PDA

View Full Version : Post game thoughts vs florida

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Merge this with the post game thread, but give me a Tillie and Perkins who dont foul out and I really do think we have a championship caliber team. I surprisingly thought it before this game, and as this team grows I think we will be right in the thick of "best team in the nation". I couldnt be more enthusiastic about this team.

PS abe... you owe Perkins an apology. In its own thread.

GeorgiaZagFan
11-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Merge this with the post game thread, but give me a Tillie and Perkins who dont foul out and I really do think we have a championship caliber team. I surprisingly thought it before this game, and as this team grows I think we will be right in the thick of "best team in the nation". I couldnt be more enthusiastic about this team.

..and the bull#### call that got Tillie out of the game..when a 6'10" guy goes straight up from behind on a 6 foot guard to grab the ball it is NOT over the back!!

Zags11
11-24-2017, 10:25 PM
First off it was a tough loss but I thought high level hoop action and great game to watch.

Perkins and Williams is a wonderful combo. Perkins makes the point go and Jw3 is a beast. A beast.

Melson had multiple shots to win and clamped up but had some greats too but I thought he struggled all gm.

Hachi didn't look ready vs a Florida team.

Our defense was poor for a lot of the stretches and didn't run back on D and gave up huge 3's.

Once Perkins left towards end of 1st OT, we vastly got outplayed in the 2nd ot. I think he is the best option we have and I like watching him.

Refs were bogus. Bogus.

In the end, the loss sucks but what a helluva gm.

Go zags

Zags11
11-24-2017, 10:27 PM
You can still be over the back even if your taller. However it was a horrible call.

Also, some ppl won't ever care for a player so let it be.

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 10:28 PM
You can still be over the back even if your taller. However it was a horrible call.

Also, some ppl won't ever care for a player so let it be.

If you dont care for perkins anymore there is something more than basketball going on. Yes i said it.

I wasnt a huge fan, but the dude is legit and getting better.

Zags11
11-24-2017, 10:30 PM
Some more thoughts here.

Florida guards are elite. And our guards battled all night.

I wish Silas would of made that free throw but it is what it is.

The defense wasn't good and the lazy running back on D killed us at times.

Norvell is wild right now IMO. Tillie was a stud as well. Kispert did well but got lost on some screens and laziness one one big 3 by Florida.

Florida hit big shot after big shot. Goodness that squad is nice.

Pleasant Peninsula
11-24-2017, 10:31 PM
I feel really weird right now. On one hand, I'm super pissed about the loss. On the other hand, I'm realizing that Gonzaga is clearly a top 10 team and is going to contend for a national championship this year. This team is legit. We just need P&M to learn from this and keep doing what they do.

El Zag
11-24-2017, 10:31 PM
playing to not lose all over again,,

ZagsObserver
11-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Depressing loss, but they played a great team tough. They were balling. Perkins, Williams and Tillie in the second overtime and we would have won. Or a Melson ft.

Zags11
11-24-2017, 10:32 PM
If you dont care for perkins anymore there is something more than basketball going on. Yes i said it.

I wasnt a huge fan, but the dude is legit and getting better.

Depends in my books. And i know what your getting at. I love this squad and Perkins but some ppl don't care for ppl. I wasn't all over pendo like some on this board. It might be his face. Idk. I hope it isn't what I'm assuming you mean.

It was fairly obvious Perkins is our best PG.

DixieZag
11-24-2017, 10:33 PM
They showed me something tonight, but they lost to a better team.

Even with everything going against them 8-1 fouls, the 5 pt play, the box-outs, we still had an offensive set to win (ugly ugly ugly), we had a FT to win, we had a 3 pt to win, that's competing. And Jazz, i take that away as a positive, not necessarily a moral victory but something to learn along the way. They can hang with a top 10, top 5 team.

Spy, I don't think we're top 5 just yet, maybe ever. Teams will grind Perk into dust b/c we have nothing if he's not running the offense and looking to score. Maybe we really should consider moving Kispert to PG to give Perk a blow.

Those refs fouled out Perk and Tillie awfully quick-like. kinda weird. No hope after that.

We looked 10x better than we did last night.

Texas will be tough. We come out 2-1 with a win over Texas and a 2 OT loss to Florida, I'm ok with that.

zagsfanforlife
Some more thoughts here.

Florida guards are elite. And our guards battled all night.

I wish Silas would of made that free throw but it is what it is.

The defense wasn't good and the lazy running back on D killed us at times.

Norvell is wild right now IMO. Tillie was a stud as well. Kispert did well but got lost on some screens and laziness one one big 3 by Florida.

Florida hit big shot after big shot. Goodness that squad is nice.

They are damn good. Damn good. Those guards.. geesh.

But our Zags hung with them every step of the way and were a free throw away from winning. I would argue that if Tillie and Perkins dont foul out we win that game. We will never know though.

FuManShoes
One Hell of a game - reminded me of the GU-Mich St classic in Maui. JW3 was something else. Our youth showed with missed switches late and the boneheaded lack of poise in not getting back, but I also give props for hanging in there despite #### reffing and some deadeye shooting from Florida. Those dudes can ball. I felt for Melson. Seemed he’d gotten over the hump and had us on the cusp and then came up short. That’s gotta hurt. Thankfully it’s only November. Hopefully it’s a blessing and we recommit to D because playing it at this level won’t end well.

Zags11
11-24-2017, 10:35 PM
They showed me something tonight, but they lost to a better team.

Even with everything going against them 8-1 fouls, the 5 pt play, the box-outs, we still had an offensive set to win (ugly ugly ugly), we had a FT to win, we had a 3 pt to win, that's competing. And Jazz, i take that away as a positive, not necessarily a moral victory but something to learn along the way. They can hang with a top 10, top 5 team.

Spy, I don't think we're top 5 just yet, maybe ever. Teams will grind Perk into dust b/c we have nothing if he's not running the offense and looking to score. Maybe we really should consider moving Kispert to PG to give Perk a blow.

Those refs fouled out Perk and Tillie awfully quick-like. kinda weird. No hope after that.

We looked 10x better than we did last night.

Texas will be tough. We come out 2-1 with a win over Texas and a 2 OT loss to Florida, I'm ok with that.

Idk know if Florida is better. I'd like to see our guys not fouled out to see. Now if they always are in foul trouble and lose, I'll agree.

tyra
We played the 7th ranked team to double overtime. It was a nail biter. When is that not a good night? I think the difference in the game was the lack of depth on our side. Coach didn’t play the subs much and when he did, they didn’t contribute much. They will be ready by March! This team will only get better!!!

kitzbuel

I can’t say I saw that. There were a couple defensive lapses that cost us a three. We get back and defend that and we win.

Perkins and Tillie being in foul trouble, then fouling out really limited what we could do.

Plainsman
11-24-2017, 10:36 PM
One Hell of a game - reminded me of the GU-Mich St classic in Maui. JW3 was something else. Our youth showed with missed switches late and the boneheaded lack of poise in not getting back, but I also give props for hanging in there despite #### reffing and some deadeye shooting from Florida. Those dudes can ball. I felt for Melson. Seemed he’d gotten over the hump and had us on the cusp and then came up short. That’s gotta hurt. Thankfully it’s only November. Hopefully it’s a blessing and we recommit to D because playing it at this level won’t end well.

