PDA

View Full Version : GU vs Texas - Predictions/What you hope to see

LongIslandZagFan
11-24-2017, 10:27 PM
Tough loss but hell of a game against FLA... now on to Texas. What are you hoping to see... expectations... and of course predictions. Have at it boys and girls.

Goshzagit
11-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Something left in the tank...vs an energetic, upstart, athletic Texas squad.

Will be tough. Going 1-2 this Tourney, and with challenging games vs Creighton, Villanova, etc. Our chances for at large bid can be made or broken. Even with a good team, a season can turn on a dime.

Showed some heart, grit, and talent, yet our bench scored 4 pts total. In 3 halves of play. That is pitiful.

Also, maybe someone else getting a shot if the game is tight other than Melson.

He took the final shot at end of regulation, end of 1st OT, and the end of the 2nd OT.

Great effort but a bit predictable.

Zags11
11-24-2017, 10:33 PM
Zags 73
Texas 68

Zags will look tired and rightfully so.

Goshzagit
11-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Want to see more plays run for Kispert. He is logging mins but still the 5th option.

Outside some defensive woes vs smaller guards, the kid just delivers.

Maybe he should get a chance to have the ball in his hands to close it out. If CK got 3 chances to win it as Silas did, guarantee Kisper isn't going 0-3.

gonzagafan62
11-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Texas is a likely tournament team this season. Will be a great challenge. We better come out playing with intensity

demian
11-24-2017, 10:59 PM
Hope to see = much improved play from the bench. Need to see if we have a perimeter bench player who can score. Also hope to see a huge effort from crowd AGAIN (that crowd was unreal tonight) because our players are going to be tired and are going to need a lift from our crowd to beat a good Texas team

Skimhvn
11-24-2017, 11:02 PM
Zags 83-77 Texas

CDC84
11-24-2017, 11:09 PM
To get the hell out of Portland 2-1.

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Werent we in the mix for the Olechintzki (sp) kid? their big dude? I saw him today.. looked like a poor mans kevin love out there.

Love our bigs and he would come off the bench, but Shaka has some players this year.

Should be a good game, but if we have anything left in the tank, i think we win this one.

MDABE80
11-24-2017, 11:15 PM
Texas has lots of high energy skillful players. As CDC indicates...we really will be in great shape if we escape PDX with one loss. TX played Duke even or better till the OT session.

cggonzaga
11-24-2017, 11:37 PM
Something left in the tank...vs an energetic, upstart, athletic Texas squad.

Will be tough. Going 1-2 this Tourney, and with challenging games vs Creighton, Villanova, etc. Our chances for at large bid can be made or broken. Even with a good team, a season can turn on a dime.

Showed some heart, grit, and talent, yet our bench scored 4 pts total. In 3 halves of play. That is pitiful.

Also, maybe someone else getting a shot if the game is tight other than Melson.

He took the final shot at end of regulation, end of 1st OT, and the end of the 2nd OT.

Great effort but a bit predictable.

Not at all worried about getting an at large. This is most likely a 4 loss team at most.

Appreciate your love affair for Kispert and I do believe he’s very good, but he is rightfully the 5th option. We just have that much talent. I wouldn’t have minded some plays ran for him in the 2nd OT. He has a ways to go defensively though and it’s not just against smaller quicker guards. That’s to be expected though, he’s a freshman playing in his fifth game.

cggonzaga
11-24-2017, 11:40 PM
One other thing on Melson taking end of game shots...itís not like those were designed for him. Itís awfully hard to make improvised shots when you arenít anticipating taking them. Very poor play execution at end of regulation and overtimes.

75Zag
11-24-2017, 11:41 PM
Osetkowski and Bamba are dangerous on the boards and as inside scorers. Roach shoots around 30% from the 3 point line but had a bad day against Duke today, hitting only one 3 point shot. If our 3 point shots drop against Texas like they did against Ohio State I predict we beat Texas easily. If our 3 point shots don't drop and we have to win the game inside against their bigs, it could be a long and disappointing game.

Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
11-24-2017, 11:41 PM
Something to keep in mind.....it was announced.....it will be a 10am PT tip on Sunday. That's kind of rough for the Zags

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 11:44 PM
Not at all worried about getting an at large. This is most likely a 4 loss team at most.

Appreciate your love affair for Kispert and I do believe he’s very good, but he is rightfully the 5th option. We just have that much talent. I wouldn’t have minded some plays ran for him in the 2nd OT. He has a ways to go defensively though and it’s not just against smaller quicker guards. That’s to be expected though, he’s a freshman playing in his fifth game.

Ya.. maybe i have rose colored glasses, but i just dont see more than 4 losses on this schedule. Unless St Marys improves a ton, it looks like they are missing Rahon a lot. I just dont see them beating us this year... And BYU is way down.. and no one else in the conference has near the talent level we do...

Florida, Nova, maaaaybe creighton? Who else???

demian
11-24-2017, 11:53 PM
Ya.. maybe i have rose colored glasses, but i just dont see more than 4 losses on this schedule. Unless St Marys improves a ton, it looks like they are missing Rahon a lot. I just dont see them beating us this year... And BYU is way down.. and no one else in the conference has near the talent level we do...

Florida, Nova, maaaaybe creighton? Who else???

Texas??? but I agree with you. I think we are fine in conference.

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Texas???

I guess i would give them and creighton an equal shot to beat us. I would be surprised if either did though.

Hoopaholic
11-24-2017, 11:56 PM
Something to keep in mind.....it was announced.....it will be a 10am PT tip on Sunday. That's kind of rough for the Zags

But not tough for Texas?

Hoopaholic
11-24-2017, 11:58 PM
Zags 82
Longhorns 71

Control transition
Reduce penetration
Bench production

bartruff1
11-25-2017, 01:52 AM
Gonzaga 89-80

ZenZag
11-25-2017, 05:44 AM
Zags 81
TX 77

GrizZAG
11-25-2017, 07:12 AM
Going out on a limb here but we stopped shooting the 3 it seemed and settled for JW inside scoring. The way this team is built face it, the three should be our weapon with the sharp shooters we have. I know the 3's weren't dropping and get that, but that can change as we know. We are a 3 point shooting team IMO.
It's our strength. We would get two, they would get a 3. We loose.

thespywhozaggedme
11-25-2017, 07:38 AM
87-75 zags

RenoZag
11-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Coach Few's Guys: 80
Coach Smart's Guys: 85

jazzdelmar
11-25-2017, 09:12 AM
One other thing on Melson taking end of game shots...itís not like those were designed for him. Itís awfully hard to make improvised shots when you arenít anticipating taking them. Very poor play execution at end of regulation and overtimes.

I can live w Kispert taking those kind of shots. Even if he fails, heís building a resume. Melson is Melson, good and bad. When he puts his mind to it, as he did with that drive at the end, heís a spectacular talent. But too often he prefers the laid back style. Puzzling, but thatís the way heís been for 4 years.

Larryzag
11-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Going out on a limb here but we stopped shooting the 3 it seemed and settled for JW inside scoring. The way this team is built face it, the three should be our weapon with the sharp shooters we have. I know the 3's weren't dropping and get that, but that can change as we know. We are a 3 point shooting team IMO.
It's our strength. We would get two, they would get a 3. We loose.

This is exactly what I was thinking during the overtimes. We were trading twos for their threes. It was time to change it up and take the risk and let the threes fly. We have the team that can hit them.

Larryzag
11-25-2017, 09:34 AM
The Texas game is REALLY important! If we lose, most of the good press from the Florida game disappears. With a win I think we will move up to top ten in the poles.

Zagdawg
11-25-2017, 10:48 AM
79-74 Zags

CdAZagFan
11-25-2017, 10:58 AM
I'm hoping to see a confident team in the Zags bouncing back against another tough team and having a good game on D.

