PDA

View Full Version : Rui coming out

Zagceo
11-26-2017, 12:03 PM
What do you think of Rui sitting after traveling call with 7 min left in regulation?

Didnít return until late in OT

Mantua
11-26-2017, 12:04 PM
ConFewsing!

Birddog
11-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Coaching decision, I'm in agreement, they had their reasons, remember, they are trying to grow his confidence. OTOH, he had a helluva game.

jazzdelmar
11-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Few collar.

Zagceo
11-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Few had a discussion with Tommy after travel call against Rui .....Tommy looked like he was defending Rui....Rui pulled....

Fews security blanket ...wanted starters

former1dog
11-26-2017, 12:28 PM
I disagree with keeping Rui out of the game, but not necessarily pulling him at the moment he made the mistake.

zagzilla
11-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Not just about Rui. He got extended minutes because fillies was in foul trouble. Tillie foul trouble not a factor at that point and he's your starter. Rui did his job and capitalized on his opportunity but I'd rather have KT down the stretch right now.

Well done Rui

Zagceo
11-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Not just about Rui. He got extended minutes because fillies was in foul trouble. Tillie foul trouble not a factor at that point and he's your starter. Rui did his job and capitalized on his opportunity but I'd rather have KT down the stretch right now.

Well done Rui

Rui was dominating is why he got extended min IMHO....energy level high.....Tillie 6 TO and JW3 had 6 TO.....Rui can shoot FT’s...glad we came back to win or Rui hitting the bench would have been a real issue

Larryzag
11-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Williams in the game at the end of regulation when they will foul........ made no sense to me. Rui high scorer not in the game..... made no sense to me.

Goshzagit
11-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Love Coach Few, but not a good move by him THIS game.

Sometimes Rui is a mess, other times this type of frenatic game/pace is perfect for his style of NBA play.

Rui has talent, yet half court aint really one of em, although he made some passes which *shocked* me and didn't think he could do.

Texas could not guard him. No answer.

In football, if the defense cant stop it, keep running it.

Texas could not stop him. In the lane. In transition. Anywhere.

We pulled him because of his mistake, yet he was actually the only player BREAKING the double team press by HIMSELF.

Few gets uncomfortable with his style. I get it, I do as well, yet when the defense wants to let him run loose and cant defend him, well, why stop going to him?

Pretty interesting Texas went on 19-2 run with Rui out.

Tillie made 1 good play for every 4 mistakes. Today Rui made 4 good plays for every 1 mistake.

Really disappointed in Few not turning to him when it's the SPLE reason we were dominating them.

Thumbs down on that coaching decision.

Goshzagit
11-26-2017, 02:02 PM
Tillie my fave player, but given his evident fatigue, his foul trouble was a blessing in disguise for GU today.

Rui had 20 pts from every spot on the court.

GU69
11-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Few had a discussion with Tommy after travel call against Rui ..

Sometimes I'd love to know what they are saying.

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2017, 02:06 PM
I would have loved to see him as the half court release valve at the end of the game during that press. I think that one of the best ways to get a team out of a press is to embarrass them badly a couple of times in a row with easy buckets. We played so conservatively at the end of the game, and it seemed like the guys were catching the ball and waiting for Texas to get into better position to make plays (I know that wasn't the strategy, but it felt like it in the heat of the moment).

bballbeachbum
11-26-2017, 02:23 PM
I hear you JP! Rui can be electric int he open floor to. I think on the play he got yanked he didn't come to a jump stop to secure possession breaking the pressure and he was pressured kind of high trying to break it, and Few blew on something in there; those little fundamental breakdowns kind of worked together to create that turnover imo. Anyway, I have not reviewed video, and if I'm wrong I'll eat it!

john montana
11-26-2017, 02:41 PM
I felt like the only reason we did break the press was Tillie, so you don’t want to go Rui for Tillie. I can see rui for jw3 for foils shooting but hard to take jw3 out. Either way, we just needed to stop panicking and hold onto the ball. Ugly ball handling down the stretch.

