PDA

View Full Version : Joel Ayayi redshirt

doctorzag
11-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Is he injured or redshirting? Played in the exhibition but not a minute in the first two games.

GoZags
11-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Is he injured or redshirting? Played in the exhibition but not a minute in the first two games.

Redshirts are allowed to play in exhibitions.

WallaWallaZag
11-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Redshirts are allowed to play in exhibitions.

by his post, i think doczag knows this...no reports of injury, so i think it's safe to say a standard freshman year redshirt, which makes sense (despite no official announcement)

roxdoc
11-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Guess it depends upon Wade's progress (injury wise)

WallaWallaZag
11-15-2017, 10:53 PM
RB seemingly never discloses RS info. We have a similar situation with our guard from Latvia, Kristers Zoriks, who came in highly regarded via an East Coast academy.
Speaking of recruits, our 3 guys for '18 all signed their LOI's in a timely fashion. Some speculate that our last schollie might be held open for a 5th year senior transfer. I'm sure we aren't alone in that regard. Lastly, we show NO offers outstanding for '19, whereas the Zags have 2 LOI's and 3 offers outstanding. Is it true that GU coaches are required to hang out at the local elementary schools basketball playgrounds ? :clap:

zags rarely pick up guys two years in advance...in this case, it's mostly because the two 2019 guys already committed are locals and the area hasn't been turning out much high-end talent in the recent past.

willandi
11-16-2017, 07:02 AM
RB seemingly never discloses RS info. We have a similar situation with our guard from Latvia, Kristers Zoriks, who came in highly regarded via an East Coast academy.
Speaking of recruits, our 3 guys for '18 all signed their LOI's in a timely fashion. Some speculate that our last schollie might be held open for a 5th year senior transfer. I'm sure we aren't alone in that regard. Lastly, we show NO offers outstanding for '19, whereas the Zags have 2 LOI's and 3 offers outstanding. Is it true that GU coaches are required to hang out at the local elementary schools basketball playgrounds ? :clap:

Zags DO have a couple of long term prospects, but too early for a LOI. Wohoo and TexasZagFan both have up and coming hoopsters that are excited about playing for Gonzaga. They know the bar is set high, so are extra diligent in their work and practice. Not only have to be a great baller, but have to be smart too!

thebigsmoove
11-16-2017, 07:33 AM

What does any of this have to do with the OP? Im at a loss for words as to why anyone here cares about SMCs recruiting efforts? No offense ND, just seems like an attention grab.

TexasZagFan
11-16-2017, 07:46 AM

No need for that Don. The summer camps run by the Zags attracted well over 1000 kids from all age brackets. My son was one of them, and he had the time of his life. Unfortunately, my investment won't pay off until next year, as basketball season started earlier than expected, and he's got scout team duties for the varsity football team. No matter, it was my excuse to spend 4-5 days in Spokane. My wife caught Zag fever, too, spending hours in the Zag store, buying Zag gear for the rest of the extended family.

My grandson (Big D) just turned 7, and the Zags won't have to spend a dime to recruit the kid for the class of 2028 (one way or the other, he'll matriculate there). He received personalized instruction from Corey and Jesse, and the other players couldn't have been friendlier and more accessible.

TexasZagFan
11-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Zags DO have a couple of long term prospects, but too early for a LOI. Wohoo and TexasZagFan both have up and coming hoopsters that are excited about playing for Gonzaga. They know the bar is set high, so are extra diligent in their work and practice. Not only have to be a great baller, but have to be smart too!

We encountered a bump in the road, as mentioned in my previous post. However, he's now over 6 feet...one more growth spurt, and he could reach 6'3". He'll have his junior and senior years, so all is not lost. Truthfully, he's not even close to Division I material, but that's not the point...staying active in team sports is always good.

Big D's dad told me he's in the 8th percentile for his age group, pretty normal for my wife's side of the family.

