PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Ohio State Post Game thoughts and analysis

Reborn
11-23-2017, 11:04 PM
Gonzaga 86
Ohio St 59

Who said Gonzaga couldn't score 80 points? "nuff said. Absolutely great game by GU. Perkins looked great. I think he hit five three's. Dominated as much as any guard in this tournament has. Gosh He can shoot. AND PASS. Josh with just 2 turnovers and Melson just one. Jonathan Williams had 21 pts on 8-10 shooting, and he was 5-7 at the foul line. Kispert had 10 second half points and made 2 threes. He didn't play much of the first half as he got 2 quick fouls and had to sit out. Tillie also sat out a lot and played great with 8 and 11. He's one tough cookie. Zags shot 58% from the field and 49% from the beyond the 3 pt line. They were 12 for 25 from behind the arch. I have to give both Larsen and Jones some bravo high fives as they both played very solid. Finally Rui hit 2 threes at the end of the game. He's just has to relax.

Ohio St started out really good as they made alot of threes and went to the line often. Zags switched to a zone at it really worked. They ended up shooting only 35% for the game and 30% from behind the arch.

I have to say that Gonzaga looked really good. Better than I thought they would. They really paid tough D and rebounded well against a pretty big team. I knew they would be ready to go up to the next level. And tomorrow they are going to have to go to an even higher one. But our guys no how to get there. It's going to be a great game tomorrow night.

Go Zags111

Skimhvn
11-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Rui made his first three! Good job.I have comfirmed his shooting skill.

zagsfanforlife
11-23-2017, 11:09 PM
these zags are good. I have been trying to tell people. I think tomorrow will be telling. And i expect them to beat a very very good florida team.

Mantua
11-23-2017, 11:15 PM
The defense wasn’t bad.

OSU - FG 35% 3FG 30% Scored under 60 points

GU - 5 Blocks 6 Steals

GonzaGAW
11-23-2017, 11:16 PM
- win is a win, and this beat everyone's expectations as far as the spread goes.
- I'd like to see good defense from the tip, that is 2 games in a row when our opponent races out of the gate as if they are going to score 80 plus for the game.
- gotta d-up all game long tomorrow, florida looks very good.

cggonzaga
11-23-2017, 11:24 PM
I think it’s just really scary to think what this team will become as the year progresses. This team is nowhere near its potential right now and is very good now.

I would hope by now we could let the “guards aren’t good enough” stuff go. Perk and Melson are good, end of story. I was impressed by a couple of things tonight besides our guard and JWIII play. Kispert looked slow and not athletic in the first half. A bit of an eye opener for him as far as what kind of athletes are out there. However, he responded very well in the 2nd half. I’m on the Kispert is a stud train but he still has a ways to go. Good learning experience tonight. Tillie showed how he can affect a game even when it’s not there for him offensively. Tillie is another one that is only going to get better and better. Larsen, Rui and Norvell are still figuring things out but how promising are their games? All 3 are playing well while figuring out their roles on the team. Finally, Jeremy Jones is going to contribute all year. I felt he calmed things down in the first half and propelled our run. No matter what happens tomorrow I think really good things are in store for this team moving forward.

CDC84
11-24-2017, 01:19 AM
It has been mentioned by a couple of other posters, so I cannot take credit for it.....Josh Perkins has massively improved. Massively. First off, for the first time in his entire career, I can rest easy with him handling the basketball. Even last year with NWG running the point, I still felt scared when Josh had someone in his grill. But he clearly put a MASSIVE amount of effort into his ball handling skills this past offseason. He looks so much more confident as a player. I would imagine playing alongside Nigel last season and almost winning the national title game as a starting guard really elevated his mojo.

Zach Norvell is going to have to learn what a good shot is. Like many freshmen. It will come.

I mentioned it in the Florida thread, but Gonzaga must get Tillie involved in the offense. They didn't even look for him in the post tonight. He's too good of a player, and too good of a foul shooter to just ignore him. The Zags just can't rely on 3 balls and JWIII hook shots against teams like Florida, Duke, Nova, etc.

CDC84
11-24-2017, 03:41 AM
Kind of weird for Davich to say that he once spoke to Few about turning down the Indiana job and the chance to make a million and a half a year. According to USA Today, Mark makes $1,629,083 per season in base salary at GU:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

I realize he wasn't making that when IU had its opening, but it wasn't as though he was making $300,000 either.

