PDA

View Full Version : GREAT EXPECTATIONS thread. Please answer these 3 things for me.

gozagswoohoo
11-20-2017, 07:44 AM
1) ONE THING YOU HADN'T EXPECTED- I was not expecting Kispert to be quite THIS good. I thought he would have a small but decent impact on this team (similar to Melson's early impact with us in his first season). But I wasn't expecting Kispert to be anywhere near what he is now, and to have this much of an immediate impact (Also didn't expect him to be starting either!)

2) ONE THING YOU TOTALLY EXPECTED- I totally expected Tillie to be playing this good. I never had any doubt.

3) ONE THING YOU HOPE/EXPECT TO SEE SOON- JWIII to dominate. I was expecting him to be a near unstoppable force on both ends of the floor. I'm expecting him to get to that point, and I think/hope he'll elevate his level of play as our competition starts to get better. We'll see.

slickguser
11-20-2017, 07:49 AM
1. Contribution from Jones

2. Kispert becoming a star

3. I really want Norvell to earn more minutes by playing better defense. I want to see him get in a scoring rhythm.

gozagswoohoo
11-20-2017, 07:51 AM
1. Contribution from Jones

I think Jones is doing a great job with his minutes. Aside from just one or two defensive lapses, I think Jones has played EXCELLENT. I'm hoping to see more of him soon. I think he's on his way to earning a few more minutes.

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
11-20-2017, 07:52 AM
1) Larsen is much further along than I thought he'd be. Very excited about his development.
2)Tillie
3)Wade becoming an impact player.

MTZag03
11-20-2017, 07:52 AM
1. I also didn't expect Krispert to be where he is
2. I was expecting good play from Larsen. I'm surprised so many people didn't expect him to contribute.
3. I hope Hachimura lives up to his potential. He's doing well, but I want him to take over a game or two.

WallaWallaZag
11-20-2017, 08:01 AM
1) didn't expect jw3 to be struggling to start his senior year...really thought he would dominate, especially playing against inferior competition

2) perkins to shoot well from perimeter...but also finish poorly at the rim

3a) hope: melson to have a huge game where he goes off for 20+ against a good opponent and with the confidence gained becomes more consistent offensively
3b) expect: rui to get more and more comfortable in the zag system and start knocking down some shots besides layups and dunks

gonzagafan62
11-20-2017, 08:20 AM
1. Did not expect : I think you nailed this one. Kispert is good, like EXTREMELY good. As a true frosh I hadn't expected him to hit shots from the parking lot already. If he sticks around he's going to be a legend.

2. Totally expected: Athleticism of this team. Nearly everyone has a flashy dunk already and some parking lot threes. Flashiest Zags team in some time. That can come back to haunt us in some games but it'll be fun to watch regardless.

3. Hope to see soon: More consistent play form the 5. JW3 has been fine, but he hasn't been that difference maker everyone thought he was going to be. If he starts getting going I think we will be just fine. I also wanna see Wade become productive especially if he isn't red shirting. I'd like to see him play meaningful minutes (without one of our guys being injured)

gozagswoohoo
11-20-2017, 08:23 AM
3. Hope to see soon: More consistent play form the 5. JW3 has been fine, but he hasn't been that difference maker everyone thought he was going to be. If he starts getting going I think we will be just fine. I also wanna see Wade become productive especially if he isn't red shirting. I'd like to see him play meaningful minutes (without one of our guys being injured)

yes yes yes. Totally agree with you and IMADEYOUREADTHIS. I was so excited about Wade. You know he's got the ability to score, and I think he's got the ability to be an impact player for us, but can he earn some more minutes?? That's the key. There aren't a ton of minutes to go around!

Reborn
11-20-2017, 08:44 AM
1) ONE THING YOU HADN'T EXPECTED- I was not expecting Kispert to be quite THIS good. I thought he would have a small but decent impact on this team (similar to Melson's early impact with us in his first season). But I wasn't expecting Kispert to be anywhere near what he is now, and to have this much of an immediate impact (Also didn't expect him to be starting either!)

2) ONE THING YOU TOTALLY EXPECTED- I totally expected Tillie to be playing this good. I never had any doubt.

3) ONE THING YOU HOPE/EXPECT TO SEE SOON- JWIII to dominate. I was expecting him to be a near unstoppable force on both ends of the floor. I'm expecting him to get to that point, and I think/hope he'll elevate his level of play as our competition starts to get better. We'll see.

