PDA

View Full Version : Dec 10th We Will Have a Good Idea of What This Team is Made Of

zagsfanforlife
11-20-2017, 08:38 PM
Wowwweeee, this non-conference schedule is looking to be LOADED with a capital L.

FLORIDA AP #9
VILLANOVA- Kenpom # 1
DUKE (possible)- AP #1
CREIGHTON- Will be top 20 at least by the time we play them; one of the most buzzed about teams currently in the nation

Duke, Nova and Creighton are three teams being talked about as some of the best teams in the nation. We get them all before December 10th.

I really think this team has the goods to make a run again this year, but the next two weeks will tell us a lot about where we stand and how much we have to grow. All of those teams listed above are legit title contenders.

ZagDad84
11-20-2017, 08:51 PM
Maybe.

To play Florida (assuming they win) you have to get by OSU first. To play Duke then you have to get by Florida (assuming they win).

Villanove and Creighton are locks and if you are very optimistic, then Florida and Duke are locks as well.

If we make the opportunity, there will no complaints about our OOC schedule this year.

ZagDad

cggonzaga
11-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Creighton is very small and streaky from outside. If they get hot it could be interesting. We will kill them in the paint.

MDABE80
11-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Creighton's 2 lead guards are both 6 ft 3 in and 210 lbs. One scored 19 ppg and the other is 17 ppg.
Bigs are 6 9 , 6 10 and 2 6 11's.
Jays play either 4 guards and a power forward or 3 and 2 bigs. They run and are 4-0 with major wins over NW at NW and UCLA on a neutral site.
They seem better than predicted.
Nova is no 1 Ken Pom while Duke is no 1 AP.
Florida is a no 8, bouncy and quick.

I don't know how these 4 games will work out but we're in for a tussle with each. If we win 2, this will be amazingly good. OSU will be tough enough. We have our work cut out for us.

cggonzaga
11-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Creighton's 2 lead guards are both 6 ft 3 in and 210 lbs. One scored 19 ppg and the other is 17 ppg.
Bigs are 6 9 , 6 10 and 2 6 11's.
Jays play either 4 guards and a power forward or 3 and 2 bigs. They run and are 4-0 with major wins over NW at NW and UCLA on a neutral site.
They seem better than predicted.
Nova is no 1 Ken Pom while Duke is no 1 AP.
Florida is a no 8, bouncy and quick.

I don't know how these 4 games will work out but we're in for a tussle with each. If we win 2, this will be amazingly good. OSU will be tough enough. We have our work cut out for us.

6’9” krampelj is solid but not spectacular. 6’10s Hegner and Suarez are very average to below average. Creighton is very much guard oriented. NW win was good, UCLA just isn’t that good right now.

DixieZag
11-21-2017, 02:44 AM
Right now, after the sort of listless play against Utah State, especially the defensive lapses, that schedule scares me. I would dial in a 2-2 and run right now if given the option.

Reborn
11-21-2017, 05:52 AM
Right now, after the sort of listless play against Utah State, especially the defensive lapses, that schedule scares me. I would dial in a 2-2 and run right now if given the option.

Don't be afraid brother. I believe their fans are afraid of us as much as you are of them. These are going to be great games for all basketball fans. It's a great tournament. The other games mentioned will be great for basketball and for the teams as well. The players really look forward to playing in these kinds of games. The Zags played defense in the 2nd half, allowing Utah St to only score 24 points. They did play a good 1-2-2 or match-up zone.

thebigsmoove
11-21-2017, 05:55 AM
I have my doubts that we can make it past Florida, but we should still get either Butler or Texas in the next game even if we miss out on that matchup with Duke. We will likely not beat Villanova, but Creighton certainly seems like a good matchup. I chalked up 2 losses in this part of the schedule, so its not out of the realm of possibility to still walk away with at least 1 top 25 win before we face Saint Marys later this season.

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2017, 06:31 AM
Florida barely beat New Hampshire the other night, they've now become severely over rated like their fb team used to be.

TexasZagFan
11-21-2017, 06:39 AM
Florida barely beat New Hampshire the other night, they've now become severely over rated like their fb team used to be.

I caught that score last night, too. The Zags are
10-3 in the last three NCAA tournaments, and rightly fear NO ONE. No, we won't win every game, but we won't be intimidated by anyone.

