PDA

View Full Version : Post game Radio & Press GU-UF

Section 116
11-24-2017, 10:48 PM
UF holds off Zags 111-105 in double overtime. Quite the basketball game, GU now 4-1. Play Texas on Sunday. I think Hudson said 17 lead changes and 11 ties, though I'm not certain about that one. Interesting GU got only 5 points from the bench. UF got 14. JW3 39 points and 12 rebounds. Hudson, Chiozza, and Allen, 35, 26 and 23. GU outrebounded UF 39-35. Morrison noted GU kind of lost Hudson a few times late in the game but he didn't want to take anything away from the way the Zags played.

GU's biggest lead 13-4, early in the game. The teams counterpunched all night and when either team was against the ropes they fought back. Hudson had early fouls in the first half and only had 4 points, but he hit for 31 in the second half. UF made an adjustment in the second half when they kicked the ball out a lot to open shooters. One of the key plays in the game was the 5 point play, a real rarity in any game. UF shoots 46% from the floor, 47% from three, GU 48% from floor, 32% from three. Florida hits 17 threes, GU 10 which is pretty much the score difference.

Perkins, Melson, Kispert and Williams all played over 40 minutes. GU doesn't really have a true backup pointguard at this time and losing Perkins was huge. Morrison noted numerous times this was a really good learning experience (almost too many times for me). UF only 4-12 from three in the first half. Rest of game 13-24. Both teams shot well from the free throw line, UF 28-35, GU 19-25. On a side observation for me there were a lot of point scored in OT, UF outscored GU 33-27. I've watched basketball for a long time and I've watched many OT games where there were no more near that many OT points.

UF biggest lead of game was 7 in OT. 10am tip Sunday morning for GU-UT. Apparently there will be no coach interview.

CDC84
11-24-2017, 11:13 PM
No coaches? Not surprised. Team needs food and rest!

cggonzaga
11-24-2017, 11:28 PM
Have to agree with Morrison. This was a tremendous learning experience, especially for the guys on the bench. They should now know what big time college basketball is all about. It also showed the guys what they probably believed anyways, and thatís this team can play with anybody. Florida is easily a top 5 team in the country and possibly top 2 after Sunday.

Also, if we beat Texas and Florida beats Duke, I think we move into top 12.

CDC84
11-24-2017, 11:35 PM
The coaches were also probably made aware of the 10am tip on Sunday

jazzdelmar
11-25-2017, 05:29 AM
Really tough to move up w a loss. Regardless of opponent. Duke will beat Florida anyway.

WallaWallaZag
11-25-2017, 06:07 AM
UF holds off Zags 111-105 in double overtime. Quite the basketball game, GU now 4-1. Play Texas on Sunday. I think Hudson said 17 lead changes and 11 ties, though I'm not certain about that one. Interesting GU got only 5 points from the bench. UF got 14..

considering the bench played nearly 50 minutes, this really needs to be fixed...not a game for larson, but needed more from rui, norvell, and jj...rui and jj can both hit shots when open, can't be afraid to take shots...norvell shoots too much.

MTZag03
11-25-2017, 06:22 AM
considering the bench played nearly 50 minutes, this really needs to be fixed...not a game for larson, but needed more from rui, norvell, and jj...rui and jj can both hit shots when open, can't be afraid to take shots...norvell shoots too much.

Yes ZN does shoot too much. He's very streaky and needs consistency if he's going to always pull the trigger. I like his play, but her seems like a liability half the time.

Reborn
11-25-2017, 08:06 AM
I forgot about that 5 point play. It came as Gonzaga was pulling away. That WAS a HUGE call. I did feel the reffing favored Florida. Zags lost two really really good players thanks to the refs. IMO Gonzaga is better than Florida right now. The loss means nothing to me. This team could get a couple more losses because of certain factors. I am just so excited about this team. Josh played so well down the stretch. He was as good as NWG down the stretch and that says a lot to me, and should to you too.

Go Zags111

billyberu
11-25-2017, 08:11 AM
Really tough to move up w a loss. Regardless of opponent. Duke will beat Florida anyway.Maybe, but perhaps not.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

RenoZag
11-25-2017, 08:27 AM
Associated Press Write Up:

http://www.gatorsports.com/2017/11/instant-classic-no-7-florida-outlasts-no-17-gonzaga-2ot/

“This was like a Sweet 16, Elite 8 game right there,” Bulldogs coach Mark Few said.

RenoZag
11-25-2017, 08:29 AM
John Blanchette: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/nov/24/john-blanchette-zags-should-gain-stature-through-t/#/0

Say what you want about March Madness, but there’s nirvana to be found in November, too.