A great thread as we head toward PK80 in Portland. I wasn't expecting the Zags to play as well as they have so far. IMO they are way ahead of where I figured they'd be on both offense and defense.

I was expecting the tam to win because Gonzaga has great coaches. I was expecting the team to play pretty good defense. I was also expecting that the Zags would have really good Ninja shooters from beyond the 3 point mark. I also thought that Larsen would be good. I liked the videos I've watched.

Gonzaga beating Duke in the Finals of the PK80. 3b. JW3 playing great in PK80. He rises to the top when he's playing against the best teams.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-20-2017, 08:51 AM
1) Hadn’t Expected: Tillie to be the best player and high scorer for this team.
2) Totally Expected: Melson to play the best ball of his Zag career and become a consisten scorer.
3) Hope To See Soon: JWIII have 20+ pts and 10+ rbds in a game and become a dominant force night in and night out.

kitzbuel
11-20-2017, 09:58 AM
1) ONE THING YOU HADN'T EXPECTED-
Kispert being a starter from the get go. I thought he had a shot a starting later, but not from his first game as a frosh.

2) ONE THING YOU TOTALLY EXPECTED-
Jones playing time. I really saw him competing with Rui for minutes last season and thought he would continue to insert himself this season.

3) ONE THING YOU HOPE/EXPECT TO SEE SOON-
Wade getting going. We need two PGs, Few's style relies on that so much.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

FlyZag
11-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Did not expect: Larsen to be as good & athletic as he is.

Totally expected: To be better than the "outsiders" projected us to be, given our loss of talent from last years team. Still not as good as last year obviously... but better than people thought.

Hope to see: Hope to see continued hustle and effort. That scrappy play is what make the zags the ZAGS. Out hustle, out fight, out rebound for every ball. play solid defense. If we play with heart and passion, the rest will take care of itself.

Skimhvn
11-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Hi,I'm a Japanese fan of Zags for Rui.Hope for more zags' progress this year.

1)Larsen is excellent. He is very smart and athletic more than I expected.
Tillie's rebound and defense will help center.

2)Perkins is good to be top scorer and leader.

3)I'm looking forward to Rui's jumper. The best thing he has is jumper, and he should make three pointer as his main scoring tool. Zags restricting his jumper? I can understand that enough,but I wanna see his first three pointer soon.

gozagswoohoo
11-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Hi,I'm a Japanese fan of Zags for Rui.Hope for more zags' progress this year.

1)Larsen is excellent. He is very smart and athletic more than I expected.
Tillie's rebound and defense will help center.

2)Perkins is good to be top scorer and leader.

3)I'm looking forward to Rui's jumper. The best thing he has is jumper, and he should make three pointer as his main scoring tool. Zags restricting his jumper? I can understand that enough,but I wanna see his first three pointer soon.

Excellent. WELCOME! Thank you for your input.

Goshzagit
11-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Welcome.

Rui has a fantastic jump shot. He's shown it in every tournament he's played in, and also during FIBA last Summer. Has a great jump shot from all over the floor.

I have a feeling the staff is developing him into a complete player, as in learning to pass the ball and work within an organized offense. They know he can shoot, now do the other things to help the team win, and becoming a better all-around player.

Also, Rui is rarely in the right spot on the floor to CREATE a jump shot, or receive open space.

In the FIBA tourney, Rui literally just shot OVER opponents, and most of them went in. He can do that, yet now his jump shot must come within the frame of the offense.

He has come a long way but still has a long way to go.

I have a feeling Rui will come on stronger than ever over the course of December. Just a hunch.

He has a green light on the floor, and for shooting, yet his current attempts have mostly been random chucks, yet when he finds his role on the floor and runs the right play, he will be unstoppable, imho.

Just a matter of time....

Skimhvn
11-20-2017, 12:05 PM
Thank you for your replies and welcoming.Glad to post on this board.

I think Rui should has high BBIQ, but he is just considering too much where to be in Zags difficult systems. He was never in wrong place in high school so much.
Hoping his English will be perfect and understand the systems well.

gozagswoohoo
11-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Thank you for your replies and welcoming.Glad to post on this board.

I think Rui should has high BBIQ, but he is just considering where to be in Zags difficult systems. He was never in wrong place in high school so much.
Hoping his English will be perfect and understand the systems well.