Indiana, UCLA, Oregon and all the others were probably willing to pay at least 3x what he is making right now.

zagfan24
11-24-2017, 04:26 AM
http://i66.tinypic.com/5343te.jpg

Did he say this with a straight face?

jazzdelmar
11-24-2017, 04:37 AM
https://ibb.co/kCHS06

Dakich actually offered this anecdote twice during the telecast -- a professional no no --, as if still disbelieving what Few said. He's pathetic, and the whole announcing my son novelty took on a little more of a weird tone when he pointed out his son's "mom" in the stands. ESPN has bottomed out on class, as if......

FuManShoes
11-24-2017, 04:48 AM
https://ibb.co/kCHS06

He said a lot of dumb stuff with a straight face, including that Josh should stop jacking threes. Not only has Few told him to shoot more, but he's shooting at a 51% clip.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-24-2017, 04:51 AM
Great to see Perkins and JWIII leading the way. I really like what Zags bring in off the bench: Rui, Larsen, Norvell and Jones are all contributing and rising to the occasion for this squad. Maybe Wade gradually earns some meaningful minutes too. Our bench is a strength.

gueastcoast
11-24-2017, 05:37 AM
Dakich actually offered this anecdote twice during the telecast -- a professional no no --, as if still disbelieving what Few said. He's pathetic, and the whole announcing my son novelty took on a little more of a weird tone when he pointed out his son's "mom" in the stands. ESPN has bottomed out on class, as if......

My feelings on Dakich are well known, andI viewed last night's fiasco as simply confirmation. What a joke.

TexasZagFan
11-24-2017, 06:07 AM
My feelings on Dakich are well known, andI viewed last night's fiasco as simply confirmation. What a joke.

What the OSU fans were thinking over the last 25 minutes of the game. If you look closely, you'll find the entire Dakich clan watching in awe (they're in the group on the far right):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rUn15HojltI/T98XGxU-YJI/AAAAAAAAJSs/_AOnstatv6Y/s1600/ola-gigante.jpg

Dakich has rabbit ears...he specifically commented on "Zag fans whining about my lack of objectivity" or somesuch. I'll have to replay the game to pull out the exact quote. I had the volume turned down, so as not to wake up everybody at 1 AM local.

Goshzagit
11-24-2017, 06:38 AM
Woke up groggy today, yet this comment from OSU's best player was like drinking a shot of caffeine.

Officiating went against OSU, especially in the 1st half?! wow.

Tate said he thought the Buckeyes got rattled by a few early calls and couldn't recover.

"A couple of calls didn't go our way and it took away from our focus," he said.

At one point, "early on", the fouls were 9 to 3 in favor of Ohio St.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400986383

RenoZag
11-24-2017, 06:44 AM
Nice selection of articles in this mornings Spokesman-Review: http://www.spokesman.com/gonzaga-basketball/

bballbeachbum
11-24-2017, 07:04 AM
3-2 zone, another Zag D matchup look that worked
wow they kicked butt last night
now what, satisfied or hungrier post-feast? we'll see but looking good

glad I mute when watching usually unless it's the hometown crew or Raftery, sounds like a nightmare last night

bballbeachbum
11-24-2017, 07:07 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rUn15HojltI/T98XGxU-YJI/AAAAAAAAJSs/_AOnstatv6Y/s1600/ola-gigante.jpg

incredible pic!! did Dakich actually ##### out Zag fans during the game? :lmao:

JPtheBeasta
11-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Rui made his first three! Good job.I have comfirmed his shooting skill.

I agree that he has good technique on his shot. I think he is trying to focus on passing and being in the right spots on defense, but he could score a lot of points if the team needed him to.

billyberu
11-24-2017, 08:34 AM
What the OSU fans were thinking over the last 25 minutes of the game. If you look closely, you'll find the entire Dakich clan watching in awe (they're in the group on the far right):

Dakich has rabbit ears...he specifically commented on "Zag fans whining about my lack of objectivity" or somesuch. I'll have to replay the game to pull out the exact quote. I had the volume turned down, so as not to wake up everybody at 1 AM local.I heard it too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

JPtheBeasta
11-24-2017, 08:36 AM
Woke up groggy today, yet this comment from OSU's best player was like drinking a shot of caffeine.

Officiating went against OSU, especially in the 1st half?! wow.

At one point, "early on", the fouls were 9 to 3 in favor of Ohio St.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400986383

I think it was the same scenario early in the second half, as well. Maybe Tate's comments are just a guy looking for reason for why they were outplayed for 75% of the game. They started out shooting hot and cooled off (with help from the Zags defense.) You don't lose by 20+ because of a bad call or two- and if you do, your team needs more maturity.

They did miss a kick by Melson that led to a run-out. They missed calls going the other way, too. Tillie was the unfortunate recipient of a at least two of them. Wesson was throwing his body around down low and the refs finally got around to calling them towards the end, but the game was already in hand.

