PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Texas Post Game thoughts and analysis

Reborn
11-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Gonzaga 76
Texas 71

Heart ATTACk. Close to it. Give TEXAS credit. A TYPICAL Chakra Smart team. Great pressing team, tough, and positive. Give credit to Gonzaga for hanging in there in the overtime. It's isn't easy to get back up and be positive after blowing a 21 point lead in the 2nd half. Good to see such a really good game from Hachimura. Few does appreciate his game and doesn't play him much in 2nd half. Overall, Gonzaga played pretty bad, and especially against the press in the 2nd half. Josh Perkins was pretty bad at the end of the against Texas' full-court press.. He committed 4 turnovers in the last 2 minutes of the game against Texas' press. However, he played great the other 38 minutes as committed no turnovers and scored 16 points and made 5 three pointers. He can really shoot the 3 ball. Gonzaga made 11 threes for the game. Melson made 2 tonight. Gonzaga did play great defense too as Texas committed 20 turnovers. Just shows us how much better the defense is at the beginning of the season than the offense. Gonzaga will be at home next week and will have another very tough game against Creighton next Friday.

If you have a chance listen and watch some of the videos of the game. You'll be able to hear how loud it was in there, FOR BOTH TEAMS. Lots of noise for Texas as well. In the end I'm kind of glad it turned out to be a great game between two great coaches. I kind of figured that Texas would make a stand and create a comeback. Glad to see Melson come through at the end of regulation to hit a dynamic 3 pointer just ahead of the 30 second buzzer, and he hit it from 10 feet past the 3 pt line. I'm really happy to see him come back with such a great game, AT HOME.

tyra
11-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Why so few minutes for Jacob?

former1dog
11-26-2017, 11:36 AM
It got ugly, but the bottom line is that we have a very, very good team!! Potential season result is sky high!!

Florida will be a top 10 team all season and Iím picking them to win the SEC as well as beat Duke tonight.

Texas has potential to be a top 15 team and finish top 3 or 4 in their conference.

bartruff1
11-26-2017, 11:47 AM
I really didn't think they could play this bad.....and win...

jazzdelmar
11-26-2017, 11:48 AM

All time great comment, BART.

bballbeachbum
11-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Tillie and JIII each with 6 turnovers but kept playing, Kispert with a tired game looking like a freshman at times but played through it. Josh was doing some great things for a while but faded and brain farted as all will discuss in ventilation in numerous threads I'm sure; he did some great things tho and needs a rest, he's gonna burn up

no pouting heads down tho in OT, everyone kept playing, even with the errors from many Zag contributors, not just Josh's howler! got to love that #### people!!! after 2 OT loss 36 hours ago or whatever it is, and that test...pretty tough response from the boys, totally with you on that Reborn. Shows a lot both tactically and emotionally what happened in that game imo, and thought the Zags were going to be toast in OT

the slow down game needs the refinement, imho, of attacking the rim and getting to the free throw line to close out games, the Zags in the bonus pretty early too but could not capitalize. The Shaka press was not handled well; as noted in the game thread, Zags did not look to punish the high press by attacking the rim with the numbers advantage and instead pulled back, which would have been fin except then they struggled to score while allowing Shaka to gamble like a madman with no punishment...somehting like that

all true, but the Zags still won. this team is not perfect, but they battled haaaard, while tired. there's leadership to do that and overcome, errors and all

Rui breakout game, a variety of releases, perimeter defensive impact and more. Wow he was moving freely and playing without the reservation he has appeared to show. He was beautiful to watch once he got going, and Few went to him. It was like Rui began to believe his stuff dominates at this level too and Few kept telling him that he believes in him too! so cool

right on Silas!!! what a turnaround down the stretch for him tonight :)

bballbeachbum
11-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Why so few minutes for Jacob?

imo because Zags went M2M and so far that has proven not to be his forte, but maybe others know more, like an injury or something

bballbeachbum
11-26-2017, 11:56 AM

I hear you. It means they did a lot of things well too though, to pull it off and overcome themselves!
lots of dow jones action, very exciting or whatever one might call that ;)
:cheers: bart, I'm going to enjoy this ugly one

GrizZAG
11-26-2017, 12:00 PM
Why would you pull Rui out for that final stretch? The game changed quickly without him. He had his breakout game in college basketball scoring 20 points, 9 rebounds and only two fouls when he was yanked. He was definitely a difference maker IMO>

Mantua
11-26-2017, 12:03 PM
If we see performances like this one again (Fill in the blank).

Zags11
11-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Ugly ending but got the W. I hate seeing 16+ leads evaporate.