Goshzagit
11-26-2017, 02:43 PM
I would have loved to see him as the half court release valve at the end of the game during that press. I think that one of the best ways to get a team out of a press is to embarrass them badly a couple of times in a row with easy buckets. We played so conservatively at the end of the game, and it seemed like the guys were catching the ball and waiting for Texas to get into better position to make plays (I know that wasn't the strategy, but it felt like it in the heat of the moment).

agreed.

he broke the double team trap by himself on at least two occasions.

which was our downfall late in the game.

our guards need to stop dribbling backwards to "assess" the situation during full court presses.

although, Shaka Smart has always featured one of the best presses in the nation. Villanova might press us all game. Better learn quick..

VinnyZag
11-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Rui played great! But I'm not sure he's the guy you want in against the Texas press at this stage of his career.

TacomaZAG
11-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Few collar.

This...................Rui needs minutes with the starters. He is a thoroughbred, needs the learning curve against good competition. He won't learn anything in garbage time against the WCC bottom feeders. IMHO he should be the 6th man for the rest of the year, getting 20+ minutes a game at the 3/4. I don't see him starting because Kispert is too valuable, even as a Frosh, as is Silas as a senior. I would like to see some run with Rui at the 3 and Kispert at the 2, either to give Silas a blow or when Silas moves to the point to give Josh a blow.

How many guys have been broken by the "Few collar"? PMAC, Larry G., etc. Seems like one a year for the past decade at least. Rui is going to lay some eggs, but the upside is too high to rein him in and possibly damage his confidence and get him looking over his shoulder at the bench. Too many guys in the past have played tentative, waiting for the collar if they make a mistake, knowing they may not get another shot after they get yanked. To me, Norvell looks like this year's most likely candidate, hope I'm wrong as we're going to need him later in the year.

So it goes.................

Go ZAGS

dadair
11-26-2017, 04:41 PM
Blanchette on Rui. If I could write half as well ...

http://bit.ly/2BoYsrr

Skimhvn
11-26-2017, 05:02 PM
+12 is excellent.
He seems to be responsible too seriously for one mistake.

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2017, 05:21 PM
+12 is excellent.
He seems to be responsible too seriously for one mistake.

I'm a fan of Rui and am glad he had such a good game against a good team. It looks like he will play more if he continues to remember his defensive assignments, judging by something the coach said.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-26-2017, 05:30 PM
This...................Rui needs minutes with the starters. He is a thoroughbred, needs the learning curve against good competition. He won't learn anything in garbage time against the WCC bottom feeders. IMHO he should be the 6th man for the rest of the year, getting 20+ minutes a game at the 3/4. I don't see him starting because Kispert is too valuable, even as a Frosh, as is Silas as a senior. I would like to see some run with Rui at the 3 and Kispert at the 2, either to give Silas a blow or when Silas moves to the point to give Josh a blow.

How many guys have been broken by the "Few collar"? PMAC, Larry G., etc. Seems like one a year for the past decade at least. Rui is going to lay some eggs, but the upside is too high to rein him in and possibly damage his confidence and get him looking over his shoulder at the bench. Too many guys in the past have played tentative, waiting for the collar if they make a mistake, knowing they may not get another shot after they get yanked. To me, Norvell looks like this year's most likely candidate, hope I'm wrong as we're going to need him later in the year.

So it goes.................

Go ZAGS

Yeah, Mark Few must not know what he’s doing.

Skimhvn
11-26-2017, 05:33 PM
I'm a fan of Rui and am glad he had such a good game against a good team. It looks like he will play more if he continues to remember his defensive assignments, judging by something the coach said.

Yes, he seems to be improving D every game! That would make coaches have confidence on him.

TacomaZAG
11-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Yeah, Mark Few must not know what he’s doing.

C'mon GFlex, you're better than that. If you disagree with me, that's fine, tell me why. I typically enjoy your posts, even if/when I disagree with you.