Florida had way above average quickness - the kind that make for difficult D. We had a few lapses but overall I thought we played decent D against a very high calibre team.

Pleasant Peninsula
11-24-2017, 10:37 PM
Let's be honest. This is the Silas Melson Game. He had three chances to win it and he failed thrice. It's not unprecedented; Stepp had three shots to win it in the '03 2 OT classic vs Arizona and failed thrice.

bballbeachbum
11-24-2017, 10:37 PM
the D was good at times, not good at times. it's a good game for this team to experience and digest, my opinion, leaders emerged and the younguns got pressure run and answered many bells
I hope Silas takes those same looks down the stretch if he gets them, he attacked, didn't fall

DixieZag
11-24-2017, 10:38 PM

Totally disagree.

I have lots to critique on this team, but I can smell "playing not to lose" from a mile away and this team wasn't doing that.

We're young and need Perkins in the game, but we were aggressive on the boards and offensively all night.

LOTS of stuff to learn, complain, cheer on, all that, but "playing not to lose" is not an issue, at least not to me.

bballbeachbum
11-24-2017, 10:39 PM
We played the 7th ranked team to double overtime. It was a nail biter. When is that not a good night? I think the difference in the game was the lack of depth on our side. Coach didn’t play the subs much and when he did, they didn’t contribute much. They will be ready by March! This team will only get better!!!

+1

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Let's be honest. This is the Silas Melson Game. He had three chances to win it and he failed thrice. It's not unprecedented; Stepp had three shots to win it in the '03 2 OT classic vs Arizona and failed thrice.

I will take Melson coming up short in November as opposed to Stepp coming up short in March...

We only will get better folks.

In my 19 years following the zags this may be the first time ever i wasnt even too sad after a loss. This team is going to be awesome!! they already are.

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Totally disagree.

I have lots to critique on this team, but I can smell "playing not to lose" from a mile away and this team wasn't doing that.

We're young and need Perkins in the game, but we were aggressive on the boards and offensively all night.

LOTS of stuff to learn, complain, cheer on, all that, but "playing not to lose" is not an issue, at least not to me.

I am with you... "playing not to lose" wasnt the case at all.

bballbeachbum
11-24-2017, 10:41 PM

agree with you both

Plainsman
11-24-2017, 10:42 PM

Yes, we fell short from time to time and had some problems, but playing not to lose wasn't one of them. We scrapped and were aggressive the whole game.

Pleasant Peninsula
11-24-2017, 10:43 PM
I will take Melson coming up short in November as opposed to Stepp coming up short in March...

In my 19 years following the zags this may be the first time ever i wasnt even too sad after a loss. This team is going to be awesome!! they already are.

Totally agree. I think this will be a learning moment for Silas, for the Zags. This team is going to get a high seed and destroy March.

JPtheBeasta
11-24-2017, 10:44 PM
When Perkins fouled out I was already in the bargaining stages of grief; I knew it wouldn't be likely to pull this out without a point guard on the floor. Melson fought through a tough night and made a great play at the end, but fell just short. That was a great game full of amazing individual efforts. That 5-point play was a killer. So was the foul on the 3 pointer by JW3. The foul pressure by Florida in general was crippling, and didn't help the to get called for several cheapies. There were so many deflating plays but the guys kept battling. All is still well in Zagville, but that would have been a great resume game for March.

former1dog

Although Silas did have a poor game offensively, I don't think we should collectively overreact. It was just a bad game. He's had enough great games that we know who he is. He is a fantastic player. One of the very best.

I was was most surprised by the missed free throw because Melson has hit lots of clutch free throws in important situations to help win games. I fully expected him to make that shot to. Win the game. I will have zero concerns the next time he's in that situation.

As always, he played great defense!

ldszagfan

This is hard to swallow. Although Melson may not have finished it, we we're in that very position because of him. Without him, we may have not even went into double overtime. But yeah... fetch.

GonzaGAW
11-24-2017, 10:47 PM
- I'm exhausted
- I'm so pleased with the team effort and play. it hurts to lose, but that was classic basketball.
- it will be the bookend to the double o.t. loss to Arizona (at least this was in November and not march)

cggonzaga
11-24-2017, 10:48 PM
We lost the game because Hudson played out of his mind in the second half. That’s pretty much it. The guy was on fire and it didn’t matter if there was a guy in his face or not. Gonzaga was the better “team” imo.

MDABE80
11-24-2017, 10:48 PM
Then you must have eye problems... or brain problems.

If you want to accuse me of something.......don't dance around, step up. But you're way off topic. And very inappropriate.

JPtheBeasta
11-24-2017, 10:51 PM

I think this was the Hudson game. His 3's all game were killers.

Melson made a big play to even get to the rim to tie it. That three he missed was just short of a prayer; he doesn't shoot well on the run and I'm surprised it wasn't Kispert in that spot coming to the ball.

CDC84
11-24-2017, 10:51 PM
The biggest weakness that GU has this year: they lack a backup point guard for Josh. Melson just cannot run the offense. He is a PURE shooting guard. And Wade just doesn't look ready with his lack of size, his nerve injury, being away from the game so long, etc. I knew that the only chance GU had to win it was if Melson had hit that foul shot at the end of the first OT, or if he had hit that three at the end of the first OT after the traveling call (I would've gone with Kispert on that shot, but that's just me). When GU came out for the 2nd OT, they had a lineup on the floor that wasn't NCAA tournament caliber. They were done, and I was not surprised that Florida jumped on them and put the game away quickly.

I feel really bad for Melson, but as I keep telling people, pressure does amazing things to players. Silas could very well shoot 85% from the foul line this year, but pressure can make you miss. That being said, he HAS TO make that foul shot. It's easier than hitting an off balance three pointer.

JWIII was out of his mind tonight. I am still not convinced the NBA is going to be interested in him, though, due to his lack of height. He just needs a couple more inches and he would be there. I hope I am wrong because he was just amazing tonight.

This wasn't a game for Larsen at all. Florida plays a small ball game that made him out of place. I haven't seen Texas yet, but I hope he can get some more playing time vs. the Horns.

Tillie fouling out killed GU as well. It forced GU to use Rui far more than they wanted to.

I commend Florida. That was an awesome display of toughness. Everytime I thought GU might run away, they stung GU with a 3 (they made 17 of them - way too much), or Chiozza just ate up GU's guards with dribble penetration.

I have no idea what GU was thinking with that play on offense at the end of regulation. ANY shot, even JWIII for a three pointer, was better than what they got.

Overall, a great effort from a Zag team that some people doubted going into the season.

They biggest issue with a tourney like this is that GU could very well go home 1-2. Texas is going to be a handful. GU is totally exhausted right now. I know they have an off day, but they will be playing in the early afternoon on Sunday. Not much recovery time. Let's hope they get out of this thing 2-1. It would have been nice to have taken on #1 Duke. GU still has not beaten a #1. It's a program accomplishment that hasn't been achieved yet.

RenoZag
11-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Zags played hard, still lost. They will improve as the season rolls on.

They have a pretty tall task on Sunday vs. the Longhorns but after watching them tonight, I think they can compete with ANY team.

