• Nov 2013

Morrison says Melson team's leader

....when someone missed defensive play....got vocal
  • bballbeachbum
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
    ....when someone missed defensive play....got vocal
    awesome. the whole backcourt boarded int he 2nd half after basically not doing it int he first half. Silas big leader there too

Comment

• gonzagafan62
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

Can't disagree with him. He's right. Senior leadership is where he's extremely good and I'm glad he's brought that to the table. Ohio State is a big game next weekend and he's really going to have to bring it again. Go zags!
      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
        Can't disagree with him. He's right. Senior leadership is where he's extremely good and I'm glad he's brought that to the table. Ohio State is a big game next weekend and he's really going to have to bring it again. Go zags!
        I was worried that he wasn't being more assertive in the first two games offensively. It good to hear that he is asserting himself on the defensive end. That said, Melson had some big buckets this game, too.

(If he and the rest of the team could quit trying to pull off spin moves for awhile I wouldn't mind)

Comment

• cggonzaga
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

Melson has been great so far this year. He played shutdown defense in the 2nd half tonight.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
            I was worried that he wasn't being more assertive in the first two games offensively. It good to hear that he is asserting himself on the defensive end. That said, Melson had some big buckets this game, too.

(If he and the rest of the team could quit trying to pull off spin moves for awhile I wouldn't mind)
            For sure. I agree with that
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Zags_Fanatic
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2012

It was clear that Silas was the leader of his high school team at Jefferson when most of the team got suspended before the final and Melson rallied the troops to a title. Glad to see him embrace the role now, with Perkins and J3 being more soft-spoken Melson seems like the right choice.

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Silas has yet to assert himself. Right now, there is no leader. We sure could use one. If Silas is quietly asserting himself, so be it. Often it's the player who logs the most minutes......not this year. The available minutes are chopped up pretty well now. No doubt who was the leader last year. Few has a problem. This is a big issue.

Comment

• basketballzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                  For sure. I agree with that
                  Melson has evolved and last night was one of those games that he took over in a very similar fashion that Pangos and NWG did in games of the past. He looks really good.

Comment

• ZagNative
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Abe, you're hopeless, just hopeless. Anyone who couldn't see Silas exercising leadership last night ... well, just hopeless .... Jeez, you've just got to harp on a different kid every week.

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                    Silas has yet to assert himself. Right now, there is no leader. We sure could use one. If Silas is quietly asserting himself, so be it. Often it's the player who logs the most minutes......not this year. The available minutes are chopped up pretty well now. No doubt who was the leader last year. Few has a problem. This is a big issue.

Comment

• Bogozags
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                      Silas has yet to assert himself.
                      Doc I agree, Silas has yet to really assert himself. I have not seen anyone step up and take a leadership role to this point in the season; however, we are playing super defence and that seems to get the "juices" flowing on both sides of the court so the TEAM just seems to be doing quite well without a "leader!" Time will tell if there is a single "leader" or a different leader each game...so far we have had a different leading scorer in each game...NWG was a very unique take-charge player and to date, that type of player has yet to emerge.

I do see CK asserting himself more and more each game...as he gets more games under his belt, we will see him so relaxed playing at this level that we won't think of him as a freshman! He is going to become so difficult for defenders to guard as he easily has the ability to score from outside and take the ball to the rim...

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Special week for Silas Melson as he gets to return to his hometown as a senior and lead the Zags into the PK80, a once in a [Phil Knight’s] lifetime early season tournament that will be the highest exposure event in college hoops this week.

Enjoy the moment Silas...you deserve it after all the hard work, humility and determination you have displayed throughout your career. Let’s go Zags!
                        Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Personal attacks ZN. Nothing new for you when it comes to me. Like I care?...

More to the point though......... Go back and read what I wrote. It's obvious we do not have a leader right now. Nigel was a leader as was Pangos. We don't have a leader ( those two were real leaders....FYI it takes more than points to be a leader) right now but we need one. As I wrote, if Silas is that guy, so be it. Feeling sad over Maynard leaving dear? Don't take your frustrations out on me.......But remember.one game doesn't make a leader. Thanks for your silly comment.
                          And I apologize to the board . It's disruptive to the topic to have to defend myself. I'm not happy to have to respond.

Comment

• 2wiceright
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                            Abe, you're hopeless, just hopeless. Anyone who couldn't see Silas exercising leadership last night ... well, just hopeless .... Jeez, you've just got to harp on a different kid every week.
                            Agree 100 Percent ZagNative. Very few longtime posters need the attention only negativity brings. At least Josh wasn't mentioned in 'this' post. Melson is Melson, but surely is taking over the reigns of this team! That being said I hope the good doc can get back to his usual insightful posts- so much more positives and even constructive observations to talk about- I miss that Abe....
                            "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
                            -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• zag buddy
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2007

What's with the personal attacks when a poster posts their opinion. What is this forum for? Enjoy the differences. Can you not find a grain of truth in each posters post and not focus on your own opinion so much that you can not see the point the poster is making. My God, where has logic and reason gone. When did logic and reason flee and emotional reasoning take over- I feel there fore it must be true, Bull sheet.

Comment

Working...
                              X