PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bilas: "this team is picked 2nd in its league?"

Saxon_zag
11-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Coming off a Final 4 and 20 years of dominance, everyones thoughts exactly Jay. Except apparently WCC coaches... Still the weirdest pre-season poll ever.

Zags11
11-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Probably boring to pick one team for decades. ;)

CarolinaZagFan
11-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Is it just me or does he and Dan Shulman look more and more alike every season?

Radbooks
11-26-2017, 11:24 AM

My mom thought they were twins! :)

willandi
11-26-2017, 11:26 AM

The owners and their dogs often look alike. I just don't know which is which! Dog!!

bartruff1
11-26-2017, 11:30 AM
I don't think the WCC coaches are stupid...it was a preseason poll and no one could be sure of how Kispert and the others would play....Gonzaga might be a slight favorite now.....but that second half against Texas was terrible....and dumb...

Jazz said that Texas was the dumbest team in the country....but not this day...

jazzdelmar
11-26-2017, 11:44 AM
I don't think the WCC coaches are stupid...it was a preseason poll and no one could be sure of how Kispert and the others would play....Gonzaga might be a slight favorite now.....but that second half against Texas was terrible....and dumb...

Jazz said that Texas was the dumbest team in the country....but not this day...

Dumb and dumber, Bart. Texas didn’t smarten up, as it were, GU got real stupid. The less dumb won.

Mantua
11-26-2017, 12:18 PM
We’ll see about that after playing Villanova.

TexasZagFan
11-26-2017, 12:19 PM
Dumb and dumber, Bart. Texas didn’t smarten up, as it were, GU got real stupid. The less dumb won.

From what I could tell, the vast majority of the players on the court were freshmen and sophomores. That can lead to less than optimum decision making on the court.

caduceus
11-26-2017, 12:29 PM
I don't know about that statement, but for crying out loud, stop trying to make Fewie & Rui a thing. That was cringe-inducing in the interviews.

Goshzagit
11-26-2017, 03:01 PM
I loved it.

The entire team said, "it doesn't sit well with us".

Even J3, the quietest player on the team piped up to say it upset him, as well as Perkins, Silas, et al.

No matter what happens to SMC or GU prior to WCC play, it provided an even bigger chip on our shoulder.

Gave a sense of purpose come January

CDC84
11-26-2017, 03:06 PM
To take from another thread. SMC just lost their second game in a row........to Georgia.

They are now going to REALLY have to rely on the Gonzaga games to get in the dance. WSU and UGA aren't exactly Kansas or even Texas.

Goshzagit
11-26-2017, 03:12 PM
To take from another thread. SMC just lost their second game in a row........to Georgia.

They are now going to REALLY have to rely on the Gonzaga games to get in the dance. WSU and UGA aren't exactly Kansas or even Texas.

heck, or even Ohio St.

Ohio St beat Stanford, then lost a heartbreaker in OT to Butler today.

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2017, 03:28 PM

Ouch. That smarts.

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2017, 03:30 PM
I don't know about that statement, but for crying out loud, stop trying to make Fewie & Rui a thing. That was cringe-inducing in the interviews.

I’m sure most coaches hate those halftime interviews, and Few gets a question about that?! His reaction was completely justified. Maybe after the game after a win, but...

CanadianZagsFan
11-26-2017, 04:27 PM
There is some bo-dunk guy from Moscow, Idaho (no offense if you are from there) getting into lengthy Twitter argument with me and one other Zags fan. Calling Perkins out and team depth. I believe he picked Gonzaga 2nd , but that was NOT my point of argument with him. My Twitter handle is KJ_Lups

Also got a bunch of likes on what I wrote Seth Davis over the weekend. He has seemed to retract this weekend by writing "Zags have dudes". I believe he was ANOTHER in long list to pick St Marys over Zags.

I don't have huggeeee issue with people picking St Marys to win, whatever ... But the lack of knowledge on Zags program after going to national title game is utterly shocking !? I know they lost guys to NBA /graduation, but research done on Zags this offseason by "experts" was pathetic. Straight pathetic.

OZZY
11-26-2017, 05:38 PM
There is some bo-dunk guy from Moscow, Idaho (no offense if you are from there) getting into lengthy Twitter argument with me and one other Zags fan. Calling Perkins out and team depth. I believe he picked Gonzaga 2nd , but that was NOT my point of argument with him. My Twitter handle is KJ_Lups

Also got a bunch of likes on what I wrote Seth Davis over the weekend. He has seemed to retract this weekend by writing "Zags have dudes". I believe he was ANOTHER in long list to pick St Marys over Zags.

I don't have huggeeee issue with people picking St Marys to win, whatever ... But the lack of knowledge on Zags program after going to national title game is utterly shocking !? I know they lost guys to NBA /graduation, but research done on Zags this offseason by "experts" was pathetic. Straight pathetic.