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2017, 06:41 AM
I caught that score last night, too. The Zags are
10-3 in the last three NCAA tournaments, and rightly fear NO ONE. No, we won't win every game, but we won't be intimidated by anyone.

100% correct

WallaWallaZag
11-21-2017, 07:01 AM

this doesn't really mean much at all...anyone can point to the utah state game and say the same thing about the zags.

without egbunu, zags have better bigs than florida...florida has more guard experience and depth, with two excellent transfers to go with returning upperclassmen allen and chiozza.

MileHigh
11-21-2017, 07:05 AM
I would like to see the rotations solidified a bit at this point. If few is like most coaches he likely subscribes to the "play 9 trust 8" philosophy or a variation of it. Personally, I like tight rotations with 8 guys getting meaningful minutes. This is how I think they should target the distribution of minutes going into this next stretch of games. There are 200 available minutes in a game

Tillie 30
JW3 30
Perkins 30
Melson 30
Kispert 25
Rui 23
Norvell 20
Larson 12

Obviously foul trouble, injuries, and simply playing bad can decrease (or increase) minutes on a game to game basis, but that is the rotation I would like to see in tightly contested games. When they have a comfortable lead they can look to get minutes for the the other freshman (Wade) and Jones.

raise the zag
11-21-2017, 07:11 AM

And the Zags barely beat Utah St, who lost to Portland St last night, and Weber St before that...

USU was leading for much of our game, and tied with 10:30 remaining.

Same difference.

WallaWallaZag
11-21-2017, 07:11 AM
I would like to see the rotations solidified a bit at this point. If few is like most coaches he likely subscribes to the "play 9 trust 8" philosophy or a variation of it. Personally, I like tight rotations with 8 guys getting meaningful minutes. This is how I think they should target the distribution of minutes going into this next stretch of games. There are 200 available minutes in a game

Tillie 30
JW3 30
Perkins 30
Melson 30
Kispert 25
Rui 23
Norvell 20
Larson 12

Obviously foul trouble, injuries, and simply playing bad can decrease (or increase) minutes on a game to game basis, but that is the rotation I would like to see in tightly contested games. When they have a comfortable lead they can look to get minutes for the the other freshman (Wade) and Jones.

pretty reasonable breakdown, though i might bump kispert closer to 30...and if melson isn't scoring might need to see more of norvell if zags are struggling to score.

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2017, 07:24 AM
And the Zags barely beat Utah St, who lost to Portland St last night, and Weber St before that...

Same difference.

In what world is beating your opponent by 13 "barely" beating them? lol

Florida beat UNH 70-63. Bad, bad attempt at rationalizing. Bad attempt.

MontanaCoyote
11-21-2017, 07:36 AM
There's losing, then there's Losing. I'm hoping for several wins but the one thing I don't want to see is a blowout by one of these highly rated teams. If and when we lose, let it be a tight competitive game which "could have gone either way."

I'm even thinking we could (possibly) even rise in the polls with a loss if it's a highly competitive loss against the right opponent at the right time.

No doubt, though, that we'll learn a lot about our team and have a better idea for how well they're likely to do as they develop and mature on down the road.

strikenowhere
11-21-2017, 07:46 AM
If the Zags go 0-4 or 1-3 against these opponents (assuming the pk80 brackets play out) I would start to be concerned about the postseason. These are the games where they need to make a mark. If they don't pick up at least 2 wins here the Zags are left relying on St. Mary's for quality wins or on winning the WCC tournament.

Zagceo
11-21-2017, 07:49 AM

Same difference.

really

Utah st held the lead for 12 min Zags 24

...Zags up 20 with 5 left in game

TexasZagFan
11-21-2017, 08:00 AM

Same difference.

IIRC, we were up by 20 with 4 minutes to go, and the focus was on eating the clock up. After a 17-0 run, USU hit two more threes.

cggonzaga
11-21-2017, 08:24 AM
IIRC, we were up by 20 with 4 minutes to go, and the focus was on eating the clock up. After a 17-0 run, USU hit two more threes.

GU had only give up 16 points in the 2nd half with like 3min to go.

