PDA

View Full Version : GU vs Texas What are your thoughts

Reborn
11-25-2017, 09:53 AM
This should be another great game. Few and Smart are really good friends; so that's going to be cool for them to play against one another. I don't think we've ever played them.

So far this season they have not shot well from behind the arc. However, that could change against Gonzaga.

Florida has a 6'11" Freshman center with a wing span of 7'9". This could be a problem for Williams. We'll see. Dukes' center scored 35 against Texas.

We should see Texas showing off some high flying dunks. Just remember, they're only with 2 points.

I really like how GU played against Florida. Hoping Zags take this one and go home 2-1 after a great early season tournament.

I see no reason Zags can't score 80.

gu03alum
11-25-2017, 09:58 AM
I don't think we have anyone who can guard Bamba. I think we need to make an effort to get him to foul trouble.

DixieZag
11-25-2017, 10:12 AM
I think both teams see this as a "must win."

Both teams took Final Four candidates to OT and came up just a bit short.

both teams will feel pretty good about themselves going home with a win, neither team will feel good about itself going home 1-2.

Thus, I think this game is much bigger than Florida. Florida showed me our guys will fight, they really impressed me, even while demonstrating glaring weaknesses. This team is tough, not a fraction soft.

I want this game badly, we need this game badly, we're still looking for quality wins and SMC's loss to the Cougs is simply unforgiveable, dropping them out of the top 25 until they beat us (if they do). Thus, we only have a few games left to assert ourselves. Texas earned the nation's respect going toe to toe with Duke. They'll come out of this tourney ranked, in my opinion. If we win against Texas we move up from 17 in my opinion. If we lose, we're in danger of dropping out. And I do think rankings matter to a small degree, especially come tourney time.

I don't think we can count on beating Villanova. Creighton may or may not be considered a "good win" at that point (assuming we even win it). We're really in need of a win going home here. Both teams exhausted, both pissed, it'll be an absolute heavy weight fight. But, I think our guys answer the bell. I think over-all we've got more talent and experience.

gu03alum
11-25-2017, 10:28 AM
I just passed Bamba at my hotel. Holy #### that guy is tall, wing span and huge feet.

Gonzdb8
11-25-2017, 10:34 AM
I don't think we've ever played them.

We have definitely played them in a double header in Arizona in 06'. It was Durant's only season at Texas and as I recall we beat them fairly soundly. Ravio was a monster in that game. We might have played them other times but thats the one I can recall.

Reborn
11-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Good post Dixiezag. Good things to think about. Even with a loss to Texas I doubt if the Zags will go out of the top 25. They were just too impressive in their loss to Florida. Same for Texas. A very good team and should be ranked this coming week. Creighton is close to being in the top 25. They should at least be in top 40 which is always good. So Zags will still have a good resume. Two top 10 teams and probably a top 20 team. Maybe two top 2o teams. Actualy both 'Nova and Florida Could BOTH be in the top 4 or 5.

CdAZagFan
11-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Agreed Dixie... Big game for both teams, but I see the Zags coming back strong. That is fun seeing that venue basically being a GU home court.

Bogozags
11-26-2017, 03:40 AM
Dixie, good post!

This win is important to both teams and being 5-1 is better to me than 4-2. Tough game to play and I believe post play will be the key. I would like to see Larsen play against Bamba. Bamba, due to his size/wing span will be a tough nut to crack BUT he is still a freshman and I like our frosh as IMO he is much more polished - time will tell.

Even with a win, I don't see UT in the Top 25 not that the rankings matter at all.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-26-2017, 04:14 AM
Agree w you Dixie. This game is huge for the Zag’s NCAA resume; it’s also important for the team’s confidence. If return to Spokane w a 1-2 record in PK80, I actually think it’s not much of a stretch to be talking “just keep the NCAA streak alive” in a month or so... unless they go 3-0 vs Villanova, Creighton and SDSU. Lacking those kinds of signature wins, a split vs St Mary’s would mean bubble trouble imho.

Today’s game vs Texas is HUGE.

Bogozags
11-26-2017, 04:49 AM
Agree w you Dixie. This game is huge for the Zag’s NCAA resume; it’s also important for the team’s confidence. If return to Spokane w a 1-2 record in PK80, I actually think it’s not much of a stretch to be talking “just keep the NCAA streak alive” in a month or so... unless they go 3-0 vs Villanova, Creighton and SDSU. Lacking those kinds of signature wins, a split vs St Mary’s would mean bubble trouble imho.

Today’s game vs Texas is HUGE.

+1

jazzdelmar
11-26-2017, 04:55 AM
It’s sad to realize how key this game is to the NCAA streak. Thanks, as always, WCC dreck. OTOH, isn't it a bit paranoid to think a team that handily beat OSU and took FLA to double OTs should be worried about an at large bid.....?

Zaga
11-26-2017, 06:27 AM
I agree Jazz. No worries... Looking for a statement win in MSG in December.

ZagsGoZags
11-26-2017, 06:37 AM
I hope when the pressure is on, and the game is close, we will work Kispert into the offense. I will predict he will be our go to guy some day, not JWIII, not Josh P and not Melson. By February. In the second half against Florida, it seemed we had JW, Josh and Melson trying to score, with Kispert and Rui getting the job of passing around until one of those three would make an attempt.