Everyone knows Few is a great coach, there is no disputing that. It's just when people anoint him as omnipotent that I get a little sideways. A lot of guys have suffered from the "collar" over the years. Maybe that was a team positive, maybe not. There's no way to know.............

No team or coach is perfect. I wouldn't trade Coach Few for anyone, it's all about getting better, both as players, coaches, and teams. I just happen to think the team will be better with a confident Rui in March as opposed to a tentative one. You may disagree with all or part of that.

So it goes............

Go ZAGS

Malastein
11-26-2017, 09:40 PM
This team will be that much more dangerous if he can consistently perform at that level. Right now, he looks lost occasionally. His last few minutes on the court weren’t great, and appeared to be the start of Texas gaining momentum. This team can’t rely on its starters as much as it does come March. Rui could become a special contributor by year’s end...

Zagceo
11-26-2017, 09:46 PM
This team will be that much more dangerous if he can consistently perform at that level. Right now, he looks lost occasionally. His last few minutes on the court weren’t great, and appeared to be the start of Texas gaining momentum. This team can’t rely on its starters as much as it does come March. Rui could become a special contributor by year’s end...

Rui left the game w/ 6:37 remaining and Zags up 15.....just saying

ZagNative
11-26-2017, 09:58 PM
Darnay Tripp posted this tweeted interview with Rui. https://twitter.com/DarnayTripp/status/934895634565406720

What a cute boy! I'm happy for him!

Zagceo
11-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Thx ZN.....million dollar smile

ZagNative
11-26-2017, 10:12 PM
It will be fun to watch that young man grow and become more proficient with the language over the next couple of years.

Thx ZN.....million dollar smile

Skimhvn
11-26-2017, 10:17 PM
His eyes look biggest in the NCAA players.
Btw his younger brother Aren Hachimura looks more asian than Rui :rolleyes:.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLdBCF9VoAALpoL.jpg

Zagger
11-27-2017, 03:28 AM
Darnay Tripp posted this tweeted interview with Rui. https://twitter.com/DarnayTripp/status/934895634565406720

What a cute boy! I'm happy for him!

That was great. Thanks for the link. Rui's attitude seems to match his skills. I don't think this will be the last time this season that Rui scores 20 points in a game :)

75Zag
11-27-2017, 04:51 AM
When I saw the title to this thread I thought we were going to be talking about something else.

But if we are going to be talking about basketball, Rui appears to have tremendous upside potential and given his obvious love of the game and enthusiasm, I am not worried about him at all. He will be a great GU player and I think Few and the staff know that and are doing what they can to improve his skills.

Go Bulldogs!

Reborn
11-27-2017, 06:45 AM
When Rui was out of the game and on the bench, he cheered more, he cheered louder and jumped higher than anyone else on the bench. His smile penetrate me all the way to my soul. He makes everyone feel better I believe. Rui seemed happy on the bench; so I am too. He got 28 minutes and played a great game. There is so much ahead of him, and i THINK he knows it, so I'm happy that he's improving, and he will continue to do so. If I had coached that game, I would have left him in. He's a better ball handler in open space then Tillie is. He a way better dribbler. Tillie had a tough time with the press.

Ezag
11-27-2017, 07:34 AM

Nah, we all look alike HAHA

bartruff1
11-27-2017, 07:38 AM
I don't think it is possible to know what the coaches motives are without knowing all the facts....you can assume, you can speculate you can rationalize but you don't know.....

Zagceo
11-27-2017, 07:50 AM
I don't think it is possible to know what the coaches motives are without knowing all the facts....you can assume, you can speculate you can rationalize but you don't know.....

..... one of the best players against Texas did not play the last 11 min (including OT) ...think a reporter might inquire as to why? just asking

willandi
11-27-2017, 07:55 AM
..... one of the best players against Texas did not play the last 11 min (including OT) ...think a reporter might inquire as to why? just asking

But it was sooo important to know who Perkins thought would play Few in the movie.

