PDA

View Full Version : Rui says he may be 205-6cm(about 6'9) w/o shoes in Japanese TV.

Skimhvn
11-21-2017, 08:36 AM
https://youtu.be/bbKgOHAXG2Y

He says he haven't recently measured his height,but might be about 205cm(almost 6'9) now. I guess he is saying about height w/o shoes coz barefoot height is Japanese standard, and he is talking with Japanse reporter.

Also he says when he came to US he didn't know English at all, so Few's 14-15 years son took him to shopping.

Rui's handwriting is awful as a Japanese lol.

Sorry for posting a boring thread.

Zagceo
11-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Thanks for posting.....keep it up...

Kiddwell
11-21-2017, 09:29 AM
At 6-9, he'd be another "big" for the team. Keep growing, Rui. He's really showing value this year. By next year or senior year he could be on one or more of the post-season AA lists.

:]

TexasZagFan
11-21-2017, 09:42 AM
At 6-9, he'd be another "big" for the team. Keep growing, Rui. He's really showing value this year. By next year or senior year he could be on one or more of the post-season AA lists.

:]

I don't see him making any AA lists next year, because he'll be in the NBA.

Hope I'm wrong, but the NBA drafts on potential, and there's at least several team owners that would love to make a splash in Japan.

raise the zag
11-21-2017, 09:54 AM
I don't see him making any AA lists next year, because he'll be in the NBA.

Hope I'm wrong, but the NBA drafts on potential, and there's at least several team owners that would love to make a splash in Japan.

this.

they see the earning potential along with the playing potential of Rui. Just look at UCLA playing in China, or NFL playing in Mexico City this past week. It sells.

I don't think Rui necessarily wants to go...yet. He is very sheepish off the court, and seems to enjoy his time in College.

Rui ain't 6'9". Maybe WITH shoes. Just look at him next to Tillie (6'10"), he's clearly shorter than him, and at least a few inches shorter than Larsen.

Matter of fact, Kispert was nearly eye to eye with Rui on the court too.

Either way, Rui would likely be a 1st Rd pick if he declared this year, yet I don't think he will...

Zags_Fanatic
11-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Can you translate what he says when she brings up NBA Draft Projections at 1:35?

Skimhvn
11-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Can you translate what he says when she brings up NBA Draft Projections at 1:35?

"I'm glad about that, I'm doing what to do now, so I think I'm getting close to NBA",
but he doesn't seem to be concerned about NBA draft ranking so much. Japanese sports media is trash, they always make hype about anything.

TexasZagFan
11-21-2017, 10:08 AM
"I'm glad about that, I'm doing what to do now, so I think I'm getting close to NBA",
but he doesn't seem to be concerned about NBA draft ranking so muck. Japanese sports media is trash, they always make hype about anything.

Keep posting friend, our English ain't so hot either. :lmao:

TexasZagFan
11-21-2017, 10:10 AM
this.

they see the earning potential along with the playing potential of Rui. Just look at UCLA playing in China, or NFL playing in Mexico City this past week. It sells.

I don't think Rui necessarily wants to go...yet. He is very sheepish off the court, and seems to enjoy his time in College.

Rui ain't 6'9". Maybe WITH shoes. Just look at him next to Tillie (6'10"), he's clearly shorter than him, and at least a few inches shorter than Larsen.

Matter of fact, Kispert was nearly eye to eye with Rui on the court too.

Either way, Rui would likely be a 1st Rd pick if he declared this year, yet I don't think he will...

Rui had a smile on his face when I saw him riding his bike around campus last summer.

Skimhvn
11-21-2017, 10:35 AM
I don't think it's too late for Rui to play in Zags for 4years and graduate.
I think he surely has a NBA potential physical, but he should be a solid player in Zags before entering NBA as a raw player.

zag buddy
11-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Speaking of height, Jeremy Jones looks as tall as Tillie to me.

MDABE80
11-21-2017, 01:16 PM
I don't think it's too late for Rui to play in Zags for 4years and graduate.
I think he surely has a NBA potential physical, but he should be a solid player in Zags before enterning NBA as a raw player.

VERY smart post. Thanks for posting.

DixieZag
11-21-2017, 04:59 PM
There is no way Rui is 6'9 - as said, look at him standing next to teamates. I don't know what he really is, but if someone asked me to bet and made the parameters 6'6 to 6'9, I'd say "closer" to 6'6. But, hey, exaggerating to the media shows he's learning American ball and English quite well.

I am so glad to hear he enjoys GU (what a challenge to a young man!). I don't know much about the NBA, perhaps they do even more player development. But, he'd sure get a lot here. It's fun to think, if/when he goes to the NBA, he doesn't even need to be a huge success in the NBA to make more money (counting everything) than any Zag BB player post-Stockton.

SWZag
11-21-2017, 05:19 PM
Skimhvn, thanks for posting!! Your English is great!!

