PDA

View Full Version : Three Point Shooting: A Ring of Fire

ZagsGoZags
11-24-2017, 09:10 AM
I have never seen a zag team with so many 3-pt daggers. Last night it looked like Few was adjusting his usual in-out focus on the paint, to include an equal focus on the Ring of Fire. And I hope this trend continues. For one thing we do not have our usual Big Man distributing from the top of the key, like Batista, Kelly O, Sam,and Karno did. Larson may become such a player this season. In the meantime I like the idea of building our superb 3-pt shooting cadre more into the system, which will open up the paint for Tillie and JWIII this year, like having Karno and Collins did last year.
Cory K, Tillie, Wade, Josh P, Zach N. form the Ring of Fire IMHO, because by the end of the season I think they will have the highest 3pt shooting percentages. Close behind them with good accuracy also are Melson, JWIII, Rui, and possibly J. Jones. They are all taking nearly all good shots with only Norvel forcing a few, but he will get into the Few system eventually and look for the quick pass to others when he is covered, and wait for his shot to come to him on the perimeter. With this many daggers from the perimeter it is not so important to have shooters who can hunt and make their own shot.
I could be wrong, but I would like to see out system more focus on swing passing, and driving into the paint looking for the kick out to 3 pt shooters, looking for the guy who takes the good shot. Not only have I never seen a zag team so deadly from the 3, but can't remember many other teams either.

Mantua
11-24-2017, 11:56 AM
Norvell needs to square up when he shoots.

MDABE80
11-24-2017, 12:13 PM
We are not driving the ball into the key. Best tactic to collapse the defense of the opponent and then dish. If you sit out in 3 land, that's the recipe for a few bad bad losses. Anyone know why our guards are "key averse"?

cjm720
11-24-2017, 01:01 PM
We are not driving the ball into the key. Best tactic to collapse the defense of the opponent and then dish. If you sit out in 3 land, that's the recipe for a few bad bad losses. Anyone know why our guards are "key averse"?

This is the biggest weakness on the team...we will live and die by the three without guard penetration.

ZagsGoZags
11-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Of all our 3 pt shooters, we already have three who can drive into lanes well, and two of them are good finishers. They are kispert and tillie, and rui can drive while we wait to see what kind of finisher he becomes. To be a good finisher there must be quick adapting to other players, changing the original plan, and alert to other options as you go in. Perkins, melson, norvell, and JWIII may or may not ever make it. It may be one of those features of great athletes (some even change plans in mid-air) that can be practiced and focused on, but some may not ever have the ability. Sam, marquise carter, meech and possibly pargo come to mind. Its a combination of quick motor reflexes, and a quick mindset to go with it, and to some degree probably inborn.