PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with 5-1?

Zags11
11-26-2017, 12:57 PM
I sure am.

They took #7 to double OT. If that was today's game, everyone would be pumped at 5-1.

Today was tough for me. We lose leads like that too much but we won. Life goes on.

5-1 I'm damn happy.

Zag_Dad
11-26-2017, 12:59 PM
I’d prefer 6-0 but the loss wasn’t a “bad” loss. I feel very good about this team and am confident they will only keep getting better.

thespywhozaggedme
11-26-2017, 01:01 PM
If not for a missed ft, we're 6-0. I'm pleased with our record right now. Our only loss thus far is the very definition of a "good" loss.

bartruff1
11-26-2017, 01:01 PM
no

zag67
11-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Yes, when you think how young we are and how much we will improve.

75Zag
11-26-2017, 01:11 PM
If we were 6-0 tomorrow morning, that would mean we beat Duke, which would be worthy of a parade. Therefore I am not particularly happy with 5-1. The Nova game looms large if GU wants to enter and remain in the Top 10 until the Tournament. In past years I have referred to the WCC as the three-legged dog of college basketball, but based on St. Mary's performance against the Cougs, perhaps this year the WCC will be the two-legged dog of college basketball. Not a lot of opportunities for GU to impress those East Coast sports writers between December 5 and March 25.

Go Bulldogs!

hooter73
11-26-2017, 01:27 PM
Feel better about our 5-1 than Saint Marys 5-1. :D

MDABE80
11-26-2017, 01:30 PM
We're lucky to be 5-1 ! It could have been different ! Think how you would feel if we ended the PK 4-2. I'm giving thanks;)

23dpg
11-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Yes, very!

Enjoying the ride.

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2017, 01:39 PM
I'm happy, more or less.

Williams didn't have it this game and Tillie was in foul trouble seemingly all day. Melson was off. This is a game where some of the young guys stepped up. Kispert had some big plays. Rui had what I would consider a breakout game. Norvell had that charge but otherwise didn't look too bad. I think this team probably learned a lot this weekend.

I'm discouraged most by the turnovers. It seemed like quite a few were offensive fouls that gave the ball back. On top of that, JW3 looked like he was trying to be extra quick to counter the length of Bamba and was going too fast.

RenoZag
11-26-2017, 02:33 PM
If not for a missed ft, we're 6-0. I'm pleased with our record right now. Our only loss thus far is the very definition of a "good" loss.

We would still be 5 -1 because the Zags we saw this morning would not have beaten Duke

ZagDad84
11-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Another way to look at it is, at the start of the season, would you have been happy to be 5-1 after the PK80 tournament? If the answer is yes then that is what it should be.

Obviously for lack of a made free throw or a desperation 3 we could have been 6-0 (if we had beaten Duke) or 5-1 with a win against #7 Florida and a lost against #1 Duke.

We have good wins against Ohio State and Texas and a good loss (if their is such a thing) against #7 Florida and additional chances to improve our resume against Creighton and Villanova in the next couple of weeks.

It may not be sunny in Spokane today, but there certainly is more sun than clouds and no chance of rain.

Lots to work on in the next couple of weeks gentlemen.

ZagDad

bartruff1
11-26-2017, 03:17 PM
We would still be 5 -1 because the Zags we saw this morning would not have beaten Duke

I would have liked to see them try....but even...

5-1 with a win over Florida and a loss to Duke is immeasurable better than a lost to Florida and wins over Ohio State and Texas that I don't think will finish in the top half of their leagues ...

Goshzagit
11-26-2017, 03:29 PM
speaking of playing Duke.

Did anyone watch 'em vs Texas?

Bilas pointed out how poor of a defensive team they are right now. I agree. They have size but lost on the court, save their guards.

Their plethora of 5* frosh will come around, but they give open shot after open shot.

The Duke rotations aren't even remotely close how we operate as a team. Gonzaga is a much better team defensively.

Now, not saying we could hang with them as they have so much size, depth, weapons at every position, yet unless they shore up their D tonight, or Florida is off.

Gators could roll them. By 10+.