Many thought the PK80 might have exhausted its supply of that in the afternoon, when Duke roared back on Texas from 16 points and – with five freshmen on the floor – outlasted the Longhorns in overtime.

That was the C squad game compared to Gonzaga-Florida.

In fact, can we agree now that this is all the resume either team needs come Selection Sunday if they’re in the market for an at-large berth?

That the Zags eventually blinked in the second overtime – Josh Perkins and Killian Tillie both on the bench with five fouls being a significant factor – matters little, except as it’s measured in Gonzaga’s own disappointment.

This was a winnable moment, yes, but the Zags’ consolation prize was valuable, too: identity.

It’s not as if these guys have felt they’ve been living in the shadow of Gonzaga’s Final Four/national runners-up team of a year ago. The holdover regulars have insisted from the beginning that they loved being part of that history and intended on writing some of their own. The newcomers and guys whose roles have grown many-fold are ready to be part of it.

Now maybe the rest of us will let them.

RenoZag
11-25-2017, 08:33 AM
Jim Meehan's Game Story: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/nov/24/gonzaga-falls-in-double-overtime-classic-to-florid/#/0

Gonzaga’s final play resulted in a tough, fallaway jumper by Silas Melson that came up short.

The first overtime, somehow, produced even more unbelievable theater. Johnathan Williams’ jump hook with 12 seconds left gave Gonzaga a 93-92 lead. Chiozza responded with a three-point play, penetrating for a layup while being fouled.

Then it was Silas Melson’s turn. The Portland native curled in a left-handed layup – tying the score at 95 – and was fouled by Keith Stone. He misfired on the free throw with 1.8 ticks remaining.

Of course, there was more. Florida traveled and GU had 0.7 seconds to work with. Melson got a pretty good look from the right wing, but the ball bounced off the iron.

The second overtime was more of the same. Gonzaga went with a makeshift lineup after Perkins and Killian Tillie fouled out. The Gators quickly moved in front 106-99 on three 3-pointers, two by Hudson and one by Chiozza.

RenoZag
11-25-2017, 08:35 AM
Recap of key plays, score, time on the clock, etc. is available here: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/nov/24/updates-no-17-gonzaga-vs-no-7-florida/#/0

Zags_Fanatic
11-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Nice notes from Rob Dauster: http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/11/25/no-7-florida-outlasts-no-17-gonzaga-in-double-ot-thriller/

Zags_Fanatic
11-25-2017, 10:25 AM
https://theathletic.com/165721/2017/11/25/gators-zags-gives-the-sport-a-game-it-needed-with-a-classic-at-pk80/

On a side note it really is worth taking advantage of The Athletic's Black Friday sale. Many of the top writers have ended up there including Seth Davis, Sam Vecenie, Dana O'Neil and others. Great writing without all of the clickbait and garbage.

jazzdelmar
11-25-2017, 10:33 AM
The Athletic.

By Brian Bennett

PORTLAND — Mark Few is not often moved to hyperbole. Yet the Gonzaga coach comfortably threw out words like “epic,” “heroic” and “spectacular” in the waning moments of Friday night while discussing, of all things, a college basketball game on the day after Thanksgiving.

He wasn’t wrong. Duke’s rousing overtime comeback victory against Texas in the second round of the PK80 earlier in the day looked like the sport’s game of the early season. It didn’t even hold up as the best game of the day at the Moda Center. Florida’s exhilarating and exhausting 111-105 double-overtime win over Few’s Bulldogs might not be topped until the postseason.

“The heart and soul and courage being exemplified and shown by the Florida guys and my guys, it was just crazy,” Few said. “I mean, guys were gassed and just looking at each other and yet still making plays and making jump shots. Which is just unbelievable.”

It was a game in which each team put together big runs, made key adjustments, hit huge shots and battled through foul trouble. And then kept going. The final buzzer sounded at 2:20 a.m. Eastern time, turning Black Friday into Three Shots of Espresso Saturday for weary fans watching back in Florida. For a while it seemed as if the game would continue until Phil Knight’s 80th birthday, which is in February.

Just south of the Moda Center off Martin Luther King Boulevard, the Seattle Gator Club bought a billboard that read, “Florida Basketball welcomes you to Portland, OR. #ChompTown.” It was a way to make the team feel at home despite traveling almost 3,000 miles to the West Coast. Little has come easily for the Gators, however; after a first-round win over Stanford on Thursday night, the team bus idled on a bridge because of a three-alarm fire downtown. The players, still in their uniforms, had to walk nearly a mile to their hotel at around 11 p.m.

“I didn’t have any socks on, and my toes were freezing,” said guard Jalen Hudson.