Hope you do too.

demian
11-24-2017, 10:55 PM
Really fun game. I really like this team. We are going to be a b*#ch for any team to play against us as this season goes along. Lots to like about this team. The weaknesses in November are obvious so I won’t bore everyone with the weaknesses because those things should improve over the next few months. Huge game in consolation vs Texas, GO Zags

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 10:55 PM
If you want to accuse me of something.......don't dance around, step up. But you're way off topic. And very inappropriate.

You dont like a guy with his tattoos, his crossover, flashy style playing pg... its obvious. And the fact you already know where i am going makes you seem guilty as charged.

So explain your reasoning Abe. Tell us why you STILL dont like Perkins?

Dude has balls the size of your head. Has come up clutch multiple times this year... shoots over 50% from three which is ridiculous, 83 % from the free throw line, and has a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio, which for a guy with the ball in his hands who also has to create and score.. is pretty good in itself. He is clearly the best point guard on the team.. my 3 year old cousin could see that as well. Coming in to this year i thought he was better as a shooting guard-- and that could be true still. But to just think he is not very good still?

Please explain Abe why you dont like him? I still have yet to see a good argument from you in your defense. 98% of college coaches would LOVE to have him on their team.

tyko
11-24-2017, 10:57 PM
I'm confused by this "dislike of Perkins" thing. What's the story? He's looked pretty great to me thus far.

Pargo the Destroyer
They play at 10am.

zagsfanforlife
Zags played hard, still lost. They will improve as the season rolls on.

They have a pretty tall task on Sunday vs. the Longhorns but after watching them tonight, I think they can compete with ANY team.

Hope you do too.

I do!! would have LOVED to see them take on Duke because people think they are the # 1 team in college basketball..

Even with the loss i think we could hold our own with them or anyone. Just gotta stay out of foul trouble.

cggonzaga
11-24-2017, 10:59 PM
The biggest weakness that GU has this year: they lack a backup point guard for Josh.

Said the same thing all game. If Jesse is healthy enough Few must figure out a way to get him 10mpg.

Goshzagit
11-24-2017, 11:00 PM
I can't recall a team making 17 3's on us before.

Has that happened in recent memory?

I recall St Mary's dropping 16 3's on us a couple years ago and that stuck in my mind...

CDC84
11-24-2017, 11:00 PM
Hard to win any game when you give up 17 three pointers. And the Zags almost did!

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 11:02 PM
Said the same thing all game. If Jesse is healthy enough Few must figure out a way to get him 10mpg.

just made this post. all thinking along the same lines

cggonzaga
And it wasn’t like many of them were uncontested.

zagsfanforlife
Hard to win any game when you give up 17 three pointers. And the Zags almost did!

That Hudson was hitting shots from all angles. Guy gets 3 feet off the floor on his jumpers.

JPtheBeasta
11-24-2017, 11:04 PM

And each Zag seemed to take a turn at missing one in the early minutes of the game. If any one of those goes in...

MDABE80
11-24-2017, 11:05 PM
Well it was a very close game.either side could have won. Sure there's no backup for Josh. We've got a shortage of 1..less so for the 2 spot. Jesse will be capable but not with a bum shoulder.
We have superior bigs.....nobody's contested that. Larsen and Rui need to get going and soon. Out front, I fully agree we're just short. When Josh is off the court, that subtraction may not matter so much against some of the teams we've played but when it comes to the high end teams, it's a hugely palpable los.
Josh is improving so much it's hard to imagine playing a tough squad without him.
Also, it's good to remember that nobody WANTS to perform badly. More experience by the newer players will be required. In the meantime, we just ran short of leadership players who can score and manage a hard game. It'll get better as the season continues. Still though, with only one kid who plays the 1 spot well, this might be a chronic problem. Adjustments will help but it's pretty obvious we need support out front. I do think we have an EE team if nobody gets injured. Josh is playing as well as he can or as well as we might expect. He can't do much more. We're just short. Who knows, with some luck Jesse might get better or at least play 10 mins per game. He's a smart PG and shoots very well. Crossing fingers here.

john montana
11-24-2017, 11:06 PM
My one complaint (Other than the refs not letting us rebound) is why do we have kispert in the game at the end when up 2 instead of Jones? Love kispert but fl went right at him for the tying layup.

gonzagafan62
11-24-2017, 11:08 PM

What? You cannot be serious lol. We manned up and went toe to toe with someone that will be a title contender. We went back and forth all game long. We had several shots to win that game sure, a missed FT a terrible end of regulation play but it's whatever. Those were two GREAT teams out there battling back and forth changing leads more than I changed spots on my couch. Both teams answered the bell on multiple occasions. If we didn't lose Perkins and Tillie the outcome may be diffferent. Shows we need to rotate a bit more. Chill out man. This was just an instant classic. There was nothing in your quote above that I saw tonight. I've seen it with GU before and this was not the case not even a small tiny bit

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 11:13 PM
What? You cannot be serious lol. We manned up and went toe to toe with someone that will be a title contender. We went back and forth all game long. We had several shots to win that game sure, a missed FT a terrible end of regulation play but it's whatever. Those were two GREAT teams out there battling back and forth changing leads more than I changed spots on my couch. Both teams answered the bell on multiple occasions. If we didn't lose Perkins and Tillie the outcome may be diffferent. Shows we need to rotate a bit more. Chill out man. This was just an instant classic. There was nothing in your quote above that I saw tonight. I've seen it with GU before and this was not the case not even a small tiny bit

bingo.

bballbeachbum
11-24-2017, 11:15 PM

I recall St Mary's dropping 16 3's on us a couple years ago and that stuck in my mind...

don't know about the number, but guys used to have career shooting nights against the Zags, some frustrating stuff. Hudson amazing tonight, yes, but allowed to catch and shoot way too much whether out of the half court or in transition including with Zags sleeping. all of that I would bet will be addressed, or more, this is a GREAT opportunity to address it I'd bet the coaches will devour. UF has many Jimmers looking to jack and they can do it, thought the Zags did pretty well for periods forcing the bounce and finish and living with the makes or misses on those twos that they boarded, but inconsistent for various reasons including the zone getting torched to start the 2nd half; Few went for the zone to start but White had it figured out during halftime looked like

75Zag
11-24-2017, 11:16 PM
A tough loss to watch. After Melson missed the 3 point shot at the end of OT he looked like somebody had just driven over his dog - three times in a row. I was hoping for GU to do some serious resume building at PK80 but I am not sure it worked out that way. I guess our next chance to amaze and delight the East Coast writers will be against Nova. Hope that ends better than the Florida game did.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagceo
11-24-2017, 11:17 PM
100 points from starters......

DixieZag
11-24-2017, 11:23 PM

Seemed like 4 or 5 were in the OTs, though.

First time I've seen a 5 pt play. That was interesting, took a 6 point game and made it a one point game. That's great media-based officiating.

We didn't lose bc of the refs, we didn't execute when we had our chances. But, there was some inexcusable stuff in the 2nd half. 8-1 fouls at one point? And the one foul took a basket away!

DixieZag
11-24-2017, 11:24 PM
100 points from starters......

WOW

Says it all.

23dpg
11-24-2017, 11:27 PM
My one complaint (Other than the refs not letting us rebound) is why do we have kispert in the game at the end when up 2 instead of Jones? Love kispert but fl went right at him for the tying layup.

