PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else as impressed with Larsen as I was

thespywhozaggedme
11-11-2017, 10:00 AM
First real action in 2 years and looked great; excellent poise and footwork, great post moves, made a great block that was unfortunately called a foul. He had 9/7 in 7 minutes and looked great doing it. To me he looked like what I would imagine a young in shape Karno to look like. Another great "big" in a long line of 'em here at GU!

willandi
11-11-2017, 10:12 AM
First real action in 2 years and looked great; excellent poise and footwork, great post moves, made a great block that was unfortunately called a foul. He had 9/7 in 7 minutes and looked great doing it. To me he looked like what I would imagine a young in shape Karno to look like. Another great "big" in a long line of 'em here at GU!

I agree. 7 minutes, 9 points and 6-7 boards. Given a little seasoning, learning NCAA/WCC basketball and he will be a valuable player for the Zags, our starting center next year.

demian
11-11-2017, 10:16 AM

agreed

BULLDOG#1
11-11-2017, 10:20 AM

yup

Zagdawg
11-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Nailed it

Goshzagit
11-11-2017, 10:52 AM
raw skills. a bit tentative and seems to favor his healthy knee.

he will come around. showed some grit, and smooth shooting stroke.

a lot to work with, but far from build around at this juncture.

it will be neat to see him development and begin to trust his knee again. it was a significant tear/injury. only a year removed.

great to have him, and expect some big time strength and muscle to continue to happen for him. His size is obvious compared to our thin guys this year.

cggonzaga
11-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Played much better in exhibition game. I was impressed how he responded after playing so poorly in the first half. Staff was not happy with those minutes. He came back in with about 6 minutes to go in the game and showed he took to the coaching he received at half. His stats didn’t hurt after he rebounded about 5 of Norvell’s misses. I think Larsen will be a solid backup in due time.

thespywhozaggedme
11-11-2017, 12:19 PM

it will be neat to see him development and begin to trust his knee again. it was a significant tear/injury. only a year removed.

great to have him, and expect some big time strength and muscle to continue to happen for him. His size is obvious compared to our thin guys this year.

I didn't see anything in his game that was raw at all. In fact, I was surprised how polished he was, he didn't panic and always made the right decision. He played great and was anything but raw.

thespywhozaggedme
11-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Played much better in exhibition game. I was impressed how he responded after playing so poorly in the first half. Staff was not happy with those minutes. He came back in with about 6 minutes to go in the game and showed he took to the coaching he received at half. His stats didn’t hurt after he rebounded about 5 of Norvell’s misses. I think Larsen will be a solid backup in due time.

Please tell me how he played "poorly"? He was 3/4 from the field and 3/4 from the line. He did had 2 t.o.'s but that's not unexpected. I think he played way better than I anticipated.

GrizZAG
11-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Can he become more aggressive once he feels more confident? His size and hands alone would sure be great against opposing bigs. I think we have a hidden gem here.

cggonzaga
11-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Please tell me how he played "poorly"? He was 3/4 from the field and 3/4 from the line. He did had 2 t.o.'s but that's not unexpected. I think he played way better than I anticipated.

Go back and watch minutes in first half. I was at the game and Few was not happy with him. Don’t believe he recorded a stat. He didn’t play again until about 6 minutes to go in the game and played much better.

Goshzagit
11-11-2017, 01:35 PM
I didn't see anything in his game that was raw at all. In fact, I was surprised how polished he was, he didn't panic and always made the right decision. He played great and was anything but raw.

Spy, I agree with you about Larsen as a solid player and contributor this season, and has a terrific upside.

You must be referring to the final 2:30 of the game.

Larsen was matched up against a 6'4" guard on offense and that's not a joke or exaggeration.

He displayed some nice footwork on his pivots and even scored some put backs, and from the foul line.

He was mechanical doing these moves vs a player nearly a foot shorter. He should overpower him but I agree, he featured a couple good moves.

