PDA

View Full Version : Incarnate Word

sittingon50
11-27-2017, 07:56 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_the_Incarnate_Word

David Robinson listed as an alum, apparently some connection while playing with the Spurs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Robinson_(basketball)

SWZag
11-27-2017, 08:17 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_the_Incarnate_Word

David Robinson listed as an alum, apparently some connection while playing with the Spurs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Robinson_(basketball)

The Education of David Robinson (http://www.sanantoniomag.com/SAM/March-2012/The-Education-of-David-Robinson/): Spurs royalty David Robinson adds a master's degree to his impressive CV and explains why one of the most successful professional athletes in history decided to go back to school.

Roster (http://uiwcardinals.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball)

75Zag
11-27-2017, 09:44 AM
I have no idea who or what Incarnate Word is, but just guessing they sound like the Kentucky of conservative Catholic basketball. Hopefully next year we can play Opus Dei's varsity squad.

Go Bulldogs!

WallaWallaZag
11-27-2017, 09:56 AM
i actually really really hate this game and it has nothing to do with incarnate word...zags just finished an extremely grueling 3 games in 4 days mega-tournament and then have to play IW on wednesday and then have another big matchup with creighton on friday with only one day of rest...that's just horrible horrible scheduling. haven't looked at IW yet, but if they are any better than texas southern that's just a terrible game to have to play.

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 10:17 AM
i actually really really hate this game and it has nothing to do with incarnate word...zags just finished an extremely grueling 3 games in 4 days mega-tournament and then have to play IW on wednesday and then have another big matchup with creighton on friday with only one day of rest...that's just horrible horrible scheduling. haven't looked at IW yet, but if they are any better than texas southern that's just a terrible game to have to play.

Grueling for the starters, perhaps, not so for the bench. I see it as a nice tune-up for Friday's game.

SteelCityZag
11-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Grueling for the starters, perhaps, not so for the bench. I see it as a nice tune-up for Friday's game.

Have a feeling we will see plenty of bench minutes. Just a hunch.

WallaWallaZag
11-27-2017, 10:25 AM

sure...should be a bench game, but still a distraction from the focus that needs to be on the creighton game...the guys are mentally and physically drained right now.

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Have a feeling we will see plenty of bench minutes. Just a hunch.

That's what most of the OCC is for, unless you're the Zags and you have to establish your "resume" for the Selection Committee.

I'm sure the coaching staff is still trying to figure out the best rotations, and situational lineups, for this team. Once Karno had healed up, there were no questions left, concerning last year's team.

gueastcoast
11-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Initially I wasn't stoked that we played early a.m. on Sunday, but considering this week's scheduling it may prove a blessing. I'll take the extra half-day off. Now, if we'd played in the Motion championship...

sittingon50
11-27-2017, 11:17 AM

Tex. So. #245
WORD #265 (lost to LMU by 4)

Assuming Jesse is healthy, would like to see him get over 20 min. @PG. 20+ for Jeremy & Jacob too.

Hey, the 3 J's. Shootin' J's. I like it. Add Rui & Fewie and there's your starting 5.

bartruff1
11-27-2017, 11:18 AM
It is no more than a scrimmage with officials .....a break from the drudgery of practice and a chance to keep your competitive edge.

sittingon50
11-27-2017, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the follow-up, SW.

WallaWallaZag
11-27-2017, 11:39 AM
It is no more than a scrimmage with officials .....a break from the drudgery of practice and a chance to keep your competitive edge.

that's hardly an issue with only 4 days between the pk80 and creighton...the bluejays are really good, better than expected.

Kiddwell
11-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Didn't Incarnate Word have some kind of big upset a couple years ago? Top 25 team?

:]

titopoet
11-27-2017, 01:31 PM
I have no idea who or what Incarnate Word is, but just guessing they sound like the Kentucky of conservative Catholic basketball. Hopefully next year we can play Opus Dei's varsity squad.

Go Bulldogs!

Jesus... see my wife taught New Testament at GU.

kitzbuel
11-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Jesus... see my wife taught New Testament at GU.

So we have to play Jesus on Wednesday?

kitzbuel
11-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Didn't Incarnate Word have some kind of big upset a couple years ago? Top 25 team?

Don't know about top 25, but they beat Nebraska a few years ago.

WallaWallaZag
11-27-2017, 01:45 PM

:roll:

not sure i like the matchup

DixieZag
11-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Cool fact about David Robinson, about as big a "hero" and good person as one is likely to find in sports, thanks, SW. I've always been a big fan of the Admiral.

Horrible game.