CaliZag07
11-26-2017, 12:48 PM
This was the perfect game for us this early in the year.

1. It gives Few and co. plenty of tape to review and dissect as we prepare for Nova
2. It forces us to work more on breaking full court pressure
3. It reminds this team they still have a long way to go in order to develop into their full potential as a team
4. It forced us to have to forget the late mistakes and finish the game
5. We leave the talent-laden PK80 with 2 wins and a 3rd place finish

Now we sit back and root for Texas to win out.

DixieZag
11-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Tillie and JIII each with 6 turnovers but kept playing, Kispert with a tired game looking like a freshman at times but played through it. Josh was doing some great things for a while but faded and brain farted as all will discuss in ventilation in numerous threads I'm sure; he did some great things tho and needs a rest, he's gonna burn up

no pouting heads down tho in OT, everyone kept playing, even with the errors from many Zag contributors, not just Josh's howler! got to love that #### people!!! after 2 OT loss 36 hours ago or whatever it is, and that test...pretty tough response from the boys, totally with you on that Reborn. Shows a lot both tactically and emotionally what happened in that game imo, and thought the Zags were going to be toast in OT

the slow down game needs the refinement, imho, of attacking the rim and getting to the free throw line to close out games, the Zags in the bonus pretty early too but could not capitalize. The Shaka press was not handled well; as noted in the game thread, Zags did not look to punish the high press by attacking the rim with the numbers advantage and instead pulled back, which would have been fin except then they struggled to score while allowing Shaka to gamble like a madman with no punishment...somehting like that

all true, but the Zags still won. this team is not perfect, but they battled haaaard, while tired. there's leadership to do that and overcome, errors and all

Rui breakout game, a variety of releases, perimeter defensive impact and more. Wow he was moving freely and playing without the reservation he has appeared to show. He was beautiful to watch once he got going, and Few went to him. It was like Rui began to believe his stuff dominates at this level too and Few kept telling him that he believes in him too! so cool

right on Silas!!! what a turnaround down the stretch for him tonight :)

I didn't get a chance to see the game, but thank you for this, b/c now I think I know the important points.

Zagger
11-26-2017, 01:09 PM
3 games in 3 1/2-ish days against decent programs w/ the 2nd one being an epic 2OT thriller vs. a top 10 team .... I think the sizeable lead vs Texas got the Zags off their edge. However, Melson kept us in it - which gave Rui’s 20 all that much more value. These Zags are definitely exciting! It’s looking to be a special season.
Side note #1 - thanks forum bunch for stepping up and significantly (IMHO) lessening the bickering and negative content. Posts are mostly fun & worthwhile to read again :)
Side note #2 - sure hope Florida kicks Dook posterior!

Larryzag
11-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Why would you pull Rui out for that final stretch? The game changed quickly without him. He had his breakout game in college basketball scoring 20 points, 9 rebounds and only two fouls when he was yanked. He was definitely a difference maker IMO>

This is a legit question for you basketball experts. What do you think Few's reason was for keeping Williams in for free-throw shooting time near the end of regulation and not inserting the games' high scorer at that time?

Reborn
11-26-2017, 01:51 PM
If you have a chance listen and watch some of the videos of the game. You'll be able to hear how loud it was in there, FOR BOTH TEAMS. Lots of noise for Texas as well. In the end I'm kind of glad it turned out to be a great game between two great coaches. I kind of figured that Texas would make a stand and create a comeback. Glad to see Melson come through at the end of regulation to hit a dynamic 3 pointer just ahead of the 30 second buzzer, and he hit it from 10 feet past the 3 pt line. I'm really happy to see him come back with such a great game, AT HOME.[/QUOTE]

sheps001
11-26-2017, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=Reborn;1340265]Gonzaga 76
Texas 71

Heart ATTACk. Close to it. Give TEXAS credit. A TYPICAL Chakra Smart team. Great pressing team, tough, and positive. Give credit to Gonzaga for hanging in there in the overtime. It's isn't easy to get back up and be positive after blowing a 21 point lead in the 2nd half. Good to see such a really good game from Hachimura. Few does appreciate his game and doesn't play him much in 2nd half. Overall, Gonzaga played pretty bad, and especially against the press in the 2nd half. Josh Perkins was pretty bad. He committed 4 turnovers in the last 2 minutes of the game against Texas' press. However, he played great the other 38 minutes as committed no turnovers and scored 16 points and made 5 three pointers. He can really shoot the 3 ball. Gonzaga made 11 threes for the game. Melson made 2 tonight. Gonzaga did play great defense too as Texas committed 20 turnovers. Just shows us how much better the defense is at the beginning of the season than the offense. Gonzaga will be at home next week and will have another very tough game against Creighton next Friday.

