PDA

View Full Version : Which past Zags team does this season remind you of?

Malastein
11-15-2017, 05:14 PM
I keep thinking about the 2008-09 squad when I think about the current roster, especially when they still had Sacre healthy. Iíll post a bit more when I have time, but if enough of the bench players step up I think this team has a higher ceiling with a healthy center on board. Looks like this team has an abundance of wing talent like the 08-09 squad. Not crazy depth at point, but Wade could end up being solid by yearís end...

cggonzaga
11-15-2017, 05:35 PM
I keep thinking about the 2008-09 squad when I think about the current roster, especially when they still had Sacre healthy. I’ll post a bit more when I have time, but if enough of the bench players step up I think this team has a higher ceiling with a healthy center on board. Looks like this team has an abundance of wing talent like the 08-09 squad. Not crazy depth at point, but Wade could end up being solid by year’s end...

None for me. This team is very athletic and long across the board.

gonzagafan62
11-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Yup I think the same thing. Just as flashy but feels a lot better of a shooting team. Bigger at the three. Not as much depth in front court

Outraged
11-15-2017, 08:21 PM
Unlike any other team. Pleasantly surprised. Waiting for a couple more games for validation before I say what I currently feel. I like the fire power of the top ten players. Hope to say the same thing about defense.

gonzagafan62
11-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Unlike any other team. Pleasantly surprised. Waiting for a couple more games for validation before I say what I currently feel. I like the fire power of the top ten players. Hope to say the same thing about defense.

Yes me too. Utah state will be another nice test but I'm looking at the PK80 to see what we are really about

bartruff1
11-16-2017, 04:07 AM
None for me. This team is very athletic and long across the board.

And skilled, although those skills will improve as the season goes on.....like Thursday's Child......if they are willing to play team defense they have far to go.......

thebigsmoove
11-16-2017, 05:21 AM
The closest comparison is honestly last years team. Both teams began the year with a sense of unknown. We didnt really know for sure how NWG, ZBo, KT, J3, and Jordan would mesh with Perk, Si, and Karno. Or even how Karno would recover from his back injury. Things obviously went beautifully. This team has a lot of similar question marks, but seems to have gelled already. It remains to be seen if it can duplicate the success of last years team, but i really like the new pieces (Kispert, Norvell, Larsen) and feel like the remaining guys (KT, Perk, J3, Si) are stepping it up a notch.

bartruff1
11-16-2017, 06:04 AM
Perhaps it was overlooked last year....but Melson had a terrific season.....that guy is solid...like Gary Bell..... he doesn't get the attention he deserves....

cggonzaga
11-16-2017, 06:27 AM
Perhaps it was overlooked last year....but Melson had a terrific season.....that guys is solid...like Gary Bell..... he doesn't get the attention he deserves....

Totally agree. He’s off to a great start this year as well.

TexasZagFan
11-16-2017, 06:31 AM

+1.

This team is unique. Our defense is too tenacious, and this is the most athletic team I think we've ever had.

Taking nothing away from Zach Collins, but our newcomers were undoubtedly the studs on their teams for multiple years. I don't expect them to get frustrated at bad calls like Zach did, but the season is young.

On top of that, we are loaded with sharpshooters from beyond the arc, and Tillie is a zone buster with those floaters from 10-12 feet.

For now, I think our upside is a two seed in the Dance. Villanova is our signature game this year. Our rep will be established in that game.

TexasZagFan
11-16-2017, 06:36 AM
Perhaps it was overlooked last year....but Melson had a terrific season.....that guys is solid...like Gary Bell..... he doesn't get the attention he deserves....

The young man's role has changed during his four years here, though his role at 6th man last year was similar to his sophomore year. Now he's a starter and a leader on the court.

Our starting backcourt (Silas and JP) is 7-2 in the last two NCAA tournaments...Silas is 10-3 in the last 3. Very few players can boast of a record like that. Nothing's going to faze those two. We're in very good hands.

bartruff1
11-16-2017, 06:48 AM
I am telling you...." Tillie can play ".

DixieZag
11-16-2017, 06:56 AM
I think it is near impossible to determine this team's real strengths and weaknesses until we see it perform against a team that is at least in the top 100.

From this point of view, it looks like a team that runs more and is more reliant upon the 3 ball than any we've had in the past. However, that may be solely because they've played teams that simply can't get back and run with them, and there's been little need to pound the ball inside.

Against a Florida or Duke, we may end up pounding the ball inside more to JWIII or Tillie, as they can go athlete for athlete with the big guys.

