest. Bummer that Portland left a sour taste in your mouth. But honestly, most Portlanders(myself included) are totally cool with people not wanting to come visit because so many decide to eventually move here as referenced in the article.

Markburn1
11-28-2017, 09:35 AM
I guess one sees what one wants to see. I spend a lot of time in Portland and have never experienced the conditions you describe.

Nah. I saw things I didn't want to see.

When I visit a city, I do a lot of walking. We stayed in a little motel right across the street from the MODA. We walked across the bridge and walked upriver through old town. Not thirty seconds in, some guy was hosing down the sidewalk in plain view. That was definitely an experience. It was not safe and it was filthy. I expected it to get better entering the downtown area, but the filth and the panhandlers were everywhere. Cardboard boxes where they had slept with piles of trash were omnipresent. People sleeping by heater vents on the sidewalk made for detours on the street so you didn't step on them. We walked up and back on the streets from 2nd to thirteenth as we climbed up the hill. Even the beautiful Presbyterian church had trash in the grates surrounding the building. We then walked down the hill to the river and walked across the park. My son dodged a used syringe in the park there. We walked across the Morrison bridge and made our way along the river back to the Broadway bridge. All along the walk was graffiti, tents, piles of garbage and stench. Not good.

I saw everything at ground level. Spending a lot of time in Portland means different things to different people. If you stay at the Marriott and only venture out to the finest restaurants you get a different perspective. Having said that, if you are in the downtown area for any time at all, you can't miss the desolation.

That city has lost it's way. It is not compassionate to allow people to live like that. There is no dignity in that.

Sorry for this on a sports thread, but the title is PK80 grades and the Rose city gets a failing grade.

Hoopaholic
11-28-2017, 09:39 AM

unfortunately my father and I had the same view.....filth, homelessness, garbage, graffitii Dad had not been to Portland the last 10 years and he was particularly disappointed in the direction the City had taken and actually stated as we crossed the bridge into Vancouver "I dont need to go back to that city again...unless PK81 is there next year"............

BurgessEraZag
11-28-2017, 10:17 AM
So sad. For us old folks, we remember the Rose City in spring as a wonderful place to be. Oregon zoo may be one of the best in the country.
Living in the Tri-Cities in eastern Washington if my wife or myself need serious medical care I'd go to Oregon Health Services University up the hill from Portland State. Wow, world class medical.
Just so disappointed in what once was a great city. Oh, the Oregonian used to be one of the best newspapers in the country and now is a mere shadow of it's former self.

scrooner
11-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Yep, Portland sucks. Definitely don't move here!

The Oregonian is turrible.

amaronizag
11-28-2017, 10:54 AM
I had a great time in Portland. It's a beautiful city with lots to offer. Very clean with some pockets where homeless people are concentrated. One of those pockets is between downtown and the Rose Quarter so traffic flows through it whether using the fantastic public transportation system, walking, or driving. Poverty and homeless people are a fact in the USA. It occurs in ALL US cities. People don't want to look at it, or face the fact that it's way too common in the USA, regardless of where you live. We need to fix OUR system that created it, not ignore it.

The PK80 Tournament was one of a kind in the perfect location. The talent level was off the charts. Great teams, great games, great crowds, perfect location. I have to believe it will happen again because the event was too great and no other city has two facilities in close enough proximity to pull it off. Because the two facilities were so close together, I was able to attend 13 games in the three days of games.

The FL guards are really good, but we should have beat FL and would have given Duke a run for the money. Our lack of depth and experience showed, but I was proud of how well we played and that we bounced back after a hard loss to FL.

Lots of great players at PK80. Bagly Jr. is the real deal, a man among boys, and I don't see anyone more talented than him in the 2018 NBA draft. Wow was he good!! Allen was also really good. They are NBA players for sure and Duke will be hard to beat this year. Michigan St has really good guards that play lock down defense and incredible bigs. I don't remember Izzo ever having a more highly skilled team playing this well so early in the season. Best tournament I've ever watched, excluding NCAA tournaments.

Portland State was a pleasant surprise. Ryan didn't have a great tournament but the team showed really well.

Too many talented players and great games to list at PK80 and I don't want to dwell on the past. GU will gain confidence from all of their PK80 bright spots, learn from their weak spots, and focus on winning the next 4 games. This team is thin, but has lots of talent and can score with the best of them. Lots of good basketball to come.

Markburn1
11-28-2017, 11:14 AM
" Very clean with some pockets where homeless people are concentrated."

As I stated before, riding the transit train into and out of the city was an eight mile trip. Every couple of hundred yards there were homeless camps. You would have to be willfully blind to not see it.

And no, excusing the problem by saying it's everywhere is a red herring. We're specifically talking about Portland. It's also incorrect. There are large parts of the country without this infestation.

You are spot on about the basketball. Terrific stuff.

gu03alum
11-28-2017, 11:47 AM
I love visiting Portland. I have been there 3 times in the last year. Portland is a beer and restaurant mecca. I can't wait to go back.

I'm not really sure how Portland is much different than other major cities. I have spent a lot of time in Seattle, Spokane, Washington DC and to a lesser extent LA, Austin, and Denver, and I don't see the homeless issue as any different in those cities than Portland. It sucks that so many people are forced to live on the streets. I don't think there is an easy solution and I'm sure Portland is working hard to try to help these people.

My wife, daughter and I saw a man peeing on a wall when we were leaving the Moda Center on Thursday. My wife was upset, but I told her that this person might have mental health issues and I'm sure that it must be difficult to find a restroom. I told her it's sad that he isn't with his family on Thanksgiving and instead living on the street. I'm trying to teach my daughter to have empathy for those of us who are less fortunate.

