PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on WCC

DixieZag
11-26-2017, 02:22 PM
USD shows 5-0, but also shows a weird opening loss to Arizona State with a respectable 7 point road loss. I can't resolve the contradiction here. A win against SDSU on the 30th would really help us to see how much they've improved. Their wins are legitimate, no Div III schools, but no BCS schools, either.

SMC is 4-2 with their wins being as embarrassing as their loss to Cougs and Georgia.

USF is 3-1 and played no one yet, loss is to Long Beach in opener. They will play Stanford and Eastern in the next few weeks, we'll see.

BYU - At 3-2 is now a full WCC citizen. Horrid OOC losses, and wins that embarrass you. They lost to Alabama by 12, beat UMASS by 2, beat Niagra by 7. And could beat us, blowing up an at large-bid if we're not careful.

LMU is 3-2 and exactly what you'd expect in terms of quality wins and losses.

Portland 2-3 and didn't even look to compete (unlike Portland State) at the PK 80.

Pacific 2-4, but they're playing a more respectable schedule.

Pepp; 2-4, lost all momentum of 2 years ago.

Santa Clara: 1-5 notable for the shocking losses, big losses to Idaho, small losses to Alaska Anchorage, just terrible.

SMC's lose to WSU did to the conference what the SMC schedule always threatens to do to it, it pretty well kicked away any hope of us being respected as a 2 or even 3 bid league, b/c now if BYU beats SMC, it's not a top 25 win.

USD is intriguing, USF maybe still moving in the right direction.

MTZag03
11-26-2017, 02:57 PM
At this point I'm just expecting an inexplicable home loss to BYU. It's like the road lots to USF that you could set your clock to 8 years ago. I hope we rise above this year.

UberZagFan
11-26-2017, 03:05 PM
USD and ASU played an opening exhibition game to benefit victims of the hurricane in Puerto Rico. Doesn't count on their record.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

GonzaGAW
11-26-2017, 03:46 PM
- I think the wcc is going to be a one bid league if gonzaga wins the conference tourney.
- smc gets in only if they beat the zags twice, or of course win the conference tourney.

- and I expect the zags to win the conference title.

-I see no more than 2 conference losses this year, could be less.

MDABE80
11-26-2017, 03:56 PM
SMC had a OT loss today with Georgia. 4-2 now. I think they'll be fine and learn from these losses. WCC-2 bid team.

DixieZag
11-26-2017, 04:11 PM
SMC had a OT loss today with Georgia. 4-2 now. I think they'll be fine and learn from these losses. WCC-2 bid team.

Assume four losses, (one to us in regular season, one in the tourney), with one quality win and the wretched schedule we've seen time and time again? How does that equate to them getting an auto-bid when they didn't get one 2 years ago?

They're in worse shape if you count the fact they could've beaten UGA but chose not to. They'll have played a total of 4 (?) BCS conference games and have lost 2 of them to mediocre to terrible teams? They will beat Cal bc everyone beats Cal this year. I don't know, Abe.

They'd have to be betting on beating us 2x in the regular season and best not have a hiccup in Provo, or anywhere else, for that matter.

ZagsObserver
11-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Abe. Georgia is not particularly good. Close wins against bad teams for Georgia. Lost to the only ok team they played in San Diego state.

thespywhozaggedme
11-26-2017, 04:25 PM
I'd be shocked if we don't run the table. We're superior to every team.

bartruff1
11-26-2017, 04:27 PM
The Gaels have lost some luster and BYU is in a dark place....but.....it is still November...it could get worse..

bigblahla
11-26-2017, 04:51 PM
The WCC will suck as usual except when they have the Zags on their home court and then they will remember how to play the game.

The minions of Moronga are the great pretenders and Gollum will always get what he deserves. They have a good recruiting class coming in next year and I expect them to challenge the Zags in 2 years but not until then....they will lose to the Zags by double digits in every game played this season. BYU sucks, USF could be a surprise come conference time. One bid league unless the Zags lose in the WCC tournament final and I don't see that happening....down year for the WCC...so what's new?

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-26-2017, 04:52 PM
This was the original poll, per the folks at slipperstillfits.

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/10/19/16504466/wcc-preseason-awards-gonzaga-bulldogs

Saint Mary’s (9), 81
Gonzaga (1), 73
BYU, 62
USF, 59
Santa Clara, 44
San Diego, 37
Pepperdine, 30
Pacific, 24
Portland, 21
LMU, 19

San Diego was picked to finish sixth. They’ve been a pleasant surprise.

Sound Voltex
11-26-2017, 06:15 PM
Well, we kind of blew up our entire roster in the offseason. For all but 1 starter and 3 bench players, this is their first DI season with major playing time. Showing positive signs of contributions for the most part, but as expected a lot of young team growing pains.

We only graduate two this year and only have one LOI for next year (One Porter son is going from walk-on -> scholarship). So bar another mass exodus, we will return all of Porter's recruits back next season with more experience and growth. Hopefully.

For now, I'll settle for not last this season, I guess. I don't think we'll have another collapse like last season when Wintering went down.

DixieZag
11-26-2017, 06:41 PM
USD and ASU played an opening exhibition game to benefit victims of the hurricane in Puerto Rico. Doesn't count on their record.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Thank you for that, Uber.

UberZagFan
11-26-2017, 07:26 PM
Thank you for that, Uber.No problem. Also, point of order: if SMC does not win conference tourney, they will be looking for an "at-large" bid. The "auto-bid" is what GU will receive when they win the WCC tourney (though they will qualify for an at-large bid even if they don't win the tourney whereas SMC will not, that we agree on).