OSU doesn't seem to have enough offense to be successful against good offensive teams. They don't play Butler-like defense to make up for it. If they are looking for the refs to help them out they will have a long season.

JPtheBeasta
11-24-2017, 08:38 AM
I heard it too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

He should call a BYU home game or two...

This was nothing. The fans were upset by the lack of flagrant when Josh was fouled (I thought it was a good call to leave a common foul). But the fans were just being fans, in my opinion.

jim77
11-24-2017, 08:44 AM
- win is a win, and this beat everyone's expectations as far as the spread goes.
- I'd like to see good defense from the tip, that is 2 games in a row when our opponent races out of the gate as if they are going to score 80 plus for the game.
- gotta d-up all game long tomorrow, florida looks very good.

Just wanted to comment on the defense....Theres a lot of Div 1 teams who have no clue on how to beat the zone defense. I'd like to see us come out in ZONE against FLA. We could have gotten into big trouble with the fouls. BEAT FLA!

MDABE80
11-24-2017, 08:55 AM
1. Defense wins games and I hope this type of defense continues. Josh played among the best games he's had in a Zag uniform. Superior shooting from him.

titopoet
11-24-2017, 09:07 AM
It was not just the zone, but how they play the zone. Any questions about a drop off from last years elite D has been answered. This team has the ability to be as good a defensive unit as last years and some aspects better (full court press with Rui at the point will be a nightmare for teams). They are long, athletic, skilled and active with great communication in both man and zone defenses. I don't think we appreciate how good the starting backcourt duo of Perkins and Melson in their defense. They are as good as any in the country and probably the best defensive duo in the country.

DixieZag
11-24-2017, 09:24 AM
The Tate comment is almost sad it's so laughable. Game thread we noted that with 7:00 left, we were near the double bonus, and they had 3 fouls. We had guys on the bench that we'd surely have liked to have had in the rotation.

Our man defense coming out was a big concern, we gave up open looks and lay-ups. I think OSU shot 100% or so in the first 5 minutes. That's a concern, whether wecan play good man to man at this point. The zone more than made up for it by keeping OSU from scoring a field goal in 9:00 minutes, that's impressive.

We look completely lost without Josh out there. We are in real trouble if Josh is hurt or in foul trouble, or just run-down by the end of the year. Someone needs to find an inner PG in him and be able to rest Josh. Wade unlikely to be healthy enough throughout the year to do it.

We are SO good in transition.

Half court sets look a little like fast breaks in a half court set, something looks a little "off" in it. Maybe just don't have the timing, flow down yet.

If Josh can keep shooting above 45% we are going to win a lot of games, but I doubt he'll have near as many open looks tonight. He's going to have to get creative and use the pressure that's surely coming his way to find someone all alone. I like that he can find Kispert to shoot from deep. Melson, I still wonder about his shot selection.

Very nice win, I think the boys learned a lot. And they better have, b/c they are overmatched tonight. Not saying they can't win. But, right now, in a 10 game series, Florida likely wins 6-7. Our zone will likely appear rather quickly, hope the fouls are kept down. Going to really have to bring it tonight. But, it seems like this team is pretty hungry. It looked like they enjoyed winning.

AND MOST IMPORTANT - unlike much of last year, they did not give up the lead and let a team get back into it in the second half. They immediately extended the lead and really never let OSU think they could win.

sittingon50
11-24-2017, 09:52 AM
IIRC, at halftime the FTA's were OSU 12 & GU 1.

Curious as to what calls Mr. Tate is thinking of?

Reborn
11-24-2017, 10:03 AM
The Tate comment is almost sad it's so laughable. Game thread we noted that with 7:00 left, we were near the double bonus, and they had 3 fouls. We had guys on the bench that we'd surely have liked to have had in the rotation.

Our man defense coming out was a big concern, we gave up open looks and lay-ups. I think OSU shot 100% or so in the first 5 minutes. That's a concern, whether wecan play good man to man at this point. The zone more than made up for it by keeping OSU from scoring a field goal in 9:00 minutes, that's impressive.

We look completely lost without Josh out there. We are in real trouble if Josh is hurt or in foul trouble, or just run-down by the end of the year. Someone needs to find an inner PG in him and be able to rest Josh. Wade unlikely to be healthy enough throughout the year to do it.

We are SO good in transition.

Half court sets look a little like fast breaks in a half court set, something looks a little "off" in it. Maybe just don't have the timing, flow down yet.

If Josh can keep shooting above 45% we are going to win a lot of games, but I doubt he'll have near as many open looks tonight. He's going to have to get creative and use the pressure that's surely coming his way to find someone all alone. I like that he can find Kispert to shoot from deep. Melson, I still wonder about his shot selection.

