PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-OSU

Section 116
11-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Hudson: GU 86-59 to move to 4-0. First half was fairly competitive, not a lot of defense early but the Zags clamped down defensively and held OSU without a field goal for an 8 minute stretch late in the first half, and moved steadily ahead from there. Williams 21, Perkins 20, Kispert 10 as Zags shoot 58% from the field. Bates-Diop averaging 19, held to 7 by GU and OSU shoots only 34.5% from the floor. Zags pass first true test of season. Early on game went back and forth early but Hudson noted in a pregame conversation with Perkins, Perkins said he intended to ge aggressive today and he was. 2-3 zone Zags switched to held OSU scoreless for about the last 8 minutes of the half. Zags win rebounds 35-31. Kispert really responded after sitting much of the first half with 2 fouls. Morrison noted Kispert and is very cerebral and after making a bonehead play for his second foul he still really kept his head in the game. J3 very patient in the game and let it come to him as he had the team high 21. GU at 48% from three, 12-25. Tillie 11 and 8.

Michaelson: Had the scout and the switch to the 2/3 zone helped. We did a good job mixing up with man and zone and that bothered them before we switched to the 2/3. Guys paid attention to the scout and really shut down Bates Diop. I got a little nervous when a couple of their guys hit some early threes which was out plan to have them shoot from out there. Defensively we have been on a heck of a run for actually the last decade. This is over 60 straight games now we have held opponets below 50%. But tomorrow night is a whole different deal. We are going to have to have 9 guys play really well. Corey was remarkable, we put him on a big time player and early on he picked up those two fouls, and most freshman would have folded but not Corey. He is a special kid. We played Florida last year and we know how good they are and this year they are twice as good. Those two transfers have really helped. We're gonna have our hands full tomorrow night, Florida is a top 5 team for sure. On a side note Michaelson became a parent for the third time with a new daughter born this week. Scheduled tip against UF is currently scheduled for 8pm PST.

Larsen and Jones have done everything right when they have come in. They are slowly getting better and contributing. Competition was much less for OSU who came in at 4-0 and averaging 85 and shooting 50%. GU really shut them down.

That's about it for this evening, except for a game story link from the Oregonian: http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/11/pk80_rebuilding_gonzaga_looks.html#incart_river_in dex

cggonzaga
11-23-2017, 11:48 PM
Thanks section.

CDC84
11-24-2017, 01:10 AM
You know, the "culture change" with Gonzaga's defense started right around the time that Brian was hired as assistant. It kind of makes you wonder. Since Brian was hired, we have just seen GU's players pay more attention to defense. We have also seen bigger guards and lengthier wings.

Sometimes having new blood - even young, inexperienced new blood - can help a long time head coach see things in a new way. It's just a thought.

billyberu
11-24-2017, 08:28 AM
You know, the "culture change" with Gonzaga's defense started right around the time that Brian was hired as assistant. It kind of makes you wonder. Since Brian was hired, we have just seen GU's players pay more attention to defense. We have also seen bigger guards and lengthier wings.

Sometimes having new blood - even young, inexperienced new blood - can help a long time head coach see things in a new way. It's just a thought.Honestly, I believe that Ray Giacoletti started the trend, yet it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Michaels brought it to another level.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bballbeachbum
11-24-2017, 01:21 PM
thank you 116, always

and to CDC and Billy too, I'm very interested in the who and how of it all. It has been incredible

a few years back at the end of the 2010 season I posted this Team Identity: Defense http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?27143-Team-Identity-Defense
I wondered if it was the beginning of a new era of Zag basketball or not.

Ha! Not every season since has been elite defense, but I'm with Michaelson in that the Zags have evolved into this elite level defensive team, for lots of reasons, over the course of some seasons of trying to do it and, depending on the season, doing it really well. hopefully more tonight and this season, tonight will tell us a lot again

zag buddy
11-24-2017, 04:56 PM
I noticed the change when coach G came also.

cjm720
11-24-2017, 07:22 PM
82-80 Zags

Wrong thread lol

Thanks, 116-love these posts