PDA

View Full Version : We Need to Develop a Backup PG

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 11:01 PM
Is it Norvell, is it Kispert? Is it Wade?

Melson is what he is which is a very solid SG. Plays great defense, can score, and i still think he can hit a clutch shot when the game is on the line. He can take the ball up the floor but he is not the guy to run the show at the end of the game.

One takeaway from this game is that we need to develop a backup pg in the case that heaven's forbid, we lose Josh for any time or he gets in foul trouble like this game.
I still think the guy will be Zack N. Better ball handler than Wade or kispert, has the size, and can shoot the rock. It'll be an interesting story to follow this year, as i know we will be needing more than one guy at some point later down the season.

Thoughts?

HenneZag
11-24-2017, 11:08 PM
I thought Norvell would be able to spell minutes at the point, but it’s apparent tonight he’s got a lot of growing to do. Bad shot selection, out of position, and can’t see to buy a bucket the last couple games. I have high hopes, but not what I was expecting.

CDC84
11-24-2017, 11:08 PM
Unfortunately, I think we have no one, so Josh is going to have to avoid getting hurt and avoid foul trouble. Perkins may need to take on the easiest defensive assignment on the perimeter. Silas is a pure shooting guard, and Wade just looks like he's going to need a year. Look, there have been some great teams (see 1991 UNLV - but it cost them in the national semis vs. Duke) without backup PG's. But it's not an ideal situation.

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 11:11 PM
I thought Norvell would be able to spell minutes at the point, but it’s apparent tonight he’s got a lot of growing to do. Bad shot selection, out of position, and can’t see to buy a bucket the last couple games. I have high hopes, but not what I was expecting.

You never know Henne... I think i can see that the kid has skills.. remember he still has only played 4 real games so far in his Zag career and this was the first one against legit guards.. I do think he will grow and get better as the year goes on.

CDC84
11-24-2017, 11:37 PM
Norvell is more of a 3 than a point guard. I think he's going to be a good one, but he's awful on defense right now, and needs to learn what a good shot is. Part of the reason he hasn't been scoring is because he's been taking bad shots, which does nothing but hurt your confidence when you get good ones.

Outraged
11-24-2017, 11:43 PM
Wade will be fine. Melson shoots better without the beard.

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 11:47 PM
Do you really think Wade will be the backup pg this year when its all said and done? not asking sarcastically, just wanting to know your thoughts. To me from what i have seen, he is a little sketchy with the ball which surprised me.

webspinnre
11-25-2017, 12:03 AM
The problem is that it seems like neither of the other point guards on the roster are ready in Wade and Ayayi, and we're hopping to get Ayayi his redshirt. It's going to be a struggle this year at times.

Mantua
11-25-2017, 12:10 AM
Josh has to stay another year! We are not going to have anyone close to his caliber for next season.

isongd
11-25-2017, 12:19 AM
I feel like Rui should get some run handling the ball when Perkins isnt out there. Seems lost off the ball (and out of control with the ball). But he also seems to have been Mr everything in the past/international. Might make him more comfortable and help with bench scoring.

jchocolate99
11-25-2017, 12:45 AM
Josh has to stay another year! We are not going to have anyone close to his caliber for next season.

hope he honestly isn't thinking of jumping because he's not ready to go pro at all... he's definitely gotten better this season but he still has a bad habit of making boneheaded decisions... Jeremy Pargo syndrome...

Saxon_zag
11-25-2017, 06:27 AM
Do you really think Wade will be the backup pg this year when its all said and done? not asking sarcastically, just wanting to know your thoughts. To me from what i have seen, he is a little sketchy with the ball which surprised me.

I think his handle seems pretty good actually. Just catching up with the speed of it all

WallaWallaZag
11-25-2017, 06:32 AM
this team really could have used a grad transfer that can also handle the ball...might not be a bad idea for next year too even if perkins returns.

hooter73
11-25-2017, 06:41 AM
Melson is what he is which is a very solid SG. Plays great defense, can score, and i still think he can hit a clutch shot when the game is on the line.

Not based on his five opportunities to do so last night...

I am a huge Wade fan but he’s not in and playing which either means he’s more hurt or more un-able than all the others playing in front of him. If he’s not getting any play off the end of the bench by he end of December he should just redshirt and call it a year. There’s no way he breaks the rotation at this point.

MileHigh
11-25-2017, 06:53 AM
Not based on his five opportunities to do so last night...

I am a huge Wade fan but he’s not in and playing which either means he’s more hurt or more un-able than all the others playing in front of him. If he’s not getting any play off the end of the bench by he end of December he should just redshirt and call it a year. There’s no way he breaks the rotation at this point.

My understanding is that Wade has been healthy and available to play as many minutes as possible the last few games.

I think at this point, Few (and maybe more so T.Lloyd who does the rotations) likes the guard rotation of Josh, Melson, and ZNJ., with Josh and Melson playing the bulk of the game and Jr. getting 15 minutes or so.

bartruff1
11-25-2017, 07:04 AM
Well, doesn't everyone...We have a backup point guard...Melson was one hurried foul shot from winning that game....Norvell has the tools.....and DD keeps saying (or I keep hearing) that Kispert can play point.....just imagine that for a minute...

If it is true that Perkins will graduate this semester , well........ he has a multitude of options for next year .....that range from playing here...... being a graduate transfer to nearly any school he wants........ to making some money.... he definitely made some money this weekend with his excellent play especially his perimeter shooting.