We held a 5 or 6pt lead vs Florida for 37 minutes, and even with a hand in the face, they were dropping 3's like crazy.

If they continue that trend, they will oust the Dukies.

I still can't believe Florida returns post prospects soon. That scary 6'11", 265lb beast of a man, Egbuano(sp?), and their starting PF, 6'9" 220lb in the next month or so.

I sincerely feel Florida is a Top-3 team, with Kansas, Duke, Nova, MSU, etc. in "that" group.

kitzbuel
11-26-2017, 03:30 PM
We would still be 5 -1 because the Zags we saw this morning would not have beaten DukeI really don't think that those would be the Zags who showed up against Duke, though.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

GonzaGAW
11-26-2017, 03:30 PM
- come on man........yeah but this, yeah but that.....if you can't be happy with 5-1, you can't be happy.
- add in the high level of competition, learning opportunities. I double down on happy.

Goshzagit
11-26-2017, 03:33 PM

I get it, as I posted above, yet we DID have a 17 pt lead with exactly 6 mins to go this AM. We were doing some things right.

Most of our guys played 40+ mins 36 hrs before...fatigue did take a toll, esp on Kispert's shooting, and late FT's, lack of strength with the ball, etc.

We forget Texas features several Top-25 guys on their roster.

Zagdawg
11-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Good experience early for the team --- I'll take it and enjoy watching them continue to grow over the rest of the year.

TacomaZAG
11-26-2017, 03:40 PM
Not only happy, but ecstatic!!!! Lots of stuff to work on, but nothing but upside after PK80..........

Kispert is fantastic (could he get time at the 2 during WCC play??), Rui had a coming out party today, the guards are solid (big learning experience for all of them after today), and the bigs are really good.

Rui just cemented himself as the 6th man today, can play both the 3 and 4. I loved it when they showed Tommy in Coach's ear when Rui did a dumb thing, and was allowed to stay in the game, thanks to Tommy I believe.

Lots of promise, lots to work on, good early results.

Go ZAGS

RenoZag
11-26-2017, 03:45 PM
I really don't think that those would be the Zags who showed up against Duke, though.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

You may be right, kitz. Later start, more rest, better adrenaline going for a tournament championship vs. third place. . .all factors that might have influenced the crispness of play.

RenoZag
11-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Another way to look at it is, at the start of the season, would you have been happy to be 5-1 after the PK80 tournament? If the answer is yes then that is what it should be.

I'm happy.

Hoopaholic
11-26-2017, 03:53 PM
no

Why?

Hoopaholic
11-26-2017, 03:57 PM
I am thrilled

We could not have had three better, yet each different game that allowed the team to learn and grow which is critical this time year and save a free throw they answered each time

From brutal pounding game to fast paced throw up shots anywhere anytime to penetrating, bloody quick pressing team with a very solid front court

Wonderful start to the year with a treasure trove of game film to help understand the critical nuances of our defense

gueastcoast
11-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Very happy. Florida loss will "age" well. Avoid bad losses and how many do we lose in the regular season? We look to be a solid top 15, perhaps top 10 team with the young 'uns developing, come tourney time.

bartruff1
11-26-2017, 04:06 PM
Why?

When you can beat a top ten team with a free throw ...... and get to play the #1 team.....and you don't....that is a lost opportunity....

Hoopaholic
11-26-2017, 04:21 PM
When you can beat a top ten team with a free throw ...... and get to play the #1 team.....and you don't....that is a lost opportunity....

Fair enough but for me I look at the entire body of work to determine success and comfort level of happiness related to the weekend

2wiceright
11-26-2017, 04:23 PM
We're lucky to be 5-1 ! It could have been different ! Think how you would feel if we ended the PK 4-2. I'm giving thanks;)

+1,000!!!

CanadianZagsFan
11-26-2017, 05:06 PM
Teams lose game guys. Relax. That loss is fine. So are 3-4 others whenever they happen. We are not Kentucky of couple years trying to run table or something. Team and individual progression is key.

CdAZagFan
11-26-2017, 05:08 PM
Very happy.... Early season - working through the defensive kinks, figuring out the rotations and offensive support systems - and the only loss is a 2OT loss to Florida - Heck yeah!