+1

At some point in time people just have to realise that Mark Few (and the rest of the GU coaching staff) knows what he is doing.......

thespywhozaggedme
11-26-2017, 05:54 PM

Excellent post

GrizZAG
11-26-2017, 06:29 PM
I'm not so sure many US knew what we were going to be this year.

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2017, 06:45 PM

I agree. I had a few questions:
-Was Perkins going to be a bona fide PG?
-How would Tillie and JW3 handle the duties down low (offense and defense)?
-Were Larsen, Kispert and Norvell ready to contribute?
-How good was the defense going to be?
-What actor would play Mark Few in the sitcom: Rui & Fewie?

Since pre-season polls are based on returning players, and GU was needing to replace 4 major contributors, I didn’t put much thought into it. But after seeing a few minutes of SMC against WSU they looked pedestrian. They have a lot of time to get things worked out, though. I’m not as worried about Jock now after seeing the Zags play (including Larsen).

thespywhozaggedme
11-26-2017, 06:47 PM

I have been shouting from the mountain tops all off-season that I expect an elite eight for this team. The talent is ridiculous.

GrizZAG
11-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Many, not all obviously LOL...:clap::clap:

Larryzag
11-26-2017, 07:26 PM
I agree. I had a few questions:
-Was Perkins going to be a bona fide PG?
-How would Tillie and JW3 handle the duties down low (offense and defense)?
-Were Larsen, Kispert and Norvell ready to contribute?
-How good was the defense going to be?
-What actor would play Mark Few in the sitcom: Rui & Fewie?

Since pre-season polls are based on returning players, and GU was needing to replace 4 major contributors, I didn’t put much thought into it. But after seeing a few minutes of SMC against WSU they looked pedestrian. They have a lot of time to get things worked out, though. I’m not as worried about Jock now after seeing the Zags play (including Larsen).

1. Perkins - Yes
2. Tillie and JW3 - Great
3. Larsen - Improving, Kispert - Yes+, Norvell - Will get there
4. Defense - Really good.... most of the time
5. Actor - Peewee Herman

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2017, 07:26 PM
I have been shouting from the mountain tops all off-season that I expect an elite eight for this team. The talent is ridiculous.

How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news.

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Many, not all obviously LOL...:clap::clap:

Indeed :]

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2017, 07:43 PM
1. Perkins - Yes
2. Tillie and JW3 - Great
3. Larsen - Improving, Kispert - Yes+, Norvell - Will get there
4. Defense - Really good.... most of the time
5. Actor - Peewee Herman

I'm with you on 1-4. And although not my first choice, I would hear your case for #5, assuming pre-movie theater incident Peewee.

CDC84
11-26-2017, 10:35 PM
One thing that Bilas continues to get wrong is his analysis of Gonzaga's recruiting. He said today thay Josh Perkins may have been the biggest recruit that Gonzaga had landed up to the point that he committed to GU. Well, I will give him credit for saying "may have." That would Matt Bouldin in 2006, who ranked at 45 with Rivals and was a near universal top 60 player. Perkins was more in the high sixties to high seventies.....right around where Gary Bell Jr. was ranked. Austin Daye was 25 with Rivals. Steven Gray was in the mid-60's with Rivals. He wasn't at GU very long, but Theo Davis was considered a top 40 guy with most services. Lastly, although Heytvelt wasn't ranked in the top 100 with a few services, I am not aware of a single blueblood besides Duke who didn't offer him. Roy Williams was famous for his private plane flights into Clarkston.

I can't wait until next year when Jay covers Filip Petrusev and says that GU does such a great job w/ recruiting international players in an effort to compete with the "big boys" when, in fact, Filip chose GU over Arizona, Kansas, Florida and many other high majors:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/21111885/serbian-big-man-filip-petrusev-commits-gonzaga-bulldogs

CDC84
11-26-2017, 10:50 PM
I’m sure most coaches hate those halftime interviews, and Few gets a question about that?! His reaction was completely justified. Maybe after the game after a win, but...

Jeff Goodman is one of the biggest imbeciles in the business. He and Dakich deserve each other.

EEzag
11-26-2017, 11:25 PM
Jeff Goodman is one of the biggest imbeciles in the business. He and Dakich deserve each other.

Truth. It's as if we don't think the game is the entertainment and we are provided with these jesters. Felt kinda bad for Dakich's kid.

Sarenyon
11-27-2017, 02:51 AM
AMC dropped their final game to Georgia. Need to win those type of games if you're going to be the best in the league.