Did you watch him vs their 2 (and only) bigs in the 1st half? Very slow to react to play, or the offense, of his moves. More difficult setting up and was very slow to react to rebounds while actually being boxed out in 1st half, or help defense. He was pulled quickly as a result.

This isn't being hard on him, rather reality.

Speed of the game and relearning his body playing at a high level will take time.

Since he only had a handful of practices vs Karno or Collins last season, he has YET to face anyone his size, and he was quickly swallowed up vs their 7'2" guy.

That said, I'm just as excited as you to see him develop this season, as we are going to need his presence, size, & relative skills.

He showed flashes yet in the last minute of the game he was being defended by a guard.

willandi
11-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Go back and watch minutes in first half. I was at the game and Few was not happy with him. Don’t believe he recorded a stat. He didn’t play again until about 6 minutes to go in the game and played much better.

Don't be silly! He had minutes played, and that's a stat! ;);)

whatazag
11-11-2017, 01:46 PM
What I really like is he seems to have a good understanding of where to be on the floor, which leads to being able to get easy baskets on offense and box out and get rebounds on defense.

soccerdud
11-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Spy, I agree with you about Larsen as a solid player and contributor this season, and has a terrific upside.

Larsen was matched up against a 6'4" guard on offense and that's not a joke or exaggeration.

He displayed some nice footwork on his pivots and even scored some put backs, and from the foul line.

He was mechanical doing these moves vs a player nearly a foot shorter. He should overpower him but I agree, he featured a couple good moves.

Did you watch him vs their 2 (and only) bigs in the 1st half? Very slow to react to play, or the offense, of his moves. More difficult setting up and was very slow to react to rebounds while actually being boxed out in 1st half, or help defense. He was pulled quickly as a result.

Speed of the game and relearning his body playing at a high level will take time.

Since he only had a handful of practices vs Karno or Collins last season, he has YET to face anyone his size, and he was quickly swallowed up vs their 7'2" guy.

That said, I'm just as excited as you to see him develop this season, as we are going to need his presence, size, & relative skills.

He showed flashes yet in the last minute of the game he was being defended by a guard.

heckuva post.

thespywhozaggedme
11-11-2017, 02:56 PM

I agree with most everything that you wrote, no problem with that at all, but none of that describes "raw". I just think it was the wrong word choice; perhaps inexperienced?

Goshzagit
11-11-2017, 03:07 PM
I agree with most everything that you wrote, no problem with that at all, but none of that describes "raw". I just think it was the wrong word choice; perhaps inexperienced?

+1

CDC84
11-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Impressive or not, as Fox said during the broadcast last night, he needs to get good and get good in a hurry. He is the only true center on Gonzaga's roster right now. Tillie is really a power fwd. The Zags do not have a wide-bodied 7 footer besides Jacob. He's incredibly important.

MontanaCoyote
11-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Impressive or not, as Fox said during the broadcast last night, he needs to get good and get good in a hurry. He is the only true center on Gonzaga's roster right now. Tillie is really a power fwd. The Zags do not have a wide-bodied 7 footer besides Jacob. He's incredibly important.

I really agree with this. It does and will make a big difference not having a Karno type presence
controlling the paint and getting teams to think twice before penetrating. As I watched last night I was pleased and impressed but kept thinking if this group can go deep in the tourney without "replacing" Shem. Larsen IS "incredibly important."

Coach Crazy
11-11-2017, 05:58 PM
He's big enough and strong enough to be Karno Lite. He was efficient. And we're going to have more mismatches with him in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
11-11-2017, 06:36 PM

I just don’t agree that it’s imperative to this team. Would it help? Yes. I think Larsen will be good but it’s not like he’s going to be playing in crunch time this year unless somebody gets hurt. Having a true center in college basketball is not a must have.

DixieZag
11-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Anyone remember Karno's first year? Many of the same issues, falling all over himself (and 2 others), especially early in the year.

CDC nailed it (not surprising) his development is critical.

