PDA

View Full Version : Adam a smoker???

dim4sum
10-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm enclosing a copy of a story that ran in The Morning Journal in Amherst,OH.
It alleges that Adam Morrison both smokes and chews tobacco. If such is the case, which I doubt, he's damned foolish.

Cloudy 47°5 Day Forecast
News Search

Advanced search go

News Classifieds Yellow Pages Today's Ads Jobs Homes Cars AllAroundCleveland

HomeMarketplaceJobsAutoReal EstateToday's DealsPersonalsPlace An AdClassifieds
News
Top Stories
Obituaries
Video stories
Community Announcements
Sports
Opinion
Business
RSS Feeds
Community News
Weather
National Headlines
AllAroundCleveland
Focus on Business
Archives
Entertainment
Personals
NEWSROOM JOBS
About Us
Place Classified Ads
Subscriptions
View Local Ads
NIE
Fun and Games
Personal Finance
Lifestyles
USA Weekend
EntertainmentMoviesTVCrosswordsHoroscopeFun & GamesSite ToolsYellow PagesPhoto Galleries7-Day ArchiveServicesSubscribePhoto ReprintsPlace An AdBrowse Today's AdsContact UsMorning Journal Jobs

Home : News : News : Sports
Sports
Varejao dilemma could reach regular season
Bob Finnan, morning journal writer
10/07/2007
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
Dan Fegan's job as an agent is to find his client the best contract available.

When he asked for a five-year, $65 million deal for Anderson Varejao from the Cavaliers, general manager Danny Ferry probably had to suppress the urge to burst out laughing. One could understand if the number was the first volley in negotiations. But Fegan hasn't come off those high numbers. And, now, one can see why there's a standoff.

Advertisement

Sure, Varejao is an important cog in the Cavs' machine. In their run to the NBA Finals last year, it was Varejao who played in the fourth quarter with the game on the line. There's no question he's valuable.

He looks at some of the bloated contracts on the team -- like Eric Snow's $6.7 million, Donyell Marshall's $5.6 million and Ira Newble's $3.4 million -- and wonders why he can't be paid accordingly.

But Ferry is trying to hang onto his financial flexibility in the coming years. Varejao and fellow restricted free agent Sasha Pavlovic are paying for some past mistakes made in free agency. It seems like the Cavs refuse to overcompensate again for free agents.

Because they were handcuffed financially, the Cavs were unable to strike when Minnesota made Kevin Garnett available last summer.

The Cavs appear to be willing to pay Varejao, but don't want to pay him more than Drew Gooden. If Fegan continues to demand at least $10 million a season for his 6-point, 6-rebound client, then this tussle could stretch into the regular season.

Fegan just wants to win this skirmish at all costs. He doesn't care if he sends the Cavs' salary cap into oblivion. He's used to getting his way and rarely buckles under pressure from teams. Remember, he's the agent that got the six-year, $60 million deal for Nene last summer from Denver that threw everything out of whack.

The Cavs don't want to alienate Varejao. They plan on him being in Cleveland for years to come.

Pavlovic isn't going to get nearly as much as Varejao, who is a young, athletic big man. But that won't prevent agent Marc Cornstein from following Fegan's lead and get top dollar for his client.

Threatening to play in Europe is not much of a threat. One agent said threatening to play in Europe is like pointing a squirt gun at the Cavs. There's little money overseas, and the players know they'll be facing inferior talent. But if it's about winning at all costs, it's always an option.

Cavs forward LeBron James said it was strange not seeing Pavlovic and Varejao with the team.

''Hopefully, (they) can be a part of this,'' James said. ''We're looking forward to them coming back.''

Trivia question

What current team has been shut out of the playoffs the longest? (Answer below)

Numbers

1 pound, 5 ounces -- Weight of Eva and Marcus Camby's premature daughter, Maya, who was born on May 9 at 24 weeks. ''(Hospital workers) were calling her ÔMiracle Baby,''' the Denver Nuggets center said.

3-of-24 -- Combined shooting by Larry Hughes and Damon Jones in Friday's Wine & Gold Scrimmage. Hughes, 1-of-13, might want to drop a dime and call shooting coach Mark Price, who worked on his shooting this summer.

6 -- The Spurs will retire Avery Johnson's No. 6 jersey on Dec. 22. Johnson, the Dallas Mavericks' coach, was with the Spurs four times and once was cut on the same day he was in David Robinson's wedding.

8 -- The Bobcats believe they can be the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference this season. This is coming from a group that has never won more than 33 games.

Rookie watch

The Atlanta Hawks are buzzing about University of Florida power forward Al Horford, the No. 3 pick in the June draft.

''I think it's pretty obvious he can bang with anybody out there,'' teammate Josh Smith said. ''He's long and extremely skilled around the basket.''

Rumor mill

- Unbeknownst to many, Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas had a lot of anger stored up against coach Eddie Jordan, whom he felt contributed mightily to his knee injury last season.

''I was mad about that for a good two or three months,'' he said. ''But I had the summer to think about it and now I realize stuff happens.''

- Lakers coach Phil Jackson might decide in the coming weeks whether he wants to extend his contract beyond this season. He'd probably get a two-year, $20 million extension.

