• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

What was Rice University thinking??

Look, Jeremy Jones may not ever be a star at Gonzaga, but how can a university at the level of Rice not take advantage of a 6-7 guy with that huge of a wingspan and that level of athleticism at the small forward position??

They really fouled up with him. A lot of coaches at Rice's level would kill to have a kid with Jeremy's physical profile.

Then again, if you look at Rice's record over the past six years ago or so..........it speaks for itself.
  • jchocolate99
    Kennel Club
    • Jan 2013

Really just shows the progression of GU over the years with it's level of talent... Years prior Jeremy would be a player that would get significant playing time at GU because of his athleticism

Comment

• kdaleb
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

It's been great seeing him get more minutes as the season has progressed. I would love to see him start getting a few more shots on the offensive end; he's already a solid presence on the defensive end.

Comment

• Zags_Fanatic
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2012

Does anybody know if he is on scholarship this year? If he isn't and there is one available that needs to be corrected immediately. Transferring in as a walk-on and working his way into the rotation is impressive.

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

He really looked good out there tonight. I hope he keeps developing so that GU can put in a defensive ace when Kispert is going thru his freshman growing pains. Jeremy also seems to have more of an idea of where he's going with the basketball than Rui who is turning into a charge machine and is having issues finishing bunnies near the rim. Not that I don't want Rui to improve more as well, but I like having as many options as possible.

Comment

• kdaleb
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

He was put on scholarship this year

Comment

• bdmiller7
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2017

He was on scholarship for football at Rice and played basketball when football season was done. He did start basketball games as a freshman at Rice so they knew he could play.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                Banned
                • Feb 2007

I thought this thread was going to be about Kovulchuk

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

I don't enjoy those times that I have to eat what I say, but truthfully I have to do that when it comes to Jones. I made a negative statement about his play a couple of weeks ago, and man was I wrong. He is playing so well. He is soooo smooth. He knows how to play the game, and has the eyes of a college QB. He will be a huge contributor off the bench just like Few said he would be. My apologies, Jeremy. Way to go, and keep it up.

Go Zags111
                  Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

He appears to be a security blanket for Few when the team isn’t playing defense. It’s nice to be able to go that deep on the bench and have such confidence in a player.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

small sample size, but jj appears to be the zags best finisher on drives to the hoop...melson probably next

Comment

• Goshzagit
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
                        small sample size, but jj appears to be the zags best finisher on drives to the hoop...melson probably next
                        This.

Been saying all season so far, our backcourt lacks a finishing touch this season. Our guards aren't going to be scoring around the rim very often, so pretty reliant on their ability to hit 3's (which will be hit or miss).

Florida will extend their defense, so hope our guys can dribble drive tonight and get it going. Put more pressure on the defense, instead of just relying on 3pt makes and our bigs to finish for us.

Jeremy seems to use his length well. I also think we should run plays for Kispert off curls and screens in the paint...I just have a feeling he can finish with the best of em, yet our designed plays are double screen to get him 3pt shots.

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Our guards will make their bones as 3 pt shooters. Not much "driving the key" this year. Defense will be the calling card.
                          Jeremy is a great find. Uber athletic and hard nosed defense. If I had to guess, I'd say his skills will be come more valuable as the season wears on. Tough cookie this kid with a great understanding of the roll. Like him a lot. We're lucky to have him.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Showed me a lot last night. I’d move him ahead of Rui. At some pt, Few will drill down to 8 and I suspect Jeremy will be in the group.

Comment

• Mantua
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

I never wrote him off because it was clear that he was pretty smart and a good athlete who never had the chance to get settled into the rotation.
                              Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

Working...
                              X