WallaWallaZag
11-21-2017, 08:34 AM
GU had only give up 16 points in the 2nd half with like 3min to go.

good grief...i can't believe how many people feel like they need to defend how the zags played against utah state, which wasn't great for the most part outside of a 5 minute stretch. the outside world doesn't really care about the details, they'll maybe look at halftime score / final score and then hey utah state lost the next game against portland state, and draw whatever conclusions they want, which may or may not be accurate...no one really knows yet.

just like zag fans pointing to florida struggling against new hampshire...doesn't really tell us anything other than florida had a bad game against an inferior opponent. happens to almost all teams at some point or another, especially after a couple huge blowouts and with the pk80 tournament around the corner. there's really no significance to the degree with which zags struggled with utah state vs. how much florida struggled with new hampshire...it's pointless to try and compare the two results and draw any meaningful conclusions other than neither team played great and both were possibly looking ahead.

Zagceo
11-21-2017, 09:12 AM
good grief...i can't believe how many people feel like they need to defend how the zags played against utah state, which wasn't great for the most part outside of a 5 minute stretch. the outside world doesn't really care about the details, they'll maybe look at halftime score / final score and then hey utah state lost the next game against portland state, and draw whatever conclusions they want, which may or may not be accurate...no one really knows yet.

just like zag fans pointing to florida struggling against new hampshire...doesn't really tell us anything other than florida had a bad game against an inferior opponent. happens to almost all teams at some point or another, especially after a couple huge blowouts and with the pk80 tournament around the corner. there's really no significance to the degree with which zags struggled with utah state vs. how much florida struggled with new hampshire...it's pointless to try and compare the two results and draw any meaningful conclusions other than neither team played great and both were possibly looking ahead.

good grief...i can't believe how many people feel like they need to attack how the zags played against utah state.....considering "no one really knows yet" :D

raise the zag
11-21-2017, 10:03 AM
good grief...i can't believe how many people feel like they need to attack how the zags played against utah state.....considering "no one really knows yet" :D

attack?

Please.

Pointed out the fact good teams can struggle to pull out wins, especially this time of year.

Florida beat a lessor opponent by 7. Zags beat an inferior opponent by 13.

Do they deserve kudos for style points? No. Neither team does. W or L. Both survived and advanced, and that was the point.

Florida, nor Gonzaga sucks because they closed out a bad team late. Nothing more, nothing less

WallaWallaZag
11-21-2017, 10:11 AM

don't see anyone actually attacking how the zags played...some disappointment and worrying is all i see...but people are definitely very defensive about any perceived slights

and the "considering no one knows yet" is referring to the true talent level...has nothing to do with performance on a game by game basis.

cggonzaga
11-21-2017, 11:47 AM

Ummmm, what just happened? I just stated a fact. Wasn’t defending the way we played.

MDABE80
11-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Ok back on track.
These 5 games will determine how much the team has grown....and whether we're weak or not. All fraught with serious danger. We could lose all of them...FYI. Does anyone think we will win ALL of them? I don't but all I really want is a strong showing. I want defense. I want zero turnovers.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Ok back on track.
These 5 games will determine how much the team has grown....and whether we're weak or not. All fraught with serious danger. We could lose all of them...FYI. Does anyone think we will win ALL of them? I don't but all I really want is a strong showing. I want defense. I want zero turnovers.

I’ll be thrilled if Zags beat Ohio State and Florida; win 1 of Duke (likely opponent) or Villanova, and beat Creighton and SDSU. I don’t ask for much, just near perfection in this gauntlet of games!

MDABE80
11-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Plan on losing to Duke and Nova. We could win the others. 5 very tough outs coming up. The author of this thread had it perfectly correct. Hang onto you hats guys. Troubled waters ahead.

cggonzaga
11-21-2017, 12:37 PM
I don’t ever plan on losing to anybody. Gonzaga is on par with any program in the country.

MDABE80
11-21-2017, 01:11 PM
The program might be on par but this team is not when it purports to be on par with Duke or Nova. This team may be toward the end of the season..but not now. Silly comment.

Kong-Kool-Aid
11-21-2017, 01:28 PM
The program might be on par but this team is not when it purports to be on par with Duke or Nova. This team may be toward the end of the season..but not now. Silly comment.

That's why they play the games Debbie.

allbusiness_zag
11-21-2017, 01:56 PM
That's why they play the games Debbie.

Agreed here. Silly comment, Debbie.

MDABE80
11-21-2017, 01:56 PM
We love our V's but the TRUTH is that at this point in the season, we're simply not ready to win games with the No1's ie Duke and Nova. Would it be the case. We play these games to win and I hope we do. SOrry if the truth is bothersome. We do have a chance with the other three. I AM "Honest Abe" from the COG;)