PDA

View Full Version : WSU VS UW

kclubfounder
11-26-2017, 05:08 PM
I was very disappointed when we unceremoniously dropped WSU. It ticked me off because they played us during many a year when we SUCKED and they were a legitimate Pac 8, then Pac 10, then Pac 12 team. I get all the arguments for dropping them from the schedule. But LOYALTY ought to mean something. And they were loyal to the series. They played us AT Gonzaga in years when they were pretty damn good and we SUCKED.

Anyway, I voiced my complaints when this series was terminated by Gonzaga.

But because the UW is SUCKING just like they have been for years, I figured I'd complain again because WSU is happening to have a damn impressive season in the year that we arrogantly (in my opinion) dropped them from our schedule.

But hey, GREAT job in Portland. I LOVE our team. I just wish we were playing WSU this year. I certainly wish we were playing WSU more than playing the F'ing puppies.

sittingon50
11-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Their record is a bit misleading at this point, kcf.

And they played the Zags before RPI was a big deal. It was Kelvin Sampson who dropped the Zags when the Zags started getting competive & he couldn't rack up an automatic W.

JMO.

ZagNut08
11-26-2017, 06:03 PM
If the WCC didn’t add bottom feeding Pacific we would have 2 more out of conference games. With the expanded conference schedule it is more important than ever to maximize RPI in the OOC

Ezag
11-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Why would they want to play the team that is supposed to finish 2nd in the WCC?

509er
11-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Their record is a bit misleading at this point, kcf.

And they played the Zags before RPI was a big deal. It was Kelvin Sampson who dropped the Zags when the Zags started getting competive & he couldn't rack up an automatic W.

JMO.

So what’s the cutoff RPI wise that WSU is “worthy” of playing GU? Top 100? Top 75? You’d think there would be a bit of a hometown discount considering history, how many season ticket holders like this game, the ability for Zag fans to see a live game in Pullman that have a hard time getting in the kennel etc. I think the Cougs will have everyone back next year except their grad transfer so I could see them cracking top 100 for sure. They certainly are every bit as good as uw this year.

Personally I also think there was a little FU going on between Roth and Few vs Moos and Ernie from their Oregon years when they probably tried to get a home and Home. Speaking of Oregon, that would be a good series.

bigblahla
11-26-2017, 08:41 PM
Yeah nothing like seeing the faux Zag fans wearing their crimson and grey in the kennel when WSU played there....no value in playing WSU unless it is Wichita State University...

Just my opinion..

Go!! Zags!!!

Robzagnut
11-26-2017, 08:46 PM
No interest in playing WSU any more. UW makes much more sense because of the Seattle market and Seattle area players.

Zagdawg
11-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Agree ---- worth playing UW for the Seattle area market exposure.

Also open to playing WSU in the arena every year or in Mac every year.

GoZags
11-26-2017, 09:59 PM
I have zero problems with “Kelvin Sampson-ing” the Kewgs.

Coug Tracks
11-26-2017, 10:08 PM
I have zero problems with “Kelvin Sampson-ing” the Kewgs.This series should stay in the past IMHO but you are conveniently forgetting Raveling played GU for years with absolutely nothing to gain.

GoZags
11-27-2017, 04:37 AM
This series should stay in the past IMHO but you are conveniently forgetting Raveling played GU for years with absolutely nothing to gain.

Good point. There weren't any WSU supporters at those games that were played in the Coliseum ..... thus "absolutely nothing to gain".

sittingon50
11-27-2017, 08:22 AM
This series should stay in the past IMHO but you are conveniently forgetting Raveling played GU for years with absolutely nothing to gain.

Except a W.

509er
11-28-2017, 02:03 AM
No interest in playing WSU any more. UW makes much more sense because of the Seattle market and Seattle area players.

To this end, I don't really see what uw has to gain by playing the Zags. It will be interesting how their new coach looks at the series but I wouldn't be surprised to see them cancel it. Personally I'd like to see them play both Pac12 schools and EWU and Idaho has well but there aren't enough OOC games on the schedule to accommodate everyone. No way is WSU going to agree to a MAC only series but EWU or Idaho might. I think most of the ticket holders would rather see GU vs EWU than GU vs Incartanate World.

