• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The509sfinest
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jun 2009

Now totally convinced Bilas is an idiot

Only one person can solve college hoops' ills. (We know the NCAA can't do it.) One man can tell you everything that will happen (champs, Final Four faves, best shooters, coaches and defenders) before it happens. Enter The Bilastrator.

Just take a look at this yourself. He has a lot of lists but the only mention of the zags are mark few and Ammo. No Zag this season are on any of his lists which is absurd. St Mary's has a better freshman than Kispert?
  • GonzagasaurusFlex
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by The509sfinest View Post
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ege-basketball

Just take a look at this yourself. He has a lot of lists but the only mention of the zags are mark few and Ammo. No Zag this season are on any of his lists which is absurd. St Mary's has a better freshman than Kispert?
    Silas Melson listed as one of 30 best “in your grill defenders” ...but Bilas still sucks ( though I respect him for his critiques of NCAA). If JWIII not on one of your 5 AA teams then he should definitely be on the “most underrated” list. JWIII getting no respect from anyone.

Even with the tongue-in-cheek humor angle, the entire article is typical Dukie arrogance & elitism.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• The509sfinest
      Kennel Club Material
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
      Silas Melson listed as a lockdown defender...but Bilas still sucks (though I respect him for his critiques of NCAA)
      I agree

Comment

• bartruff1
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

Well, if I read that correctly he says the FBI has criminalized the NCAA Rules ??? What crimes have been committed ???

Why is the FBI enforcing NCAA rules ? I believe Bilas is a lawyer, I am not, but I was puzzled by the whole matter...

Clearing North Carolina was the end of any respect I ever had for the NCAA...

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Bilas has always been an idiot, it is just more noticable since he took over as espn's number one. In bilas' eyes if you are not in the acc you are nothing. He is not smart enough to realize that not everyone in the country worships the acc. If north Carolina and Louisville were not in the acc they probably would have shut the programs down. Tenness coach that changed 2 players grades when he was at southern Mississippi got banned from coaching, taking his livelihood away from him, yet do nothing to north Carolina for doing the same plus having classes that you don't even have to attend. that's the good old ncaa acc conection at work. If you are on probation for a major violation and commit another one that is supposed to be death penalty. Guess what the acc connection is going to pull Louisville through too. If you remember the refs took games away from Arkansas,Kentucky,and the Zags just so we could have an acc national champion. I refuse to watch any acc team play,and will not watch espn period unless it's non acc teams are plating.

Comment

• MileHigh
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by The509sfinest View Post
            http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ege-basketball

I'm not a Bilas fan, he is kind of a blowhard know-it-all if you ask me, but other than perhaps having Tillie on the "underated" list I cant think of any glaring omission of any Zag players on any of those lists. He got Melson on the defender list, which a lot of national folks would have missed. Kispert wasnt even a top 100 ranked recruit so I wouldnt expect him to be on his list of top 30 incoming frosh. As for JW3, he might be one of the top 10 forwards in the country (which would get him on one of those AA lists) but I have no issue with the guys he has on his lists in front of JW3.

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

The ESPN analyst I respect the most is Dicky V. I really believe that two years ago St Mary's should have been invited into the NCAA nation tournament. That was a very good St Mary's team who beat Gonzaga twice. The cool thing about Gonzaga this year is that we don't have any BIG GUNS returning off of last year's team. We are way under the radar and I like that and I believe many many GU fans like that too. Kind of like the old days, no respect.
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• MileHigh
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                Well, if I read that correctly he says the FBI has criminalized the NCAA Rules ??? What crimes have been committed ???

Why is the FBI enforcing NCAA rules ? I believe Bilas is a lawyer, I am not, but I was puzzled by the whole matter...

Clearing North Carolina was the end of any respect I ever had for the NCAA...
                As a former Prosecutor, I can shed some light as to how this is criminal behavior. The FBI was able to indict those guys because they are charged with various federal offenses related to Criminal Fraud. Basically, the coaches and agents are charged with defrauding the universities and in doing so causing the schools economic harm. The fraudulent acts were paying recruits and paying current players/families. The economic harm caused is potential loss of revenue due to almost certain NCAA sanctions.

In other words, the defendant's , through their fraud, caused the schools to be in violation of NCAA rules, which made the schools "victims" of fraud.

Clear as mud?

Comment

• B-hamZag
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Jan 2010

I actually like him, he gets to the point and can explain his opinions really good. Sure this article did not talk a lot about Gonzaga but I have heard him many times praise our program. I remember last year him saying how it was one the most unbelievable college basketball stories becoming a powerhouse in a mid major league. Plus he grew a beard for Karno! He is not perfect but I like him more then Big Ten Lover Dakich.....

Comment

• GrizZAG
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2009

Bilas knows where the big money is and kisses select Arses, plain and simple. He is sharp but is definitely the definition of east coast bias. The Billas Bias let's say.

The team that arguably was the best in the nation last year is almost invisible in his analysis. That alone demonstrates the case in point.
                    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2015

OK, but the way I see it at this point is that any put downs, slights or failures to give either the Zag's or our deserving players their just dues provides a real chip on the shoulder incentive to the team and players. Fans, too. Not a bad way to
                      start the climb up the rankings ladder and the recognition both team and players deserve. Say you?

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                        Silas Melson listed as one of 30 best “in your grill defenders” ...but Bilas still sucks ( though I respect him for his critiques of NCAA). If JWIII not on one of your 5 AA teams then he should definitely be on the “most underrated” list. JWIII getting no respect from anyone.

Even with the tongue-in-cheek humor angle, the entire article is typical Dukie arrogance & elitism.
                        Not going to get worked up over this sort of thing at the start of the season. If, by the start of conference play, the indifference by the likes of this guy toward the Zags still exists, then I will really be pizzed. Or, I will be very disappointed with the performance of this new Zags team. There are unbelievable golden opportunities in the form of Florida, Duke and the Ville. Compete at a very high level against these teams and the BB world will take notice.

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

Did he grow the beard as promised?
                          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

• bartruff1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MileHigh View Post
                            As a former Prosecutor, I can shed some light as to how this is criminal behavior. The FBI was able to indict those guys because they are charged with various federal offenses related to Criminal Fraud. Basically, the coaches and agents are charged with defrauding the universities and in doing so causing the schools economic harm. The fraudulent acts were paying recruits and paying current players/families. The economic harm caused is potential loss of revenue due to almost certain NCAA sanctions.

In other words, the defendant's , through their fraud, caused the schools to be in violation of NCAA rules, which made the schools "victims" of fraud.

Clear as mud?
                            Yep....thanks....it seems like a real stretch but the logic is clear....

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

His opinion that D-1 basketball be limited to 120 teams (from 351) will never happen. The two weeks of Championship Week leading up to Selection Sunday gets everyone's attention, which leads to the best ratings for ESPN and other channels...followed by Selection Sunday and the first two weeks of the Dance.

Comment

Working...
                              X