''Hopefully, that doesn't run into the season when wins and losses become a priority as to whether I want take the job back,'' he said. ''I want to do it because I'm healthy.''

- Swingman Corey Maggette declined a three-year, $25.5 million extension from the Clippers.

- The Sixers could be major players this summer when they could have $14 million to $16 million in salary cap space.

Quick shots

- The Trail Blazers bristle when people compare rookie center Greg Oden, who will miss the 2007-08 season with microfracture surgery, to Sam Bowie, the No. 2 pick in the 1984 draft.

''This dude (Oden) is going to be great,'' Portland guard Brandon Roy said. ''He's the truth.''

- Bobcats swingman Adam Morrison. Morrison not only chews tobacco, but smokes cigarettes -- rare for NBA players.

- The Spurs welcomed back suspended official Joey Crawford.

''I have no problem with (Crawford being reinstated),'' Spurs forward Tim Duncan said. ''He's a veteran ref. If they feel it improves their staff, it's good for the game.''

It was Crawford's dust-up with Duncan last April that got him suspended.

- Former Cavs guard Dell Curry resigned as an assistant coach with the Bobcats before his first training camp. Sounds strange from afar, but Curry simply realized he'd never see his sons play if he took the job. His older son was one of the country's best freshmen last season, starring at Davidson. His younger son is a high school senior who'll play for Liberty.

- Rockets defensive star Shane Battier became a worldwide star on YouTube after his karaoke performance at a Houston nightclub last season, when he sang Neil Diamond's ''Forever in Blue Jeans.'' Battier said he isn't quitting his day job.

''Justin Timberlake's career is safe,'' he said.

Trivia answer

The Hawks own the league's longest playoff drought (eight years and counting), not to mention perhaps the worst ownership situation, the worst front office situation and worst coaching situation.

Information for this column was gathered by personal interviews and from other beat writers around the league.

RFinnan@news-herald.com

©The Morning Journal 2007

Submit your comment now
Comment Title:
Submit your comments on the article in the space below:

Your Name:
Your City & State:
Your Email Address: (required)

By submitting your comment, you acknowledge that you have read and accept the Terms and Conditions of this site.

Reader Comments
Added: Monday October 08, 2007 at 10:09 AM EST
check your sources
Adam Morrison doesn't smoke cigarettes.
Sara Morrison, Seattle WA
Added: Monday October 08, 2007 at 03:55 AM EST
Why this text even come out to public?
"Threatening to play in Europe is not much of a threat. One agent said threatening to play in Europe is like pointing a squirt gun at the Cavs. There's little money overseas, and the players know they'll be facing inferior talent. But if it's about winning at all costs, it's always an option."

One point is ok, there is a lot more money in US than Europe, but the fact that the players will face inferior talent is simply not true. It is sad to see that some people, obviously not much acquaintanced about the life outside its own yard, are making such a insulting comment for any european basketball fan.

About Pavlovic's case, if they give him qualifying offer, that money he can easily get in Europe as well, and the difference is that he will get much more minutes to play per game.
Aleksandar, Aachen, Deutschland

Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendlyTop

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement. Please read our Privacy Policy
©2007 The Morning Journal - a Journal Register Property. All Rights reserved.

Interested in a career with Journal Register Company? Click here.

Local Newspapers

MorningJournal.com
News-Herald.com
AllAroundCleveland.com

AllAroundCleveland.com is your local connection to newspaper websites in Ohio.

HOOTER
10-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Holy crap! What is all this stuff? Where in this ridiculously huge thread is the story you were referring to?

J-Mac Zag Forever
10-24-2007, 06:40 PM
LOL-but yes he smokes! Thats why he is so great. He can smoke and be good at the same time and get paid millions!

HOOTER
10-24-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm enclosing a copy of a story that ran in The Morning Journal in Amherst,OH.
It alleges that Adam Morrison both smokes and chews tobacco. If such is the case, which I doubt, he's damned foolish.

Quick shots

- Bobcats swingman Adam Morrison. Morrison not only chews tobacco, but smokes cigarettes -- rare for NBA players.

The shortened version

st. al
10-24-2007, 07:03 PM
It alleges that Adam Morrison both smokes and chews tobacco.

:D tell me something we don't know. I swear everytime i saw him on campus he was packin like raul ibanez. To each their own.

sullyzag66
10-24-2007, 07:32 PM
But buried inside the text is Adam's sister's response:

Reader Comments
Added: Monday October 08, 2007 at 10:09 AM EST
check your sources
Adam Morrison doesn't smoke cigarettes.
Sara Morrison, Seattle WA

Would she know or is she in denial?

Qhall43
10-24-2007, 07:43 PM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=5607&highlight=morrison+china

Already been discussed a bit here

JoeZag
10-25-2007, 06:15 AM
As good as Ammo is about setting a positive example for kids in overcoming the limitations of diabetes, this sends a completely opposite message. Tobacco use of any kind has severe impacts on long-term health, especially for diabetics. By engaging in this kind of conduct he is basically telling kids to 'do as I say not as I do' in many respects. If he truly wants to have a long career in the NBA, he had better get these addictions under control soon. It can't help his 'white trash' (not my words, but those of the hecklers that got under his skin last year) image that he chews, smokes, drinks 40s, has long scraggly hair and plays video games all day. It would be terribly sad to read a story in 20 years about a broken down Morrison who is facing a leg amputation due to some bad habits as a youngster. He should know better than to put himself in such a precarious position. For your own health as well as the sake of the kids who idolize you, PLEASE Ammo straighten up your act.