Question to the coaches here: Do you throw out all coaching doctrine and not even really practice/prep for IW and simply talk about what they do, while focus is upon a game plan for Creighton? Make a game plan for IW that is the opposite of the one for Creighton? Somehow link the two to your advantage. Because I'd sure like to think that they'll have more than one day of prep to think about Creighton. Creighton just provided us a huge gift by being better than advertised, losing is NOT an option.

bartruff1
11-27-2017, 02:13 PM
David is not eligible.....I am more worried about Prince Harry's engagement....

bigblahla
11-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Interesting TEAM it's gonna be an open court game....they have a 5' 11" guard and a group of guards 6'4" to 6'7" and a couple forwards 6'6" & 6'7" who get the majority of the PT....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2916/incarnate-word-cardinals

Images of an underdog Portland State creep into my mind...but this TEAM of Zags may be the most gifted offensive squad to ever hit the hardwood at Gonzaga....should be a fun game to watch...if you are a Zag fan that is.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags

DixieZag
11-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Who went out of their way to give this thread one star? Of all the threads ....

bartruff1
11-27-2017, 02:38 PM
You could put in the game plan for Creighton and practice it....they do have a sense of humor...a Catholic school called the Cardinals ..

Big, the team that lost to Portland State had plenty of firepower, but not much chemistry . It was a odd game that nearly wasn't played and PS had to get here in a bus because of the weather....some 5'6" guard made about 7 threes....huge upset... but they were like 9-3 and defending champions of their league with Bone as a coach..

Skimhvn
11-27-2017, 03:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Rzhd2Jy.jpg

Will this double pick be used in next match? :roll::roll::roll:

RenoZag
11-27-2017, 03:22 PM

Can the Holy Trinity be called for travelling ?

RenoZag
11-27-2017, 03:23 PM

Church Lady. . .

CDC84
11-27-2017, 03:33 PM
What do you think would happen if Few threw out this lineup to start the game vs. Incarnate Word? Let's say he lets them play the first 10 minutes of the first half.

Jesse Wade - PG
Zach Norvell Jr. - SG
Rui Hachimura - SF
Killian Tillie - PF
Jacob Larsen - C

What would the score be??

CDC84
11-27-2017, 03:36 PM

As people know, I don't have any problems playing guarantee games because they are necessary for generating program revenue. If you don't believe me, contact Gonzaga's AD. It's the business of sports. They are not doing it to pad their record. However, in this instance, I think the Zags could have really used the week off. They expended so much effort in Portland. Moreover the Zags have two really crucial games coming up against Creighton and Villanova (a game they REALLY need to win). Not having Incarnate Word on the sked would've allowed the staff extra time to scout the 2 biggies coming up.

Zags_Fanatic
11-27-2017, 03:47 PM
As people know, I don't have any problems playing guarantee games because they are necessary for generating program revenue. If you don't believe me, contact Gonzaga's AD. It's the business of sports. They are not doing it to pad their record. However, in this instance, I think the Zags could have really used the week off. They expended so much effort in Portland. Moreover the Zags have two really crucial games coming up against Creighton and Villanova (a game they REALLY need to win). Not having Incarnate Word on the sked would've allowed the staff extra time to scout the 2 biggies coming up.

Hindsight. There was no way to know a week ago if this squad would compete at an elite level and if the Zags had lost 2 or 3 in Portland the staff would be very happy to have a tune-up game right now. Better to have one on the schedule just in case.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-27-2017, 04:07 PM
I’m glad Zags have Incarnate Word on Weds eve before hosting Creighton Friday. Use it as an opportunity, both individually and as a team, to put into practice all the points of emphasis coaching staff will be working on thanks to the PK80 film sessions. Starters will hopefully only have to play 20-25 minutes while Rui, Norvell, Larsen, Jones, Wade (?!) + take care of business. Players would certainly rather have a game than just practice all week.

TacomaZAG
11-27-2017, 04:19 PM

Better go "box and 1", make someone else beat you..........

Go ZAGS

CanadianZagsFan
11-27-2017, 04:34 PM

I believe it was top 5-8 team at the time (Michigan or Michigan St maybe ?). Then they did it again to another top ranked team that season or next season.

I have not heard much about them yet this season, but could be true trap game with Zags young roster and coming off short rest with a look ahead game on Saturday.

Reborn
11-27-2017, 04:47 PM
It's the perfect game right now. It's the game the Zags need right now. i believe the team would rather play IH than to practice or even have a day off in the middle of the week. One thing athletes need is consistency in training. They do not need a day off right now, and they are neither tired nor emotionally drained. I believe that they're pretty excited about this week and being able to be on the floor Wednesday night playing another game. Basketball players love games. It's just the way it is. They love playing other guys. They love winning. I really doubt that they care about the name on their opponents jerseys. Maybe there is one jersey they love to see and that is one with the name St Mary's on it.