I thought the same thing.

Great game though.

GrizZAG
11-24-2017, 11:30 PM
Perkins showed leadership tonight, made some clutch plays and ran our team from point. What more can we ask for? J3 gets the award for Amazon Effort, wow. Seeing Kispert nailing 3's was a thing of beauty. Our newbies will grow from this no question. Exceeding my expectations and can't ask for more.

zagsfanforlife
11-24-2017, 11:35 PM
Perkins showed leadership tonight, made some clutch plays and ran our team from point. What more can we ask for? J3 gets the award for Amazon Effort, wow. Seeing Kispert nailing 3's was a thing of beauty. Our newbies will grow from this no question. Exceeding my expectations and can't ask for more.

Feeling the same way you are man.

Dudes showed me a lot today. Huevos we used to call them. These guys got them.

Skimhvn
11-24-2017, 11:37 PM
How can I see the stats incruding plus minus...?
can't find on Twitter.

CDC84
11-25-2017, 12:05 AM
Something that went unnoticed tonight. According to Meehan, Corey Kispert was assigned to Egor Kouvelchov tonight who was averaging more than 21ppg. Corey held him to 1-9 shooting.

Mantua
11-25-2017, 12:27 AM

Absolutely.

It was about perimeter defense before the game even started. I think Jones could have made a difference. Subbing him in for D might have kept some others from getting into foul trouble and may have slowed down Florida’s shots.

caduceus
11-25-2017, 12:29 AM
Something that went unnoticed tonight. According to Meehan, Corey Kispert was assigned to Egor Kouvelchov tonight who was averaging more than 21ppg. Corey held him to 1-9 shooting.

He also played 46 minutes -- most on the team. I was surprised at that number.

Worthington
11-25-2017, 12:36 AM
Jalen Hudson is the reason we lost. It's as simple as that, in my opinion. Hand in his face all game, didn't matter one bit. Haven't seen someone get that hot from behind the arc ever. Great effort from our guys

caduceus
11-25-2017, 01:02 AM
How can I see the stats incruding plus minus...?
can't find on Twitter.

Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=193309

Plus-minus for the game:

Melson: -8
Williams: +1
Perkins: +5
Kispert: -6
Tillie: +5
Larsen: -7
Hachimura: +1
Jones: -7
Norvell: -14

Not a very useful stat for a single game.

Using the NBA's player efficiency stat (EFF = (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK − Missed FG − Missed FT − TO) / GP), Williams was highest by far (46), followed by Perkins and Tillie (tied 18), then Kispert (14), Rui (9), Melson (6). The rest were 1.00, except Larsen (-1). I wouldn't put too much stock in it because it's also not a very useful stat for a single game.

Skimhvn
11-25-2017, 01:24 AM
Thanks for boxscores!

It's true that Ī is not necessarily useful, but I like this coz I just like mechanical stats.

Pleasant Peninsula
11-25-2017, 03:33 AM
Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=193309

Plus-minus for the game:

Melson: -8
Williams: +1
Perkins: +5
Kispert: -6
Tillie: +5
Larsen: -7
Hachimura: +1
Jones: -7
Norvell: -14

Norvell has been atrocious. I look forward to his redemption in the coming games.

WallaWallaZag
11-25-2017, 05:41 AM
Norvell has been atrocious. I look forward to his redemption in the coming games.

he's got a lot to work on...gets lost on "d" and is a chucker on "o" -- definitely has scoring potential...surprised few doesn't have him on a tighter leash as he normally does with freshmen

Outraged
11-25-2017, 05:44 AM
So Florida is definitely better than Arizona right now and probably better than Duke right now and if the air currents in the stadium were blowing just a little differently then one of those three point shots would have not bounced out and we would think we were better than everybody until March. So let's face it it's all about March.

WallaWallaZag
11-25-2017, 05:49 AM
So Florida is definitely better than Arizona right now and probably better than Duke right now and if the air currents in the stadium were blowing just a little differently then one of those three point shots would have not bounced out and we would think we were better than everybody until March. So let's face it it's all about March.

you're taking florida over duke? after what jw3 did to them i can't wait to see how bagley does...absolutely no offense to jw3 cuz bagley's one of the top 2 picks in the draft next year and has looked awesome so far. how much better are florida's guards compared to duke and will they have the legs to keep knocking down the 3's to beat dookie???

VinnyZag
11-25-2017, 06:04 AM

Even when Wade has played, he's mostly been off the ball, with Norvell playing point. This has been confusing.

Zaga
11-25-2017, 06:05 AM

I'm with you....they played a really tough team. Very proud of our team! Go Zags~

Outraged
11-25-2017, 06:07 AM
Did you watch Duke play Texas today? Arizona is loaded with NBA prospects and just lost three in a row.

GrizZAG
11-25-2017, 06:26 AM
Luke May looked a whole lot like Kevin Love yesterday. NBA Kevin Love that is.

Saxon_zag
11-25-2017, 06:34 AM

Is Jeremy Jones the stopper or defensive specialist some are acting like he is? When few did have him in during the overtime periods he gave up easy catch and shoots to Hudson twice who already had hit like 7 3's... Fought threw screen very poorly on one. Let rui and kispert have those mins

thespywhozaggedme
11-25-2017, 06:38 AM
The only thing that I'm mad about is this very late games are killing me. I was up until 2:30 for two nights in a row and had to get up at 7:45 for work both mornings. Regarding the game, I'm not even mad, it was a amazing game, had the feel of a FF game. They made some incredible shots, plain and simple, their guards were on fire last night. JWIII may be first team AA this year and Perks 2nd or 3rd team. Two top 10 teams went head to head last night. Look at the box score:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400999724

MontanaCoyote
11-25-2017, 06:46 AM
FLA 13 off the bench, Zag's 5, difference 8, margin 6. Not THE factor but A factor.

JPtheBeasta
11-25-2017, 06:49 AM
SEC recount? Florida, not Kentucky, looks like league's best after Gonzaga win

Florida, however, fought off a team that had a shot to win the national title last season, a Gonzaga group that appears to be good enough to make another run.

On Friday, the Gators ignored the crowd and matched every Gonzaga shot until they pulled away in the second overtime. It was the best game of a tournament that featured an overtime bout between Duke and Texas earlier in the day.

The Gators also ended Friday's game with a statement victory no team in the SEC (and beyond) should dismiss.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/119986/sec-recount-florida-not-kentucky-looks-like-the-leagues-best-after-gonzaga-win

Well, if it as any consolation, this was a "statement win" for Florida- at least according to one guy...

MontanaCoyote
11-25-2017, 06:55 AM
Let's beat Texas and rise in the polls!

dadair
11-25-2017, 06:56 AM

Thanks for putting it into perspective, PP.

hooter73
11-25-2017, 07:04 AM
It gave the coaches plenty to go on.

Stache
11-25-2017, 07:25 AM
Walking in Portland this morning and people are stopping to congratulate the Zags (I am wearing a Bulldog sweatshirt). Getting lots of compliments and a Gator suggests we’ll be playing each other again in March. Lots of respect earned by a team who most didn’t know about in terms of our newish personnel just 2 weeks ago... beat Texas.