Butler Guy
10-25-2007, 06:27 AM
is infinitely more interesting than the garden-variety NBA player, solely because of his differences from the norm. It would be a poor personal marketing move to become "conventional." A great example is Jason "Don't call me White Chocolate" Williams. When he was a ballin' Eminem, he was interesting and marketable. Now he is just an average white guard with questionable shot selection.

kdoggy
10-25-2007, 07:45 AM
oh well, the guy marches to the beat of his own drummer. I'll bet there is more closet smokers in professional sports than is known. Years, ago I saw a rather famous ex-NBA player having a smoke. I read an article about a Euro soccer player recently that said he cut it back to 5 sticks a day on doctors orders and I saw a picture that had some tour riders from the 60's or 70's having a smoke on the way into Paris. They are defintely different over there.

It’s a terrible PR move on his part, because smoking is simply not socially acceptable. Sometimes it seems smoking dope might actually be more socially acceptable fpr NBA players.

Health issues? Yikes, both a filthy habit and with his issues he should not do either. My dad's diabetic and doesn't exactly work the program like Adam does, but he did quit smoking 30 years ago on a doctors insistence.

drnoe
10-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Copenhagen or Skoal?

PeninsulaDog
10-25-2007, 08:24 AM
As good as Ammo is about setting a positive example for kids in overcoming the limitations of diabetes, this sends a completely opposite message. Tobacco use of any kind has severe impacts on long-term health, especially for diabetics. By engaging in this kind of conduct he is basically telling kids to 'do as I say not as I do' in many respects. If he truly wants to have a long career in the NBA, he had better get these addictions under control soon. It can't help his 'white trash' (not my words, but those of the hecklers that got under his skin last year) image that he chews, smokes, drinks 40s, has long scraggly hair and plays video games all day. It would be terribly sad to read a story in 20 years about a broken down Morrison who is facing a leg amputation due to some bad habits as a youngster. He should know better than to put himself in such a precarious position. For your own health as well as the sake of the kids who idolize you, PLEASE Ammo straighten up your act.

Adam smokes! So what? Since when is Adam, or any other professional athlete, obligated to act as a role model for kids? And since when is smoking or drinking or chewing tobacco a crime? By the way, the NBA at large is not exactly a bastion of virtue: Marijuana use among NBA players is, and has been for decades, rampant, and the league's testing policy is a complete joke. I had thought the days when people naively thought that professional athletes were expected to be role models were long over. In any event, he's a kid. Give him a break. I can't think of too many of my friends at GU who didn't drink and chew tobacco when we were in our early twenties. Over time we began to moderate our behavior, drop some habits, and grow up. I suspect he will too, but he shouldn't be vilified because he uses a couple of substances that are, after all, legal.

DavyZag
10-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Was that really his sister who responded to that article? Because this has been pretty widely reported now and I seriously doubt that it is just all a big lie. Maybe he's not a chain smoker, but I also don't think that the reporters are simply liers... it was originally written about in the Seattle PI, I think, and then on ESPN.

Anyway, it doesn't really surprise me, actually. He's got an image, and even if a lot of it is "just for show" or whatever (you'll never convince me the stache is anything more than a marketing gimmick), it's rare when someone is completely opposite from the image that they portray. And chewing and smoking? I'd say that would fall under his image.

JokerZag
10-25-2007, 09:14 AM
I gaurantee he chews Grizzly, probably wintergreen

GonzagaGurl08
10-25-2007, 12:12 PM
He definately chewed while he was here, I remeber seeing him. As far as the smoking goes, do we know if it's cigarettes or cigars? What ever it is, its bad, and hopefully he can kick the habit soon enough. He may just be doing it to be "cool", well it's not. In regards to the mustache, it started as a bet from David Pendergraft, who bet him he couldn't grow facial hair. Pendo really needs more recognition from Mo with regads to the Stache.

dim4sum
10-25-2007, 12:16 PM
With his diabetes, Adam is putting himself at great risk for a premature cardiac episode. I'm sure he is aware of the self-destructive consequences.

sonuvazag
10-25-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm sure he is aware of the self-destructive consequences.
That is what I was also thinking. At the same time, he might be unaware of the benefits of choosing to dump the habit. Regardless, we as fans would be foolish to think we can control his behavior with guilt-inducing pleas. Having quit myself, it's my opinion that the avid smoker will feel better after finally breaking the habit.

GreenStreetElite
10-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Grizzly (exactly) and can we let these kids have a personal life. Nothing against anyone here but some of the stuff I read here isn't about basketball at all, its I saw so and so doing this or that. I know that a lot of it is just posting links to articles, but the on going talk and passing of judgement on these guys that are 18-23 is getting old.