But, given it was his first real action in 2 years under the bright lights, and given he plays a position in which experience matters more than any except maybe PG, I think we ought to look for development, more so than negatives now. He won't match up against Duke's big, not yet, but maybe down the line .

Bogozags
11-12-2017, 12:31 PM

Good Post!

He will only get better as the year goes on...stay healthy young man!

Jacob and Brandon will be a tough pair in the post next year...

mgadfly
11-12-2017, 01:35 PM

I went back and watched just him in his 2:44 of action in the first half. I think it grades out pretty well actually and the two buckets he gave up certainly wasn't because he was swallowed up by that 7'2" guy.

There were a few bad plays:
He didn't pinch down on a secondary break and then when the driving guard missed the shot he got pushed under the rim by one of their guards. He made a bad decision to pass to Silas that lead to the missed dunk. He sold-out too quickly for the block when Silas was beat by his guy and allowed the dish and dunk (although 33% of the blame goes to Silas for leaping at the ball fake, and 33% goes to JW3 who didn't rotate on defense because he had his back to the play almost face guarding his man in the corner).

But there were a lot of good plays in the first half as well. He worked hard on Rui's missed free throw attempt right when he came in. He ran back in transition well on a number of plays (including the one where he made the bad pass). Once he switched onto a guard on the drive, walled off the player with text book defense and it went off their player - refs gave the ball to TexSO, but it was perfect defense. Another time he was isolated on that little guard off an inbounds and he stayed with him, walling off again, and the wild dribble was almost stolen by Silas before it went out of bounds. He was called for obstructing a cutter (which is fine, we want him to be a little nasty and physical, and came back two plays later and obstructed a cutter without getting called for the foul - he adjusted just the right amount without getting tentative). He helped on a drive by the guard, and when the ball was dished to his man in the middle of the key, he recovered and didn't bite on the pump fake and played the spin move perfectly. On the fast break he got back, blocked out the 7'2" guy, and allowed our guards to get the rebound. On Rui's secondary break drive from the wing he moves under the hoop and fills the weak side block - smart basketball and the right decision.

Really, watching it again, he was beat twice in weird situations. Once when he sold-out to help Silas. He shouldn't have, but Silas and JW3 put him in a no win situation. Few was mad at him for that play, but when they watch it on film, I think he gets a bit of a pass and the other two hear a little more about it.

He also was beat on the airball, but he tries to block out, gives maximum effort, but the wild shot means their guy can go it somewhere that is unexpected. That's going to happen to the best players.

He had the turnover, yes.
He gave up two buckets, yes.

He talked and communicated on defense, obstructed cutters and gummed up the works, ran well in transition and bounced back quickly from mistakes, and showed good instincts even when switched onto that little guard that was blowing by everyone.

I'm going to give him a B+ for his first half performance.

soccerdud
11-12-2017, 01:45 PM
I went back and watched just him in his 2:44 of action in the first half. I think it grades out pretty well actually and the two buckets he gave up certainly wasn't because he was swallowed up by that 7'2" guy.

He didn't pinch down on a secondary break and then when the driving guard missed the shot he got pushed under the rim by one of their guards. He made a bad decision to pass to Silas that lead to the missed dunk. He sold-out too quickly for the block when Silas was beat by his guy and allowed the dish and dunk (although 33% of the blame goes to Silas for leaping at the ball fake, and 33% goes to JW3 who didn't rotate on defense because he had his back to the play almost face guarding his man in the corner).

But there were a lot of good plays in the first half as well. He worked hard on Rui's missed free throw attempt right when he came in. He ran back in transition well on a number of plays (including the one where he made the bad pass). Once he switched onto a guard on the drive, walled off the player with text book defense and it went off their player - refs gave the ball to TexSO, but it was perfect defense. Another time he was isolated on that little guard off an inbounds and he stayed with him, walling off again, and the wild dribble was almost stolen by Silas before it went out of bounds. He was called for obstructing a cutter (which is fine, we want him to be a little nasty and physical, and came back two plays later and obstructed a cutter without getting called for the foul - he adjusted just the right amount without getting tentative). He helped on a drive by the guard, and when the ball was dished to his man in the middle of the key, he recovered and didn't bite on the pump fake and played the spin move perfectly. On the fast break he got back, blocked out the 7'2" guy, and allowed our guards to get the rebound. On Rui's secondary break drive from the wing he moves under the hoop and fills the weak side block - smart basketball and the right decision.