ZAG ALUM FROM CHICAGO. If you remember last year against Northwestern. We fell apart at the end of the second half and NU closed in on us for the kill. BUT Then there was the blown call against Zach Collins putting his hand through the hoop to block a sure two points. Their coach Collins blew it by storming the court and drawing an immediate penalty which completely changed things. We calmed down and went on to win the game. Didn't see the finish here but it seems the same thing happened.

MORAL. Don't get flustered. Play in the moment and take a time out if possible.

ProVeeZag
11-26-2017, 04:28 PM
My 2 bits: Yes, Zags looked inept against the Longhorn press, but...

Momentum had shifted big-time well before the UT full-court press was employed. Going from memory here, around 12 minute mark and 20+ point lead, Zags began noticeably throttling back the offense in ill-designed attempt to milk some clock. IMO, that is far too early to change out of an uptempo O-pace that got us the big lead in the 1st place. Again, from memory, we were stuck on 57 for what seemed like an eternity after playing the 1st half at a pace that suggested a 90-point outburst was in the making for the full game. My takeaway is this: I don't think the Longhorn's press would have been nearly as effective had we not played "crawl-ball" and self-eviscerated our offense. Momentum switched big-time, which then made the press that much tougher.

Overall, though, the PK 80 was a great tournament for GU, pushing an exceptional Florida squad to the limit, and laying solid groundwork for a great season to come. Florida looks like it will be a beast this season and Texas may surprise in Big 12. Rui showed me a ton of improvement from last year, JW III is a freakin' load inside and can stroke the 3 if left alone. Kispert will only get better as season develops, already playing at high level offensively and on glass. Gonna' be another fun-ride!

Hoopaholic
11-26-2017, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=Reborn;1340265]Gonzaga 76
Texas 71

Heart ATTACk. Close to it. Give TEXAS credit. A TYPICAL Chakra Smart team. Great pressing team, tough, and positive. Give credit to Gonzaga for hanging in there in the overtime. It's isn't easy to get back up and be positive after blowing a 21 point lead in the 2nd half. Good to see such a really good game from Hachimura. Few does appreciate his game and doesn't play him much in 2nd half. Overall, Gonzaga played pretty bad, and especially against the press in the 2nd half. Josh Perkins was pretty bad. He committed 4 turnovers in the last 2 minutes of the game against Texas' press. However, he played great the other 38 minutes as committed no turnovers and scored 16 points and made 5 three pointers. He can really shoot the 3 ball. Gonzaga made 11 threes for the game. Melson made 2 tonight. Gonzaga did play great defense too as Texas committed 20 turnovers. Just shows us how much better the defense is at the beginning of the season than the offense. Gonzaga will be at home next week and will have another very tough game against Creighton next Friday.

ZAG ALUM FROM CHICAGO. If you remember last year against Northwestern. We fell apart at the end of the second half and NU closed in on us for the kill. BUT Then there was the blown call against Zach Collins putting his hand through the hoop to block a sure two points. Their coach Collins blew it by storming the court and drawing an immediate penalty which completely changed things. We calmed down and went on to win the game. Didn't see the finish here but it seems the same thing happened.

MORAL. Don't get flustered. Play in the moment and take a time out if possible.

We had two timeouts never used. Ouch

CdAZagFan
11-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Wow... definitely a nail biter - especially when they got behind at the start of the OT. BUT great lessons and experience this early in the season - hopefully will pay off later. I hope Rui realizes he can be a force when he wants to (that will help take some of the scoring pressure off JWIII/Tillie/Perkins).

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Zags showed great heart and mental toughness to regain their composure in OT and get the W.

One thing I can’t fathom though: after completely rattling the Zags w their press and storming back to tie the game, Texas scores on the 1st possession of OT...AND THEN THEY DON’T PRESS! Seems to me they missed a big opportunity to keep Zags on their heels right there.

Reborn
11-26-2017, 07:02 PM
This is a legit question for you basketball experts. What do you think Few's reason was for keeping Williams in for free-throw shooting time near the end of regulation and not inserting the games' high scorer at that time?

The only thing I can think of is that he's a senior and he's the leader of this team. Most likely Few believes the team needs his presence on the court. I would have had Rui in for Tillie though. That would be my question. Tillie really did not have a good game and Hachimura did.

sheps001
11-26-2017, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=sheps001;1340431]

We had two timeouts never used. Ouch

The coaches got flustered and almost blew it. One should have been designated to keep track of such things. Blame them big time.