I'm excited for the game Wednesday night.

bartruff1
11-27-2017, 05:37 PM

I did it...it wasn't any trouble at all...

ZagzKrak
11-27-2017, 05:47 PM
I wonder if in a game like this if Few could ask the coach of IW to run some press so we can practice breaking it...Not to down play IW but in a game they honestly have very little chance of winning is that kinda talk between coaches allowed???

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 05:55 PM

https://media.makeameme.org/created/it-wasnt-me-lr9c9n.jpg

cggonzaga
11-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Cool fact about David Robinson, about as big a "hero" and good person as one is likely to find in sports, thanks, SW. I've always been a big fan of the Admiral.

Horrible game.

Question to the coaches here: Do you throw out all coaching doctrine and not even really practice/prep for IW and simply talk about what they do, while focus is upon a game plan for Creighton? Make a game plan for IW that is the opposite of the one for Creighton? Somehow link the two to your advantage. Because I'd sure like to think that they'll have more than one day of prep to think about Creighton. Creighton just provided us a huge gift by being better than advertised, losing is NOT an option.

Not a chance. Would set a terrible precedent that you donít have to be prepared for every opponent. Every game matters no matter who it is. Preparing for a game is habit. You start messing with that and things could go sideways quickly.

ZagsGoZags
11-27-2017, 06:33 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Rzhd2Jy.jpg

Will this double pick be used in next match? :roll::roll::roll:

Hi Skimhvn,
thanks for visiting our message board.
to answer you question, I would say "I hope so"
Which part of the Japanese public reads the News about Rui? Would it be the basketball public only, or does it include a larger population?

75Zag
11-27-2017, 06:46 PM
If the Holy Trinity (that means God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit for you heathens) is/are driving to the basket, do he/they get an extra step before being called for traveling? Seems only fair since there are 3 of them playing in one body. Maybe they should get 2 extra steps. Hopefully the refs at the Incarnate Word game can figure this out.

Go Bulldogs!

Skimhvn
11-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Hi Skimhvn,
thanks for visiting our message board.
to answer you question, I would say "I hope so"
Which part of the Japanese public reads the News about Rui? Would it be the basketball public only, or does it include a larger population?

Good question, I would answer that many basketball fans concern Rui, but most of the Japanese doesn't know about Rui yet.
But recently the sports medias sometimes break the news about Rui, so people who know him getting larger little by little.
If he can enter NBA, it would be a big news, and most of our public would know about him.

RenoZag
11-27-2017, 07:58 PM
What do you think would happen if Few threw out this lineup to start the game vs. Incarnate Word? Let's say he lets them play the first 10 minutes of the first half.

Jesse Wade - PG
Zach Norvell Jr. - SG
Rui Hachimura - SF
Killian Tillie - PF
Jacob Larsen - C

What would the score be??

25 - 10

CanadianZagsFan
11-27-2017, 08:26 PM
I wonder if in a game like this if Few could ask the coach of IW to run some press so we can practice breaking it...Not to down play IW but in a game they honestly have very little chance of winning is that kinda talk between coaches allowed???

My understanding coaching youth (AAU type high level) followed by High School (lower to mid level) , it's usually the weaker team coaching staff that approaches stronger team : can you press us, don't take it easy on us run all your stuff etc.

That's my experiences anyways coaching being on more dominant team and then on younger high school team playing varsity level teams.

I'm not sure if those discussions take place at NCAA Div 1 level, interesting to think about though.

titopoet
11-28-2017, 12:30 PM
If the Holy Trinity (that means God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit for you heathens) is/are driving to the basket, do he/they get an extra step before being called for traveling? Seems only fair since there are 3 of them playing in one body. Maybe they should get 2 extra steps. Hopefully the refs at the Incarnate Word game can figure this out.

Go Bulldogs!

Yet the incarnate word would be Jesus.

http://www.god-answers-prayers.com/god_answers_prayers_gallery/img/Jesus_Basketball2(sm).jpg

sittingon50
11-28-2017, 01:22 PM
Yet the incarnate word would be Jesus.

http://www.god-answers-prayers.com/god_answers_prayers_gallery/img/Jesus_Basketball2(sm).jpg

Those are "Air Jesus" kicks he's wearing. He owns the only pair.

(better be careful not to leave them laying around if in the vicinity of Westwood)

FlyZag
11-28-2017, 01:24 PM

Go Bulldogs!

Definitely awarded 2 extra steps.