PDA

View Full Version : Does this team stay together?

LTownZag
11-16-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm looking forward to a great year of cheering on the zags, and I have high hopes for THIS season. But I'm always wondering about the future.

I do think that, excluding injuries, next year (and even potentially 2 years from now) might see Gonzaga with some of its best rosters ever.
And I will remain excited for that future unless it seems really likely that some of our young core of players will leave early for professional playing, a decision which I completely understand and wouldn't begrudge.

To the basketball experts, pro b-ball watchers, and draft gurus:

What are the chances that Gonzaga's young core 5 (Kispert, Rui, Tillie, Larson, Norvell) all play on the team next year? The year after?

Is it naive to imagine/hope for these 5 together for 3 years?

ZagsObserver
11-16-2017, 10:44 AM
I think you forgot Perkins for 2018. That’s your best shot. Tillie won’t be around beyond that, and maybe not Rui. We will also have another seasoned big man in 2018 who is expected to make an instant impact.

tinfoilzag
11-16-2017, 11:15 AM
I predict GU will have a deep enough run in March this year resulting in Tillie, Rui, and even Josh testing the NBA waters without signing an agent.

Tillie will return to get stonger, Rui will stay to improve his BB IQ, and Perkins will return to improve his Pro stock as a 3-point sniper.

The following year will see GU win the NC game.

LTownZag
11-16-2017, 11:16 AM
So with Clarke (and potentially Perkins) both playing next year - maybe the question comes down to:

Are Tillie, Norvell, Rui, or Perkins leaving after this year? What are the odds?

If they stay, I can't see how we won't be one of the nation's top teams next year. We'd lose just JW3 and Silas, but gain Petrusev, Clarke, Ayayi, and all the others would have another year of experience.

MDABE80
11-16-2017, 11:19 AM
I don't see any of them in the NBA. If GU has a terrific season and those 3 excel, maybe. Right now, I'd say Tillie has a the best shot. Rui needs more and Josh.well, he'll be here unless some fantastic opportunity appears. He's shooting well. No doubt.

bartruff1
11-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Who knows, not even the Shadow.....no one is promised tomorrow so it is prudent to enjoy this team....this year....this game..

zag buddy
11-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Well stated Bartruff. Worry=future, guilt = past, both keep you from living and enjoying the present.

Mantua
11-16-2017, 11:31 AM
I predict GU will have a deep enough run in March this year resulting in Tillie, Rui, and even Josh testing the NBA waters without signing an agent.

Tillie will return to get stonger, Rui will stay to improve his BB IQ, and Perkins will return to improve his Pro stock as a 3-point sniper.

The following year will see GU win the NC game.

I like your confidence. Next year could be the year of our wildest dreams with your scenario. If they make it to the Elite Eight this year, we could easily be looking at recruiting key players next summer. Success in NCAA basketball has a price as we know from experience now. I still haven’t got the psychological adjustment down.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
11-16-2017, 12:10 PM
I prefer to visualize the roster as a depth chart to maximize :drool:ing

PG - Josh Perkins, Jesse Wade
SG - Zach Norvell, Joel Ayayi
SF - Rui Hachimura, Corey Kispert
PF - Brandon Clarke, Filip Petrusev
C - Killian Tillie, Jacob Larsen

That team is sick and stacked. See you in Maui to get it started, guys!

MDABE80
11-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Could be. Powerful team. That team with a superior PG could go the distance. Let's hope the two listed improve their play with time. I hope so. Seriously like Zach. He's a killer. Athletic, long and GOOD SHOOTER. Defense is key to any deep run. Let's hope this unit develops along those lines.

zagdontzig
11-16-2017, 12:28 PM
I think fans are struggling with the merit of having experienced DI teams as opposed to guys that leave early. On the heals of our first McDonald's All-American, and Final Four, I think we may see more and more guys leaving early. That's not a bad thing, but it will take acceptance of a culture change.

In short, I think the time of building a team around guys that will reach 4,500 career minutes are a thing of the past for Gonzaga, and that may be good.

Baseline
11-16-2017, 01:43 PM
I am very curious how the starting lineup proceeds in the future. Most of Zag scoring is coming from the guys that are 3 position players. Corey, Zack, and Rui are all putting up good numbers. Tilie looks good and plays the 4 & 5 well. Larsen is a surprise and may see more floor time. JW3 is showing good rebounding but may be a bit off on his scoring side.
It looks like Corey has been given the 3 slot and Zack and Rui look to be stepping up their games. How does few manage what he has. I see a 2 platoon system possibly developing. Jones and Wade may complicate it more as we go forward.
Are people still holding to the present starting positions or do you see changes?

bartruff1
11-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Few has his lineup ..... and baring a injury or a suspension...... I think he will stick with Perkins, Melson, Williams, Kispert and Tillie.... then off the bench....Norvell, Rui, Larson, Jones, Wade....in that order ....depending on the situation including fouls....I don't see any chance there will be a line change....no platoon ....Calipari tried it for a couple games .....not good...and he has lottery picks on the bench...