Nevada Don
11-16-2017, 08:36 AM
No need for that Don.

It was meant to be a compliment highlighting the '19 activity for GU versus ZERO for SMC.
I'll delete the original posting.

TexasZagFan
11-16-2017, 08:39 AM
It was meant to be a compliment highlighting the '19 activity for GU versus ZERO for SMC.

No need for that, Don...it makes more sense now.

webspinnre
11-16-2017, 08:43 AM

You're fine. As far as off-topic posts go, you're not even in the top 75% of most off-topic.

spike_jr
11-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Hey Don, please keep posting that sort of thing. It is always good to hear what other people do, why they do it, and how they go about it. Thanks much!!

CDC84
11-16-2017, 10:24 AM
If Joel can't get any run vs. Howard and TSU, he sure as heck isn't going to get any run next week. I think he's redshirting, and no, I don't expect an official announcement from Gonzaga. But he will certainly be ready should one of the guards go down with an injury.

Worthington
11-16-2017, 10:40 AM
I like the choice to red-shirt him. He's extremely young for a college freshman (only about 17 1/2 years old) and a year of strength and conditioning with Travis Knight will do him a world of good with his current build.

Semi side-note, but has anyone else noticed how much energy he brings to the bench mob? He's one of the first guys off the bench on every big play, high-fiving and bumping chests. Looks like he's having a great time with his college experience

sittingon50
11-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Lighten up a little, smoove. Pretty standard stuff for this forum.

willandi
11-16-2017, 11:34 AM
I like the choice to red-shirt him. He's extremely young for a college freshman (only about 17 1/2 years old) and a year of strength and conditioning with Travis Knight will do him a world of good with his current build.

Semi side-note, but has anyone else noticed how much energy he brings to the bench mob? He's one of the first guys off the bench on every big play, high-fiving and bumping chests. Looks like he's having a great time with his college experience

Maybe they could put him on the rack and stretch him out to 6'5" or so while adding 30lbs of muscle.

TexasZagFan
11-16-2017, 01:46 PM
You're fine. As far as off-topic posts go, you're not even in the top 75% of most off-topic.

I actually wish I was ON topic 25% of the time.

ZagsGoZags
11-16-2017, 02:10 PM
Maybe they could put him on the rack and stretch him out to 6'5" or so while adding 30lbs of muscle.

according to the roster he is already 6'5"

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-16-2017, 03:07 PM

Yes, he looks to be intent on the game and having a great time. I’ve definitely notice and it makes me like him already.

Nevada Don
11-16-2017, 04:29 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if these kids were correctly measured so we would know their actual height (without shoes), rather than their "wanna' be height?" We see some real doozies. Always been a pet peeve of mine I guess.

Don
5' 11" (well not quite)

Saxon_zag
11-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Came to say this same thing. Love how hyped he gets on the bench for any play the guys make, fun to watch. Thought it was cool he was retweeting his teammates (Rui and Killian's) Fiba accomplishments over the summer. Seems like a super great team guy.

Redshirt could do wonders, I didn't realize he was that young! First person to play for the zags born in the 2000s! Crazy

GoZags
11-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Like Kyle Dranginis as a freshman (and others before Kyle) Joel is suited up and ready to play at a moment’if needed. If he isn’t “needed” ie the backcourt stays/gets healthy then a redshirt IS likely. That’s my understanding.

FlyZag
11-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Wouldn't you think he would Redshirt no matter what? I mean how deep of a rotation does Coach Few usually run? Historically, what... maybe 8? On a rarely deep team.. 9? Wouldn't he be the 11th person?

Starters = Perk, Melson, Kispert, J3, Tillie

Then first off bench: Rui--Larsen--Norvell (depending on need)... Then, Jones & Wade... THEN Ayayi.

zag67
11-17-2017, 12:55 PM
I only think if Perk, Melson or Norvell got hurt then you might see it. He adds to defense and speed that would then be needed

seacatfan
11-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if these kids were correctly measured so we would know their actual height (without shoes), rather than their "wanna' be height?" We see some real doozies. Always been a pet peeve of mine I guess.