Zags 87
Texas 82

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-25-2017, 12:30 PM
I’m hoping for a fired up, motivated Zags squad to show up; if they don’t come ready to play tomorrow, Texas is talented enough to win easy. Both teams come into Sunday w remarkably similar storylines: leave PK80 w a 2-1 record and on balance the close, tough loss vs [Duke / Florida] doesn’t hurt and they likely rise in the rankings. Lose Sunday, your team confidence is trending downward as is your ranking.

This is a HUGE game vs Texas and we will learn a lot about Zags’ toughness and character based on how well they show up and compete w confidence.

ZagsGoZags
11-25-2017, 12:36 PM
GU 85
UT 80

ZagzKrak
11-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Zags 83
UT 75

MDABE80
11-25-2017, 01:32 PM
TX has two exceptional bigs Mamba being one. Their guards are quick and shoot well. I'm anticipating a close one. Zags by 2-3. I don't know how many saw Tx vs Duke. TX could just as easily won that game in regulation.

stevet75
11-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Zags 87
Texas 80

bigblahla
11-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Zags 89 Texas 74

Go!! Zags!!!

zag67
11-25-2017, 04:07 PM
zags - 88 Texas - 67

willandi
11-25-2017, 04:12 PM
85-70 GON-ZAG-GA

DixieZag
11-25-2017, 05:11 PM
I don't see what the double digit win predictions are all about. Texas came up there to prove they're a top 25 tourney team, and they showed it by beating duke for 38 minutes, then taking them to OT.

We showed (showed me, at least) that we're not soft and we'll play with top 10 talent, BUT we need a standout performance, like JWIII's to do so - and we can win those games, had plenty of chances, but lost our chance when facing a 2nd OT but without Perk, then Tillie.

We are going to be playing a team every bit as desperate as us, one that has probably more raw talent than us. I'm counting on our experience and execution (something Texas couldn't do down the stretch versus Duke) to win it, 85-80, Zags, but way too close for comfort throughout.

slickguser
11-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Zags 87
Other 75

GU69
11-25-2017, 06:25 PM
I'm still tired from the double overtime. I hope that they recover better than I do.
I get that Texas is good, but the Florida game sold me on this years' GU squad.
GU 76
Texas 69
As others have said, both teams need to finish 2-1 instead of 1-2, but it's the home team that will do it.

spike_jr
11-25-2017, 06:38 PM
Hope to see improvement from the freshman and better bench scoring. I hope the boys get their legs back.
82-77 GU

All Weather Fan
11-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Zags - 74
Horns - 71
Zags move up in polls with the win.

Radbooks
11-25-2017, 08:33 PM
85 Zags
80 Texas

upan8th
11-25-2017, 09:21 PM
FLA's shooting prowess difficult to deny. UT can't compare. New challenge for Zags in the paint. Think they can handle it, albeit barely. Emotionally exhausted GU 87, Tejas Austin, 86. A missed free throw, once again, could very well decide things.

Zag_Dad
11-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Zags 84
TX 77

“Dillie Dillie”

demian
11-25-2017, 11:49 PM
I can live w Kispert taking those kind of shots. Even if he fails, heís building a resume. Melson is Melson, good and bad. When he puts his mind to it, as he did with that drive at the end, heís a spectacular talent. But too often he prefers the laid back style. Puzzling, but thatís the way heís been for 4 years.