I also suspect the first 8 will get the vast majority of meaningful minutes...

webspinnre
11-16-2017, 03:14 PM
Few has his lineup ..... and baring a injury a suspension...... I think he will stick with Perkins, Melson, Williams, Kispert and Tillie.... then off the bench....Norvell, Rui, Larson, Jones, Wade....in that order ....depending on the situation including fouls....I don't see any chance there will be a line change....no platoon ....Calipari tried it for a couple games .....not good...and he has lottery picks on the bench...

I also suspect the first 8 will get the vast majority of meaningful minutes...

I think this seems like a pretty good guess, though I suspect Wade would flip-flop with Jones as he gets up to speed and to give Perkins more of a breather.

Goshzagit
11-16-2017, 03:21 PM
if we're talking past, present, and future, I must admit...

IF NWG and Collins would have stayed, alongside this current crop, we would have walked into the Final 4, imho.

With a superstar PG, C, and PF, and budding young wings and mismatches, not to mention guys like Norvell, Tillie, and Rui off the bench.

U kidding me?

Take down Duke, MSU, Kansas with that experience and lineup.

This year?

I'm thinking a lower seed at best.

Again, fun group, good group, but has a long long way to go. Really just experimenting right now. How will these guys hold up vs a formidable team, even Ohio St?

Time will tell. Could be a struggle.

Its the type of team who could beat Duke one night, and lose to IUPUI the next night. Could go 1-2 in PK80, or 3-0. Just don't know with this group. So inexperienced outside guard position.

GUZag08
11-16-2017, 04:29 PM
The only thing Iíve learned from guys leaving early (and being an Arsenal fan): Just enjoy it while you have them. I would love for Rui and Tillie to stick around for as long as possible. But if thereís only one year of Rui coast to coast dunking on peopleís faces, Iím gonna love that year

DixieZag
11-16-2017, 04:49 PM
if we're talking past, present, and future, I must admit...

IF NWG and Collins would have stayed, alongside this current crop, we would have walked into the Final 4, imho.

With a superstar PG, C, and PF, and budding young wings and mismatches, not to mention guys like Norvell, Tillie, and Rui off the bench.

U kidding me?

Take down Duke, MSU, Kansas with that experience and lineup.

This year?

I'm thinking a lower seed at best.

Again, fun group, good group, but has a long long way to go. Really just experimenting right now. How will these guys hold up vs a formidable team, even Ohio St?

Time will tell. Could be a struggle.

Its the type of team who could beat Duke one night, and lose to IUPUI the next night. Could go 1-2 in PK80, or 3-0. Just don't know with this group. So inexperienced outside guard position.

Yes, along these lines.

I am of the opinion that we really still have no idea what we have, and the answer won't likely come from a home game against Utah State. It might not even come from a neutral court game against Ohio State.

It would take a game against Florida to really see if we have the type of guys willing to fight like last year's team, whether our 3 pt reliant offense (or at least the high octane part) transfers into games against elite talent.

Gosh, I hate to admit it, but we're of the very few teams that almost has to win some of these difficult OOC games b/c other than SMC, there's little to show once in conference.

If I see real poise and strength against the top, Florida, possibly Duke (though I think we'll be underdogs against Florida), then I'll start to get really excited about this years future. Then, later, worry about next year.

I'd sure like to see Kispert have a year under his belt and Brandon Clarke eligible going into the PK80. Of course, JWIII showing some monster performance against the top teams sort of covers up the lack of Clarke this year.

avid-zag-fan
11-17-2017, 06:21 AM
It's amazing how well the staff keeps the team with good with all the variables in players e.g. who develops, who leaves etc. Predicting next year is hard enough but try to project the team's primary needs in 2020 or 2021.

zaguarxj
11-17-2017, 10:55 AM
Will Perkins get his degree this year? He redshirted one year with the injury, so he's in his 4th year, academically.

Hoopaholic
11-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Will Perkins get his degree this year? He redshirted one year with the injury, so he's in his 4th year, academically.

I believe he does

Hoopaholic
11-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Yes, along these lines.

I am of the opinion that we really still have no idea what we have, and the answer won't likely come from a home game against Utah State. It might not even come from a neutral court game against Ohio State.

It would take a game against Florida to really see if we have the type of guys willing to fight like last year's team, whether our 3 pt reliant offense (or at least the high octane part) transfers into games against elite talent.

Gosh, I hate to admit it, but we're of the very few teams that almost has to win some of these difficult OOC games b/c other than SMC, there's little to show once in conference.

If I see real poise and strength against the top, Florida, possibly Duke (though I think we'll be underdogs against Florida), then I'll start to get really excited about this years future. Then, later, worry about next year.

I'd sure like to see Kispert have a year under his belt and Brandon Clarke eligible going into the PK80. Of course, JWIII showing some monster performance against the top teams sort of covers up the lack of Clarke this year.
Agree pk80 and beyond in occ will provide true insight into team composition

Going be fun

seacatfan
11-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Too much uncertainty in college basketball. Enjoy this year now. Next year will take care of itself when its time comes.

MileHigh
11-17-2017, 07:09 PM

Josh will graduate next month