Don
5' 11" (well not quite)

I hear ya, but height is fairly meaningless anyway. It's all about reach. Maybe they should just list that rather than height.

soccerdud
11-17-2017, 02:32 PM
I hear ya, but height is fairly meaningless anyway. It's all about reach. Maybe they should just list that rather than height.

you're not wrong, but you're failing to grapple with the core issue. they lie about height, they lie about weight... we aren't particularly better off to have them lie about their reach too. more info is always better, but we have a serious issue with the accuracy of all such "measurements" reported publicly by teams and i think THAT is specifically what he was calling out here.

seacatfan
11-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Yeah, but it's such a long tradition of inflating height that it doesn't seem to matter. Especially if everyone is doing it. But at the end of the day it's how you play, not what size you are. Some guys play "bigger" and some guys play "smaller" than their listed height/weight.

DixieZag
11-17-2017, 04:39 PM
Yeah, but it's such a long tradition of inflating height that it doesn't seem to matter. Especially if everyone is doing it. But at the end of the day it's how you play, not what size you are. Some guys play "bigger" and some guys play "smaller" than their listed height/weight.

Agreed. If everyone is doing it - and everyone is - then it's all a wash. I recall Few saying that Karno was a "legitimate 7'0" - says everything you need to know about inflating height.

Hoopaholic
11-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Agreed. If everyone is doing it - and everyone is - then it's all a wash. I recall Few saying that Karno was a "legitimate 7'0" - says everything you need to know about inflating height.

So throw ethics and personal integrity out the window. After all others are doing it...

seacatfan
11-17-2017, 09:11 PM
So throw ethics and personal integrity out the window. After all others are doing it...

I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. Who cares what height is listed on a roster? You can call a guy 8'-10" if you want, obviously he isn't. Like I said before, the ONLY thing that matters is how the guy can play.

Hoopaholic
11-17-2017, 10:00 PM
I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. Who cares what height is listed on a roster? You can call a guy 8'-10" if you want, obviously he isn't. Like I said before, the ONLY thing that matters is how the guy can play.

We can agree to disagree about the seriousness of institutions intentionally falsifying information

When an entity willfully engages in deceit that is an issue but some in society simply don't care anymore about bein honest, acting with integrity and sadly societal members simply shrug and accept

Back on topic I think redshirt will be in his long term best interest

MileHigh
11-18-2017, 08:35 AM
We can agree to disagree about the seriousness of institutions intentionally falsifying information

When an entity willfully engages in deceit that is an issue but some in society simply don't care anymore about bein honest, acting with integrity and sadly societal members simply shrug and accept

Back on topic I think redshirt will be in his long term best interest

Haha....I dont know if this is sarcasm or not, but if it isnt, someone needs to lighten up! Fudging height/weight on rosters has nothing to do with integrity, or honesty. It is pretty much to be expected that roster heights arnt usually accurate. Half the time schools use whatever height the kid listed themselves as in HS. Some use height in shoes, some use height in socks, some use inaccurate measuring devices. At the end of the day no one really cares

JPtheBeasta
11-18-2017, 08:53 AM
According to Einstein, height is mutable. How fast is Ayayi?

GrizZAG
11-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Pertaining to Hoops point. Criminologists have known for years that the only way a human being commits a crime is if they have rationalized it to be acceptable in their mind. I agree culturally we rationalize too much wiggle room in too many things in the USA. Face it, our culture has "issues".

With that said, it is true that fudging on roster height has been practiced forever it seems.