あなたが運動として、ルイは高小学生としていたとして良いときに、あなたは正しいですが、彼は高校の試合で 間違った場所にすることができませんでした!

そしてもう一度、歓迎!

Skimhvn
11-20-2017, 01:12 PM

そしてもう一度、歓迎!

Cool:clap:

sittingon50
11-20-2017, 01:16 PM

そしてもう一度、歓迎!

Hope you just didn't cause an International Incident there, WooHoo!!

gozagswoohoo
11-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Hope you just didn't cause an International Incident there, WooHoo!!

I took Japanese in Elementary school. It's quite a simple language.

Also, I am a huge liar and I used 'the internets' to complete that translation. :roll:

gonzagafan62
11-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Tell us What it said haha

kitzbuel
11-20-2017, 01:57 PM
I took Japanese in Elementary school. It's quite a simple language.

Also, I am a huge liar and I used 'the internets' to complete that translation. :roll:

Why did you talk about Skimhvn's goat like that?

DixieZag
11-20-2017, 03:33 PM

そしてもう一度、歓迎!

Why do you say Few needs to pull his head out of his ..... j/k

1. Didn't expect Wade to be a non-factor, whether by injury, size or just play.

2. Totally expected Tillie to blow-up.

3. I expect to see the return of JWIII, monster of the rim, glaring down opponents and not getting whistled for touching a guy's jersey.

RenoZag
11-20-2017, 03:34 PM
1) ONE THING YOU HADN'T EXPECTED- Larsen's grit, competitiveness, nice touch at the FT line. I think he'll be a key contributor all season. Praying he stays healthy.

2) ONE THING YOU TOTALLY EXPECTED- That Wade wasn't going to magically leap into the primary rotation after two years out of organized hoops. All of the hype about him being the second coming of Kevin Pangos was a lot of wishful thinking.

3) ONE THING YOU HOPE TO SEE SOON- More playing time from Jones and Norvell, Jr.

buenaparkzag
11-20-2017, 04:18 PM
1. Starting Kispert over Zach Norvell
2. Jacob Larsen's contributions so far
3. Zach Norvelle take over at clutch time

tyra
11-20-2017, 06:59 PM
1) Larsen’s quality of play OR how good general spacing and ball sharing is.

2) Tillie (in fact, I called it on the Board).

3) Clearer floor leadership from someone (and I think my preference is Silas).

thespywhozaggedme
11-20-2017, 07:52 PM
1. JWIII to still have his granny at the carnival push shot free throw form. He rectified it in our MM run, but it's returned with a vengeance.

2. Larsen to be a stud. He's a more fit, more athletic Karno.

3. Norvelle to be the second leading scorer on the team for the season. He's Gary Bell, but better.

BULLDOG#1
11-20-2017, 08:07 PM
He's Gary Bell, but better.

Oh, come on.

DixieZag
11-21-2017, 02:48 AM
. He's Gary Bell, but better.

You actually said that?

3 games, but you've got him above one of Few's all-time favorite players for busting himself every time on the floor.

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2017, 06:22 AM
Oh, come on.

Both are not the most athletic, but ZN has much more pg skills and ability to drive to the rack than GB did. He's a 6'5 combo guard, that's very rare. I expect him to average 16 ppg or better next year as the starting sg. I think he's got a chance of being an NBA player for a long time.

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2017, 06:23 AM
You actually said that?

3 games, but you've got him above one of Few's all-time favorite players for busting himself every time on the floor.

Well, no I didn't "say it", I typed it. But that's the beauty of message boards, people can post opinions that differ from your own, no matter how nutty you may think they are. :D

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2017, 06:29 AM
I just checked and ZN is averaging 11ppg in only 18 mpg. Kid's gonna be a flat out stud.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2250/gonzaga-bulldogs

zag67
11-21-2017, 06:31 AM
I had not expected them to be as solid a team. Kispert on offensive boards. Larsen in protecting the middle. All of our 3 point shooting. Defense at times. The leadership and solid play of our leaders $JW3, Melson, and Perkins. Also the play of Jones for solid defense work (yes errors, but workable)

Tillie and Norvell is going to be solid in the rotation.

Kiispert and Larsen how solid they look and how they will be there in the end of the season

bartruff1
11-21-2017, 07:13 AM
I am with you Woohoo....I will only add that the expectations for Wade were unrealistic.......