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 04:13 AM
I'd be shocked if we don't run the table. We're superior to every team.

I'll be shocked if we lose more than one game in conference.

IMO, SMC is now on the brink. This year, they'll have to take at least one from us. Otherwise, they're NIT bound.

75Zag
11-27-2017, 04:44 AM
IMO, SMC is now on the brink. This year, they'll have to take at least one from us. Otherwise, they're IT bound.

Agreed. SMC gained some media attention and respect the past few years, but they seem to be headed in the wrong direction and not just because they lost to the Cougs (giggle, giggle). And so far as I can tell, SMC didn't use their media attention and NCAA recognition to significantly increase their athletic department budgets or to improve their NCAA athletic facilities. Getting WCC schools to prioritize facilities and salaries to enhance NCAA competition appears to be an almost impossible task.

Go Bulldogs!

avid-zag-fan
11-27-2017, 07:07 AM
kenpom says we lose 2, smc 4, byu 6, sf 8, sd 9 and portland last with 4 wins. WCC 11th rated conference

https://kenpom.com/conf.php?c=WCC

DixieZag
11-27-2017, 07:14 AM
kenpom says we lose 2, smc 4, byu 6, sf 8, sd 9 and portland last with 4 wins. WCC 11th rated conference

https://kenpom.com/conf.php?c=WCC

And to think we once aspired (indeed were) 8 "ish" some even thought 7 or one higher.

Now 11, and then re-do the math taking us out of the picture?

Sheesh.

HenneZag
11-27-2017, 07:42 AM
I still wouldn’t sleep on Saint Mary’s. I watched both games they lost vs. WSU and Georgia and they have the ability to be dangerous. WSU caught lightening in a bottle and won their tournament beating a good SDSU squad and Georgia was a fast and physical team. SMC moves the ball very well and will be built to challenge us once again. I’m bummed that they lost those games in regards to what it means for them and the WCC.

I do think the ZAGS are once again the team to beat but I wouldn’t sleep on the Gaels either.

thespywhozaggedme
11-27-2017, 07:44 AM
I still wouldn’t sleep on Saint Mary’s. I watched both games they lost vs. WSU and Georgia and they have the ability to be dangerous. WSU caught lightening in a bottle and won their tournament beating a good SDSU squad and Georgia was a fast and physical team. SMC moves the ball very well and will be built to challenge us once again. I’m bummed that they lost those games in regards to what it means for them and the WCC.

I do think the ZAGS are once again the team to beat but I wouldn’t sleep on the Gaels either.

We are so much more talented than them. Think of it this way; SMC vs Florida neutral site, what's your prediction?

SWZag
11-27-2017, 08:20 AM
I think Santa Clara has been the greatest surprise/disappointment so far. Plain terrible. USD has caught my eye, winning games they normally would lose.

avid-zag-fan
11-27-2017, 08:55 AM
I wonder if the WCC would actually be still be considered a Mid Major without us and smc over the last 10 years? 5 teams right now 200 or worse.

DixieZag
11-27-2017, 09:00 AM
USD's "exhibition" loss to Arizona State by 7 now looks even more impressive given that Arizona State is now ranked #20, and the fact that USD isn't just wining these games, they're winning by margins, double digits. San Diego State is the closest thing they have to a "must win" on the schedule (OOC), Nov 30th

ToreroStudent
11-27-2017, 10:18 AM
This is the best roster we've had in some time, and more importantly the players seem to really like Lamont Smith and go all out for him. After what I've seen so far, I wouldn't be shocked if we made a run at the #2 spot in the WCC.

Coming in from Utah, Isaiah Wright might be 1st team All-wcc this year and has allowed Olin Carter to move to his natural 2 guard. That's really made a ton of difference in how the offense runs. I don't think many people knew what to make of the transfers we had (Isaiah Wright and Isaiah Pinero) I know I didn't. But they're really good.

Yauhen Massalski might also be our best big since Pomare. He's just a freshman.

77Zag
11-27-2017, 10:28 AM
SMC is going to have to take us out at least twice or win the Vegas show to make the dance. OOC is pathetic for them moving forward.

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 10:29 AM
This is the best roster we've had in some time, and more importantly the players seem to really like Lamont Smith and go all out for him. After what I've seen so far, I wouldn't be shocked if we made a run at the #2 spot in the WCC.

Coming in from Utah, Isaiah Wright might be 1st team All-wcc this year and has allowed Olin Carter to move to his natural 2 guard. That's really made a ton of difference in how the offense runs. I don't think many people knew what to make of the transfers we had (Isaiah Wright and Isaiah Pinero) I know I didn't. But they're really good.

Yauhen Massalski might also be our best big since Pomare. He's just a freshman.

Good info...thanks, love your enthusiasm.

Considering you're posting from Austin, should your handle by ToreroGrad? ;)

ToreroStudent
11-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Good info...thanks, love your enthusiasm.

Considering you're posting from Austin, should your handle by ToreroGrad? ;)

I really should change it, especially considering how much harder it is to rig up streaming options for my TV all the way in ATX :D

WallaWallaZag
11-27-2017, 11:26 AM
SMC is going to have to take us out at least twice or win the Vegas show to make the dance. OOC is pathetic for them moving forward.

i think they still have a shot if they only beat zags once and don't lose any other games...that would leave them at 30-4 (has a 30 win team ever been left out? don't think so...but always a first for everything =).
who knows...could be a weak year overall and maybe smc even sneaks in with an additional loss @ byu or something...