Zagceo
11-18-2017, 09:34 AM
https://s14-eu5.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.northsidebuildings upplies.co.uk%2Fimages%2Fsupplies%2FA-timeless-classic-adidas-originals-black-white-black-women-originals-shoe-shoe-streetball-platform-s-adidas-core-core-ftwr-54ZV.jpg&sp=4822b1386528c327f9728a81de95b996

sittingon50
11-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Think I topped out @ 4'20" in my younger days, but alas gravity has gotten the best of me in my old age!!

MDABE80
11-18-2017, 09:57 AM
According to Einstein, height is mutable. How fast is Ayayi?

He is a bullet JP. Fastest guy on the team. Meech fast..or very close.

Hoopaholic
11-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Haha....I dont know if this is sarcasm or not, but if it isnt, someone needs to lighten up! Fudging height/weight on rosters has nothing to do with integrity, or honesty. It is pretty much to be expected that roster heights arnt usually accurate. Half the time schools use whatever height the kid listed themselves as in HS. Some use height in shoes, some use height in socks, some use inaccurate measuring devices. At the end of the day no one really cares

Reinforced my point....some in society really don't care about honest and ethics

However will keep you in mind next time I have an honesty or ethics issue to make sure it aligns with your view...that is sarcasm BTW

gozagswoohoo
01-12-2018, 08:32 AM
Just revisiting the "Ayayi Redshirt or not" topic. I have done quite a bit of searching this morning, and I can't find ANYTHING mentioning whether or not we've ever got official word that Ayayi is Redshirting. That's fine and all, I get it, the staff really doesn't have to make any announcement on that if they don't want to.

But....I mean...SURELY he is? And refresh my memory on the rules, can they RS him at the end of the season if he hasn't played? Or is the RS something that has to be declared by a certain point/date? There's absolutely no reason to burn an entire year of eligibility for the kid...so the RS has to be coming.

Zagsker
01-12-2018, 08:58 AM
Just revisiting the "Ayayi Redshirt or not" topic. I have done quite a bit of searching this morning, and I can't find ANYTHING mentioning whether or not we've ever got official word that Ayayi is Redshirting. That's fine and all, I get it, the staff really doesn't have to make any announcement on that if they don't want to.

But....I mean...SURELY he is? And refresh my memory on the rules, can they RS him at the end of the season if he hasn't played? Or is the RS something that has to be declared by a certain point/date? There's absolutely no reason to burn an entire year of eligibility for the kid...so the RS has to be coming.

I don't think you have to "declare" at some point during the season...if they end up not playing then you can red shirt at end of year.

The following article is interesting...would like this to become a reality in football and in bball set it at 10 games

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/5/8/15583306/rule-proposal-true-freshman-four-games-bowls-redshirt

Or have it to where if you have to play a player due to a season ending injury on another player, that player who is coming off red shirt is able to retain that status if the team has already played 50% of the regular season games

demian
01-12-2018, 09:00 AM

my son plays football at Idaho State University so I have a bit of experience with this at least from a football standpoint and I might assume basketball is the same. He and many others redshirted during his freshman season. There was never an announcement made regarding it, he said there was never a list posted of redshirts or anything like that. after a few weeks of practice to begin the season it was just basically spoken about between position coach to player in a very low key fashion. To my knowledge any player who does not play a single play after the 10% of schedule (which is what football uses as a cutoff mark) can use that season as a redshirt season. I am guessing basketball has a similar cutoff mark in regards to percentage of schedule, case in point Josh Perkins who played a few games his frosh season before getting injured in NYC if my memory serves me correct. So with a player like Joel Ayayi even though he has not played at all yet, if for some reason attrition started to weaken the Zags roster he could at any point be inserted into a game if the staff felt it was needed. I think most staffs after a certain point of the season try to not rip that redshirt season from a kid who hasn't played at all up to that late stage of the season because they might feel it is a waste of the player and teams long term benefit. I think just at the end of the season they probably submit some info saying the kid redshirted.