Reborn
11-25-2017, 07:26 AM
One heck of a great entertaining game. Wow. Two overtimes. Zags certainly could have won. Honestly, as good as Florida played, Gonzaga played every bit as good. Tied. as good as Hudson played, Williams played equally well if not better. As good as Chiozza played, I felt Josh played equally well. Josh was as unstoppable as Chiozza was. Josh played a GREAT second half hitting one clutch shot after another. One difference in the game was that Josh fouled out and Chiozza didn't. AS good as Florida's starting five is, Zags starting five out scored theirs. IMO Zags played absolutely great.

last night's game for me was a game that would tell me how GOOD Gonzaga is this year, and imo they're GREAT. IMO a top ten team. I enjoyed almost everything about the game. That was a good team. A VERY GOOD offensive team who also plays pretty tough D. At the end of regulation time, the game was tied 78 all. That is a really good score for both of these teams. I figured the game would be played in high seventies or low eighties because both of these teams are very good teams. I knew Florida's guards could shoot, and especially Hudson. Florida could have scored 130 against Stanford on Thursday night. True. They took their starters out with 8 minutes to go in the game. AS much as the media will say about Hudson they would have said just as much about JW3's game. He was also unstoppable, until Josh fouled out and then they triple-teamed him.

Of course I wish we would have won, but this was just as much a game we won as it was a game we lost. Zags played neck and neck with a team who will be in the top 4 this coming week in the polls. I'd have to say that's pretty good for the Zags. Zags had every bit of mental toughness and will to win as Florida had. As I said there was only one difference. Josh and Tillie fouled out. I almost forgot about Tillie fouling out. He fouled out in regulation time. KIspert played great. I would have had him taking the final 3 point shots instead of Melson. Melson was off the entire game. In fact Kispert did hit a 3 when the game was really over. My heart goes out to Melson. I've had that same thing happen to me and I think most players do. I know it hurts. Try to get over it quickly Josh because you ARE much better than that. One suggestion for Josh. Look at game film and take a look at your outside shot. You are NOT snapping your wrist and following through and making a parachute with your hand. Your shot is all arm. I also feel bad for the whole team because they played great and gave it 100% and lost in double overtime. Nothing to hang your head about. Yet I do know how it hurts, but damn, stay positive and keep believing in yourselves and your team. The team is young. We all knew that. It showed last night. The freshmen will improve by March. That too is a fact. I'm not worried in the least. The season is very very early. This loss will help us maybe more than a win would have. Zags have a long ways to go until they become the team they will be in March. Oh and if anyone questions our leadership any more I think they should have their posts deleted. I'm tired of hearing how guys like JW3 and Perkins and Melson are not leaders. If you can't see that then you're blind

Go Zags111

titopoet
11-25-2017, 08:11 AM
What I saw was two top ten teams battling it out in a high level not common in November. It could have gone either way. What to take away is the young guys were in the first big time game and they made some rookie mistake that they will not come March. The future is bright.

Zagceo
11-25-2017, 08:23 AM
Great game to watch...team is a work in progress...youth exposed as to experience.

JW3 unstoppable.....yet no touch in final play in regulation?

TacomaZAG
11-25-2017, 08:24 AM
Couple of things..............

1. Why so much zone???? Not a complaint, a real question. We had the far superior front court, the only way for Florida to win was to penetrate and dish for the 3, and the zone played right into their strength. 17 3's says it all............

2. Why the Perkins questions, and cry for a backup PG???? This was a S16 or E8 caliber opponent/game, and in those games the starting PG plays 38+ minutes in regulation. Look at the Gator PG, he could barely walk and came back in with less than a minute left in the 2nd OT. Too bad Josh fouled out in OT, Tillie too, but that is a different discussion. The Gator PG was a LOAD, and Josh played him really well on both ends of the floor.

I hated to lose this game, but there were many more positives than negatives. The season is about March, not November. Beat Texas, get 3rd in the PK80, come home, get better.......

Go ZAGS

gu03alum
11-25-2017, 09:03 AM
That game was unreal. It was so much fun. The crowd was almost entirely Zag fans. It was just like a home game.

From my seat, the refs made a lot of foul calls that were bs and confirmed with watching the video replay above. If you were watching on tv you probably heard a loud booing sound while Florida player was shooting. That was the reaction to the video replay. When I returned to my hotel last night I went to the lounge to grab some snacks. There were fans there from other teams. Many of them approached me and said we got jobbed by the refs.

That was one of the best games I have ever been in attendance for and it was also one of the most unsatisfying at the same time. Florida is a great team. Gonzaga was better.

ETA: I think this is the type of game that will carry us in March. I'm glad all the guys got this experience even if it didn't result in a W. Gonzaga will be a scary matchup for anyone who draws us in the tournament.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23844698_10159434416725198_5664847075094580277_n.j pg?oh=ed8bb9ccc4708ba9028902c90605f451&oe=5A980177

cggonzaga
11-25-2017, 09:06 AM
As to #2 above. It has nothing to do with Perkins. We just simply need a backup pg for when he’s out. Somebody that can run the team and doesn’t have to play out of position. It’s just unnatural for Silas who is a true sg doing the best he can to get us in offense when Josh takes a breather.

jim77
11-25-2017, 09:14 AM
Great game...props to FLA for pulling it out.

I think if we watch our fouls a bit more we pull it out.....That schooling that JW gave out was incredible. It was a helluva baptism for guys like Kispert...who I think needed to engage a bit more down the stretch...TOUGH kid...Hes gonna be a GREAT one. We need to keep getting as minutes as possible for RUI and Larson as well as Jones.....the lack of bench experience killed us down the stretch. This Zags team is good REAL GOOD. This team will get better.....SCARY. BEAT TEXAS!

Special Props to PERKINS....Great Job leading the charge....be really careful with you're fouls...we need ya dude!

Larryzag
11-25-2017, 09:21 AM
This Texas game is REALLY important! I think a win will validate the Zags as a top ten team whereas a loss will probably keep them where they are in the rankings.

Plainsman
11-25-2017, 09:32 AM

1. Why so much zone???? Not a complaint, a real question. We had the far superior front court, the only way for Florida to win was to penetrate and dish for the 3, and the zone played right into their strength. 17 3's says it all............

2. Why the Perkins questions, and cry for a backup PG???? This was a S16 or E8 caliber opponent/game, and in those games the starting PG plays 38+ minutes in regulation. Look at the Gator PG, he could barely walk and came back in with less than a minute left in the 2nd OT. Too bad Josh fouled out in OT, Tillie too, but that is a different discussion. The Gator PG was a LOAD, and Josh played him really well on both ends of the floor.

I hated to lose this game, but there were many more positives than negatives. The season is about March, not November. Beat Texas, get 3rd in the PK80, come home, get better.......

Go ZAGS

You have to remember - the zone shut Florida down for long stretches in the first half and was very effective. I suspect the Florida coaches coached up some adjustments at half time. I see the Zags switching back and forth during games all season depending on the skill set of the teams they are facing. Just part of the in game adjustments good coaches make.

gu03alum
11-25-2017, 09:33 AM
You have to remember - the zone shut Florida down for long stretches in the first half and was very effective. I suspect the Florida coaches coached up some adjustments at half time. I see the Zags switching back and forth during games all season depending on the skill set of the teams they are facing. Just part of the in game adjustments good coaches make.