Really, watching it again, he was beat twice in weird situations. Once when he sold-out to help Silas. He shouldn't have, but Silas and JW3 put him in a no win situation. Few was mad at him for that play, but when they watch it on film, I think he gets a bit of a pass and the other two hear a little more about it.

He also was beat on the airball, but he tries to block out, gives maximum effort, but the wild shot means their guy can go it somewhere that is unexpected. That's going to happen to the best players.

He talked and communicated on defense, obstructed cutters and gummed up the works, ran well in transition and bounced back quickly from mistakes, and showed good instincts even when switched onto that little guard that was blowing by everyone.

also a heckuva post. i re-watched as well and realized that larsen was actually in with the 7'2" guy most of the time, even at the end when he got those 2 layups. it wasn't him vs a guard there.

Coach Crazy
11-12-2017, 01:53 PM
also a heckuva post. i re-watched as well and realized that larsen was actually in with the 7'2" guy most of the time, even at the end when he got those 2 layups. it wasn't him vs a guard there.

It's all about efficiency. If he can produce even at 75% of that at a 7-10+ minute clip, he's going to be on NBA radars next season. He's got a nice mix of size, athleticism (for that size) and skill set. Will be interesting to see how he plays when he's more comfortable on that knee.

Once and Future Zag
11-12-2017, 02:15 PM
In some ways he reminds me more of a RS-frosh Rob Sacre than frosh Karno.

In post game skills, athleticism and understanding of the system, I think he slots in between the two of them (as frosh, RS or not) in each of those categories.

I like what I see, in other words.

cggonzaga
11-12-2017, 04:08 PM

Appreciate the analysis. Think you’re overrating his first half but that’s fine though. If it was good he would’ve played before garbage time in the 2nd half.

One thing I really like is the way he hedges ball screens. Reminds me of Sacre.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share this mgadfly. Fantastic post. Considering this was his first game action in 2 yrs Larsen showed us much more to be excited about than critical of. I loved your detailed breakdown of his minutes. When I re-watched the game this morning I was locked in on Rui. IMHO,he was hugely impactful on the game. I just donít have the time or skill to break down his effectiveness the way you have for Larsen.

Care to share your take on Ruiís minutes? I for one would love to hear your take on Rui.

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2017, 07:42 PM
As I said in the game thread he is a Karnowski clone but much better shape and much more athletic. He's going to be awesome.

Zagdawg
11-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Getting better every game --nice to see.

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2017, 08:00 PM
9/9 tonight!

seacatfan
11-14-2017, 08:01 PM
Definitely impressed.

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2017, 08:15 PM
And he was second on the team in assists with four!

zagamatic
11-14-2017, 08:42 PM
I'm curious if he was this good of a passer prior to getting to watch Karnowski for a year? I just haven't watched any film on him prior to his time with the Zags. Either way, color me impressed after his performance tonight.

bartruff1
11-14-2017, 08:45 PM
super efficient

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2017, 08:46 PM
I'm curious if he was this good of a passer prior to getting to watch Karnowski for a year? I just haven't watched any film on him prior to his time with the Zags. Either way, color me impressed after his performance tonight.