As there aren't too many Japanese basketball players in the college or professional levels in the US, is there a lot of attention on Rui? Is he a big topic in Japanese sports talk? Is he a celebrity in a way? I know when Ichiro played for the Seattle Mariners in baseball, he had a big following wherever he went and I believe a major icon back in Japan. Is there a bit of the same for Rui? I'm sure Rui's success will greatly increase in interest in basketball in Japan.

Again, thanks for posting! Your insight is always welcome!!

Skimhvn
11-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Firstly, there aren't many basketball fans in Japan, but certain number of people love basketball.
Playing basketball is popular in young people, but most of Japanese don't seem to be interested to Watch basketball.
I guess 50% of Japanese don't even know the rules.
Japan national team is too weak, that may be a reason about that.

I realized Gonzaga is in Washington State as same as Marriners!
Ichiro is a absolute superstar in Japan, and CURRENT Rui is not famous compared to Ichiro at all, but many basketball fans knows Rui.

I'm sure Rui's success will greatly increase in interest in basketball in Japan.
As you said, if Rui makes a success, I guess it will make Japanese people intrested in basketball.

In addition, another Japanese D1 player is popular among basketball fans, he is Yuta Watanabe, George Washington senior.(have you heard about him?).
He is also our basketball hope as same as Rui.
Rui is half blacked Japanese, so some Japanese always ask "Is he Japanese? "lol, but Yuta is pure asian, so Yuta's success is more important for such people.

DixieZag
11-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Firstly, there aren't many basketball fans in Japan, but certain number of people love basketball.
Playing basketball is popular in young people, but most of Japanese don't seem to be interested to Watch basketball.

Ichiro is a absolute superstar in Japan, and CURRENT Rui is not famous compared to Ichiro at all, but many basketball fans knows Rui.

As you said, if Rui makes a success, I guess it will make Japanese people intrested in basketball.

In addition, another Japanese D1 player is popular among basketball fans, he is Yuta Watanabe, George Washington senior.(have you heard about him?).
Rui is half blacked Japanese, so some Japanese always ask "Is he Japanese? "lol, but Yuta is pure asian, so Yuta's success is more important for such people.

We are lucky to have you as a member to comment. We would have almost no other way to hear the Japanese view of Rui.

Bogozags
11-22-2017, 06:13 AM

Thank you so very much for finding this site and for your knowledgable posts! Rui sure seems to be enjoying himself being as GU player and student. I really like what he brings to the court and I know he will get better each game that he gets meaningful minutes. Have not heard about Watanabe but will check out GWU...

Again, WELCOME and THANKS!

mgadfly
11-22-2017, 06:45 AM
I'm with Rui on his height. One of the team pictures from last year has him standing between Jones and Tillie and he is obviously taller than Jones. Tillie is maybe an inch taller. Williams looks shorter than Rui.

However, I'd need them all to come stand back to back in order for me to make a definitive call (other than Jones, who isn't close to the other three).

Baldwinzag
11-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Speculating on height for NCAA or NBA bball players is pointless.

Nowadays, they should just list ranges. Say, b/w 6'6"-6'9" depending on shoes, posture, and who is measuring.

My favorite is when players shrink 2" during the Combine.

Sound Voltex
11-22-2017, 08:28 PM

I would think with popular Japanese manga like Kuroko no Basket and Slam Dunk would maybe spark some curiosity to look past high school basketball, like with baseball and soccer, but I guess it just doesn't go beyond that for some reason. Maybe someone needs to make the next Kuroko no Basket except with the NBA or college basketball lol. I've watched some Japanese high school basketball games online, and their cheering squads (ouendan) are legit.

Don't want to deter the thread away from Hachimura as a Portland fan here, but don't forget Portland's Tahirou Diabate, who is also 6'9.... and while he technically doesn't have any Japanese blood, he did go through the Japan high school system and actually went face to face with Hachimura once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfkZw2Xr2Hg

Compared to Hachimura and Watanabe, I've hardly seen any mentions of Diabate in the Japanese media besides this video (and this was long before he was recruited):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7rN3iFBSl0

I guess it's because he's still a freshman and didn't get much recruiting hype, but I hope he also can share some of the spotlight with Hachimura considering he's going to face him at least twice this season (and the seasons to come)...and both are going to playing at PK80 tomorrow!

Overall I'm really excited to see the Japanese media get more involved with American college basketball. お楽しみです!

Skimhvn
11-22-2017, 11:34 PM
Thank for your replies, too!

Hi, Portland fan, of course I know Tahirou in Portland.
I heard he said "I wanna play against Hachimura in college", and I wanna see their match-up soon.

CDC84
11-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Seems 6-8 to me. No way 6-6.

In some ways the height is a non-issue with him because his wingspan is so large. A big wingspan is the great equalizer. Scouts know that. And then when you attach that with Rui's athleticism.....that is why the scouts are looking at him.