WallaWallaZag
11-28-2017, 04:30 AM
To this end, I don't really see what uw has to gain by playing the Zags. It will be interesting how their new coach looks at the series but I wouldn't be surprised to see them cancel it. Personally I'd like to see them play both Pac12 schools and EWU and Idaho has well but there aren't enough OOC games on the schedule to accommodate everyone. No way is WSU going to agree to a MAC only series but EWU or Idaho might. I think most of the ticket holders would rather see GU vs EWU than GU vs Incartanate World.

but a game against any regional opponent carries much more risk...it would be their superbowl. for teams like TS/howard/IW it is just another game they're getting paid to get their butt kicked...

ZagsGoZags
11-28-2017, 05:40 AM
I hope Hopkins will keep the UW-GU series going. He is whipping the huskies into a team, as every game this season has shown a palpable improvement. They are actually playing as a team, and he is creating the Syracuse zone defensive machine. From what I can see the players are really buying into it. Hopkins will not have the inner city magic that Romar had and the UW series will give zags a larger presence in the Puget Sound media. Besides Romar had specific reasons for dropping us which Hopkins does not have and he is used to tough schedules. We are going to see a more competitive UW basketball program than the last few years.
I would also love to see us play WSU or anybody in the Spokane arena or Key Arena (revive the Battle in Seattle) so non season ticket holders could get a chance to see the zags in person.

509er
11-28-2017, 05:58 AM
I hope Hopkins will keep the UW-GU series going. He is whipping the huskies into a team, as every game this season has shown a palpable improvement. They are actually playing as a team, and he is creating the Syracuse zone defensive machine. From what I can see the players are really buying into it. Hopkins will not have the inner city magic that Romar had and the UW series will give zags a larger presence in the Puget Sound media. Besides Romar had specific reasons for dropping us which Hopkins does not have and he is used to tough schedules. We are going to see a more competitive UW basketball program than the last few years.
I would also love to see us play WSU or anybody in the Spokane arena or Key Arena (revive the Battle in Seattle) so non season ticket holders could get a chance to see the zags in person.

I love the WSU vs GU in Seattle idea. Instant sell out and piss the uw off at the same time.

Hoopaholic
11-28-2017, 06:36 AM
but a game against any regional opponent carries much more risk...it would be their superbowl. for teams like TS/howard/IW it is just another game they're getting paid to get their butt kicked...

wouldnt that benefit the development of our team? afterall that is the atomosphere and attitude they face in most WCC games....

titopoet
11-28-2017, 06:44 AM
I was very disappointed when we unceremoniously dropped WSU. It ticked me off because they played us during many a year when we SUCKED and they were a legitimate Pac 8, then Pac 10, then Pac 12 team. I get all the arguments for dropping them from the schedule. But LOYALTY ought to mean something. And they were loyal to the series. They played us AT Gonzaga in years when they were pretty damn good and we SUCKED.

Anyway, I voiced my complaints when this series was terminated by Gonzaga.

But because the UW is SUCKING just like they have been for years, I figured I'd complain again because WSU is happening to have a damn impressive season in the year that we arrogantly (in my opinion) dropped them from our schedule.

But hey, GREAT job in Portland. I LOVE our team. I just wish we were playing WSU this year. I certainly wish we were playing WSU more than playing the F'ing puppies.

I don't think the series was dropped becuase of schedule or anything of the sort. I think it was a personality issue.

gueastcoast
11-28-2017, 07:14 AM
Will confess I never really get the arguments made against playing regional teams, like we used to...if our OOC were utterly, stratospherically, metaphysically stacked, I'd take the point. But when you play Texas Southern, Incarnate Word (wtf), Howard, et al, I don't get the RPI/risk of a bad loss argument. If we're going to play low(er) RPI teams, let's play EWU, WSU, Montana, Idaho, etc., or whatever subset of these teams of regional interest make sense and will agree to play us at home. I have no doubt I'm missing some really big point the coaching staff and athletic department are all over, but I think as fans we tend to overcomplicate it.

mgadfly
11-28-2017, 07:29 AM
I don't know why GU would play any of the local teams (other than the UW for the Seattle recruits) at this point. Loyalty to a competitor?

If WSU wanted to play in Key Arena every year, that'd make sense. Both teams have fan bases there, it'd sell-out, true neutral site, lots of recruits in the area. You'd probably tick off the UW and lose that series though, but if both could be accomplished it'd make some sense.

I think this year's schedule isn't tough enough and has a number of games that I don't understand why they were scheduled, but replacing them with Idaho, Eastern, and WSU would do nothing to move the program forward.

realtydog
11-28-2017, 07:30 AM
..no value in playing WSU

I heard this for years in the past------RE: playing GU

Zagceo
11-28-2017, 07:34 AM

You a coug Alum?