I played point guard and running back in high school and both of thosepositions require "vision". I honestly don't think it's can be taught, I think either you have it or you don't. JW three for example does not have good court vision if he's double down low he tends to force the shot up, but Larsen, like Karnowski has excellent court vision and awareness. I just think it's innate and a coincidence that we have two centers back to back that have such amazing vision and passing ability

LongIslandZagFan
11-14-2017, 08:50 PM
He played solid tonight. Not saying he'll be Karnowski... but he'll be a very good player for the Zags.

bballbeachbum
11-14-2017, 09:00 PM
he's showing some nice things like the vision mentioned, and just a freshman
his arms have been kept straight up and vertical on D so far, another good sign with his length, good bball IQ on first take seems to me
will be fun to see him played straight M2M and see him challenged to operate in the block, that didn't happen tonight
but what's not to like so far?

JPtheBeasta
11-14-2017, 10:11 PM
I was impressed with his feel for the game tonight. He is a quick leaper, and has good hands and footwork. He is not as plodding as Karno looked early in his career. He doesn't have the defensive presence that Karnowski had, but I don't think many will, and Karno's leadership and gravitas on the back end of the defense grew over time, anyway. Larsen's free throw shooting has been impressive. I was worried about lack of depth but Larsen is a really good backup and could start if needed, in my opinion.

It's pretty amazing that Few and Co. keep finding guys like Larsen out there.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-15-2017, 02:48 AM
Very impressed w Larsen for reasons already mentioned. + his fantastic D vs pick and roll. He really understands how to hedge out on the guard until screened defender recovers then rotate back to defend the screener. His ability to do that, physically and mentally is very impressive.

Haven’t looked at the stats but I’m guessing Larsen logged the most minutes last night of anyone. Methinks coaches are both rewarding him for excellent play and getting him in game shape for PK80.

Zaga
11-15-2017, 06:00 AM
I played point guard and running back in high school and both of thosepositions require "vision". I honestly don't think it's can be taught, I think either you have it or you don't. JW three for example does not have good court vision if he's double down low he tends to force the shot up, but Larsen, like Karnowski has excellent court vision and awareness. I just think it's innate and a coincidence that we have two centers back to back that have such amazing vision and passing ability

Hopefully JWIII can improve that part of his game but it is obvious to me as well that it is a problem.

strikenowhere
11-15-2017, 06:11 AM
As I said in the game thread he is a Karnowski clone but much better shape and much more athletic. He's going to be awesome.

This is exactly what I was thinking, especially with a couple of his passes.

CarolinaZagFan
11-15-2017, 06:19 AM
Love what I've seen from the Danish Main Dish so far!

Goshzagit
11-15-2017, 06:45 AM
He certainly appeared more comfortable on the court, and has shown flashes of excellent skills.

Soft hands, fundamental defense, and some good footwork. His size also stands out.

As I posted last year and Coach Few mentioned as well, Larsen was a pleasant surprise from the get-go. His "raw" strength, and hands, and footwork were impressive. He was making an impact last season prior to his injury.

He even has a bit of a dribble drive game I've heard about, which we haven't seen…yet.

His development will be fun to watch this season, as we'll need him vs teams with legit bigs.

Howard was vastly undersized, even for a low major team. Their biggest guy was 6'8", 215lbs.

In our two games, Larsen has been matched up vs a 6'4" guard, and 6'8" bean pole. It will be interesting to see him vs a player even a couple inches taller, or more weight.

I think he'll do well, but I'm craving some actual competition for this team. I think this is the type of team who could beat Duke one night, then lose to IUPUI the next. So many pieces coming together, even from a coaching/lineup standpoint.

I don't think we'll ever see a true 7 or 8 man lineup. Not because we lack depth per se, but because certain players are too important to give this team what its missing. We are balanced because so many players have a unique set of skills we've never come close to before, and almost don't know how to play or coach with it, imho. Playing a lot of lineups in differenct scenarios will be key for this type of team lacking in certain areas. Larsen, Jones, Rui, Norvell, even Wade will be playing all season as a result, they all bring something to the table this team desperately needs, but doesn't have in the main group.

jazzdelmar
11-15-2017, 06:49 AM
Vacated per Spy...

thespywhozaggedme
11-15-2017, 06:53 AM
Getting there on Larsen. More impressed with Kissy and what little we’ve seen of Wade. Haven’t seen vintage JW or Tillie quite yet. Josh and Melson are stable, have not seen any expansion of their weapons, but their talent level is probably good enough. I’m still from Mizzou on Rui. Dunks are the least important talent in BB, right behind giving a foul in a close game. There were 10 kids as talented in the Duke MSU game when it comes to high flying. Need to see him do more on D, etc. Norvell certainly woke up.