WallaWallaZag
01-12-2018, 09:13 AM
my son plays football at Idaho State University so I have a bit of experience with this at least from a football standpoint and I might assume basketball is the same. He and many others redshirted during his freshman season. There was never an announcement made regarding it, he said there was never a list posted of redshirts or anything like that. after a few weeks of practice to begin the season it was just basically spoken about between position coach to player in a very low key fashion. To my knowledge any player who does not play a single play after the 10% of schedule (which is what football uses as a cutoff mark) can use that season as a redshirt season. I am guessing basketball has a similar cutoff mark in regards to percentage of schedule, case in point Josh Perkins who played a few games his frosh season before getting injured in NYC if my memory serves me correct. So with a player like Joel Ayayi even though he has not played at all yet, if for some reason attrition started to weaken the Zags roster he could at any point be inserted into a game if the staff felt it was needed. I think most staffs after a certain point of the season try to not rip that redshirt season from a kid who hasn't played at all up to that late stage of the season because they might feel it is a waste of the player and teams long term benefit. I think just at the end of the season they probably submit some info saying the kid redshirted.

the 10% cutoff is for a medical redshirt, not a freshman year redshirt (can't play at all)...and a medical redshirt must be applied for...playing less than 10% isn't a guarantee of qualifying, though it generally applies.

gozagswoohoo
01-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Appreciate the insight everybody!

kitzbuel
01-12-2018, 10:56 AM
I think 'redshirt' is an unofficial term for not using a year of eligibility. You have five years of eligibility in which to complete your four seasons of competition.

So the question becomes more of; what constitutes a season of competition. Athletes only have four of those. "Division I and II student-athletes who compete for any amount of time during a season use up one season in their sport". Of course there are other provisions for extenuating medical reasons preventing an athlete from being able to compete.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

demian
01-12-2018, 02:26 PM
the 10% cutoff is for a medical redshirt, not a freshman year redshirt (can't play at all)...and a medical redshirt must be applied for...playing less than 10% isn't a guarantee of qualifying, though it generally applies.

Perfect clarification WallaWallaZag, that makes a lot of sense actually.

TheBunnieRancher
01-12-2018, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I believe I came across a link to an article in a french publication that was poorly translated on twitter early in the season where he said he is redshirting and discussed his decision making process. I can't remember if it was one of his own tweets or one the blogs like slipperstillfits or scout retweeting the link. I tried a quick google search without much luck, but I know its out there.

SLOZag
01-12-2018, 05:19 PM
With all the legitimate reporting, offhand observation, fact finding and fake fact touting that we endure regarding our recruiting efforts each year, it never ceases to amaze me that we hear almost nothing, in terms of eye-witness accounts, about the progress and development of our redshirts (including, of course, Ayayi) during the season. Being as how they practice with our starters every day, it seems to me that we should be able to get some informed idea as to how they are coming along. Anyone out there in web world care to offer a thought?

OntZags
01-12-2018, 06:43 PM
With all the legitimate reporting, offhand observation, fact finding and fake fact touting that we endure regarding our recruiting efforts each year, it never ceases to amaze me that we hear almost nothing, in terms of eye-witness accounts, about the progress and development of our redshirts (including, of course, Ayayi) during the season. Being as how they practice with our starters every day, it seems to me that we should be able to get some informed idea as to how they are coming along. Anyone out there in web world care to offer a thought?

Very valid point. I understand last season the scuttlebutt may have been limited given Jacob & Zach's injuries but surely somebody round these parts has some insight. I do recall an article (that I can't seem to find atm) where Few talked about him during his redshirt. His defense seems to be at a high level but his handles & pacing are kinda off. I may be way off this lol but hopefully someone has that article somewhere.

Ayayi stands to figure in a prominent role next season and itd be great to hear some insight on his development.

willandi
01-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Ayayi himself announced that he was going to redshirt. I will try to find a link, but he said he was.

willandi
01-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Here is the link to the interview.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?61577-Joel-Ayayi-Interview&highlight=ayayi