PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities for Wins against Ranked Opponents

zagdontzig
11-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Just took a quick look at our schedule, and it seems Villanova is the last ranked team on our schedule (assuming SMC doesn't make a reappearance). Our performance against Florida makes me think we are way better than any of us expected to be with this roster, but there isn't much left in the way of opportunities for "good wins."

Am I too early to the Armageddon table?

75Zag
11-27-2017, 03:30 AM
I would like to see GU play in Boise for the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament and that may require a 4 seed or better and as of this moment it is a little difficult to see how GU gets there without a win over a ranked opponent. Beating Nova would be a good start, but even if we lose to Nova we could get lucky if the Power Conference leaders and traditional Blue Bloods knock each other off early and often and GU runs the table in the WCC.

Go Bulldogs!

GoZags
11-27-2017, 03:51 AM
I would like to see GU play in Boise for the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament and that may require a 4 seed or better and as of this moment it is a little difficult to see how GU gets there without a win over a ranked opponent. Beating Nova would be a good start, but even if we lose to Nova we could get lucky if the Power Conference leaders and traditional Blue Bloods knock each other off early and often and GU runs the table in the WCC.

Go Bulldogs!

Zags were a 1 seed in '13 and only played 3 ranked opponents all season (and went 1-2 against them). They lost to #13 Butler, lost at home to #13 Illinois and beat #22 Oklahoma State 69-68. In '04 the Zags were a 2 seed and also only played 3 ranked opponents all season (going 1-2 .... losing to St. Joes and Stanford and beating Mizzou) I don't see how this year's schedule would impact their ability to be a Top 4 seed in this year's dance. Of course, they'd have to win a bunch of games ... but they can do it.

75Zag
11-27-2017, 04:20 AM
I agree - a high seed can be obtained in various ways, but in the absence of "signature wins" and given the WCC's negative impact on SOS/RPI, it will require GU to win a lot of games AND (IMO) a bit of luck in having the top 10 - 15 ranked teams beat each other up at just the right times during the season so that GU floats toward the top of the polls even without "signature wins".

Go Bulldogs!

LongIslandZagFan
11-27-2017, 04:27 AM
Just took a quick look at our schedule, and it seems Villanova is the last ranked team on our schedule (assuming SMC doesn't make a reappearance). Our performance against Florida makes me think we are way better than any of us expected to be with this roster, but there isn't much left in the way of opportunities for "good wins."

Am I too early to the Armageddon table?

Well flip it on it's head... That also means that if they beat the Wildcats... they have a good chance of not losing again for the rest of the season and finishing with one loss. So that would be the half full argument.

gonzagafan62
11-27-2017, 04:52 AM
Creighton will be ranked again and will be a quality win very shortly. Believe that!

thebigsmoove
11-27-2017, 05:15 AM
AP poll doesnt really matter much in the grand spectrum of things, the NCAA selection committee is more worried about RPI, BPI, Kenpom, Sagarin, etc. Top 50/Top 100 wins in those rankings carry more weight.

Texas is ranked 28th in kenpom right now btw.

Ohio State is 69th
Florida (which the committee wouldnt hold against us) is 10th
Creighton is 33rd
Villanova is 2nd
San Diego State is 67th
BYU is 87th
and Saint Marys who we will play 3 times probably is 35th

Ekrub
11-27-2017, 05:56 AM
AP poll doesnt really matter much in the grand spectrum of things, the NCAA selection committee is more worried about RPI, BPI, Kenpom, Sagarin, etc. Top 50/Top 100 wins in those rankings carry more weight.

Ohio State is 69th
Creighton is 33rd
Villanova is 2nd
San Diego State is 67th
BYU is 87th

I think Texas will be considered a good win by the end of the year. that Florida game would have done wonders for our seeding. I think we need to more or less run the table in the wcc (maybe an away loss at byu or smc), win the wcc tournament, and at least the win vs Creighton to pick up a top 4 seed. Not much of a margin for error.

zagdontzig
11-27-2017, 06:35 AM
Well flip it on it's head... That also means that if they beat the Wildcats... they have a good chance of not losing again for the rest of the season and finishing with one loss. So that would be the half full argument.

I 100% agree, but that also makes Villanova a must-win... That's what worries me.

Goshzagit
11-27-2017, 07:10 AM
Creighton could sneak into the Top-25 later today. *crossing fingers*

DixieZag
11-27-2017, 07:26 AM

Ohio State is 69th
Creighton is 33rd
Villanova is 2nd
San Diego State is 67th
BYU is 87th

Thank you for listing those.

Seeing that makes me a little more comfortable with the idea of having demonstrated as solid a schedule as one could, and if we win all but one or two, as other have said, we'll be a top 4 seed.

The Villanova game is interesting. The boys will know how important it is to our season. It will be cool, but NOT that important to Nova. Prior to the PK80, I'd have doubted we could even stay within 8. Now I see a toughness in this team that I expect it to bring out a similar fight as with Florida. If they play that tough, we're really in a "can't lose" situation b/c no one expects us to win, and a grinder that goes to the buzzer says "we belong." There are no moral victories, but there's a cold hard reality that perception matters.

zagdontzig
11-27-2017, 08:20 AM
Creighton could sneak into the Top-25 later today. *crossing fingers*

wow nice call.

thebigsmoove
11-27-2017, 08:43 AM
I think Texas will be considered a good win by the end of the year. that Florida game would have done wonders for our seeding. I think we need to more or less run the table in the wcc (maybe an away loss at byu or smc), win the wcc tournament, and at least the win vs Creighton to pick up a top 4 seed. Not much of a margin for error.

That Texas win is a good win right now. The Florida game actually proved to a lot of people that we are still good, even if we lost the marathon, we were right there with a legit top 10 team. Im really not concerned about seeding right now, by the time january and february roll around everyone forgets the eyeball tests in November anyways, the resume will be good enough (assuming we win everything but Villanova and maybe saint marys in Moraga) to get us a quality seed. We shall see.