This thread is exclusively about Larsen jazz.

thespywhozaggedme
11-15-2017, 06:54 AM
How's this for a nickname:

The Great Dane

Reborn
11-15-2017, 07:11 AM
He is playing great, especially for a red-shirt freshman. He is miles ahead of King Karno when Karno was a freshman. Larsen is a great rebounder, and has great hands and great footwork. He is really really good on defense. I am so glad we have him as we will need someone his size when we play the better teams. I was glad to see Few let him play a lot more last night.

thebigsmoove
11-15-2017, 07:17 AM
The Karnowski comparisons are spot on, and while im sure hes always had vision, his ability to use his position in the post to facilitate out is definitely something he picked up from Karno based on all the tape ive seen of him before he got to GU. Jacob might not be as big as Karno, but hes built very solidly and should be able to more than handle himself in the post as he continues to learn positioning and how to set himself properly in the lane. Im really, really impressed and to be honest, based on previous reports, im not exactly surprised. He was highly touted when he got here and had he not been injured last year, might have had a role off the bench. His addition to the rotation makes me feel so much better about not having Karno anymore. Super excited about his future.

FlyZag
11-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Color me impressed!

For some reason, I thought I had heard he was a bit of a "work in progress"... He looks pretty solid to me. Quick hands, quick decisions. I LOVE that he doesn't bring the ball down like Sacre did. Good footwork, soft touch. But we need to understand he's been playing against considerably undersized and under talented competition. Howard was the 339th ranked (out of 351) team on Kenpom, picked to finish 8th in the MEAC, with no player taller than 6' 8".

I'll be happy if he plays half as good against the teams in the PK80.

strikenowhere
11-15-2017, 07:38 AM
How's this for a nickname:

The Great Dane

Heh that is definitely more flattering than "The Great Danish" :)

thespywhozaggedme
11-15-2017, 07:48 AM
Vacated per Spy...

Aw, c'mon, now your making me feel bad. I just didn't want the thread to get derailed. Your input about The Great Dane is welcome.

kitzbuel
11-15-2017, 09:15 AM
Heh that is definitely more flattering than "The Great Danish" :)

I am always on the look out for a great danish, though.

kitzbuel
11-15-2017, 09:17 AM
I liked to see his passing out of the post. That skill is obviously being driven into him because he did look to pass when he did not see anything inside. If he sharpens that skill, he will be able to gut defenses that try collapsing on him with either our 3pt shooting or the slashing drives of Rui.

WallaWallaZag
11-15-2017, 09:47 AM
so far so good, but haven't seen a single one-on-one post move to score from him yet...he's looking better each time out, but definitely needs some real competition to judge how far he's come and how far he still has to go...

edited to add: just checked out utah state...doesn't look like they have anyone either...they have a 6'11 250 junior from slovenia on the roster, but hasn't played yet this year for some reason. looks like their primary two bigs only go 6'8 205 and 6'6 220 -- expecting another game like howard where zags dominate inside.

thespywhozaggedme
11-15-2017, 09:55 AM
so far so good, but haven't seen a single one-on-one post move to score from him yet...he's looking better each time out, but definitely needs some real competition to judge how far he's come and how far he still has to go...

He was literally doubled every time he touched the ball last night. This actually shocked me but I guess Howard did not want to give up such a huge size advantage so he quickly passed out of the double on a consistent basis

WallaWallaZag
11-15-2017, 09:58 AM
He was literally doubled every time he touched the ball last night. This actually shocked me but I guess Howard did not want to give up such a huge size advantage so he quickly passed out of the double on a consistent basis

yup, so we still don't know if he can actually score with his back to the basket...and doesn't look like we'll find out against utah state either.

jazzdelmar
11-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Nothing but empty calories ingested on cupcakes; one to go until we see some fiber.