Good point, Florida scored 58 points in the first half against Stanford in the first half and 29 points against Gonzaga in the first half.

75Zag
11-25-2017, 09:35 AM
I am still a bit uncertain about Larsen. He doesn't look like he has the body strength to go head-to-head in rebounding battles against major college talent. It will be interesting to see if he gets some minutes to match up against Mohamed Bamba and Dylan Osetkowski on Sunday morning. Is Larsen's knee at 100%? That brace looked mighty big and he frequently seemed a step slow during his 6 minutes last night.

Go Bulldogs!

BobZag
11-25-2017, 09:41 AM
Zags are better than I had anticipated. Not as good as last year but still good. I'm proud of how they played vs a talented veteran team like Florida. With Kispert, Norvell and Rui, the youngster Zags got an education they needed.

I feel for Silas, but the pressure was immense (family, hometown, the whole game, big atmosphere) on his shoulders.

Zags always lose by 6. Weird.

Best vs Texas, Sunday.

zagamatic
11-25-2017, 09:45 AM
The one thing that I would change about this game other than making free throws down the stretch is that with 0.7 seconds left to go in the 1st overtime I would like to have seen a lob to Larsen at the rim. I know that he hadn't played much last night, but with his height AND bulk advantage it's far more likely that he gets a tip in and/or gets fouled than Melson making a rushed 3. And yes, I'd rather throw it up to Larsen than JWIII in that situation because of free throws even though JWIII did a much better job in that department last night.

bartruff1
11-25-2017, 09:46 AM
This Texas game is REALLY important! I think a win will validate the Zags as a top ten team whereas a loss will probably keep them where they are in the rankings.

In a nutshell......and it is no given, both teams coming off great games in losses....

cggonzaga
11-25-2017, 09:52 AM
The one thing that I would change about this game other than making free throws down the stretch is that with 0.7 seconds left to go in the 1st overtime I would like to have seen a lob to Larsen at the rim. I know that he hadn't played much last night, but with his height AND bulk advantage it's far more likely that he gets a tip in and/or gets fouled than Melson making a rushed 3. And yes, I'd rather throw it up to Larsen than JWIII in that situation because of free throws even though JWIII did a much better job in that department last night.

They ran a lob for Rui but the pass wasn’t made.

cggonzaga
11-25-2017, 09:53 AM

I agree Larry.

DixieZag
11-25-2017, 09:58 AM

One thing I would change is with 8 seconds left and the ball in a tied game, how on Earth is the ball not in Perkins or JwIII (or even Kispert's) hands with 2 seconds left?

I'm not dumping on Silas, it's just that those 2 were clearly the leaders/scorers, and maybe they don't make the shot, either. But that shot must be taken by one of those two IMO.

As good as we looked, and I'm damn proud of how tough they fought through some VERY questionable officiating, and some very hot shooting, we still need a couple good wins before conference season starts or we're going to be a little nervous.

If we beat Texas, I'll be extremely proud of the group going home, b/c Texas earned their stripes taking Duke to OT. It will be considered a very good win. We need that b/c we sure can't count on beating Nova in NYC.

JPtheBeasta
11-25-2017, 09:58 AM

The game plan for stretches seemed to be pass the ball to Hudson and drain a 3-pointer. He was hitting them from all over the court. He didn't need much room last night.

SwainZag
11-25-2017, 10:07 AM
I watched the game this morning and wow. Incredibly tough loss, but what can you do? I think if Wade could go we win that game. Hudson was unreal. Say all you want about defense, but anytime someone goes 8-12 behind the arc you just have to sit back and applaud the young man. I feel for Silas, BUT this is a game in November. I wanted a shot at Duke pretty badly, but what can you do. JWIII had the quietest 39 points out of any college game I have ever seen. I'm pumped for the rest of this season.

MDABE80
11-25-2017, 10:10 AM
1. Josh needs support. If Jesse can't go, he should redshirt and save a year. Won't help much anyway if his shoulder is lousy.
2. Out 2 main bigs are sensational.
3. We lost Fla due to their 3 pt shooting and our 3 pt defense .
4 . Evenup game lost with a simple FT. Says a lot about how even this game was. We have a tough bunch of kids. We could have just as easily won this one. This is good news.
5. TX is every bit as tough as Duke and they showed it. Hope the kids rest their legs.

caduceus
11-25-2017, 10:38 AM

We wouldn't even have been in position to win were it not for Silas. Melson has missed just one free throw all season. Yes, it was that one, but his contributions on defense have been substantial. His steals to personal fouls ratio is double that of anyone else on the team (and triple the team average). He also has the best AST/TO ratio on the team by a good margin. Not everything is obvious by just looking at the box score.

zagsfanforlife
11-25-2017, 10:39 AM
We wouldn't even have been in position to win were it not for Silas. Melson has missed just one free throw all season. Yes, it was that one, but his contributions on defense have been substantial. His steals to personal fouls ratio is double that of anyone else on the team (and triple the team average). He also has the best AST/TO ratio on the team by a good margin. Not everything is obvious by just looking at the box score.

Let alone we wouldnt be in that position if he didnt make an outstanding drive and finish at the rim for the and 1 in the first place. Silas has been very good this year. I am a fan!

thespywhozaggedme
11-25-2017, 10:40 AM
1. Josh needs support. If Jesse can't go, he should redshirt and save a year. Won't help much anyway if his shoulder is lousy.
2. Out 2 main bigs are sensational.
3. We lost Fla due to their 3 pt shooting and our 3 pt defense .
4 . Evenup game lost with a simple FT. Says a lot about how even this game was. We have a tough bunch of kids. We could have just as easily won this one. This is good news.
5. TX is every bit as tough as Duke and they showed it. Hope the kids rest their legs.

Jesse can't redshirt, he's already seen game action. Unless he applies for and is granted a medical redshirt.

CdAZagFan
11-25-2017, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=TacomaZAG;1339795]1. Why so much zone???? Not a complaint, a real question. We had the far superior front court, the only way for Florida to win was to penetrate and dish for the 3, and the zone played right into their strength. 17 3's says it all............/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking just the opposite. I thought the zone in the first half really slowed Florida down and I couldn't understand why we didn't see it at all in the OT's. It seems like Florida just kept doing the same thing over and over and over again in the OTs - I think a switch to zone (with the top guys out high so they didn't give up the 3) would have at least made their point guard have to adjust to something different. I think this was great experience and will get worked out as the season goes on...

Overall it was an incredible high-quality early season game. I was super impressed with all the clutch shots GU came up with (Perkins, Melson, JWIII) - when they needed it most. Florida did the same thing - and just made a couple more than the Zags.

Feeling much better about a loss to this Florida team, than I would be if they would have lost to Washington State!

cggonzaga
11-25-2017, 11:30 AM
I don’t agree with the “lousy 3pt defense” comments. We left a few open shooters but that is Florida’s game and they were just flat out hot last night. Sometimes there just isn’t much you can do and tip your hats to them. Again, we win going away if not for Mr. Hudson’s career game.

