PDA

View Full Version : Zags vs. Longhorns - Head to Head

caduceus
11-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Texas has very good defensive numbers (Ranked 6th on Pomeroy). Zags with the better offensive stats. KenPom predictor suggests a 72-71 Zag win. Hopefully the Zag faithful have stuck around Portland to make it a "home game." Another nailbiter most likely!

Overview:

https://i.imgur.com/CETo6OH.png

Nitty Gritty:

https://i.imgur.com/0wQ49Kx.png

Efficiency Stats:

https://i.imgur.com/CGQahLy.png

source: teamrankings.com (https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/matchup/longhorns-bulldogs-2017-11-26)

MDABE80
11-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Thanks Cad. I wonder if our defensive numbers were skewed upward by the 108 pt outburst from Florida. Prior to yesterday, we weren't great but we allowed 68.5 ppg. It'll take a long time and many games to get back to that figure IF we begin holding opponents to 60 ppg. Same type of thing happened with J3. who went into the FL game with 13 ppg ave but now sits above 18 .5 ppg following his 39 pt outburst.
NO matter, our defense is nothing like last year. If anything, we must get back to that. As with FL, we can't always win with points but we can win with defense..It was those 3's that killed us....most unopposed. Not so much as a hand in the shooter's face in many. But god! Some of those FL made 3's were from as far away as Green Bay!

caduceus
11-25-2017, 10:21 PM
Thanks Cad. I wonder if our defensive numbers were skewed upward by the 108 pt outburst from Florida.

Compare to my head to head post prior to the FL game. Possessions per game went up, offensive and defensive efficiencies went down. There was a lot of scoring in the OT periods when we had key guys either trying to avoid fouling, or already riding pine.

I'm sure the guys don't want to start a losing streak. I think we have a decent chance if we don't rack up turnovers (TX defense causes turnovers in almost one out of every five possessions).

Bogozags
11-26-2017, 03:21 AM
Compare to my head to head post prior to the FL game. Possessions per game went up, offensive and defensive efficiencies went down. There was a lot of scoring in the OT periods when we had key guys either trying to avoid fouling, or already riding pine.

I'm sure the guys don't want to start a losing streak. I think we have a decent chance if we don't rack up turnovers (TX defense causes turnovers in almost one out of every five possessions).

First off, THANKS for posting these statistics!

To add, I think post play will be the key to this game on both ends of the court. To date they don't shoot the ball well from behind the arc so that will allow our back court players to help in the paint. I just hope UT doesn't decide that today is a good day to start becoming a good shooting team...

caduceus
11-26-2017, 05:49 AM
First off, THANKS for posting these statistics!

To add, I think post play will be the key to this game on both ends of the court. To date they don't shoot the ball well from behind the arc so that will allow our back court players to help in the paint. I just hope UT doesn't decide that today is a good day to start becoming a good shooting team...

Well said. That was my second thought after Abe's post, but I deleted it (thought I'd let some others chime in). Texas appears to defend the 3 well, not as well against the 2. It's possible that number is skewed because of Duke (who killed them in the second half with a ton of shots in the paint). It may be part of their strategy given they cause a lot of turnovers -- I dunno. We definitely have to take care of the ball and make our usual high percentage shots.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-26-2017, 06:21 AM
Well said. That was my second thought after Abe's post, but I deleted it (thought I'd let some others chime in). Texas appears to defend the 3 well, not as well against the 2. It's possible that number is skewed because of Duke (who killed them in the second half with a ton of shots in the paint). It may be part of their strategy given they cause a lot of turnovers -- I dunno. We definitely have to take care of the ball and make our usual high percentage shots.

Texas has the big freshman shot blocker anchoring the D, so they can afford to pressure the ball on the perimeter and take away the 3’s. Shaka Smart has the best pool of players he has ever had to implement his style of play imho; Zags are fortunate to be getting them early in the year as I think Shaka’s young team will be vastly improved defensively by the time NCAA tourney starts.

ZagsGoZags
11-26-2017, 06:48 AM
to a significant degree these stats reflect how many cupcakes UT and GU have played to this point

caduceus
11-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Plus-minus for the game:

Melson: +2
Williams: -5
Perkins: +14
Kispert: +3
Tillie: -3
Larsen: +1
Hachimura: +12
Jones: +7
Norvell: -6