Zagdawg
11-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Larsen is looking like he is the real deal --

I like that he is hitting 75% of this free throws (6-8)
Currently shooting 86% from the field -- (I am thinking this % will probably come down some).
Loved the 4 assists -- guys on the team are looking to get into position to get an easy layup when he has the ball.

MDABE80
11-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Jazz speaks and he's usually correct. We need to wade into the schedule next week. Then we'll know more.
So
Far
So good though!

Coach Crazy
11-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Larsen is looking like he is the real deal --

I like that he is hitting 75% of this free throws (6-8)
Currently shooting 86% from the field -- (I am thinking this % will probably come down some).
Loved the 4 assists -- guys on the team are looking to get into position to get an easy layup when he has the ball.

Yeah, it will come down. But as long as it stays in the 40-50 range, he'll continue to get those double's

sittingon50
11-15-2017, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=WallaWallaZag;1337100]

edited to add: just checked out utah state...doesn't look like they have anyone either...they have a 6'11 250 junior from slovenia on the roster, but hasn't played yet this year for some reason. QUOTE]

Was their starting center. Zagdawg started a thread on 9-30 (currently on page #2 of this forum) entitled "Future Opponents News" stating that Janicek had season ending knee surgery.

CDC84
11-15-2017, 02:42 PM
What surprises me about Larsen is that he can actually get off the ground. After Karnowski, I guess I erroneously expected Larsen to be another one of these tall, bulky centers who can't get off the ground much. I mean, he's not Josh Heytvelt, but he's got some athleticism, and it will only get better as he loses more baby fat and trusts his leg more.

The biggest issue with big guys, according to Coach Few, is their effort level. All of their lives they've had it easy in basketball just thru being bigger than other guys on the floor. Larsen appears to love the game. He was competing for rebounds and really battling. I am looking forward to seeing him go up against the high major players next week in Portland.

In case anyone is interested, he chose GU over Maryland and Marquette. Few and Mark Turgeon (MD head coach) are very close buddies.

Zagdawg
11-18-2017, 07:28 AM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Marc Kongsgaard‏
@MKP79
Nov 16
More
Quick notes on Jacob Larsen's (6'11 '97) first 2 games.
- Great vision and passing instinct
- Good ball screens. Really hits the man
- Doesn't panic when the defense double team him
- Is a beast boxing people out and take the rebound
- Good perimeter defense
- Good touch & hands

https://twitter.com/mkp79?lang=en

DixieZag
11-18-2017, 08:28 AM
What surprises me about Larsen is that he can actually get off the ground. After Karnowski, I guess I erroneously expected Larsen to be another one of these tall, bulky centers who can't get off the ground much. I mean, he's not Josh Heytvelt, but he's got some athleticism, and it will only get better as he loses more baby fat and trusts his leg more.

The biggest issue with big guys, according to Coach Few, is their effort level. All of their lives they've had it easy in basketball just thru being bigger than other guys on the floor. Larsen appears to love the game. He was competing for rebounds and really battling. I am looking forward to seeing him go up against the high major players next week in Portland.

In case anyone is interested, he chose GU over Maryland and Marquette. Few and Mark Turgeon (MD head coach) are very close buddies.

Now, I wish the kid nothing but the best, he was a good team mate and seemed like a great guy. But, you just described Ryan Edwards to a T.

He had such good hands, good footwork, soft shot, could even hit FTs. But, playing in Montana, and not playing in competitive AAU really probably set him back b/c he never really ran into another 7' footer in HS (or probably anyone over 6'8) and sort of had his way when the ball was up high. He never really seemed to adjust to the speed and effort needed at this level of D-1.

It seems (though it's early) that he's found a home where he can excel and enjoy playing.