Larryzag
11-25-2017, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=TacomaZAG;1339795]1. Why so much zone???? Not a complaint, a real question. We had the far superior front court, the only way for Florida to win was to penetrate and dish for the 3, and the zone played right into their strength. 17 3's says it all............/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking just the opposite. I thought the zone in the first half really slowed Florida down and I couldn't understand why we didn't see it at all in the OT's. It seems like Florida just kept doing the same thing over and over and over again in the OTs - I think a switch to zone (with the top guys out high so they didn't give up the 3) would have at least made their point guard have to adjust to something different. I think this was great experience and will get worked out as the season goes on...

Overall it was an incredible high-quality early season game. I was super impressed with all the clutch shots GU came up with (Perkins, Melson, JWIII) - when they needed it most. Florida did the same thing - and just made a couple more than the Zags.

Feeling much better about a loss to this Florida team, than I would be if they would have lost to Washington State!

This is actually a case where a loss raises our poll ranking. The CBS Top 25 and 1 put us at #14 today. If we beat Texas I wouldn't be surprised at a ranking of about 10. However a loss to Texas will drop us back down.

GU69
11-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Wow, what a game. Truly amazing and it convinced me that this team is much better than I thought. Perkins, Williams, and Tillie played great. A little more experience for the bench and this will be a great team.

Two overtimes means there are lots of things that could have changed that would have made it a win. The two that stand out to me are: (1) Hudson. I know he's good, but he's not going to go 8 for 12 from three every night. He just had a great game. (2) A few weird calls by the officials. It's not like the fouls were completely lopsided, but you can change a close game with just a couple bad calls.

Now I'd like to see Florida meat Duke and GU beat Texas.

Zagger
11-25-2017, 12:13 PM

Ditto 😊

bartruff1
11-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Melson never lost that game, but he had a opportunity to win it....I think that was the first foul shot he has missed this year.... the kid is tough, in the Nietzsche mode of anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger....

I never complain about the officials and they made some brave calls in the closing seconds..... when all to often.... the officials swallow their whistles ...

MDABE80
11-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Jesse can't redshirt, he's already seen game action. Unless he applies for and is granted a medical redshirt.
The limit is 5 games or less. If an injury intervenes, it's a medical redshirt if the wants that. I'm beginning to think it might be best. Incredibly talented kid with some "ring rust" and a bad wing. I hope to see him do damage to many records. PLUS he's a pure PG who shoots the lights out. I wish him the very best. Great ballhandler in HS. He's a great new player. The "GOD'S are testing him!

zagbeliever
11-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Say what you will but this was a GREAT game by both teams. Neither team gave up and both played with heart. I see so much potential with these guys playing that well after a few fluff games. Mistakes? Sure there were mistakes but all in all the game was March basketball to me. I love the dedication Silas plays with and I hate player bashing. They play as a team, they win or lose as a team.

bartruff1
11-25-2017, 01:23 PM
OK Doc, I will ask you again...who's minutes is Wade going to take ??? He will play in the WCC...... some....

MDABE80
11-25-2017, 01:23 PM
I don’t agree with the “lousy 3pt defense” comments. We left a few open shooters but that is Florida’s game and they were just flat out hot last night. Sometimes there just isn’t much you can do and tip your hats to them. Again, we win going away if not for Mr. Hudson’s career game.
How many 3's did they shoot uncontested!! My God. They outshot us 18-10 from 3. It's the worst against us in History !! lol

MDABE80
11-25-2017, 01:24 PM
We all know what you're insinuating. And it makes you look like an ass. There's no place for you and this junk on GUBoards. Be gone.

Drunk obnoxious teens say this kind of crap. They don't stop until they're gone and stopped. NO worries...it's a big distraction but the mods must do their job.

MDABE80
11-25-2017, 01:28 PM
OK Doc, I will ask you again...who's minutes is Wade going to take ??? He will play in the WCC...... some....

No Bart , I think I missed your question. I'd sit him this year and do what must be done to fix his shoulder. This assumes his should fixes itself with time..something I doubt. If Jesse simply cannot contribute, I see every reason to get it fixed if possible. I'm sure the orthopods are on this already. Again though, he won't take minutes...he won't play. Next year though, if it works out, I can see Jess at the PG spot and Josh sliding over to the SG spot since Silas will be gone.'Overall, I'm very happy with the 4 kids who seems to be producing. Silas will get better I hope. But the TEAM is great. A loss is a loss and nothing more. This one counted though considering who we played and how we lost. Considering we could have simply won with a silly FT, things are ok.

Wish we had more depth. It's early though. AS BZ points out, those 4 kids are talented...but they'll be much better come March.

Section 116
11-25-2017, 02:02 PM
Mark Few: Gonzaga coach Mark Few, who guided the Bulldogs to the NCAA championship game last season before losing to North Carolina, called the game “epic.”

“We had our chances to win it and didn’t get it done,” he said. “They hit some big shots and got it done. It wasn’t because of a lack of effort on our part or lack of execution on our part or anything like that. They just won.”

Link: http://jacksonville.com/sports/florida-gators/2017-11-25/florida-duke-go-overtime-set-championship-game-meeting

basketballzag
11-25-2017, 02:05 PM
Reading this thread it certainly sounds like the season is over. :fingergun:

Especially when the Gators gave up the most points in a victory in school history. :lmao:

TacomaZAG
11-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Good point, Florida scored 58 points in the first half against Stanford in the first half and 29 points against Gonzaga in the first half.

And Stanford got beat by Eastern Wa. Not sure what point you're making here, except that Stanford is bad and we're not.......

My point was that the Florida PG broke down the zone at will (more props to him than complaints about us), penetrating to the foul line and dishing for 3's. That partial penetration and dish only works against a zone. If he penetrates against a man-to-man defense, the trees can help out and any dish is for 2, not 3. The only way for Florida to beat us was to live/die by the 3, and the continued use of zone in the 2nd half played right into their hands. I'm not saying abandon the zone entirely, just use it sparingly against a team that lives and dies by the 3.

Go ZAGS

john montana
11-25-2017, 02:26 PM
And Stanford got beat by Eastern Wa. Not sure what point you're making here, except that Stanford is bad and we're not.......

My point was that the Florida PG broke down the zone at will (more props to him than complaints about us), penetrating to the foul line and dishing for 3's. That partial penetration and dish only works against a zone. If he penetrates against a man-to-man defense, the trees can help out and any dish is for 2, not 3. The only way for Florida to beat us was to live/die by the 3, and the continued use of zone in the 2nd half played right into their hands. I'm not saying abandon the zone entirely, just use it sparingly against a team that lives and dies by the 3.

Go ZAGS

We only played zone for the first couple of minutes in the second half. The zone worked great in the first half (Held fl to 29) but they figured it out early in the second and we went man the rest of the game. I thought we did use the zone sparingly...too much so. Wish we had gone back to it late just to change things up a bit.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-25-2017, 03:28 PM
We only played zone for the first couple of minutes in the second half. The zone worked great in the first half (Held fl to 29) but they figured it out early in the second and we went man the rest of the game. I thought we did use the zone sparingly...too much so. Wish we had gone back to it late just to change things up a bit.

I kind of wish we’d use Larsen and the zone for a couple of possessions after Tillie fouled out just to change the look for a minute or two.

I tip my hat to Florida. They played really, really hard and really well. Both teams did.

Zagceo
11-25-2017, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=Section 116;1339915]Mark Few: Gonzaga coach Mark Few, who guided the Bulldogs to the NCAA championship game last season before losing to North Carolina, called the game “epic.”

