PDA

View Full Version : PK80 Coaching Strategies / Surprises?

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Given how important this PK80 tourney is to Zags boosting their NCAA resume + the accompanying national exposure it would bring, I assume Coach Few and staff have some strategic moves, sets, lineups yet to be used this season. Things they intentionally haven’t used so opponents can’t get game tape to prep for it.

Do you agree? If so, what might these be? I’ll start:

- More fullcourt zone pressure with Rui at the top. We’ve seen glimpses but I’m thinking this is more of a weapon for this team coaches are holding back on showing too much.
- More minutes w Larsen and Williams playing together.
- Jesse Wade dropping bombs!!? (I highly doubt but wouldn’t it be cool?).

MDABE80
11-21-2017, 09:30 AM
After watching our guys for 3 games, if I was Few, I'd be pushing for some very effective defense. But yes it would be spectacular if Jesse could see the floor and drop some big bombs.

Reborn
11-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Um Concerning Jesse Wade I am surprised we haven't seen an updated medical report about his shoulder.

I like what I've seen so far. Keep doing what you've been doing. It's working. I did like the zone that Gonzaga played against Utah St in the second half. Good possibility we will see more zone because it seemed to work. Man to man defense is not easy to learn especially against the pick and roll.

raise the zag
11-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Um Concerning Jesse Wade I am surprised we haven't seen an updated medical report about his shoulder.

I like what I've seen so far. Keep doing what you've been doing. It's working. I did like the zone that Gonzaga played against Utah St in the second half. Good possibility we will see more zone because it seemed to work. Man to man defense is not easy to learn especially against the pick and roll.

from what I heard, about every 3rd or 4th practice, his shoulder sub-luxes. Very slight movement, even non contact at times.

It takes 24-48 hrs to "settle" down, then back to fully practicing and playing.

It will be hit or miss all season. A gamble until the medical staff decides to shut him down. His shoulder has never fully dislocated, just moving around on him.

He will practice and/or play when his shoulder is in a good stretch of stability, and will not when it moves on him or during this "settling" period.

DixieZag
11-21-2017, 05:05 PM
I really like the idea of using some of our depth to full court press for significant stretches, really test a team and leave them less time on the other end. Put Rui, Tillie, Melson, Jones and Perkins out there and it could be a nightmare press. Obviously other combos could work as well, and score.

FuManShoes
11-21-2017, 06:57 PM
I think this is the week Few works NWG and Zack back into the rotation. Its been pretty nifty how hes hidden them thus far.

raise the zag
11-21-2017, 07:02 PM
I think this is the week Few works NWG and Zach back into the rotation. It’s been pretty nifty how he’s hidden them thus far.

:lmao:

Well played.

Could you imagine? Even just one of those guys...would jump us 10+ spots in the rankings.

TexasZagFan
11-22-2017, 02:42 AM
I think this is the week Few works NWG and Zack back into the rotation. It’s been pretty nifty how he’s hidden them thus far.

As opposed to Zach being hidden away in Portland...

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-22-2017, 05:04 AM
When I coached middle-school basketball, we always practiced a new wrinkle (usually defensively) before our end of season conference tournament so we could give our opponents something they hadn’t seen before. It always worked; worked best when we waited until 2nd half of the game to show it so they couldn’t coach up a counter measure during halftime.

Where are the x’s and o’s Board members? I thought this thread would generate some interesting posts re: specific coaching moves Zags may have up their sleeve for PK80 and/or moves you would make if you were coaching this team.