Why will Kispert be our go to guy? Because of his attitude and skills. For technicals, let Josh or Cory take the pressure and take the free throw. For the guy with ball with 9 seconds left in the half, or the game, let that be Kispert. He can drive it, shoot the 3, and make split second decisions to change. Nobody on the team can drive into the paint better while keeping the options open, he seems to never choke, and seems to have the perfect 'great athlete' attitude. He could easily be the point guard at the next level. His handles are going to improve drastically as Few puts him in more pressure situations. He may be too big to be our point guard, but just right for the NBA, IMO. I hope he will work on his floater this season and next off season. I see him with the role for the zags that Bennett gave to Delavadova. He can handle all the leadership roles Few will give him.

TravelinZag
11-26-2017, 06:38 AM
Win over Nova would be huge. Don’t overlook Creighton. If defeating Texas sparks 5 straight, Zags are back (with lessons learned).

Go Zags!

katman50
11-26-2017, 07:34 AM
I hope when the pressure is on, and the game is close, we will work Kispert into the offense. I will predict he will be our go to guy some day, not JWIII, not Josh P and not Melson. By February. In the second half against Florida, it seemed we had JW, Josh and Melson trying to score, with Kispert and Rui getting the job of passing around until one of those three would make an attempt.

Why will Kispert be our go to guy? Because of his attitude and skills. For technicals, let Josh or Cory take the pressure and take the free throw. For the guy with ball with 9 seconds left in the half, or the game, let that be Kispert. He can drive it, shoot the 3, and make split second decisions to change. Nobody on the team can drive into the paint better while keeping the options open, he seems to never choke, and seems to have the perfect 'great athlete' attitude. He could easily be the point guard at the next level. His handles are going to improve drastically as Few puts him in more pressure situations. He may be too big to be our point guard, but just right for the NBA, IMO. I hope he will work on his floater this season and next off season. I see him with the role for the zags that Bennett gave to Delavadova. He can handle all the leadership roles Few will give him.

I agree completely. Good post.Corey has to be more of an option! For the most part he is camped out on the perimeter while they are passing the ball around.

MontanaCoyote
11-26-2017, 07:45 AM
Good Posts! What I can't get straight is this 10 AM start. Same for both teams, but still unwise. Even with these kids it takes time for the body to get up and running. May well be wrong, but could such an early start increase the likelihood of
injuries? Can players play at the same level at 10 AM as 7PM?

Just don't like it. In fact, I don't like it at all.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-26-2017, 08:05 AM
I hope when the pressure is on, and the game is close, we will work Kispert into the offense. I will predict he will be our go to guy some day.....

He can drive it, shoot the 3, and make split second decisions to change. Nobody on the team can drive into the paint better while keeping the options open, he seems to never choke, and seems to have the perfect 'great athlete' attitude. He could easily be the point guard at the next level...

I’m high on Kispert too but he hasn’t shown me enough to merit this kind of hyperbole.

zag67
11-26-2017, 08:24 AM
I think that even if we come back 1-2 but we also play a really close game then we will still have a good shot. First Florida has a good chance of beating Duke and winning the SEC. Texas should be very competitive in the big 12. Yes winning would be better and I think we will. We also have Creighton and Vilanova. We just have to show we are getting better and March ready.

bballbeachbum
11-26-2017, 08:29 AM
piling on...great post Dixie, thinking the same things.
and I'm with jazz too. also think the Zags have a chance to crush the WCC this year

gu03alum
11-26-2017, 08:40 AM
I saw Texas in my lobby this morning. They looked tired and ready to lose. Go Zags! Beat the Longhorns.

ZagsGoZags
11-28-2017, 06:09 PM
I’m high on Kispert too but he hasn’t shown me enough to merit this kind of hyperbole.

Well its a prediction. I don't think Kispert is ready now, but my reasons for the prediction are that he has the great athlete attitude, unlikely to choke, and I have seen him alter his shot or plan when driving on the basket. When he gets the handles I think he will be the Delavadova of somebody's team, a distributor with vision, and good shot when he's open. He will have an easier time driving into the paint than Pangos because of his strength, in fact he reminds me a lot of Pangos - I hope will develop an effective floater.

TexasZagFan
11-29-2017, 06:01 AM

Kispert and Norvell are victims of preseason hype. They deserve a bit more patience IMHO. Both will be key contributors as the season progresses.

WallaWallaZag
11-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Kispert and Norvell are victims of preseason hype. They deserve a bit more patience IMHO. Both will be key contributors as the season progresses.

kispert has actually more than met my expectations...not sure what others were expecting. norvell has been a disappointment but has shown flashes of what he could become...

TexasZagFan
11-29-2017, 06:31 AM
kispert has actually more than met my expectations...not sure what others were expecting. norvell has been a disappointment but has shown flashes of what he could become...

FWIW, Tim Hardaway had a really rough freshman year at UTEP. lol

Not saying Zach is a future HOFer, I think he'll be fine when he gets his feet under him. IIRC, J3 took about 10 games to get it going last year.

Examples of why I view Zag hoops as a journey.