PDA

View Full Version : A little WCC vs Pac-12 Discussion after Turkey Day

irishzag_09
11-27-2017, 08:20 AM
As Turkey Day weekend is behind us, I wouldn't mind opening up a discussion on WCC vs Pac-12 power rankings. I know the perception is that overall, the Pac-12 is better than the WCC. Well, this year, the conference has quite a few games against Pac-12 that I mention below. Currently, KenPom conference rankings shows the following breakout per KenPom.com:

1. Big XII
2. SEC
3. Big East
4. ACC
5. BigTen
6. Pac-12
7. American
8. MWC
9. MVC
10. A-10
11. WCC
12. Colonial
13. Sun Belt
14. Ivy
15. Mid-American
16. Summit

Here are the conference standings of the WCC and Pac-12 per ESPN as of 11/27:

WCC
1. San Diego 5-0
2. Gonzaga 5-1
3. San Francisco 3-1
4. Saint Mary's 5-2
5. BYU 4-2
6. Loyola Marymount 3-2
7. Pacific 3-4
8. Pepperdine 2-4
9. Portland 2-4
10. Santa Clara 1-5

Pac-12
1. Arizona State 6-0
2. Colorado 6-0
3. Washington State 6-0
4. UCLA 5-1
5. Utah 5-1
6. USC 4-1
7. Oregon 5-2
8. Washington 4-2
9. Arizona 3-3
10. Oregon St 3-3
11. Stanford 3-5
12. California 2-4

A few things stand out, San Diego has for the moment been a bright spot, let's see if they can take down San Diego State on Thursday (11/30) at home in the Weight-Loss Center before getting a shot at Colorado on Dec. 12. Those would be huge wins for the WCC. Another big game on the horizon is San Francisco goes to Arizona St. on Dec. 2. A good showing by the Dons even in a loss, could change a little perception with the Sun Devils atop the Pac-12. Saint Mary's has a "are we going to claw our way back into the tournament if the Zags win the WCC" game at California on Dec. 2. Really a loss to the bottom of the Pac-12, though on the road, could spell doom early for WCC getting more than the one automatic bid. Another massive game is BYU getting a shot at Utah on Dec. 16. Can the Cougs beat the Utes? LMU plays Oregon St. Dec. 2, and Washington Dec. 17. Can the Lions find a way to maybe pick up a win against the Pac-12 after getting housed by 20 at Boise St.? Doubtful, but maybe. There are more games too between the conferences, but it's our bottom four (Pacific, Pepperdine, Portland and Santa Clara) vs the top of the Pac-12 currently on the road, so I'm less hopeful.

Personally, with the standings of the Pac-12 with Arizona, Cal, and Oregon State at or Below .500, the loss Saint Mary's took against Washington St. will be a big blow to the WCC, because of this disparity in perception between the two leagues. Sure, Gonzaga is going to get it's chance to go take down Washington in Seattle, but as a league as a whole, when we start talking tournament spots, losses like this could make the WCC a one-bid league this year. Imagine, after all the hype with Jock Landale this year, Saint Mary's gets left out of the NCAA Tournament.

What say all of you? Still a lot of basketball to play, but I'd like to see some more WCC wins vs Pac-12 and MWC so the Zags aren't the only team going to the dance come March.

Birddog
11-27-2017, 08:50 AM
I know the perception is that overall, the Pac-12 is better than the WCC.
Just a reminder that it is afterall "The Conference of Champions"

kitzbuel
11-27-2017, 08:57 AM
It appears that Romar's do less with more is contagious. He must be a carrier.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Birddog
11-27-2017, 09:11 AM
It appears that Romar's do less with more is contagious. He must be a carrier.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

You need to alert the CDC, this could be the dreaded Romar virus.

WallaWallaZag
11-27-2017, 12:55 PM
there is no comparison...no fan of the pac but wcc not even close until the bottom half improve by a lot. even the top half of the wcc looks weak this year, usd surprise not withstanding.