I like Melson. He does a lot of good stuff, he just is not a guy who excels as a featured offensive player at the elite collegiate level but man oh man has he been a key cog in our success the last two years for sure and even the last three years to be accurate. I do agree with you that Melson is a SPECTACULAR talent when he drives the lane as he did twice in overtime. Those were really impressive drives and finishes. I think he needed Friday night to grow. he needs to really understand that this team might really need him to be a key scoring threat in games and not just a defensive stud and spot up three point shooter and free throw shooter and athletic equalizer. Which he has done all of those things great in his career. But there is no way to come away from that game Friday night without saying Silas needs to be a legit offensive killer for this team to realize some of there goals.

kitzbuel
11-26-2017, 04:19 AM
Zags 85

Steers 77

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-26-2017, 04:38 AM
I like Melson. He does a lot of good stuff, he just is not a guy who excels as a featured offensive player at the elite collegiate level but man oh man has he been a key cog in our success the last two years for sure and even the last three years to be accurate. I do agree with you that Melson is a SPECTACULAR talent when he drives the lane as he did twice in overtime. Those were really impressive drives and finishes. I think he needed Friday night to grow. he needs to really understand that this team might really need him to be a key scoring threat in games and not just a defensive stud and spot up three point shooter and free throw shooter and athletic equalizer. Which he has done all of those things great in his career. But there is no way to come away from that game Friday night without saying Silas needs to be a legit offensive killer for this team to realize some of there goals.

Well said. I think Melson learned something about his role on the team that may benefit him and the team as the season progresses. He is a senior. He has played in critical moments all throughout his career. He can use that experience and become a more assertive leader for the offense in close games.

LongIslandZagFan
11-26-2017, 05:05 AM
Think the boys bounce back...

Zags 80
Horns 71

Bogozags
11-26-2017, 05:40 AM

Do you think that Melson has the same role as Gary Bell Jr. (GBJ)? We all thought GU would be better if GBJ elevated his game on offence but it was as if he was "stuck" in that role of defender extraordinaire and scoring was just an after thought.

Could this also be the same "role" Coach Few has for Melson?

Zaga
11-26-2017, 06:12 AM
89-79 GonZaga

Beat them horns

Bocco
11-26-2017, 06:15 AM
Zags 82
Texas 76

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-26-2017, 06:16 AM
Do you think that Melson has the same role as Gary Bell Jr. (GBJ)? We all thought GU would be better if GBJ elevated his game on offence but it was as if he was "stuck" in that role of defender extraordinaire and scoring was just an after thought.

Could this also be the "role" Coach Few has of Melson?

Good question. I hope Melson drives into the D more and attacks the rim; he has the hops and strength to finish and absorb contact for ‘and one’ opportunities. Agree with demian’s post; Melson needs to see himself as more than a defensive star and spot up from 3 shooter. Zags need him driving into the lane and attacking the rim.

TravelinZag
11-26-2017, 06:30 AM
GU 84
TEX 76

Win, and get back to Spokane in one piece and confidence semi-restored.

Go Zags! Third weekend (plus?) doable but requires some improved cohesion. Two players still look lost occasionally, especially on defense.

Kong-Kool-Aid
11-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Gonzaga 88 - Texas 71 -> Gonzaga moves up in this weeks rankings despite the loss to the Gators.

bartruff1
11-26-2017, 07:29 AM
I would like to see Silas win the game in front of his family and friends....but if he doesn't he is a stud anyway and one of the leaders on the team...

katman50
11-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Would like to see Kispert become more of an option. Against Florida he did have a couple nice drives to the basket. But mostly he is camping out on the perimeter. And tentative in taking shots. I feel driving inside he can create shots. Also, Rui has to become more involved inside. He snagged some good rebounds, but he has to get involved more, move around and create his shots.

FlyZag
11-26-2017, 07:49 AM
66-63 Zags

Marcus
11-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Zags 89
Longhorns 85

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Both teams are tired. I get the sense that whichever team goes on an early run in the second half will pull away to win by double digits.

Zags win 80-68.

Reborn
11-26-2017, 08:53 AM
Gonzaga 82
Texas 73

Bogozags
11-26-2017, 08:59 AM
GU 84
UT 77

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-26-2017, 09:02 AM
I would like to see Silas win the game in front of his family and friends....but if he doesn't he is a stud anyway and one of the leaders on the team...

+1