Then on Friday night, the Gators encountered a virtual road game as Gonzaga fans packed the building. Luckily, as coach Mike White said, Florida’s roster is full of “reserved, introverted, quiet guys” who don’t get rattled easily. They needed every bit of that resolve.

After averaging 100.5 points in their first four games, the Gators were stymied by the Bulldogs’ zone and sitting on just 29 points at halftime. Their leading scorer this early season, Rice graduate transfer Egor Koulechov, finished 1 of 9 from the field. Egor also almost had an “egad” moment when he traveled before attempting a three-quarter court heave with 0.7 seconds left in the first overtime, giving Gonzaga the ball and a shot to win.

The Bulldogs owned a major size advantage over Florida, which often played with a four-guard lineup. Gonzaga controlled the points in the paint, 52-24. But after White made a halftime adjustment to counter the zone, his team rediscovered its key weapon: the 3-point shot.

A night after making 15-of-22 3s against Stanford, Florida sank 17 of 36 behind the arc. Thirteen of them came after intermission, including five in the two overtimes. The team’s other sharpshooting transfer, Virginia Tech transplant Hudson, hit eight of them.

“They were bigger than us,” said Hudson, who had a career-high 35 points in 31 minutes. “But the way we look at it is, they have to guard us too. We have a lot of guys who can make plays and shoot the ball.”

Gonzaga came into the season with question marks about its depth after losing key players Nigel Williams-Goss, Jordan Matthews, Przemek Karnowski and Zach Collins off of its national runner-up team. The reload looks promising, and Few learned a lot about his team in the loss. Senior Johnathan Williams has emerged a go-to scorer and a rival to Saint Mary’s center Jock Landale for West Coast Conference Player of the Year. Williams had a monster game with 39 points and 12 rebounds, showing off everything from running sky hooks to 3-pointers on 16-of-22 shooting. Josh Perkins, who was often overshadowed in the backcourt by Williams-Goss last year, had 17 points, seven assists and seven rebounds. Sophomore Killian Tillie (17 points) and freshman Corey Kispert (15) are blooming into bedrocks.

“As a unit , I felt like we made a huge jump tonight,” Williams said.

Still, Few will need to continue to develop his bench, particularly on the interior. When Tillie fouled out in the first overtime, Gonzaga’s defense suffered. Almost immediately, KeVaughn Allen goaded backup Jeremy Jones into fouling him on a 3-point attempt. When Josh Perkins fouled out a few minutes later, Silas Melson was left to carry a little too much of the offensive load. Though Melson scored on a drive to tie the game near the end of the first overtime, he also missed two shots and a free throw that could have been game-winners.

“We were running out of bodies,” Few said. “What happens then is we get some really, really young guys out there with some of our sophisticated switching that we do, and they’re just not quite up to speed yet.”

Finding things to complain about on either side after this early-season classic feels like a fool’s errand, however. Neither team deserved to lose, and both look like they will be factors deep into March. The game had all the emotional swings and tension of a regional final. White said it brought back memories of the Gators’ run to the Elite Eight last season, complete with another clutch performance by Chris Chiozza (26 points, 10 assists). Few compared the drama to the Bulldogs’ 2005 Maui Invitational semifinal win against Michigan State, when Adam Morrison scored 43 points in a triple-overtime thriller.

Coupled with the Duke-Texas game, the nightcap justified the concept of the PK80 – a sprawling, 16-team event where teams, fans and reporters shuffle between two arenas. With college basketball mostly making headlines about FBI investigations, it couldn’t have come at a better time.

“This is what college basketball needs,” Few said. “We need to do things like this. We should be doing things like this. This, tonight, guys, is why college basketball is so great. Everybody is focused on the 2 percent that’s not so great right now.”

Then a drained Few had one last message before the clock struck midnight on the West Coast.

“All right,” he said, “let’s all go to bed.”

Once again, he wasn’t wrong.

(Top photo: Brian Murphy/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Reborn
11-25-2017, 10:48 AM
Thanks Jazz. Appreciate the article. Great quotes from Mark Few. What else needs to be said.

RenoZag
11-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Nice notes from Rob Dauster: http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/11/25/no-7-florida-outlasts-no-17-gonzaga-in-double-ot-thriller/

Liked Dauster's comments re: the Gonzaga fan base, especially the remark about social media

At a Final Four last year that included North Carolina and Oregon, Gonzaga was the most impressive fan base. They traveled to Arizona en masse, partied all weekend and showed up — sunburnt, but there — in incredibly loud fashion during the games.

The same can be said for the PK80 tournament. And every home game the Zags play. They’re loud, they know their stuff and they’re annoying on twitter.

That’s the fan base trifecta.

And they should get credit for it.