ZionZag
11-28-2017, 11:51 AM

84...what about Las Vegas....Sorry, I should read the other post first....

Norwester
11-28-2017, 12:01 PM
" Very clean with some pockets where homeless people are concentrated."

As I stated before, riding the transit train into and out of the city was an eight mile trip. Every couple of hundred yards there were homeless camps. You would have to be willfully blind to not see it.

And no, excusing the problem by saying it's everywhere is a red herring. We're specifically talking about Portland. It's also incorrect. There are large parts of the country without this infestation.

You are spot on about the basketball. Terrific stuff.

The dream is still alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX8BsX3IIa4

zagfan24
11-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Great basketball. Zags acquitted themselves well, I think...despite the loss and the ugliness of the last few minutes against Texas, they came away 2-1 against 3 power conference teams and were one FT away from beating a very good Florida team. I hope that some iteration of this type of tournament can continue, even if done elsewhere. I actually think Milwaukee could potentially pull it off when the new Bucks stadium is built; depending on when the Bradley center is torn down...they could still use the Mecca either way. But I'm biased :)

As far as the homelessness issue, it's important to remember that 25-30% of the homeless suffer from mental illness. 8-12% are veterans. 10-15% are fleeing domestic violence. I don't think the Jesuit response to homelessness should be disgust. Yes, it's a huge issue worth addressing...but ostracizing and rejecting doesn't accomplish anything.

Hoopaholic
11-28-2017, 01:00 PM
Great basketball. Zags acquitted themselves well, I think...despite the loss and the ugliness of the last few minutes against Texas, they came away 2-1 against 3 power conference teams and were one FT away from beating a very good Florida team. I hope that some iteration of this type of tournament can continue, even if done elsewhere. I actually think Milwaukee could potentially pull it off when the new Bucks stadium is built; depending on when the Bradley center is torn down...they could still use the Mecca either way. But I'm biased :)

As far as the homelessness issue, it's important to remember that 25-30% of the homeless suffer from mental illness. 8-12% are veterans. 10-15% are fleeing domestic violence. I don't think the Jesuit response to homelessness should be disgust. Yes, it's a huge issue worth addressing...but ostracizing and rejecting doesn't accomplish anything.

they other 45% are?????????????

I would disagree with the 30% mental illness....my front line daily experience would have that much higher (and even higher when mixed with substance abuse)..........but society has shrugged its shoulder at that group saying it is decent of us to "let" them live on streets than to create mental health institutions for the betterment of the individual......

willandi
11-28-2017, 01:08 PM
I love visiting Portland. I have been there 3 times in the last year. Portland is a beer and restaurant mecca. I can't wait to go back.

I'm not really sure how Portland is much different than other major cities. I have spent a lot of time in Seattle, Spokane, Washington DC and to a lesser extent LA, Austin, and Denver, and I don't see the homeless issue as any different in those cities than Portland. It sucks that so many people are forced to live on the streets. I don't think there is an easy solution and I'm sure Portland is working hard to try to help these people.

My wife, daughter and I saw a man peeing on a wall when we were leaving the Moda Center on Thursday. My wife was upset, but I told her that this person might have mental health issues and I'm sure that it must be difficult to find a restroom. I told her it's sad that he isn't with his family on Thanksgiving and instead living on the street. I'm trying to teach my daughter to have empathy for those of us who are less fortunate.

Thank you. I don't travel much, and wasn't in Portland, but I do know that Spokane has been having the same problems. They just tried dumping several tons of rocks under I-90 to try and get the homeless out. They then spent a lot more money to remove the rocks that had been put under I-90.

Several homeless were interviewed, and said that the shelters are crowded, and that is where the sick people go, so unless you want to get sick, you stay away. Many said that while the amenities can be nice, the strings that are attached are not. A lot are homeless because of circumstance and not mental illness (although there are those too) and would like to get back on their feet, but aren't wanting to jump the hoops placed in front of them.

Portland is bigger than Spokane and has a milder climate. It is only to be expected that they have more homeless, and probably more of those less able to care for themselves. It is a national problem without an easy solution. I am sure any legitimate ideas would be considered and appreciated...in all cities.

MDABE80
11-28-2017, 01:20 PM

Not burst any bubbles. Forced is not correct. Let's not turn this into a Crosby scrum.....but you're welcome to send checks to the homeless foundation of Portland.;)

john montana
11-28-2017, 01:21 PM
I've lived in Portland for 12 years (granted, I live in the burbs but I am downtown all the time). I travel regularly to Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, San Diego, Columbus, Birmingham, Atlanta, Chattanooga and Knoxville for work (I manage the salesforce for our offices in those locations) and Portland is no where near the craphole described above. It is a great city. Do we have homeless? Yep...so do most major cities. I love this place. I dig Denver too (despite the tent camp that covers the banks of the South Platte through downtown). You can keep your midwest cities...my mother in law lives in Minneapolis so that means I want nothing to do with that place and I despise Chicago. Can't handle the horrendous traffic and cold.

sorry to hear some of you didn't like PDX.

Zagceo
11-28-2017, 03:55 PM
Well the guy who put it together might have another idea.....interesting one at that.

Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis, who has come up with numerous innovative college basketball events -- including last week's 16-team PK80 in Portland -- is tossing around the idea of playing a similar event at Lucas Oil Stadium, only with multiple games happening simultaneously separated by curtains.
Hollis said the hope is to continue the 16-team, two-bracket concept, but do it every three or four years -- like the Ryder Cup in golf.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21596877/michigan-state-ad-mark-hollis-proposes-multiple-games-same