Larryzag
11-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the answer. I kind of thought the same thing but his free-throw shooting is such a liability I kept waiting and waiting for the substitution to happen. And then he misses two near the end of regulation. I hope Few gets more confidence in Rui soon.

GeorgiaZagFan
11-26-2017, 07:52 PM
...one of the things I was taught and carried with me into my coaching days was ...when a team presses you and you beat their press you have to make them pay by attacking the basket. Almost everytime you break the press you will have numbers ...you attack and if they recover then you pull it back out and run offense. The Zags almost NEVER attacked Texas' press and almost lost the game because of it..

Zags11
11-26-2017, 07:54 PM
...one of the things I was taught and carried with me into my coaching days was ...when a team presses you and you beat their press you have to make them pay by attacking the basket. Almost everytime you break the press you will have numbers ...you attack and if they recover then you pull it back out and run offense. The Zags almost NEVER attacked Texas' press and almost lost the game because of it..

Told to kill the clock. This isn't the first time. It won't be the last.

CDC84
11-26-2017, 10:47 PM
One thing that Bilas continues to get wrong is his analysis of Gonzaga's recruiting. He said today thay Josh Perkins may have been the biggest recruit that Gonzaga had landed up to the point that he committed to GU. Well, I will give him credit for saying "may have." That would Matt Bouldin in 2006, who ranked at 45 with Rivals and was a near universal top 60 player. Perkins was more in the high sixties to high seventies.....right around where Gary Bell Jr. was ranked. Austin Daye was 25 with Rivals. Steven Gray was in the mid-60's with Rivals. He wasn't at GU very long, but Theo Davis was considered a top 40 guy with most services. Lastly, although Heytvelt wasn't ranked in the top 100 with a few services, I am not aware of a single blueblood besides Duke who didn't offer him. Roy Williams was famous for his private plane flights into Clarkston.

I can't wait until next year when Jay covers Filip Petrusev and says that GU does such a great recruiting job w/ international players in an effort to compete with the "big boys" when, in fact, Filip chose GU over Arizona, Kansas, Florida and many other high majors:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/r...nzaga-bulldogs

MDABE80
11-26-2017, 10:59 PM
Bilas has turned into a "blabber" with "filler" stories on his brain. Not sure why. he used to be pretty solid and his facts lined up.
He's different now......and les accurate in what he says.
One thing that surprise me how little the networks and scribes are noting how well the Zags did. Easily we should have beaten Florida. Never a mention ( other than OT comments) that we actually kicked their butts for most of the game and squandered a big big lead. A FT should have been made....but that was the big difference. I bring this up because of all the praises for Florida today.......Where was our love???

I'm thinking we should be elevated even though we stumbled against TX today but we won.
Maybe it's just me but I'm warming to the concept that this is an very good group and once the other 3-4 kids get more experience, we'll be better than anyone imagined.
So that's it for a long weekend. Go Zags!

Zags11
11-26-2017, 11:12 PM
Bilas has turned into a "blabber" with "filler" stories on his brain. Not sure why. he used to be pretty solid and his facts lined up.
He's different now......and les accurate in what he says.
One thing that surprise me how little the networks and scribes are noting how well the Zags did. Easily we should have beaten Florida. Never a mention ( other than OT comments) that we actually kicked their butts for most of the game and squandered a big big lead. A FT should have been made....but that was the big difference. I bring this up because of all the praises for Florida today.......Where was our love???

I'm thinking we should be elevated even though we stumbled against TX today but we won.
Maybe it's just me but I'm warming to the concept that this is an very good group and once the other 3-4 kids get more experience, we'll be better than anyone imagined.
So that's it for a long weekend. Go Zags!

This zags team can play with anyone. I know its early but they can.

MileHigh
11-27-2017, 04:02 AM

You hit the nail on the head there. When Texas jumped them with that fullcourt zone press, they had a couple of quick turnovers because they were not setting up correctly. Few called a timeout,got them situated correctly, and they then easily beat the press by passing over it, but once they broke it, instead of attacking they would pick up their dribble waiting for a teammate to pass to so they could run some clock and then Texas would trap them again on the perimeter and that is where a bunch of those turnovers occurred. Played right into Texas' hand. The last TO by Josh was just a plain ole brain fart. He never should have attempted the deep home run pass while on the move, with a 7 footer jumping in his face, and a free safety sitting at half court reading his eyes. Good thing is that he knows it was stupid,will learn from it, and they still got the W