WallaWallaZag
11-16-2017, 07:05 AM
I keep thinking about the 2008-09 squad when I think about the current roster, especially when they still had Sacre healthy. I’ll post a bit more when I have time, but if enough of the bench players step up I think this team has a higher ceiling with a healthy center on board. Looks like this team has an abundance of wing talent like the 08-09 squad. Not crazy depth at point, but Wade could end up being solid by year’s end...

not a bad comparison...i'd still take the old zags as of right now, though the current version should end up with more depth if everyone stays healthy and keeps developing...rui is the wildcard (and obviously sacre got hurt - crossing fingers for this year)

heytvelt(sr) vs. jw3(sr)
daye(so) vs. tillie(so)
downs(sr) vs. kispert(fr)
pargo(sr) vs. perkins(jr)
bouldin(jr) vs. melson(sr)
gray(so) vs. norvell(fr)
sacre(so) vs. larsen(fr)
meech(fr) vs. wade(fr)
ira brown(sr) vs. rui(so)

i think downs ended up sixth man in the end replaced by gray, so you could swap the matchups around a bit...and since sacre got hurt, you'd have to replace him with will foster

bouldin vs. kispert
gray vs. melson
downs vs. norvell

CDC84
11-16-2017, 09:55 AM
I think this year's team is more athletic and lengthy than the 2008/09 team across the whole roster. They don't have to play zone. They play harder than the 2008/09 team. In fact, the most impressive thing about this year's team thus far is their consistent effort level.

Probably not as much offensive firepower as the 2008/09 crew. For me the 2008/09 GU team was Few's most disappointing team. That team should've been a 2 seed, but they screwed around and got what they deserved by having to play UNC in the S-16. Just no excuse for losing to Portland State at home.

gonzagafan62
11-16-2017, 10:08 AM
I think this year's team is more athletic and lengthy than the 2008/09 team across the whole roster. They don't have to play zone. They play harder than the 2008/09 team. In fact, the most impressive thing about this year's team thus far is their consistent effort level.

Probably not as much offensive firepower as the 2008/09 crew. For me the 2008/09 GU team was Few's most disappointing team. That team should've been a 2 seed, but they screwed around and got what they deserved by having to play UNC in the S-16. Just no excuse for losing to Portland State at home.

Agreed 100%. I was just referencing the pure athleticism. You make some great points and you cannot deny any of them. It's all spot on

NotoriousZ
11-16-2017, 10:55 AM
+1.

This team is unique. Our defense is too tenacious, and this is the most athletic team I think we've ever had.

Taking nothing away from Zach Collins, but our newcomers were undoubtedly the studs on their teams for multiple years. I don't expect them to get frustrated at bad calls like Zach did, but the season is young.

On top of that, we are loaded with sharpshooters from beyond the arc, and Tillie is a zone buster with those floaters from 10-12 feet.

For now, I think our upside is a two seed in the Dance. Villanova is our signature game this year. Our rep will be established in that game.

Donít we have a decent chance of playing a probable #1 ranked Duke in the pk80 championship? I guess that assumes we (and they) win the first two games, but wouldnít that be our signature game (hopefully)?

NotoriousZ
11-16-2017, 11:03 AM
The closest comparison for me would be last year’s team, but that’s because I think they can go as far as them or dare I say win the whole damn thing. However I must admit I’ve felt that way most years lately.

Agree on Melson, always been a huge fan.

Coach Crazy
11-16-2017, 11:14 AM
I think it is near impossible to determine this team's real strengths and weaknesses until we see it perform against a team that is at least in the top 100.

From this point of view, it looks like a team that runs more and is more reliant upon the 3 ball than any we've had in the past. However, that may be solely because they've played teams that simply can't get back and run with them, and there's been little need to pound the ball inside.

Against a Florida or Duke, we may end up pounding the ball inside more to JWIII or Tillie, as they can go athlete for athlete with the big guys.

The beautiful thing about this squad is the balance, though. If you pound it inside and maintain a nice FG%, you have more athleticism to crash the backside, and more 3pt shooters than this team has ever had. So, you can still pivot to those other aspects of offense, even if at first they force the post entry.

From there, it's up to Gonzaga to capitalize, keep up the defensive disorientation that comes with it, and then boat race those high caliber teams out of the building.

And Silas is showing that he found his niche and has progressed in it. He will go down in Zag history as one of the great glue/utility players of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mantua
11-16-2017, 12:05 PM

There were several earlier teams that we expected to shoot the three, especially the ‘99 team as I recall.

TexasZagFan
11-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Don’t we have a decent chance of playing a probable #1 ranked Duke in the pk80 championship? I guess that assumes we (and they) win the first two games, but wouldn’t that be our signature game (hopefully)?

NZ, I haven't paid as much attention to the PK80 matchups as I should. No doubt, playing Duke would be a resume game, but we're playing Villanova in MSG, in the media capital of the world.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Yes me too. Utah state will be another nice test but I'm looking at the PK80 to see what we are really about

Me too. Not to take anything for granted but I predict Zags will defeat THE Ohio State. First true measure of this team’s potential will be Thanksgiving vs Florida. Gators are legit even missing their key big.

TexasZagFan
11-16-2017, 12:51 PM
The beautiful thing about this squad is the balance, though. If you pound it inside and maintain a nice FG%, you have more athleticism to crash the backside, and more 3pt shooters than this team has ever had. So, you can still pivot to those other aspects of offense, even if at first they force the post entry.

From there, it's up to Gonzaga to capitalize, keep up the defensive disorientation that comes with it, and then boat race those high caliber teams out of the building.

And Silas is showing that he found his niche and has progressed in it. He will go down in Zag history as one of the great glue/utility players of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to see Coach K try and beat us with the zone defense he employed against Michigan State. Duke slipped a couple notches in my book with that.