WallaWallaZag
11-27-2017, 03:02 AM
One thing that Bilas continues to get wrong is his analysis of Gonzaga's recruiting. He said today thay Josh Perkins may have been the biggest recruit that Gonzaga had landed up to the point that he committed to GU. Well, I will give him credit for saying "may have." That would Matt Bouldin in 2006, who ranked at 45 with Rivals and was a near universal top 60 player. Perkins was more in the high sixties to high seventies.....right around where Gary Bell Jr. was ranked. Austin Daye was 25 with Rivals. Steven Gray was in the mid-60's with Rivals. He wasn't at GU very long, but Theo Davis was considered a top 40 guy with most services. Lastly, although Heytvelt wasn't ranked in the top 100 with a few services, I am not aware of a single blueblood besides Duke who didn't offer him. Roy Williams was famous for his private plane flights into Clarkston.

to be fair...perkins dropped considerably his senior year...i seem to recall a couple places having him as a five star at one point early on.

jazzdelmar
11-27-2017, 04:08 AM

1,000%. How many times they run the footage of him walking, all slouchy, disheveled and knock kneed, between the venues?

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 04:19 AM
1,000%. How many times they run the footage of him walking, all slouchy, disheveled and knock kneed, between the venues?

How did he keep his gig at ESPN? You can throw Dakich in there too. He must be a big favorite in Big Ten country.

jazzdelmar
11-27-2017, 04:30 AM
How did he keep his gig at ESPN? You can throw Dakich in there too. He must be a big favorite in Big Ten country.

Seems more like an East Coast guy to me....Dakich is pure cornball, shyt kicker, however.

GoZags
11-27-2017, 04:50 AM
to be fair...perkins dropped considerably his senior year...i seem to recall a couple places having him as a five star at one point early on.

Shortly before heading to West Virginia for his Senior year, Josh Perkins was Scout.com's 25th ranked player in the nation (and #36 overall).
https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2014-summer

Edited to add this copy/paste of Summer '14 (the recognizable guys around Josh).

34 36 10.6 Grayson Allen 35 24 34 34 56 34 389 6-3 WG Riverview, FL Duke
35 36 7.5 Reid Travis 34 23 39 40 37 45 388 6-7 PF Minneapolis, MN
36 37 7.2 Josh Perkins 33 38 25 46 39 41 384 6-2 PG Huntington, WV Gonzaga
37 38 7.4 Chris Chiozza 47 42 43 38 31 28 377 5-10 PG Memphis, TN Florida

JPtheBeasta
11-27-2017, 06:07 AM

Maybe they both come cheap?

thespywhozaggedme
11-27-2017, 06:57 AM

I think the old school term doofus is an apt description of Goodman

Goshzagit
11-27-2017, 07:00 AM
Shortly before heading to West Virginia for his Senior year, Josh Perkins was Scout.com's 25th ranked player in the nation (and #36 overall).

Edited to add this copy/paste of Summer '14 (the recognizable guys around Josh).

interesting factoid, plus all 4 of those players were competing at the PK80 this wkend, and their teams' respective stars (save Allen).

thespywhozaggedme
11-27-2017, 07:03 AM

OK, this made me laugh out loud. For those of us that are old enough to remember he is the living embodiment of Oscar Madison from the odd couple.

GoZags
11-27-2017, 07:06 AM
interesting factoid, plus all 4 of those players were competing at the PK80 this wkend, and their teams' respective stars (save Allen).

Yes ... and all 4 were in the "Motion" bracket ....

FlyZag

Pretty good group of players right there. Key cogs to each of their teams. All of them REALLY good and the rankings seem fair. I might swap the places of Travis and Chiozza if I were re-ranking them.

jazzdelmar
OK, this made me laugh out loud. For those of us that are old enough to remember he is the living embodiment of Oscar Madison from the odd couple.

Without the hat....or the wit.

thespywhozaggedme
11-27-2017, 07:11 AM
Without the hat....or the wit.

Indeed, all of the bad with none of the good(man). See what I did there?

CDC84
11-27-2017, 01:11 PM
You know your company is screwed up when you retain Jeff Goodman and fire Andy Katz.

I guess Andy has been doing some freelance TV color analysis. He announced the Paradise Jam Tournament. His Twitter now says that he's an NCAA.com correspondent and a Big Ten network contributor.

https://twitter.com/TheAndyKatz

Let me tell you.....between Andy Katz, Mike Decourcy, Steve Bardo........the Big 10 Network has some first class analysts and reporters. It's a shame they only cover the Big 10....at least on TV.

TexasZagFan
11-27-2017, 01:25 PM
You know your company is screwed up when you retain Jeff Goodman and fire Andy Katz.

I guess Andy has been doing some freelance TV color analysis. He announced the Paradise Jam Tournament. His Twitter now says that he's an NCAA.com correspondent and a Big Ten network contributor.

https://twitter.com/TheAndyKatz

Let me tell you.....between Andy Katz, Mike Decourcy, Steve Bardo........the Big 10 Network has some first class analysts and reporters. It's a shame they only cover the Big 10....at least on TV.

Wasn't Andy hired by the NY Times?