“We had our chances to win it and didn’t get it done,” he said. “They hit some big shots and got it done. It wasn’t because of a lack of effort on our part or lack of execution on our part or anything like that. They just won.”

Link: http://jacksonville.com/sports/florida-gators/2017-11-25/florida-duke-go-overtime-set-championship-game-meeting[/QUOTE

..it was planned to get the ball to Melson and let him throw up a desperation shot at the end of regulation.

Zags11
11-25-2017, 05:22 PM
How many 3's did they shoot uncontested!! My God. They outshot us 18-10 from 3. It's the worst against us in History !! lol

It was bad. Also lazy D at times. I think a cpl they were moaning about calls and didn't get back on D for a wide open 3 for Florida.

billyberu
11-25-2017, 05:25 PM

Go ZAGSWell said.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Zagceo
11-25-2017, 05:26 PM
It was bad. Also lazy D at times. I think a cpl they were moaning about calls and didn't get back on D for a wide open 3 for Florida.

on radio Morrison mentioned Warriors are famous for inbounding ball quickly after whistles and catching teams walking down Court......coaches not coaching or players not listening to coaches.....take your pick

Zags11
11-25-2017, 05:29 PM
on radio Morrison mentioned Warriors are famous for inbounding ball quickly after whistles and catching teams walking down Court......coaches not coaching or players not listening to coaches.....take your pick

Agree. The ones I'm talking about is kispert complaining on no call while walking back up the court. And I think it was melson on another.

This game was classic. Unfortunately a team had to lose and it was us.

MDABE80
11-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Tacoma.....and Billly.......Josh can't do all 40 min per game. The point I that he needs a BU guard.......rest, legs considered. Shooting declines with tired legs and becomes less effective.

GeorgiaZagFan
11-25-2017, 05:58 PM

..this team can be special once again IF/WHEN.....Kispert improves/matures his defense ... his offense is pretty good right now, Norvell settles down and lets the game happen without forcing things, and Rui just makes progress in all areas...at times he looks really good on both offense and defense and then other times he looks lost...and finally if Larsen keeps improving. If those 4 players step it up to go along with Tillie, Perkins, JWIII, and Melson this team can go a long way in March!

cggonzaga
11-25-2017, 06:06 PM

No it wasn’t actually. Were there a couple lapses? Yes. Overall we gave up 12 threes in regulation. Exactly the number Florida averages per game. We gave up 5 in 2 OTs on tired legs and without Perk and Tillie. I guess different people watch different games because I didn’t see a bunch of wide open attempts. I saw a guy have a career game with hands in his face and a really good group of Florida guards knock down shots. We play them 10 times and I guarantee you they don’t make more than their average again.

Also, this is a team averaging 102ppg and we gave up 78 in regulation.

zagfan24
11-25-2017, 06:23 PM
The entire game had the intensity and level of play typically reserved for March. No moral victories, but I came away feeling better about the Zags despite the loss. They showed a lot of toughness and it is evident that there is a lot of room for growth. If Kispert, Norvell, Rui, and Larsen can all improve throughout the season the Zags have final 4 potential. I didn't think that was necessarily the case before. Williams won't play like that every night, but he was just incredible. I feel for Silas too...was certainly not for a lack of effort on his part, and his defense has been fantastic all year.

I will say the only silver lining is the lack of another late game. Right at the end of the game last night, I had to run to a 24 hr. pharmacy to get meds for one of my kiddos. Two nights in a row of being up past 1:30 central time and then spending the next day alone with two toddlers has been every bit as exhausting as playing in a double OT game, I think.

zagfan24
11-25-2017, 06:24 PM
I'd also really like to see a rule change wherein any player not disqualified at the end of regulation gets an additional foul to give, and then one more every 2 OT's. It's too bad when the end of classic games gets dictated by who fouls out.

DixieZag
11-25-2017, 06:29 PM
I'd also really like to see a rule change wherein any player not disqualified at the end of regulation gets an additional foul to give, and then one more every 2 OT's. It's too bad when the end of classic games gets dictated by who fouls out.

Fantastic idea. Really is. Maintains the spirit and purpose of the rule.

Hoopaholic
11-25-2017, 06:48 PM
No it wasnít actually. Were there a couple lapses? Yes. Overall we gave up 12 threes in regulation. Exactly the number Florida averages per game. We gave up 5 in 2 OTs on tired legs and without Perk and Tillie. I guess different people watch different games because I didnít see a bunch of wide open attempts. I saw a guy have a career game with hands in his face and a really good group of Florida guards knock down shots. We play them 10 times and I guarantee you they donít make more than their average again.

Completely agree

caduceus
11-25-2017, 07:46 PM

I agree. It makes no sense the way it is now. If coaches get an extra timeout per OT, why not give players an additional foul to give? Besides, the game goes faster when every player isn't fouling out.

Murphy outgo lifer
11-25-2017, 08:57 PM
No it wasn’t actually. Were there a couple lapses? Yes. Overall we gave up 12 threes in regulation. Exactly the number Florida averages per game. We gave up 5 in 2 OTs on tired legs and without Perk and Tillie. I guess different people watch different games because I didn’t see a bunch of wide open attempts. I saw a guy have a career game with hands in his face and a really good group of Florida guards knock down shots. We play them 10 times and I guarantee you they don’t make more than their average again.

I'll go with what Morrison said on the radio broadcast,

GU did a poor job getting back on defense which allowed several open threes and they cannot let Hudson shoot in-rhythm jump shots after he has been super hot from three. They need to run him off the 3 line and force him to beat you another way. They did a poor job at that.

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2017, 06:08 AM
Few, in a post game article, said that GU does very sophisticated switching and the younger guys don’t have a hang of it yet. He said that everyone was going to focus on the 2% that went wrong but he thought it was a great game. I’ll bet he was proud of his guys in this loss.

ZagsGoZags
11-26-2017, 08:14 AM
it will be so nice when Rui and Zach learn the system well enough to get more minutes, we need them both. Zach still seems to have a lot of those habits probably developed when he was by far the best player on the floor. I am sure they will both mature and I hope progress is rapid.
on the other hand, with more defense and handles training and experience, Kispert should already be getting the minutes Few gives him. I will be glad when he knows his way around to get this swagger and make things happen offensively. This guy can hunt and make his own shots.

bballbeachbum
11-26-2017, 08:22 AM
I saw a different game than you all saying the 3 point d was good. keeping a team to their average evidences the opposite imo...Florida got what they wanted and made them. arriving to contest with a hand up after the catch and shoot is in motion is what good 3 point shooters like, it's how the Zags used to play 3 point d years ago. whatever, we saw different games :)

anyway, Zags still played well, went zone in the 1st half successfully, tried to start the 2nd half with it and got burned by White who had his boys primed to punk it after being slowed by it, and they did. Zags went M2M the rest of the way, fought hard, had chances, fell short.

Zagceo
11-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Few, in a post game article, said that GU does very sophisticated switching and the younger guys don’t have a hang of it yet. He said that everyone was going to focus on the 2% that went wrong but he thought it was a great game. I’ll bet he was proud of his guys in this loss.

also......like how Few took responsibility for end of game (regulation) play .....one of many plays but