Rubbish reporting.

thespywhozaggedme
11-27-2017, 07:58 AM

Is he any good at basketball?

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 09:14 AM
When Rui was out of the game and on the bench, he cheered more, he cheered louder and jumped higher than anyone else on the bench. His smile penetrate me all the way to my soul. He makes everyone feel better I believe. Rui seemed happy on the bench; so I am too. He got 28 minutes and played a great game. There is so much ahead of him, and i THINK he knows it, so I'm happy that he's improving, and he will continue to do so. If I had coached that game, I would have left him in. He's a better ball handler in open space then Tillie is. He a way better dribbler. Tillie had a tough time with the press.

No doubt he feels at home in Zagland, really showing it this year. Kid's got a good head on his shoulders. That smile of his is infectious!

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 09:17 AM

Ceo, I wouldn't read too much into it. My sense is that Coach wanted to see how certain players would respond in that situation. Plenty of grist for the coaches to use in practice.

But for a rare missed FT by Silas, the conversation here today would be radically different. I loved it that Silas made the steal that put the Longhorns out of their misery.

Zagdawg
11-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Agree about the smile-- his cheering on the bench is great -- maybe rival Rem on the sidelines.

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Agree about the smile-- his cheering on the bench is great -- maybe rival Rem on the sidelines.

From what I've heard, Ayayi has been a great teammate, too. Let's face it, they're all family, a close knit group.

Skimhvn
11-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Is he any good at basketball?

He is very good at highschool ball, but far away from Rui.

GeorgiaZagFan
11-27-2017, 11:49 PM
What do you think of Rui sitting after traveling call with 7 min left in regulation?

Didnít return until late in OT

I would have liked to see Rui against the Texas press....have him just over the half court line ..and when we break the press and pass it to him he takes it to the basket..there is NOT a single college defender that could stop him without fouling..

CDC84
11-28-2017, 08:21 AM
One thing is for sure.....Few made it clear after the game that they felt that Rui might excel in the Texas game because of its free wheeling NBA style. In other words, it wasn't a half court grinder. I am not sure the staff is very confident in Rui to be able to handle the half court grinders. Also, as Norlander mentioned, Rui has a lot to learn defensively still. Being athletic and long is not enough. He's getting better, but he's not there yet. Kispert is even ahead of him in this area.

Zagceo
11-28-2017, 08:27 AM
One thing is for sure.....Few made it clear after the game that they felt that Rui might excel in the Texas game because of its free wheeling NBA style. In other words, it wasn't a half court grinder. I am not sure the staff is very confident in Rui to be able to handle the half court grinders. Also, as Norlander mentioned, Rui has a lot to learn defensively still. Being athletic and long is not enough. He's getting better, but he's not there yet. Kispert is even ahead of him in this area.

when Rui left game Zags up 15 with 6 min left in reg.....Did Few decide to make it a half court grinder to kill the clock?

bballbeachbum
11-28-2017, 10:11 AM
when Rui left game Zags up 15 with 6 min left in reg.....Did Few decide to make it a half court grinder to kill the clock?

good question man, that may have played into it. the Shaka press UT employed was not free wheeling NBA either, maybe that played into it too and the need to execute jump stops and spacing, tho I still wonder if Rui might of had a couple opportunities to electrify in that situation if stationed up the floor as the menacing finisher. whatever, more opportunities to come against pressure ahead.

another note, plenty of Zags appeared to not like that NBA style (and they seemed to have tired legs too), although I don't like that term for what Shaka is doing. and defensively, it was the best I've seen from Rui, warts and all; he made a difference and helped change the tide from that slow start the Zags were having. if he can box out a little better would be a big thing, even if he doesn't get the rebound

Zagceo
11-28-2017, 08:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcmH_LSNrok

ZagNative
11-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the highlights, Zagceo! That was fun!

El Zag
11-29-2017, 11:41 AM
negative reinforcement