RenoZag
11-25-2017, 08:48 AM
Few needs to develop a PG alternative by the time we get to March.

The Incarnate Word, North Dakota and IUPUI games should give him that opportunity and then there should be stretches during the WCC where one of the young uns can get some much needed experience running the team.

Perkins and Melson will be burnouts (think Mickey McConnell @ SMC a few years ago) if they have to log 35+ minutes a game.

On the defensive front: Getting torched by a hot three point shooter brought back unpleasant memories. Do we have any players that will approximate the defensive pressure Nigel and Jordan were able to put on the other guy's shooters ? If the answer is "No," then it could be a short list dance card come March.

Regards,

Vanzagger
11-25-2017, 09:02 AM
Florida played the best game they will play all season. I don’t know if last year’s team stays within 10

Reborn
11-25-2017, 09:03 AM
What team has a good backup that's any better than Melson? Fact remains. Josh needs to stay in the game and play smarter on defense. Fouling on D has always been one of his weaknesses. He just needs to play smarter.Do any of you think that Florida would have won that game if Chiozza had fouled out?

zagdontzig
11-25-2017, 09:26 AM
What team has a good backup that's any better than Melson? Fact remains. Josh needs to stay in the game and play smarter on defense. Fouling on D has always been one of his weaknesses. He just needs to play smarter.Do any of you think that Florida would have won that game if Chiozza had fouled out?

I agree. Everybody is focusing on where he came up short. Froze on a triple team, missed the game-swimming free through. But where are we without his defense all game? And before he missed that and-1, he finished the lay-up with contact to send it into a second OT.

TacomaZAG
11-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Few needs to develop a PG alternative by the time we get to March.

The Incarnate Word, North Dakota and IUPUI games should give him that opportunity and then there should be stretches during the WCC where one of the young uns can get some much needed experience running the team.

Perkins and Melson will be burnouts (think Mickey McConnell @ SMC a few years ago) if they have to log 35+ minutes a game.

On the defensive front: Getting torched by a hot three point shooter brought back unpleasant memories. Do we have any players that will approximate the defensive pressure Nigel and Jordan were able to put on the other guy's shooters ? If the answer is "No," then it could be a short list dance card come March.

Regards,

Reno - Couple of comments on your post................

Agree that we need a backup point guard, but, during games like last night, Josh (and every other starting PG in the country) is going to have to play 38+ minutes. Lesser opponents like the upcoming teams you list are more for resting Josh than developing a backup PG who is going to contribute against elite opponents. IMHO, the key to the PG position this year is getting Josh ample rest during WCC play, so he is fresh for March, where he will need to play 38+ minutes a night. McConnell from SMC had to play 35+ minutes a game because SMC couldn't win with him on the bench, even in the WCC. The Josh comparison is a team apples/oranges comparison for me.

I was discussing last night's game with my brother this morning and he said we got beat by a guy having a career night from 3. I agreed, then asked him how many times we have said that over the years. We both said "a lot" at the same time. However, I think this discussion over the last few years (your reference to last year's team is spot on) is one more of scheme than athletes. In the distant past (5+ years ago), we didn't have the athletes to compete head-to-head with the elite programs, so we had to resort to "gimmick" defenses which led to obvious holes that were exploited by the above mentioned "career" games. The last couple of years we have had the athletes, but have employed some "interesting" schemes, including last night. IMHO, we had the far superior front court, but for some reason played a lot of zone, which played right into the Gator strength of penetrate and dish for the 3. Not sure why............maybe some of the experts can help me out. I realize if we go man-to-man, the Gator PG will be able to penetrate (he can penetrate against most anyone in the country), but in man-to-man he will be forced to penetrate into the paint where the trees can help (and the dish is for 2 instead of 3), as opposed to penetrating to the foul line and dishing for the 3 against the zone as it collapses. We made our way last year with primarily man-to-man defense, with the zone as a short time wrinkle. We have the athletes to that again this year............

Great game last night, great learning experience for all concerned.

Go ZAGs

zagsfanforlife
11-25-2017, 10:21 AM

Youre mistaking that we are knocking Melson, when instead we are just saying he is a very good SHOOTING GUARD but not a point guard. I think most basketball enthusiasts would agree that Silas is not a natural point.

Guys like Wade, Ajayi, and some skills that Norvell has allows them to be point guards.

thespywhozaggedme
11-25-2017, 10:39 AM
I feel like Rui should get some run handling the ball when Perkins isnt out there. Seems lost off the ball (and out of control with the ball). But he also seems to have been Mr everything in the past/international. Might make him more comfortable and help with bench scoring.

I agree with this, he's got a very good handle, great vision and would create matchup nightmares ala Greek Freak.

john montana
11-25-2017, 10:53 AM
We played a lot of zone in the first half. Fl adjusted at half time and torches the zone out of the gate. We went man and never went back to it.

If anything, I would have liked to see us go back to the zone late. Maybe get a possession or two where fl is confused etc. I thought we hung in man to Ling and should have switched it up.

As for PG, it is what it is. Melson and “by committee” while Perkins rests. Not sure how much you can develop Wade at this point. He needs a full off season and a lot of work on strength before I would expect much out of him other than knocking down open shots.

Malastein
11-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Florida played the best game they will play all season. I don’t know if last year’s team stays within 10
Last year’s team had 8 legitimate contributors. I have to think they’d win the game last night considering they won all but 2 games...