Zagdawg
11-28-2017, 07:35 AM

Majority of fans were not around in the early 90's when this was accurate.

EEzag
11-28-2017, 07:46 AM

I heard that the series being dropped had less to do with basketball and more to do with athletic director/ University President issues, more specifically not ours.

gueastcoast
11-28-2017, 08:17 AM
I think this year's schedule isn't tough enough and has a number of games that I don't understand why they were scheduled, but replacing them with Idaho, Eastern, and WSU would do nothing to move the program forward.

Don't disagree -- if we go no cupcakes. If we go for seconds and thirds on the cupcake diet, for whatever reason, I'd stay with the local teams. Like Duke playing Elon, which it seems they do every year.

realtydog
11-28-2017, 08:41 AM
You a coug Alum?

nope.......just been around long enough to recognize hypocrisy with this subject

509er
11-28-2017, 08:47 AM
I heard that the series being dropped had less to do with basketball and more to do with athletic director/ University President issues, more specifically not ours.

Can you elaborate?

Zagceo
11-28-2017, 08:57 AM
nope.......just been around long enough to recognize hypocrisy with this subject

My issue is personal....when "fans" like my brother and his wife (Coug Alums & Zag season ticket holders) turn their shirts inside out and fill the kennel with Crimson/Grey?

Probably not any part of the reason for not playing Cougs....but I'm fine with whatever the reason is

509er
11-28-2017, 09:09 AM
My issue is personal....when "fans" like my brother and his wife (Coug Alums & Zag season ticket holders) turn their shirts inside out and fill the kennel with Crimson/Grey?

Probably not any part of the reason for not playing Cougs....but I'm fine with whatever the reason is

I know a lot of season ticket holders and most of them are not alums. I’d expect most of them to do the same if their alma mater was playing in the Kennel. My dad is a GU law alum and a huge fan but when they have played his alma mater he doesn’t root for the Zags.

bigblahla
11-28-2017, 09:43 AM

Not hypocrisy on my part dog....I follow one TEAM...Gonzaga....the only way this game makes sense to me is if it is played at the Arena...and then maybe only every other year for it will be played just for the fans of both teams....it will be a long time if ever that the Cougars will be considered a quality win....there are a lot bigger fish to fry in D1.....

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

DixieZag
11-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Scheduling is about the most complex duty outside recruiting and actual coaching, so I don't want to pretend to sound like I know what I'm talking about. But, it would be nice that IF one is going to play a sub 200 team, that team be the Univ of Idaho, or Eastern, or Montana, or even ....Portland State. It's just more interesting to fans, I think.

Zagricultural
11-28-2017, 03:04 PM
We've thoroughly discussed this in many other threads, and I'm not going to do it all over again. It would be ridiculous to play a home and home with WSU until they're top 25. WSU won't play here without a return game. The only reason to want this is if you are a WSU fan. As a Zags fan I'm super glad we no longer play them.

Coug Tracks
11-28-2017, 07:10 PM
We've thoroughly discussed this in many other threads, and I'm not going to do it all over again. It would be ridiculous to play a home and home with WSU until they're top 25. WSU won't play here without a return game. The only reason to want this is if you are a WSU fan. As a Zags fan I'm super glad we no longer play them.I agree it's not worth playing until WSU shows a pulse and makes the game meaningful. Other than GU ticket holders I think "regular" WSU fans couldn't wait for the final game and to see the series die after the 3-game deal.

sittingon50
11-28-2017, 09:01 PM
ONLY SPECULATING HERE

but I think the reason the EWU game went away was Few's friendship with Hayford (see Dan Monson, Leon Rice).

Now that Hayford has moved along, perhaps there is an opening again. Went to some of those EWU/GU Arena games. Lot's of excitement & a lot more fans for both schools.

Per KenPom Eastern currently @ #202. Not great, but currently better than 5 of the 10 non-cons (excluding PK80) that GU has on the schedule this year.

Zagceo
11-28-2017, 09:07 PM
ONLY SPECULATING HERE

but I think the reason the EWU game went away was Few's friendship with Hayford (see Dan Monson, Leon Rice).

Now that Hayford has moved along, perhaps there is an opening again. Went to some of those EWU/GU Arena games. Lot's of excitement & a lot more fans for both schools.

Per KenPom Eastern currently @ #202. Not great, but currently better than 5 of the 10 non-cons (excluding PK80) that GU has on the schedule this year.

or Jerry Krause