Very nice win, I think the boys learned a lot. And they better have, b/c they are overmatched tonight. Not saying they can't win. But, right now, in a 10 game series, Florida likely wins 6-7. Our zone will likely appear rather quickly, hope the fouls are kept down. Going to really have to bring it tonight. But, it seems like this team is pretty hungry. It looked like they enjoyed winning.

AND MOST IMPORTANT - unlike much of last year, they did not give up the lead and let a team get back into it in the second half. They immediately extended the lead and really never let OSU think they could win.

I couldn't disagree more about the Zags being overmatched. They will have a tough time defending our post players. Florida's best post player is out, and he's a beast. Now if he were playing I'd be worried a little more than I am.

Go Zags111

CarolinaZagFan
11-24-2017, 10:30 AM
You guys can hate on Dakich if you want but it's looking like he's made me a little cash today. When I heard him talking about how bad Miami would beat Pitt I went ahead and put a couple hundred on Pitt. Thanks for not knowing sports!

cggonzaga
11-24-2017, 10:38 AM
I couldn't disagree more about the Zags being overmatched. They will have a tough time defending our post players. Florida's best post player is out, and he's a beast. Now if he were playing I'd be worried a little more than I am.

Go Zags111

I’d also strongly disagree Josh had “open” looks last night. He made some tough shots with a hand in his face.

DixieZag
11-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Go Zags111

I would love to be wrong.

dhozagfan08
11-24-2017, 10:54 AM

Go Zags111

He was only out for that game. Will be back tonight.

DixieZag
11-24-2017, 10:55 AM
I’d also strongly disagree Josh had “open” looks last night. He made some tough shots with a hand in his face.

He has a very quick release, he was able to make 2 or 3 by simply using the space they gave him to have the ball up and over that hand. I don't know that he'll have that space and/or whether Florida will do all they can to deny him the ball - that's all I meant. He DID hit tough shots, with a hand in his face, b/c they gave him some space, in that sense he was open.

I was the one saying he was hitting Wiltjer-type shots. I just worry they'll blanket cover him 8 ft out tonight.

willandi
11-24-2017, 10:58 AM
I would love to be wrong.

You are a married man.

GrizZAG
11-24-2017, 11:08 AM
There was a distinct difference in Dakich commentary after halftime. Suddenly he was commenting on how good the Zags looked, blah, blah, blah to the end. His comment pertaining to the only people watching this game were west coasters and people who were texting tells me either he got a heads up from somebody that complained about his insufferable blather about his son, family and Ohio State we were so annoyed by, or some smart staffer at ESPN spanked him a tad. Also enjoyed his comment about his son is "not that good but smart". He was no Bobby Knight on his analysis either for that matter. YUK!

cggonzaga
11-24-2017, 11:09 AM
He has a very quick release, he was able to make 2 or 3 by simply using the space they gave him to have the ball up and over that hand. I don't know that he'll have that space and/or whether Florida will do all they can to deny him the ball - that's all I meant. He DID hit tough shots, with a hand in his face, b/c they gave him some space, in that sense he was open.

I was the one saying he was hitting Wiltjer-type shots. I just worry they'll blanket cover him 8 ft out tonight.

I agree about how he’ll be defended tonight. This should leave us with some open guys. If Josh makes good decisions this could really play to our advantage. That and some others will have to hit open shots.

MDABE80
11-24-2017, 11:17 AM
They will..............easy shots will be at a premium tonight. Lots of shots last night were way out from NBA range with nobody in Josh's face. Still he did well. Our defense so far is much stingier than Fla's . I guess we'll see. Florida knows this is a very tough game for them. We should too. Our bigs will be challenged relentlessly. We rebound and defend well LD, we'll be ok. Still a close game.

bballbeachbum
11-24-2017, 01:04 PM
I don't think we appreciate how good the starting backcourt duo of Perkins and Melson in their defense. They are as good as any in the country and probably the best defensive duo in the country.

thanks for bringing this up. don't know where they rank but they have been doing it. good test tonight to battle, we'll see what happens and I'm psyched to watch these two, and all, battle it out!

Silas well loved for his D for some time, and Josh's D has been finding positive commentary here since at least last season by some. His focus on his D assignments last year was evident and effective, along with the group's, and he's followed that up with strong defensive efforts to start the season, along with Silas. hopefully that D partnership keeps growing and continues to develop right before our eyes

JPtheBeasta
11-24-2017, 01:20 PM
IIRC, at halftime the FTA's were OSU 12 & GU 1.

Curious as to what calls Mr. Tate is thinking of?

There was that one, that one time. Remember? They couldn’t help but be THE losing university after that.