JPtheBeasta
11-18-2017, 08:36 AM
I don't think we need him to be super skilled offensively... at least not yet. He gives good minutes off the bench. He definitely doesn't hurt the team when he is out there, and I think he has shown tools that indicate he will be a good, productive player. He seems to have a good feel for the game, which is something you don't always get. I have friend from Kansas who got so frustrated with one the KU bigs over the past couple of years that was super athletic and should have been way better but never was much of a ballplayer. I was thinking going in to the season that I would be happy if he just held his own on defense but he looks to be much more than that.

GrizZAG
11-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Jock L. is so good at getting up and under the big defenders. He gets it in the hole. How is Larson going to do on that note? JL will eat his lunch if he isn't quicker to react and even then Jock is difficult to defend. Thoughts on this important question since defending our conference streak is paramount?

Zagdawg
11-18-2017, 09:11 AM
For how Larsen will do against Jock--we will need to wait and see--- when Larsen has a another couple of months of basketball experience under his belt things will start to come a bit easier.

For my .02 on conference streak----- I don't care about the conference streak as much as the dance ---if we win the conference great --if not life goes on --- would prefer to see us go far in the dance.

Don't know any kids that come to Gonzaga because they have the opportunity to win a WCC title.

amaronizag
11-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Jock is a group project. Any player assigned to guard him will require LOTS of help. First deny the pass to him, then double and triple team when he gets the ball. Hard to do without getting killed by perimeter shooters, but a balancing act I think this team is up to.

JPtheBeasta
11-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Jock is a group project. Any player assigned to guard him will require LOTS of help. First deny the pass to him, then double and triple team when he gets the ball. Hard to do without getting killed by perimeter shooters, but a balancing act I think this team is up to.

I like the idea of making him defend, too. His problems with foul trouble against the Zags are well documented. Even if he has that aspect figured out this year, at least maybe our group of bigs can make him work hard on both ends of the floor and get him tired. I saw multiple bigs start out well against the Zags last year but run out of gas. With Jock, one can hope...

amaronizag
11-18-2017, 01:20 PM
I agree JP. Take the ball right at Jock hoping he will foul. Yes we had lots of fresh horses last year and wore down many opponents because there was no drop off in offense or defense when the big starters came out for a blow. We're missing a little depth in the paint this year. As others have pointed out, GU has done a great job defending by switching on the pick and roll this year. I can't remember ANY past GU team doing it so flawlessly. St Mary's will be the true test of our ability in that area because nobody runs it like Randy. We have 2 more months to perfect it before we meet them in January.

billyberu
11-19-2017, 02:06 PM
I rewatched the Utah St. game paying particular attention to Larsen late in regulation. His movement away from the ball is impressive. He created a lot of offense, made that zone work, and just his overall effort out there makes me excited for his future. Wish he would have played more.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

webspinnre
11-19-2017, 03:47 PM
While Larsen clearly has some significant areas for improvement, for a freshman he's very impressive. Can't wait to see how he develops. Could be a legitimate star for us down the road.

MDABE80
11-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Each game he's shown more talent. s CDC says, he's not a bulky non leaper. He actually can jump. I've not seen his regress .only improve game by game. SO new in the system and yet he's made his presence known. I'm thinking he'll be an essential player before the season ends. Add it Filip and Clarke next year with Rui and Tillie it looks like we're in pretty good shape. I suspect Larsen will anchor a great frontline next year.

As a note, I thinking Rui's a monster waiting to happen. A bit more experience and he's got a good chance to be superior. All he has to do is match his playing with athleticism and he'll be there.

Bogozags
11-19-2017, 07:19 PM
I rewatched the Utah St. game paying particular attention to Larsen late in regulation. His movement away from the ball is impressive. He created a lot of offense, made that zone work, and just his overall effort out there makes me excited for his future. Wish he would have played more.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

It would have been great to watch him play more in the first half but he got saddled with those two quick fouls in the first half and that eliminated his opportunity to play until late in the second half. He did spark the offence with his three blocks, which I believe led to GU scores...